Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thank you #18!

MTC

As most of you know by now, Chris Mortensen from ESPN has reported that Peyton Manning will announce his retirement on Monday. Peyton has played 18 seasons in the NFL and has been a huge influence on and off the field.

To celebrate his success we should all comment your favorite memory of Peyton or any highlight and how much he meant to this franchise.

Super-Bowl-Two-Rings-_News.jpg

Dear Peyton,

You are the only reason I was ever invested in football. Your determination and hard work to be great is inspiring to all and I am so blessed to have seen you in a Colts uniform. Thank you for bringing the Vince Lombardi Trophy to Indianapolis. You're the GOAT!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Peyton

People here think I dont like you because I have an open mind to the short comings of the colts during your tenure, however my opinion doesnt deter my love and respect for you and what you did for the colts. you were the reason I wanted to be a colts fan in the first place while giving me the love I have for football and for that I thank you. 

I will remember how we went on an absolute high speed expressway to the basement as soon as Peyton

was seriously injured....and couldn't play in 2011.....

....He was my favorite QB but even I didnt realize how much he was carrying the Colts....

1998-2011 was truly the golden era. The excitement on Sundays, the anxiousness come playoff time, the rivalry with the Pats, the amount of times this team left the field victorious, and most importantly, just getting to watch Peyton Manning was such a privilege. 

I'm obviously grateful that we have another stud on this team, but I think the fact that we got Luck, coupled with our jealousy of the Patriots (they got 3 rings we only got 1) really blinded some of us to the greatness that Peyton accomplished in Indianapolis. Peyton will always be a Colt. 

Go Colts

I think seeing and hearing the enormous amount of respect he's earned from players and coaches alike, both teammates and opponents alike,  says it all.

Not to mention his love for the game, his dedication to the game, his big heart in giving back to the communities he's lived in,  his sense of family,  his sense of humor, the way he's handled himself during times of adversity, and the list goes on and on.

We became season ticket holders in 2000, mainly due to Peyton, and we have a lot of memories as a family going to games at RCA Dome and then LOS.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the athlete and the man, and I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to pursue in his retirement.

Even though there is a better chance of me becoming WWE Champion than Peyton reading this, I'd like to say thank you for all the great memories. Going to feel weird watching football with no Peyton, but alas this happens to everyone. Thanks for being a good dude in a business that could use a lot more Peyton's and a lot less irresponsible immature millionaires. 

to many things I could list, there isnt just 1 favorite moment or thing he did

He simply overwhelmed me with precious memories, inspirational leadership, respect for the game , others, both players and the public, all his charitable foundations, his appreciation of the games history and the predecessors that he would give credit to for inspireing him, the way he handled himself at media sessions and in general , the way children can use him as example of PURE CLASS    etc etc etc 

He added so much to the NFL by playing that a massive Void will now exist

I become a colts fan because of Peyton manning since I'm a California native. I remember being 9 years old and seeing him on Nickelodeon teaching us viewers how he throws a football. Then in 2006 I was the only one rooting for the colts in a house full of bear fans and they WON! So from then on I became a fan and enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you 18!!! Now it's time to frame your jersey 

The AFCCG against NE the SB year is my favorite Manning moment.

My off-the- field favorite moment is the SNL skit where he beaned all the kids...

I'll vote for Peyton for president when we inevitably get to the point in this country where we only elect celebrities and Kardashians... It's coming...

He's the GOAT... Thanks for the memories. 

1 hour ago, bayone said:

to many things I could list, there isnt just 1 favorite moment or thing he did

He simply overwhelmed me with precious memories, inspirational leadership, respect for the game , others, both players and the public, all his charitable foundations, his appreciation of the games history and the predecessors that he would give credit to for inspireing him, the way he handled himself at media sessions and in general , the way children can use him as example of PURE CLASS    etc etc etc 

He added so much to the NFL by playing that a massive Void will now exist

You summed it up pretty well Barry. He changed not only the way pocket QBs play the game he changed the way QBs mentally played the game.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I liked the way he ran offensive practices...

He knew what everyone was supposed to do so caches trusted him to lead.

Never heard of anyone else doing that

True. I can remember one practice I went to where Peyton was lined up in the linebacker position. Later on he was ask about it he all he said was he needed to see what the field looked like from the linebackers eyes.

Let's face it, Manning is the reason why the Colts are still in Indianapolis. He is a reason why football is in some ways is more popular than basketball in central Indiana. He changed the losing culture of this team.

I am very greatful to have seen him play in person more than 100 times. 

God bless you #18

I remember when I realized that Peyton and the Colts had virtually eliminated the fullback position.

I don't know if the 3 WR plus the TE one-back offense was truly an offense before the Colts went to it..

Most teams use it now but the Colts made it their basic set with Peyton. Before that, it was just a 2-minute speciality offense

I don't know exactly when it happened  but it changed the sport. Now QBs are expected to run that

Here's Goodell's entire statement:

"Peyton Manning's extraordinary career was driven by his talent, an incredible work ethic, and an unwavering desire to be the best and ended so perfectly for him with a Super Bowl victory. Peyton's competitive fire and love of the game made him a legendary player who thrilled fans for a generation. He has served as a great representative of the NFL both on the field and in his community. We are forever grateful for Peyton's unmatched contributions to the game and know that his success will continue in the next phase of his life."

Finally Rodger can say something right

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25506750/roger-goodell-the-nfl-is-forever-grateful-for-peyton-manning

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I remember when I realized that Peyton and the Colts had virtually eliminated the fullback position.

I don't know if the 3 WR plus the TE one-back offense was truly an offense before the Colts went to it..

Most teams use it now but the Colts made it their basic set with Peyton. Before that, it was just a 2-minute speciality offense

I don't know exactly when it happened  but it changed the sport. Now QBs are expected to run that

After Edge got hurt and we went with Addai it also made the RB a more versatile player. It made the RB a position that didn't dominate first round picks like in the past. It opened up the RB position to be a receiver out of the backfield more so than in the past IMO. Manning and Warner with Faulk changed the way RBs played the game.

Best player in Indianapolis Colts history! I love #18, my favorite player of all-time! Beating the Pats in the real SB in the 2006 AFC Title Game than bringing the Lombardi home by beating the Bears are moments that are priceless to me. Many small markets in many sports never win Championships and at least we got 1 no matter what happens. Glad he can retire going out on top as well by winning a huge 2nd SB Ring to boost his resume, not many players are able to do that.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

After Edge got hurt and we went with Addai it also made the RB a more versatile player. It made the RB a position that didn't dominate first round picks like in the past. It opened up the RB position to be a receiver out of the backfield more so than in the past IMO. Manning and Warner with Faulk changed the way RBs played the game.

and the one back set as a basic offense began to drive the 4-3 defense out of sport...

Peyton and the Colts coaches who let him do his thing (and helped him design 'his thing') altered the way NFL football is played

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I will remember how we went on an absolute high speed expressway to the basement as soon as Peyton

was seriously injured....and couldn't play in 2011.....

....He was my favorite QB but even I didnt realize how much he was carrying the Colts....

Not necessarily all due to his absence. They failed to put together a team that could sustain winning without it's QB, which was inexcusable. 

Thank you Peyton for the memories! I was there on the field for the AFCCG way back in 07 when you got your first. It was truly an honor to watch the great player ever work his magic. I wish you nothing but a life time of full health and enjoyment. You've more than earned it.

#18 Forever! !!!

3 hours ago, buccolts said:

Not necessarily all due to his absence. They failed to put together a team that could sustain winning without it's QB, which was inexcusable. 

But the point is..he was carrying them..criticism of management (best left for another day) aside..

...he was carrying them

Honestly, I will always remember Peyton Manning for his incredible sense of humor. That SNL skit is forever burned into my brain. Spend time with kids so Peyton Manning doesn't. 

I just revere celebrities who can mock their wholesome image with such ease. Comedy goes a long way with me.

Bravo 18!