Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

According to NBC, Grigson more likely to stay

bap1331

The only thing that I can tell about Grigs, is that he has carried that "scout mentality of finding the diamond in the rough player" with him as the GM of the Colts.  He doesn't pick the obvious because he's too smart for that.   Yep, I think it's a pride thing with him.   Sometimes you gotta take the guy Kiper told you to pick :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Myles said:

This is disturbing for the Colts and bad news for Pagano.

One of them HAS to go.

I would prefer both go.

My thoughts too. I don't think Grigson is as horrible as made out to be, but he needs to go with the epic screw job on the o line. 

They both need to be sent out of town.

13 hours ago, Corndog said:

Exactly, we can't afford for him to screw up another offseason and leave Luck unprotected.  It would mean several things, one the new HC gets screwed over, two Luck possibly gets injured and three Luck doesn't resign because the front office can't commit to keeping him protected.  

There's no doubt in my mind that the Colts build the OL now.  Even if Grigson stays we WILL have a better line.  I think Irsay would have somebody's head on a stick (kidding) if we EVER had a repeat of this season.  Plus, I bet Luck get's signed long term in the offseason.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    Grigson had a very good 2012 draft.     And a very good 2015 draft.

His 2013 draft has produced almost nothing.     And his 2014 draft has produced two nice players.    And maybe one more.     But that's not enough over a 2-year period.   

So, I think Grigson's drafting record is.........     mixed.

Combine that with a Free Agency batting average that's also mixed and you have the roster that we have.

IMO,  not nearly good enough after 4-years.

Again,  just my opinion.....

I would say he's had one poor draft, which was really bad.  2 starters and a guy who has flashed potential without a 1st or 4th rounder is very good (2014).

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think grigson has brought in some really good players like freeman jackson walden vontae adams langford redding anderson parry hilton moncrief mewhort. course hes had some bad players like richardson, werner, a trio of wrs every year(I actually thought avery was pretty good). grigs knows how to bring talent and while everyone will complain he hasnt fix the oline, its not like he hasnt tried. players like GC satale mcgylnn holmes harrison louis thornton thomas shipley nixon justin anderson either didnt pan out or were injuried too much

We could've fixed the oline in the offseason. And JONATHOON HARRISON is still on the team. Like seriously, you couldn't cut him and find a better backup?

Might need to re-evaluate the 2012 draft. With the very real possibility of Fleener and Allen being gone, that would leave only Luck and Hilton from the 2012 draft. Gues that's why somebody on here always says you need to wait several years before evaluating a draft class (sorry, can't remember who it is).

19 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

We could've fixed the oline in the offseason. And JONATHOON HARRISON is still on the team. Like seriously, you couldn't cut him and find a better backup?

how do you suggest we could have fixed the oline? as I mentioned, grigs brought a lot of lineman to help fix the line, however injuries and inconsistent play is unpredictable 

2 hours ago, wig said:

I would say he's had one poor draft, which was really bad.  2 starters and a guy who has flashed potential without a 1st or 4th rounder is very good (2014).

Fair point....    but my issue with 2014 is that we just didn't get very much talent.   2 and a half players.

And that comes right after the disastrous 2013 draft.    So, not much new young talent in the draft over a two year period.      After a while,  that lack of talent takes a toll on the field.

My thoughts on the year, I started out   being mad  that the GM did not fix the problems that I considered  needing fixed (o-line) Then after believing what alot of the posters here were writing ( The GM must know what he was doing because he gets paid alot more than I do) I had hope that I was wrong , Now with one game left and the colts down two really good QBs ,Im thinking maybe this guy who watches every game with great anticipation and hope might know more than a guy who gets paid a whole lot more, I come to this conclusion after seeing the GM drag this franchise down with numerous really bad choices,I'm not going to list we as die hard fans know what they are! Bottom line is this season  has been SAD! Can they fix it  will  Andrew ever play again ? Will he be able to reach his potential, Time will tell and Ill be watching 

4 hours ago, coltsva said:

Might need to re-evaluate the 2012 draft. With the very real possibility of Fleener and Allen being gone, that would leave only Luck and Hilton from the 2012 draft. Gues that's why somebody on here always says you need to wait several years before evaluating a draft class (sorry, can't remember who it is).

I have to think that one of them, probably Fleener will be back next year.  

1 minute ago, basspapaw said:

Really you must be grigsons assistant

Not at all, I want them all fired. right down to the ball boys and jock strap washers.

However, there are countless threads you could post this on...do we really need another?  They really need to merge them into a giant thread like they did with the TRich thread

Just now, csmopar said:

Not at all, I want them all fired. right down to the ball boys and jock strap washers.

However, there are countless threads you could post this on...do we really need another?  They really need to merge them into a giant thread like they did with the TRich thread

Really, this could easily have gone in one of the other five Grigson threads on the first page alone. I'm merging.

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have to think that one of them, probably Fleener will be back next year.  

I would rather have Allen.   I'm not too impressed with Fleener.    The first year or so seemed OK because of the Luck relationship. 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Grigson is more likely to stay than chuck imo.  Hard to imagine they would write up a new deal for pagano, then fire grigson.

Chuck wont survive a new FO if grigs gets canned first

Agreed the chance of Pagano staying is like maybe 5% and I think that's being friendly.

I'd like to see him gone but I think the chance of Grigson staying is like 75%.  I think Irsay still has confidence in him.  That confidence wasn't there in Pagano and that was made obvious before the season even started.  

Got a question for people...Sean McDermott is a very popular name to be a head coach somewhere next year. If Grigson stays is Sean the natural fit since he spent many years working in Philly as a coach and in the scouting department. I'd imagine some of his career overlapped with Ryan's. Anyone have any info of the two (are they friends or shared any comments about each other etc). From just a surface search it would seem to make a lot of sense if we can't lure a BIG NAME (Payton/Cower/Harbaugh type) coach. Any opinions or anything anyone can offer on this. I just find it intriguing if Grigson remains and Pagano goes.

39 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

Ryan Grigson traded a first round pick for Trent Richardson...

That should be enough of a reason to get fired.

I know Ryan doesn't have many supporters but he also traded for our best defensive player Vontae for a second rounder too. Nothing is as simple as one bad mistake. I'm not saying there aren't enough to warrant a new GM but that one mistake isn't enough to get him fired. We've seen many intelligent GMs make worse mistakes.

On 12/30/2015 at 2:12 PM, CR91 said:

I think grigson has brought in some really good players like freeman jackson walden vontae adams langford redding anderson parry hilton moncrief mewhort. course hes had some bad players like richardson, werner, a trio of wrs every year(I actually thought avery was pretty good). grigs knows how to bring talent and while everyone will complain he hasnt fix the oline, its not like he hasnt tried. players like GC satale mcgylnn holmes harrison louis thornton thomas shipley nixon justin anderson either didnt pan out or were injuried too much

I am not sure what team you have been following but it does not appear to be the colts over the Grigson tenure.  He was billed as a great evaluator of talent and has had many more misses than hits.  He has also allowed many talented players leave and go elsewhere.  This team has no depth.  Personnel, I thought was supposed to be his strong point.  Pagano at least has gotten the players he was given to actually play for him and keep the locker room together.  Grigson seems to be learning as he goes.  Cannot do that in the NFL and be successful.  If anyone goes it should be Grigson...not Pagano!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Got a question for people...Sean McDermott is a very popular name to be a head coach somewhere next year. If Grigson stays is Sean the natural fit since he spent many years working in Philly as a coach and in the scouting department. I'd imagine some of his career overlapped with Ryan's. Anyone have any info of the two (are they friends or shared any comments about each other etc). From just a surface search it would seem to make a lot of sense if we can't lure a BIG NAME (Payton/Cower/Harbaugh type) coach. Any opinions or anything anyone can offer on this. I just find it intriguing if Grigson remains and Pagano goes.

I don't want another Philly guy!

This whole thing about this situation is not how good grigson did his job. Its about grigson overstepping his boundries and rendering the head coach meaningless. This is not right. If Mr. Irsay believes this is the right way, then finding a head coach with Grigson in control will only produce another lame duck waste of money. I would not blame Pagano for just walking out the building after the national anthem Sunday. But he won't. He loves his players too much. He will not give up on them, just as they have not gave up on him. If grigson stays and Pagano leaves, say goodby to the good organization we thought we had.

17 hours ago, TC said:

I am not sure what team you have been following but it does not appear to be the colts over the Grigson tenure.  He was billed as a great evaluator of talent and has had many more misses than hits.  He has also allowed many talented players leave and go elsewhere.  This team has no depth.  Personnel, I thought was supposed to be his strong point.  Pagano at least has gotten the players he was given to actually play for him and keep the locker room together.  Grigson seems to be learning as he goes.  Cannot do that in the NFL and be successful.  If anyone goes it should be Grigson...not Pagano!

Did you read anything I wrote or did you just stop after I said grigson has brought in some really good players

17 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

With you here if I have to pick between  the TE's I would keep Allen.

Depends on the style of offense we want to employ. Allen is a much better blocker and a decent receiving target but fleener is the more prototypical receiving TE....more suitable for being a big play target. We will have to wait and see what kind of system we will run. Your not going to spread Allen out...his blocking could be wasted in the wrong system...and we've seen his attitude when not being utilized...rather not have that for the next several years.

16 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

This whole thing about this situation is not how good grigson did his job. Its about grigson overstepping his boundries and rendering the head coach meaningless. This is not right. If Mr. Irsay believes this is the right way, then finding a head coach with Grigson in control will only produce another lame duck waste of money. I would not blame Pagano for just walking out the building after the national anthem Sunday. But he won't. He loves his players too much. He will not give up on them, just as they have not gave up on him. If grigson stays and Pagano leaves, say goodby to the good organization we thought we had.

Unless Grigson has confidence in the new coach.

There seems to be this giant leap that folks are taking, that Grigson has some sort of personality disorder that leads him to want to make all of the decisions....just because that's who he is.

Maybe he just saw enough to think that Chuck was in over his head and had to step in..and Irsay agreed. 

Now he and Irsay are eager to find a coach that will let him get back to GMing.

That's another possibility.

I don't see what the argument would be for Grigson over Pagano. Pagano can at least say the players play hard for him and could use the Gruden argument and say that the GM isn't giving him the players he needs.

I could imagine a scenario where Pags is in and Grigs is out more than I can a situation where we keep Grigs and not Pagano. 

Plus it's easier to replace a GM than a coach. Meaning you can get another Ozzie Newsome but it'll be hard to find another John Harbough.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good luck getting a coach who's going to put up with his meddling crap

The next coach won't put up with him meddling. We're not the only ones reading these reports. Potential candidates are reading them too. Probably be the first thing they say to Irsay.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2015 at 10:55 AM, needanoline63 said:

So the guy who failed to draft anyone to protect our QB's is gonna be back?! Omg

grigs has more work to do. he has not completely finished us off yet, we still won some games in spite of his o-line, I hope he is not a pats employee on the side

On 12/30/2015 at 3:22 PM, cbear said:

You just summed up today's journalism 101 class in one sentence!  The only thing I might add is that this "somebody" could very well be the proverbial "16 year old in his parent's basement" and if passed around enough, will eventually feed the major news sources.

I have a background in journalism and I just can't believe what it's evolved into today.  Sickening and LAZY.

Haven't the journalists of today seen the movie Almost Famous?  Obviously not,  now that was some journalism.