Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our divisional "party" is over

WoolMagnet

With all those picks the Titans got from the Rams, the power gap in our division might shift in the next couple years. I hold faith that we have enough "in-house" talent already, coupled with great drafting we can still be the cream of the hopefully upwardly trending Afc South. Like many others, I gladly welcome improved division play. Will prepare us for the playoffs. 

I really don't buy into that a tougher division will prepare us for the playoffs. In fact a tough division can prepare us the stay home come playoff time. If we do get in playoffs in can hamper our record, seeding, home field advantage and byes.

Now one good thing a tougher AFC South can do is EXPOSE our management & coaching. And that will hopefully bring in more qualified people to run our team. But unfortunately if that happens we will have to wait atleast 2 seasons to get a Harbaugh/Myer/Parcells kind of people here.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:15 PM, WoolMagnet said:

This division is going to be crazy this year.  Four young and exiting QBs should battle for the next decade.  I really like bortles.  He looks like the real deal in all areas.  Mariota is dangerous and will only improve.  Osweiler appears to have the tools and should be at least adequate with that defense.  And quietly the jags have really improved their talent.  I look for them to surprise this tear.  The Titans should really improve talentwise with the recent additional picks.

I'm not sure the Colts are even #2 in the division AT THE MOMENT.  Our QB is coming off a pretty big injury and we have questionable talent at many positins.

Theres still the draft and cuts to improve our overall talent level.  However, its becoming more obvious just how much the gap in the division has closed.  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the OL and defensive needs.

but make no mistake, its gonna be a nail-biter this year. And thats if things go well.

keep the faith

Jacksonville's offense scares the hell outta me. Bortles is essentially a clone of Andrew & the Allen bros are emerging superstars along with Yeldon & Julius Thomas is a top 5 TE when he's healthy. If Marquise Lee ever gets his stuff together, look out.

23 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Generally, it is a good thing if the division gets better but the problem is the other divisional teams appear to be getting better and the  Colts have fallen back to the pack as opposed to staying where they were and having the other teams come up to their one-time contender level.  The later scenario would push them.   The former just diminishes their odds of making the playoffs.  Essentially, we are just one of several average to mediocre teams in the division who will have to dogfight for what is likely to be one playoff spot and the right to a first round ouster against the stronger playoff teams in the AFC.  

I feel like this Colts franchise is trending in the wrong direction and the problem is a serious one because it starts with the leadership structure in place.  Hope I'm wrong but right now I don't have a good feeling about this upcoming season or our Super Bowl prospects so long as the franchise is under the direction of the Irsay-Griggson-Pagano triumbriandt.

While I'm not a Grigson fan, youre nuts. These teams haven't even drafted yet let alone played a single game. On paper, yeah they look stronger but a year ago, the experts said the colts were superbowl champs. Paper proves nothing at this point. Let's wait before we start saying the colts have collapsed.

15 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

With all those picks the Titans got from the Rams, the power gap in our division might shift in the next couple years. I hold faith that we have enough "in-house" talent already, coupled with great drafting we can still be the cream of the hopefully upwardly trending Afc South. Like many others, I gladly welcome improved division play. Will prepare us for the playoffs. 

I agree , I would expect this division to be a dog fight from now on. Jags have a pretty decent QB and a young improving D. That moronic Rams trade , if they play it right, along with a potentially good QB, has the Titans in position to at least be competitive soon, although maybe not this year. And the Texans , as long as they have a good D, are always tough . I still think we are the favorites, but they got to get that Oline fixed somehow.

On 4/16/2016 at 6:08 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

Honestly, is any Colt fan truly glad our division is now tougher and improving?

And if so why lol.

Instead of going 6-0 in our division and cruising to the division title WE INSTEAD have to play our butts off to be 4-2!

Instead of positioning ourselves with a bye and homefield advantage we will be in a dog fight to just make the playoffs(if we're lucky) and will have a much tougher road to any Super Bowl aspirations.

Actually being the top dog in a cupcake division has been detrimental the Colts have been paper tigers & nothing more we need stiffer competition to beat the top teams .  Sports are like chess you don't get better playing losers to be the best you gotta beat the best . I never saw Ali fighting girl scouts he took all comers with great success . 

Bring on the new & improved AFC South our Colts need to float like a butterfly & sting like a bee & be afraid of no man . 

We'll make the playoffs & when we do our Colts will be better than ever thanks to stiff competition . 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

While I'm not a Grigson fan, youre nuts. These teams haven't even drafted yet let alone played a single game. On paper, yeah they look stronger but a year ago, the experts said the colts were superbowl champs. Paper proves nothing at this point. Let's wait before we start saying the colts have collapsed.

The Colts have already fallen back to the pack.  That was evident last year with Houston winning the division and our 8-8 record.  Luck injury is no excuse because Indy was a mediocre 2-5 with him under center.  Further evidence can be found in the now annual shellacking administered by the Pittsburgh and New England over the past few years.  Additionally, our mediocre record against teams outside the division provides further evidence.  The Colts have issues that will take more than one offseason to resolve.  They are further away from being a legit contender for the Super Bowl than some here care to admit.

On April 16, 2016 at 8:15 PM, WoolMagnet said:

This division is going to be crazy this year.  Four young and exiting QBs should battle for the next decade.  I really like bortles.  He looks like the real deal in all areas.  Mariota is dangerous and will only improve.  Osweiler appears to have the tools and should be at least adequate with that defense.  And quietly the jags have really improved their talent.  I look for them to surprise this tear.  The Titans should really improve talentwise with the recent additional picks.

I'm not sure the Colts are even #2 in the division AT THE MOMENT.  Our QB is coming off a pretty big injury and we have questionable talent at many positins.

Theres still the draft and cuts to improve our overall talent level.  However, its becoming more obvious just how much the gap in the division has closed.  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the OL and defensive needs.

but make no mistake, its gonna be a nail-biter this year. And thats if things go well.

keep the faith

The other teams are definitely improving, but aside from Houston, I think they're still 1-2 years away from being legit threats to the Colts with a healthy Andrew Luck.

24 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The Colts have already fallen back to the pack.  That was evident last year with Houston winning the division and our 8-8 record.  Luck injury is no excuse because Indy was a mediocre 2-5 with him under center.  Further evidence can be found in the now annual shellacking administered by the Pittsburgh and New England over the past few years.  Additionally, our mediocre record against teams outside the division provides further evidence.  The Colts have issues that will take more than one offseason to resolve.  They are further away from being a legit contender for the Super Bowl than some here care to admit.

Perhaps. But part of me wants to say that the entire team was affected by the lockerroom and front office drama. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Uhhhhh you do realize we were just in the AFCCG 2 years ago right? And keep in mind we've given the reigning SB champs all types of fits over the years despite them having an elite defense. And other top dogs in the AFC such as the Chiefs, a healthy Ravens team, & Bengals we too have given them fits over the years. I'll give you our issues against Pittsburgh & NE, but that's mainly due to the fact our offense hasn't shown up & put the defense in bad spots & that's a no no against Ben & Brady.

As for the division, just how good is Houston's defense? The way I see it, it's JJ Watt being legendary year in & year out & when he doesn't dominate, they struggle. Remember what we did to him IN HOUSTON last year on Thursday night? Take him off Houston, I guarantee you they'll be 1 of the NFL's worst. Jacksonville got much better this offseason, but will Malik Jackson live up to that $90M contract? Unless he turns into the 2nd coming of Reggie White, he likely won't Now if Fowler can return from injury & give them a pass rush & Marks stays healthy alongside Jackson, then we could be in some trouble. Their offense is what scares me to death since Bortles is on the verge of being an annual MVP candidate & the Allen bros along with Thomas at TE are gonna raise hell for the foreseeable future & I haven't even mentioned the 2 headed monster they now have a RB with Ivory & Yeldon.

Tennessee has all those picks now, but it remains to be seen what they do with them. They pick quality players, then again, more trouble for us. Mariota is on the come up, but it'll all mean nothing if they can't protect him. 1 bad season doesn't mean we're far away from being back in the SB hunt. Just have to keep 12 upright along with him cutting down on the silly turnovers & we'll be back playing deep into January again.

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Actually being the top dog in a cupcake division has been detrimental the Colts have been paper tigers & nothing more we need stiffer competition to beat the top teams .  Sports are like chess you don't get better playing losers to be the best you gotta beat the best . I never saw Ali fighting girl scouts he took all comers with great success . 

Bring on the new & improved AFC South our Colts need to float like a butterfly & sting like a bee & be afraid of no man . 

We'll make the playoffs & when we do our Colts will be better than ever thanks to stiff competition . 

Football is not like going to the gym and adding more weight to the dumbbell to get stronger. Stiffer competition is not going to make us better. Better talent on the field, sideline, and front office is what we need.

I see no positive to a tougher schedule Patriots played the least amount of quality opponents and there track record is  the best in the playoffs in the last decade  . Don't give me that more prepared hot garbage .

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

I see no positive to a tougher schedule Patriots played the least amount of quality opponents and there track record is  the best in the playoffs in the last decade  . Don't give me that more prepared hot garbage .

I wish I could give you more than 1 like for above post.

On 4/17/2016 at 11:59 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I really don't buy into that a tougher division will prepare us for the playoffs. In fact a tough division can prepare us the stay home come playoff time. If we do get in playoffs in can hamper our record, seeding, home field advantage and byes.

Now one good thing a tougher AFC South can do is EXPOSE our management & coaching. And that will hopefully bring in more qualified people to run our team. But unfortunately if that happens we will have to wait atleast 2 seasons to get a Harbaugh/Myer/Parcells kind of people here.

if we cant beat the south, then we dont deserve a super bowl anyway.  its not like we have been winning them with a weak division either

i welcome a more competitive division, it could even be good for us

edit- look at seattle, they came one game short of three straight SB appearances, and they play in a tough division.  you have to worry about being great yourself, and not how good or bad the division is

21 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Love these Colts are doomed threads.  Entertaining.

I know I don't get all the hype in here by some Colts fans regarding the Jags and Titans. When was the last time either was relevant. I am not a big believer in Brock Osweiler either. As long as Andrew stays healthy we will probably win the Division. I would like to see us have a good Draft though as we have several weaknesses that need filled.

On April 16, 2016 at 10:21 PM, IinD said:

I honestly hope everyone does get better.

I feel like being so dominant for so long has been a detriment to us in regard to being exposed and usually beaten when we face tougher teams outside the division. Sometimes beaten badly.

Everyone getting better will force us to keep up. 

I've also hated having no true rivalries for a while now in the South. 

I was with you LD up until your last sentence. It's like a handsome rich guy saying "It's such a burden being the only wealthy single guy in my zip code. Oh well, all these trophies to take home at my leisure." Now, trophies can either mean pretty eye candy or multiple division trophies. Take your pick. 

In all seriousness, Houston has won a couple of AFC South Division crowns themselves. Let's not forget that. 

I do agree though that more evenly matched division foes can only help us in the playoffs LD moving forward. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I don't get all the hype in here by some Colts fans regarding the Jags and Titans. When was the last time either was relevant. I am not a big believer in Brock Osweiler either. As long as Andrew stays healthy we will probably win the Division. I would like to see us have a good Draft though as we have several weaknesses that need filled.

Speaking strictly for myself, the Titans don't scare me, but the Jags give me cause to pause because they are like a little brother that you always school in basketball & then 1 day they rise up, elbow in the mouth, & you start to bleed. Your younger sibling doesn't hate you. He just wants to show you that being your whipping boy doesn't last forever.

Translation: Jacksonville knows INDY very well. Our tendencies I mean & they're very patient. That defense will keep them in games until the Jags make the 4-5 plays to decide if little bro can do some intimidating of his own. 

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I was with you LD up until your last sentence. It's like a handsome rich guy saying "It's such a burden being the only wealthy single guy in my zip code. Oh well, all these trophies to take home at my leisure." Now, trophies can either mean pretty eye candy or multiple division trophies. Take your pick. 

In all seriousness, Houston has won a couple of AFC South Division crowns themselves. Let's not forget that. 

I do agree though that more evenly matched division foes can only help us in the playoffs LD moving forward. 

Nice quote you had there, I did like that.

Pretty sad honestly (for Texan fans ) that 2 of those division titles we lost recently our QBs were out.

You have to agree it's been a while since you've hated Jax and Tenn. 

Division games last few years haven't had that same 'panache'. Definitely hated Jax during Leftwich's and early in Garrard's run. Also hated McNair and Vince Young in their runs with TN.

I will gladly accept the division crowns either way though, rivalries or not.

I love these "Colts have thrived in an easy division" threads that pop up on here constantly. Since 2002 realignment how many times has a  team other than the Sucriots made the playoffs from the afc east? How many times has a  team from the afc south, other than the Colts, made the playoffs. The answer seems to imply it is the Sucriots who have been the beneficiaries of playing in a "weak division". I never hear the media talking about the extreme weakness of the afc east, but based on playoff participation since 2002 it sure looks like a paltry division to me.

13 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I love these "Colts have thrived in an easy division" threads that pop up on here constantly. Since 2002 realignment how many times has a  team other than the Sucriots made the playoffs from the afc east? How many times has a  team from the afc south, other than the Colts, made the playoffs. The answer seems to imply it is the Sucriots who have been the beneficiaries of playing in a "weak division". I never hear the media talking about the extreme weakness of the afc east, but based on playoff participation since 2002 it sure looks like a paltry division to me.

You're absolutely right about that. The only team in the East who's won any playoff games since realignment outside of NE is the Jets. Buffalo can't even sniff the playoffs & Miami got there when Brady was out & they got their teeth kicked in by the Ravens. Titans got to the AFCCG in 02, won @ Baltimore in the wild card round & gave NE all they could handle in Foxboro the following week in the 03 playoffs.

They also won 10 games in 07 & was the #1 seed in 08. Jacksonville had the 3rd best record in the AFC in 05 behind us & Denver at 12-4. They went 11-5 in 07 & won a playoff game @ Pittsburgh. Houston was on the fast track in 11 to get the #1 seed before Schaub went down for the season but they still won 10 games, won a playoff game vs Cincy & gave the Ravens a run for their money in Baltimore & they went 12-4 the following season & beat Cincy again in the playoffs before going down @ NE.

On April 19, 2016 at 1:56 AM, IinD said:

Nice quote you had there, I did like that.

Pretty sad honestly (for Texan fans ) that 2 of those division titles we lost recently our QBs were out.

You have to agree it's been a while since you've hated Jax and Tenn. 

Division games last few years haven't had that same 'panache'. Definitely hated Jax during Leftwich's and early in Garrard's run. Also hated McNair and Vince Young in their runs with TN.

I will gladly accept the division crowns either way though, rivalries or not.

Thanks LD. True, Jacksonville & Tennessee are not legitimate contenders & they haven't been for quite some time. No argument there. I'm not saying the Jags are a real threat yet, but that defense could pose a problem for Luck knocking him around though that's all. 

Sure, a division crown is nice anyway you can obtain it competition or not. 

On 4/17/2016 at 6:35 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

Football is not like going to the gym and adding more weight to the dumbbell to get stronger. Stiffer competition is not going to make us better. Better talent on the field, sideline, and front office is what we need.

Your half right . Stiffer competition will make my Colts better , Coaching was a impediment IMO & obviously I'm right we have new coaches it does'nt matter if you have better talent or not if the coaches suck they just suck , Ever heard of coaching up what you have ? Thats what good coaching is all about yes we need extra talent & better scouting as far as drafting goes , Even a blind man can see that however IMO the coaching is the biggest denominator & that has been taken care of & the front office & Pagano are tied at the hip they will succeed togeather or get fired IMO I give them 2 years to put the Colts on top Offensively & Defensively the clock is ticking ..

I'm sorry did I say you were half right ? I apologize your just wrong ..:nono:

I am excited for the improved teams.

It should mean better games, and better competition.

It also means more respect for our division, thus more respect for the winner of our division.

But, if we can put together a solid core of O-linemen, and develop at least the threat of a run game, we should still be in close contention for the AFC south division winner