Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Norman now an unrestricted FA (Merged)

Bravo

The fact that the Panthers pulled the tag off of him should be enough for teams to stay away.  He's asking for Revis money and I'm not saying he does or doesn"t deserve it but the Colts have enough invested (financially) in the back end as it is imo.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy has bought into his media hype. No one knew this guy his first few years in the league.

Carolina will be fine. My personal opinion is that he looked better because of the team he was on.

If you're a CB away from being legit and have money to spend, here's your guy, but no way you break the bank on this guy.

7 hours ago, IinD said:

This guy has bought into his media hype. No one knew this guy his first few years in the league.

Carolina will be fine. My personal opinion is that he looked better because of the team he was on.

If you're a CB away from being legit and have money to spend, here's your guy, but no way you break the bank on this guy.

Yeah, when you have that LB corps in front of you, things are a bit easier.  Kuechly and co, are the key to that D. 

2 hours ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

Jacksonville needs him, they lack CB's and they have the money and system. 

Yeah, but he want California.. he's heading to Oakland or SF or the Rams/Chargers.  He said he wanted the west coast lifestyle and doesn't want to play anywhere else.  Unless all 4 pass on him, he'll end up at one of them.  I hope he's not in JAX... they've become scary enough.... 

8 hours ago, BOTT said:

What's with the pedophile?

When I first read that line under new submissions on the forum, SW1 was like "Huh, Norman is a what?" 

Then, I read all the entries in that thread & went oh okay, it's a Jackson 5 frontman joke mocking the dancing symbol. I get it. 

You have a way with words BOTT that gets noticed. 

On 4/21/2016 at 8:04 PM, Bluefire4 said:

I have my money on the Bucs.

You're probably not wrong there, Tampa Bay fans are all over this. 

Tampa also signed Brent Grimes, if they pick up Norman that's bad news for Saints fans. Both Grimes and Norman have haunted us over the years. 

51 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

So....did people forget we signed Patrick Robinson or what?

Patrick Robinson is horrible. You guys are going to love him when he gets burned, burned, and burned some more. He absolutely cannot cover the deep ball, and he is too small to defend the big receivers. I watched him for 4 years in N.O. and he was terrible. Norman would be a huge major upgrade over Robinson. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He wont be happy there after a season or 2, that team has 0 chance of even making it to the Championship Game. I guess he loves money better than winning.

Just glad he isn't in the AFC South or on Patriots. If he had gone to NE I might have said they win it all again. 

But, the other major push late was from the Saints I read but they probably could not offer nearly as much. I would think he would have wanted to stick it to a division rival going to New Orleans but money talks it seems for this one.

This loss will hurt the Panthers though......there is no way they have a fortunate 15-1 season again. 

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

Just glad he isn't in the AFC South or on Patriots. If he had gone to NE I might have said they win it all again. 

But, the other major push late was from the Saints I read but they probably could not offer nearly as much. I would think he would have wanted to stick it to a division rival going to New Orleans but money talks it seems for this one.

This loss will hurt the Panthers though......there is no way they have a fortunate 15-1 season again. 

I am extremely happy he went to Washington. I was really fearing the Patriots would find a goofy way to sign him haha or the Jags or Titans would land him. I was hoping he would stay in the NFC and he did thankfully so It wont affect us. Carolina wont Repeat as NFC Champions, not even really because of this but this doesn't help. It's just tough to do anyway. Losing a player like that hurts, no way to sugarcoat it.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He wont be happy there after a season or 2, that team has 0 chance of even making it to the Championship Game. I guess he loves money better than winning.

Well...   that may be true this year....   but he's got a 5-year deal,   it's quite possible Washington could reach the playoffs during that window of time.     Besides,  Carolina played hardball with Norman and lost.    Don't take it out on the player.      He got paid and then some.

I suspect that there are some NFL GM's who are not happy with Washington's GM, Scott McCloughin right around now.    $50 Mill guaranteed?    For Norman?      Heck, Revis only got $39 Mill.

17 hours ago, Bogie said:

Patrick Robinson is horrible. You guys are going to love him when he gets burned, burned, and burned some more. He absolutely cannot cover the deep ball, and he is too small to defend the big receivers. I watched him for 4 years in N.O. and he was terrible. Norman would be a huge major upgrade over Robinson. 

Robinson is no world beater, but as much of an upgrade as Norman is over Robinson. Robinson is an upgrade over Toler... So I will take it!

On 22. april 2016 at 11:19 AM, Bogie said:

Just because he was crap playing in your defense doesn't mean he'll be crap playing for the Colts. He was decent for the Chargers, and he could be decent for the Colts, which is what we need after the abomination that was Greg Toler.

A change of scenery, i.e. schemes, teammates or overall culture can do wonders for some players, which it did for Robinson in San Digego. So for you to say he'll get "burned, burned and burned some more" for the Colts is nothing more than a guess. You dont know anything about how he will perform, and if he performs like he did when outside NO, Colts fan dont care that he was crap playing for your team.

16 minutes ago, James said:

Just because he was crap playing in your defense doesn't mean he'll be crap playing for the Colts. He was decent for the Chargers, and he could be decent for the Colts, which is what we need after the abomination that was Greg Toler.

A change of scenery, i.e. schemes, teammates or overall culture can do wonders for some players, which it did for Robinson in San Digego. So for you to say he'll get "burned, burned and burned some more" for the Colts is nothing more than a guess. You dont know anything about how he will perform, and if he performs like he did when outside NO, Colts fan dont care that he was crap playing for your team.

Not to mention the fact that the whole Saints Defense isn't very good. No cb can cover forever, and they haven't exactly been leading the league in sacks or pressures in NO.  Lowery looked bad on the Falcons abysmal Defense, and I was pretty impressed with him here. I'm willing to give Robinson the benefit of the doubt for now. 

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm confused with this whole thing....

$75 mil overall.... $50 mil guaranteed?  $15 mil a year I would think Carolina might have gone for something close to that...

..He asked $18 and I read they were offering about $13...

What happened here?

Guaranteed money was a big factor I think. Plus Carolina probably didn't want to hand him that much money based on one good season. One good season doesn't earn Revis type money. And who knows, maybe Carolina knows something we don't. Maybe he is just a product of the system and the Panthers know it. 

6 hours ago, Dustin said:

Washington got a great player.

It's the weirdest thing for me. 

He's apparently not a guy who causes issues off the field, he's a very good player.. yet the Panthers never seemed to have any intent of signing him to a long term deal. Odd given the premium at the position for a shut down corner. I guess the question then is do you think he's in that tier and the Panthers don't? :dunno:

I assume the Panthers felt Norman was more a product of their zone scheme having safety help than anything else.  They must of had doubts that he was a true shutdown guy in the mold of Revis.   I do think Norman is a really good player though.  

On 4/22/2016 at 1:34 AM, JPFolks said:

Yeah, but he want California.. he's heading to Oakland or SF or the Rams/Chargers.  He said he wanted the west coast lifestyle and doesn't want to play anywhere else.  Unless all 4 pass on him, he'll end up at one of them.  I hope he's not in JAX... they've become scary enough.... 

He couldn't have landed any further from the west coast.

On 4/21/2016 at 3:09 PM, Valpo2004 said:

This seems to me to be similar to the Evan Mathis situation.  Philly dumped him late in the game in FA too and all he could get was a 1 year deal.  

Now Norman isn't as old as Mathis is, but it's doubtful that many teams are going to fork over a big money multi-year deal at this stage.  

A 1 year deal with maybe a team option on it seems likely.

Like I said.  Norman is a far superior player.    I knew he would get a big contract 

Gotta wonder if the marketing types got to him....put a bug in his ear about not signing with Carolina.

He'll be going up against OBJ twice a year

Marketing and media types are going to love hyping up the thug-vs-thug matchup during the season..

17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm confused with this whole thing....

$75 mil overall.... $50 mil guaranteed?  $15 mil a year I would think Carolina might have gone for something close to that...

..He asked $18 and I read they were offering about $13...

What happened here?

Last summer, Carolina offered Norman a five-year deal worth $37.5 million, with $15.5 million guaranteed.  But Josh decided to pull a Joe Flacco, bet on himself and had an excellent year (though he was falling off at the end of the season). So then Carolina used the six-year, $63 million deal signed by Byron Maxwell last year as a comparable and came in with an $11 million a year offer, according to league sources. Norman was looking for Reavis type of money.  Thus, the sides were never close to an agreement.

The Panthers originally gave Norman’s agent permission to pursue (unsuccessfully) a trade, but decided to cut Norman loose rather than deal with the prospect of a holdout that might have dragged into training camp and the preseason.

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It's the weirdest thing for me. 

He's apparently not a guy who causes issues off the field, he's a very good player.. yet the Panthers never seemed to have any intent of signing him to a long term deal. Odd given the premium at the position for a shut down corner. I guess the question then is do you think he's in that tier and the Panthers don't? :dunno:

A GM told a Sirius XM NFL Radio host off air that you have to know what you are getting in Josh Norman.  He stated you are getting a front zone CB that thrives in certain schemes.  He is 'not ' press man ' "shutdown" defensive back in the mold of Reavis.

I think he is well suited for Cover 2, Cover 3, and quarters in zone schemes.  Not so much in Cover 0 or cover 1 man to man.  Let's see how he is used, and if he produces now that he 'got paid'.

Thanks CBF.

If I'm hearing what you're saying correctly, it sounds like Carolina made a shrewd move.

If they had $11 mil budgeted for Josh..they were never going to get near $15 ....much less $18

...They can draft a corner..cost controlled for 4 or 5 years..

.........and live with him with the other stars they have on that defense...

..and they have money left over for offensive help for Cam

19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Thanks CBF.

If I'm hearing what you're saying correctly, it sounds like Carolina made a shrewd move.

If they had $11 mil budgeted for Josh..they were never going to get near $15 ....much less $18

...They can draft a corner..cost controlled for 4 or 5 years..

.........and live with him with the other stars they have on that defense...

..and they have money left over for offensive help for Cam

Once  it became obvious that Norman wasn’t going to agree to a long-term deal with the team, they started looking in other directions.

“The more we thought about it, the more flexibility that $14 million would give us,” Gettleman said.

So it appears Gettleman came to the realization that extensions for players such as defensive tackles Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei, etc...  was going to be better use of the cash than getting one  more year from a cornerback in a system that allows fifth-round picks to grow into a starting job.

PFT sources...

23 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He couldn't have landed any further from the west coast.

I just quoted what all the networks were reporting.... ESPN said it was a direct quote on multiple shows... maybe none of those teams made him an offer

So question is what moves do the redskins have to make to get under the cap with him and their draft picks. I'm sure there are some restructuring to be done but my guess is Pierre gets cut and they look for another wr in the draft. I think they save 8 million if they do. He has really suffered from poor qb play but I think he would be a nice fit for several teams...including the wr needy Carolina Panthers.