Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Mack to opt out of Browns contract

Coltsfan1284

It's pretty simple. You will have to wait at least a year for a rookie center to be ready to play in the NFL. So....either you are willing to get Luck drilled again play after play while your young center learns the ropes, or you keep him on the bench and sign a vet. Because sticking with the current inept pair of centers is NOT an option. IMO, If the Colts want to move forward they have to sign a  FA vet center for a couple of years and also draft that vet's replacement  while dumping Holmes and Harrison. Move on from that trash heap right now. Stephan Wisniewski on a two year $8 million deal would work for me. Then draft his replacement in round 2 or 3. Stay away from Alex Mack and his likely 3 year $27-30 million demands. The Colts cannot afford that and still sign a solid FA cornerback. Which they also need to do. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, BOTT said:

It's not realistic.

It really isn't. But it's really the only circumstances under which I'd want Mack becoming a Colt. Something like 2 years, $7-8mil/year, is all that I'd entertain. Anything more than that is far too risky, especially considering some of the luck we've had in FA the past few years. We get guys off of Pro-Bowl seasons then they either suck, or go on IR as soon as training camp opens, and Mack seems like a prime candidate for that type of dropoff.

Interesting analysis ^. Just for the hell of I'd like if an analysis was done of the overall success rate in lets say the last 10 years or so of draft picks position by position who have been injured (thereby slowing down there progression) within the time frame of there rookie contract yet have gone on to have successful careers as a starter also I'd like an analysis done of drafted players traded within the time frame of there rookie contract who have gone onto be successful both in the same base scheme the team he was originally drafted by and the team he was traded to...In other both teams running the same base defense/(blocking scheme for O Linemen).

I'm sure its possible. It would be interesting to see

Overall I noticed the Aging Curve while interesting it did not seem to take into account injuries

8 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It really isn't. But it's really the only circumstances under which I'd want Mack becoming a Colt. Something like 2 years, $7-8mil/year, is all that I'd entertain. Anything more than that is far too risky, especially considering some of the luck we've had in FA the past few years. We get guys off of Pro-Bowl seasons then they either suck, or go on IR as soon as training camp opens, and Mack seems like a prime candidate for that type of dropoff.

Grigson has never signed a player of Mack's caliber.  I'm not sure it's that risky.

15 hours ago, Hoose said:

It's pretty simple. You will have to wait at least a year for a rookie center to be ready to play in the NFL.

That's not a given.

However, I agree with your thinking on a couple of other fronts; wanting a younger, less expensive option than Mack, and filling the need via FA if possible...

8 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Give an example of incentives please

Honestly, for a lineman it's hard to do

But it could be say,  a certain number of sacks or less personally given up, it could be playoff games won similar to Peyton's, it could be number of games played, just got to be creative

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Honestly, for a lineman it's hard to do

But it could be say,  a certain number of sacks or less personally given up, it could be playoff games won similar to Peyton's, it could be number of games played, just got to be creative

He's only 30 and will be in demand.....he doesn't need an incentive deal.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Yep.  And everyone that thinks he is going to take pennies to sign with a contender is crazy. He will take as much as he can get. And if there is a potential contender out there in need of a center to get them over the top then if indeed he is that #1 ingredient to get them there then he deserves to be paid by that team. 

We we have a lot more issues than just center that need addressed. We can get a OC in rd 2 or 3 of draft 

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Very true.

However, let's say 2 teams makes offers

First one is for 10 million a year, 3 years.  

Second one is for 8 million a years, 3 years, but with incentives totally 5 million per year,  for a total of 13 million a year......

If I know I'm good and im healthy, I'm taking the incentives and getting that extra 9 million over 3 yrs. Especially if it meant a possible superbowl run.

But that's just me, 

Plus if Mack wanted money only, he'd be staying in Cleveland 

May I point out to everyone that the Jags put all in last time to sign him, and they have a BOATLOAD of cap money they have to spend. They don't apparently want Wisneski back so I think a 5 year 65 million deal from the Jags will happen. They need to protect their new QB too..

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

May I point out to everyone that the Jags put all in last time to sign him, and they have a BOATLOAD of cap money they have to spend. They don't apparently want Wisneski back so I think a 5 year 65 million deal from the Jags will happen. They need to protect their new QB too..

Wanna make a wager?

Lets just sign Osemele and Wisnewski and we're set. Or if Osemele stays with Baltimore then Jeff Allen would be the next best thing. Either way I'm thinking the best strategy is to fix the offensive line in free agency. That way we can draft all D and start to build a young defensive core.

A few things, if the Colts want Mack they will get him and the salary cap will not stop them.

Two 30 years old is not old for a center, Saturday played well until 35 and then a very minor drop off at 36 and then a total drop at 37.  So people are basically saying they would not want to sign one of the best olineman in the NFL because they would only get 5 or 6 years from him... that is not very logical.

lastly, someone mentioned signing Mack to a two year deal... Mack is not going anywhere on a two year contract, it's going to be 6 or 7 years with around 60% guaranteed.

And $10 million is not out of line for Mack.  Last year Rodney Hudson (another top center) singed a 5 year 44.5 million dollar contract , that's 8.9 million, Mack is, IMO, worth and extra 500K to 1 million a year more than hudson.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

browns-35.png  Browns | Alex Mack becomes free agent    Wed Mar 2, 12:47 PM

Cleveland Browns C Alex Mack voided the final three years of his contract Wednesday, March 2, but could re-sign with the club.

Link to story

Also saw that there right tackle who played every offensive snap since he has been the starter is going to be a free agent too maybe could look into this as well.

On February 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM, ColtsBTM12 said:

I'd rather draft Ryan Kelly or Nick Martin

I agree get the center who will be Luck's Saturday and the anchor of the line for Luck's career. 

If the Colts spend money on free agents I'd rather they spend it on a proven pass rusher if they can get one.