Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our divisional "party" is over

WoolMagnet

This division is going to be crazy this year.  Four young and exiting QBs should battle for the next decade.  I really like bortles.  He looks like the real deal in all areas.  Mariota is dangerous and will only improve.  Osweiler appears to have the tools and should be at least adequate with that defense.  And quietly the jags have really improved their talent.  I look for them to surprise this tear.  The Titans should really improve talentwise with the recent additional picks.

I'm not sure the Colts are even #2 in the division AT THE MOMENT.  Our QB is coming off a pretty big injury and we have questionable talent at many positins.

Theres still the draft and cuts to improve our overall talent level.  However, its becoming more obvious just how much the gap in the division has closed.  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the OL and defensive needs.

but make no mistake, its gonna be a nail-biter this year. And thats if things go well.

keep the faith

I honestly hope everyone does get better.

I feel like being so dominant for so long has been a detriment to us in regard to being exposed and usually beaten when we face tougher teams outside the division. Sometimes beaten badly.

Everyone getting better will force us to keep up. 

I've also hated having no true rivalries for a while now in the South. 

Honestly, is any Colt fan truly glad our division is now tougher and improving?

And if so why lol.

Instead of going 6-0 in our division and cruising to the division title WE INSTEAD have to play our butts off to be 4-2!

Instead of positioning ourselves with a bye and homefield advantage we will be in a dog fight to just make the playoffs(if we're lucky) and will have a much tougher road to any Super Bowl aspirations.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

And if so why lol.

Instead of going 6-0 in our division and cruising to the division title WE INSTEAD have to play our butts off to be 4-2!

Instead of positioning ourselves with a bye and homefield advantage we will be in a dog fight to just make the playoffs(if we're lucky) and will have a much tougher road to any Super Bowl aspirations.

I think it sort falls in line with the thinking that you play your starters even after you clinch the division (obviously with the exception of those nursing bad injuries).  The idea is to keep everyone sharp and don't rest on your laurels, if you will.

Taking that mindset, if we're playing against higher level of competition for division opponents we have to raise our level of play over a longer period of time, which equates to "no rest".  Remember, " metal sharpens metal", or whatever Chuck always says, lol.

I'm actually glad the division is getting better.  Over time it will make us a better team.  Playing against top talent brings out the best in competitors.

Just my opinion...

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

And if so why lol.

Having a weaker or stronger division is over rated IMO.  The only key to winning a super bowl is to be playing better than the other team come playoff time no matter how you get there. There have been a few wild card super bowl winners.

I am glad the division has gotten better and I agree there are no more gimme's for us in the division.  That being said at this point I am a little concerned and hope that we address our needs in the draft.  It is on our management to ensure we fill our needs and add talent where we can outside of the obvious needs.

With the division getting better at least we wont have to listen to how playing in a bad division makes us look better than we are.

I still have confidence we will win the division this year but it will be a fight and much more entertaining than it has been in years.

GO COLTS

Like BOTT said off season predictions and projections dont mean squat. Too many people hyping the jags up and I get this feel they will believe their own hype and take a back step. Houston is Houston so as long as Luck plays in those games I think we get the better end of the deal like always. Still feel we will beat Tennessee as always but maybe not as wide of margins as usual.

IMHO that "party" as you call it was over last year:

@Tenn:  Getting 33 dropped on us by a rookie QB, needing a historic 4th quarter to even survive

Jax:  Needing OT and missed FGs by their kicker to survive IN OUR OWN HOUSE

@Hou:  Needing a STUPID personal foul from Hopkins (remember the camera panning to O'Brien saying, "WHYYYYYYYYY did you DOOOOO THATT????????????") and an even STUPIDER interception from Hoyer (remember the camera AGAIN panning to O'Brien saying, "WHYYYYYYYYY did you DOOOOO THATT????????????") just to survive.  Houston had that game won and just handed it to us.

@Jax:  That fiftyburger tasted like $%^&

Hou:  Even without Luck we can't beat a Brandon-Weeden-QBed team at home????  Really????

Tenn:  This was more like a pre-season game - Mettenberger and Tanney vs. Freeman and Lindley LOL

That look like an easy trip through the division?

12 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

IMHO that "party" as you call it was over last year:

@Tenn:  Getting 33 dropped on us by a rookie QB, needing a historic 4th quarter to even survive

Jax:  Needing OT and missed FGs by their kicker to survive IN OUR OWN HOUSE

@Hou:  Needing a STUPID personal foul from Hopkins (remember the camera panning to O'Brien saying, "WHYYYYYYYYY did you DOOOOO THATT????????????") and an even STUPIDER interception from Hoyer (remember the camera AGAIN panning to O'Brien saying, "WHYYYYYYYYY did you DOOOOO THATT????????????") just to survive.  Houston had that game won and just handed it to us.

@Jax:  That fiftyburger tasted like $%^&

Hou:  Even without Luck we can't beat a Brandon-Weeden-QBed team at home????  Really????

Tenn:  This was more like a pre-season game - Mettenberger and Tanney vs. Freeman and Lindley LOL

That look like an easy trip through the division?

Houston did have the game won; the Colts were ahead the entire game.

11 hours ago, IinD said:

I honestly hope everyone does get better.

I feel like being so dominant for so long has been a detriment to us in regard to being exposed and usually beaten when we face tougher teams outside the division. Sometimes beaten badly.

Everyone getting better will force us to keep up. 

I've also hated having no true rivalries for a while now in the South. 

Generally, it is a good thing if the division gets better but the problem is the other divisional teams appear to be getting better and the  Colts have fallen back to the pack as opposed to staying where they were and having the other teams come up to their one-time contender level.  The later scenario would push them.   The former just diminishes their odds of making the playoffs.  Essentially, we are just one of several average to mediocre teams in the division who will have to dogfight for what is likely to be one playoff spot and the right to a first round ouster against the stronger playoff teams in the AFC.  

I feel like this Colts franchise is trending in the wrong direction and the problem is a serious one because it starts with the leadership structure in place.  Hope I'm wrong but right now I don't have a good feeling about this upcoming season or our Super Bowl prospects so long as the franchise is under the direction of the Irsay-Griggson-Pagano triumbriandt.

This is not a bad thing in my opinion, it will guard against complacency. Back in the Manning days the Jags and Titans routinely competed for wildcard spots and the Colts had some of their best years then. Been hearing this "the Colts are ripe for overtaking" argument since then too. We'll it's been going on two decades now and it hasn't happened. I'll take my chances with the best QB in the division and the only franchise with an actual culture of winning.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Generally, it is a good thing if the division gets better but the problem is the other divisional teams appear to be getting better and the  Colts have fallen back to the pack as opposed to staying where they were and having the other teams come up to their one-time contender level.  The later scenario would push them.   The former just diminishes their odds of making the playoffs.  Essentially, we are just one of several average to mediocre teams in the division who will have to dogfight for what is likely to be one playoff spot and the right to a first round ouster against the stronger playoff teams in the AFC.  

I feel like this Colts franchise is trending in the wrong direction and the problem is a serious one because it starts with the leadership structure in place.  Hope I'm wrong but right now I don't have a good feeling about this upcoming season or our Super Bowl prospects so long as the franchise is under the direction of the Irsay-Griggson-Pagano triumbriandt.

You have no clue if the Colts have fallen behind. You may have an opinion but IMO the Colts are not close to the trash as what you believe. A couple of players here and there and the Colts have already proven they can beat anyone in the league. Even at 8-8 they beat Denver and took Carolina into over time and had a good chance of winning that game. A team does not do that by being trash.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have no clue if the Colts have fallen behind. You may have an opinion but IMO the Colts are not close to the trash as what you believe. A couple of players here and there and the Colts have already proven they can beat anyone in the league. Even at 8-8 they beat Denver and took Carolina into over time and had a good chance of winning that game. A team does not do that by being trash.

Agreed, CC1. With a couple of defensive & OL moves, this team becomes much more formidable. If the Colts can obtain these critical players from this draft & on, the franchise really isn't that far away as some would think.

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

And if so why lol.

Am I ecstatic? No

I am however somewhat excited! I want the Colts going into the playoffs having beaten good teams. When they play cupcake teams in their division all season it's easy to get into the playoffs but not easy to win in the playoffs. Anything can happen sure but knowing the Colts got in because they were good means more than then getting in because their division is so so. 

13 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agreed.

but those who are only familiar with division titles handed to us every year are in for a wakeup.  It will be interesting to say the least.

Some call it dominate for so many years, i know i was watching a lot of bad football these last 4 years.
 We watched a lot of bad football while Manning was here also, we just outscored all the bad to average teams, and some of the good ones. Then it was Too Often, BAM - One and Done.
 This new coaching staff must overcome Irsay/Grigson and Chuck. A lot to ask.

11 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

we are still better than all 3, Houston arguably got worse tying up 17 mil a year signing Brock

That doesn't make sense. Brock is likely better than anyone they've had at QB. His price tag doesn't change that. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That doesn't make sense. Brock is likely better than anyone they've had at QB. His price tag doesn't change that. 

That remains to be seen.  I tend to agree with Nesjan3.  Not because of the money they spent, but if it turns out that Brock was no better than he was in Denver when defenses figured him out, it will set the franchise back again.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's any better than average.

I am excited about the division getting better. Creates more exciting games and a sense of earning what we get. Still, though, it all comes down to Luck returning to his former self, being healthy and the players around him stepping up. Very much looking forward to this season. 

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That remains to be seen.  I tend to agree with Nesjan3.  Not because of the money they spent, but if it turns out that Brock was no better than he was in Denver when defenses figured him out, it will set the franchise back again.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he's any better than average.

Their QBs last year were not average. I think Brock can play, he's not worth $18m/year, but he's better than Hoyer and Mallett, and there's no doubt about that to me. 

Even if he's not better, he's not worse, so they didn't get worse because of signing him. It's also a stretch to say that it will set them back. 

As long as we have a healthy Luck the Colts are contenders for the division.

Honestly past having the capability of putting up a lot of points with Luck and the wr corp and our kicking game. This Colts roster is the weakest in the division at every other aspect of the game.

52 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

As long as we have a healthy Luck the Colts are contenders for the division.

Honestly past having the capability of putting up a lot of points with Luck and the wr corp and our kicking game. This Colts roster is the weakest in the division at every other aspect of the game.

I will hold out comment until I see what the Titans do in the draft.  They could get a lot better with 7 picks in the first 5 rounds.  But, overall, I agree.

If we only get one starter in the draft at the interior O-line, edge, or ILB, we could vastly improve this year, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Am I ecstatic? No

I am however somewhat excited! I want the Colts going into the playoffs having beaten good teams. When they play cupcake teams in their division all season it's easy to get into the playoffs but not easy to win in the playoffs. Anything can happen sure but knowing the Colts got in because they were good means more than then getting in because their division is so so. 

But now that our division is getting tougher it might be a while before we get back in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Their QBs last year were not average. I think Brock can play, he's not worth $18m/year, but he's better than Hoyer and Mallett, and there's no doubt about that to me. 

Even if he's not better, he's not worse, so they didn't get worse because of signing him. It's also a stretch to say that it will set them back. 

Of course it's all speculation at this point, but let's say for the sake of argument that Osweiler is no better than Mallett, Hoyer, etc.  

That sets the franchise back the same way Gabbert and Locker did for their respective teams.  The teams invested in them and had to give them every opportunity to succeed.  Not all their fault, but neither team moved forward during their time.

Houston is obviously a better team and they're going to rely on their D in the same way Denver did.  And they're counting on Osweiler not to lose games ala Hoyer.  Until he proves otherwise, he's the 4th best QB in our division IMO.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

But now that our division is getting tougher it might be a while before we get back in the playoffs.

Well if we want to get into the playoffs the Colts have no choice but to be a better team.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The word "trash" is yours  not mine.  I said the Colts are one of several average to mediocre teams in the division.  8-8 = average.  Average teams are inconsistent hence beating Denver and losing to teams like the  Saints & Jets.    Trash to me would be a team more on the Cleveland Browns level.