Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Norman now an unrestricted FA (Merged)

Bravo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We don't have the cap room.    Not even close.     Not for a guy who wants $16 Mill a year.

If we got creative maybe. I think we have 18 million but we still have Andrew to sign long term and draft picks but if we wanted it bad enough we could do it.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would still be a big loss if he does leave. He shuts down must WR's, look what he did against Beckham. He seems like the leader of that team as well along with Cam.

Zone teams don't value corner at 16 million a year.    That's a ton of money.     They prefer to put the money in the front 7

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I bet he ends up in the AFC South.   Jags or titans

ESPN was saying California so Oakland, San Francisco and maybe maybe LA. But what do they know. They even briefly mentioned CB needy teams and said the Colts but I still say Oakland or Jacksonville with Oakland being my pick. I think Titans are too far away and have a plan to build a team through the draft. By the time the team is ready to compete josh would be out of his prime. I think Oakland is closer and maybe Jacksonville. That said teams do weird things. Nobody thought the Saints could afford Jarvis Byrd a few years ago...maybe a dark horse emerges like a GB or Pittsburg or Baltimore.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If we got creative maybe. I think we have 18 million but we still have Andrew to sign long term and draft picks but if we wanted it bad enough we could do it.

For what it's worth....

NFL.com just made a list of likely landing spots for Norman -- including,  Carolina -- and the Colts are not on the list.      Doesn't mean we won't kick the tires.    But it sure sounds like this deal might be done with someone by perhaps next Monday.        So, I suspect no one will have to wait too long...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000654030/article/2016-nfl-draft-bosa-atop-edge-class-short-on-quality-depth

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't know the pats cap situation.   It will take a team with plenty of room though

I think they are pretty strapped. Like 5-6 million. I just looked and I will add Cleveland to my mix of teams. My top 5 is 1. Jacksonville 2. Oakland 3. Cleveland 4. San Francisco 5. Chicago 

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Are you forgetting the 115+ million contract the Colts have to give luck?  Norman will not be a Colt.   

You are most likely right but we do have the 8th most cap dollars left but that Luck contract indeed is still left and to sign our rookies. The factor for us that works in our favor...we don't have any other players worthy of a big contract in the next couple years and we have a couples guys still that we could cut after the draft and save some money. Still not likely as you say though.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth....

NFL.com just made a list of likely landing spots for Norman -- including,  Carolina -- and the Colts are not on the list.      Doesn't mean we won't kick the tires.    But it sure sounds like this deal might be done with someone by perhaps next Monday.        So, I suspect no one will have to wait too long...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000654030/article/2016-nfl-draft-bosa-atop-edge-class-short-on-quality-depth

Yep it wouldn't make a lot of sense with Luck still needing a new contract but we certainly could use another star on that defense.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You are most likely right but we do have the 8th most cap dollars left but that Luck contract indeed is still left and to sign our rookies. The factor for us that works in our favor...we don't have any other players worthy of a big contract in the next couple years and we have a couples guys still that we could cut after the draft and save some money. Still not likely as you say though.

Yeah,   gms can get creative,   but 30 million a year in your corners is a huge chunk.  We shall see what happens.    It won't take long for him to find a home

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would still be a big loss if he does leave. He shuts down most WR's, look what he did against Beckham. He seems like the leader of that team as well along with Cam.

I doubt Norman is a leader on that team.  Unless constantly running your mouth means you're a leader.

Oakland is in that situation Seattle was a couple years ago. Qb making pennies...young up and coming team. They are building a solid pass rush. Add Norman to smith and that secondary looks real good too. Allows them to look at more help on offense in the first and then add to that front 7 later where the meat of the draft is. If they are moving next year they could have an exciting young team by then. I think them and San Francisco go hard on him.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would sign him! He is awesome! Imagine he and Vontae playing together.

I hope we don't sign him. Sure he's good but he wants 18+ million which is just way too much. That's almost elite QB type money. Someone else can give him that money.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think they are pretty strapped. Like 5-6 million. I just looked and I will add Cleveland to my mix of teams. My top 5 is 1. Jacksonville 2. Oakland 3. Cleveland 4. San Francisco 5. Chicago 

Bears are weak on the corner.....they have the QB (Its Jay, I know)  locked in at a decent price...

Just added Freemen and Trevethan at LB.////They need to show some 'D' on Packer Sundays

No big money pay days due in the next year or two (except for maybe Kyle Long and Alshon Jeffrey)

.....if he wants to play in Chicago....(not always a garden spot for free agents) .that could happen..

I just would never pay $18 mil for a corner

This seems to me to be similar to the Evan Mathis situation.  Philly dumped him late in the game in FA too and all he could get was a 1 year deal.  

Now Norman isn't as old as Mathis is, but it's doubtful that many teams are going to fork over a big money multi-year deal at this stage.  

A 1 year deal with maybe a team option on it seems likely.

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

This seems to me to be similar to the Evan Mathis situation.  Philly dumped him late in the game in FA too and all he could get was a 1 year deal.  

Now Norman isn't as old as Mathis is, but it's doubtful that many teams are going to fork over a big money multi-year deal at this stage.  

He is a far superior player to Mathis.  He will get a big deal

29 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

He'll get a minimum $14M APY contract from someone. 

On 4/20/2016 at 7:18 PM, Solon said:

I say screw it, go for him. He'd be happy playing alongside a fellow shutdown corner. He can only help the Colts.

If Norman doesn't go to a team that plays the Seahawk D philosophy, he will possibly fail (at least not be nearly as good and not live up to his money demands, as many Free Agents do.  Josh is a face the quarterback, front zone cornerback.  Not a press man CB.  Don't the Jags have Gus Bradley?  If Jax uses Seattle D scheme, than the Jags makes sense while the Colts hybrid 3-4 press/man not as much. But we do go zone at times where Norman would thrive, but Davis less so.  I'm not in favor at the end of the day.

Josh Norman's franchise tag (around 14 million guaranteed for 2016) would have put him at #4 on the CB pay list.  The 11 mil + per year Gettleman was going to offer in a long term contract would have put him 7th.  Sure, Norman needs to strike when / if the iron is hot and maximize his income.  But by the same token, True press / man corners like Talib and Harris are only making 8.5 to 9.5 million right now.  I wonder if any GM will even offer 14 mil per, let alone above that which is what I guess Norman wants.  For Gettleman to just rescind the offer at this point tells me they we multi-millions a year apart on a long term deal, and thus the change of heart.  If no long term deal is workable, then a 14 million one year(full cap hit) deal isn't nearly as palatable.  So do it (make JN a free agent) before the draft, and use that 14 million on the other (now 53 less Norman) guys and team.

Interesting to see if JN would go back to Gettleman and see if that 11+ / yr is still on the table after he sees his market value and it doesn't seem any or much above that mark?  I heard JN fired and got a new agent too.  Still need to check and verify that.