Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Analysis From Bucky Brooks On Lucks Woes

krunk

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000568477/article/andrew-lucks-woes-whats-wrong-with-the-colts-quarterback

Honestly he's kind of touching on the quarterback and the coordinator.

"Looking at the All-22 Coaches Film, I see a young quarterback attempting to make too many big plays instead of managing the game from the pocket. Luck routinely bypasses open underneath receivers (checkdowns/safety valves) to force "hero" throws into traffic. While the quarterbacks with rings do push the envelope as playmakers, they also repeatedly take the checkdown option when the defense smothers intermediate and vertical threats."

2) Indy's offense doesn't feature enough "layups" when Luck's at QB.

Luck certainly deserves to receive his fair share of criticism for recent struggles, but offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton hasn't necessarily helped his quarterback with the game plan. While pairing a vertical aerial assault with a power-oriented ground game can yield big gains on "chunk" plays, the long-ball attack is akin to strictly shooting three-pointers on the basketball court. A hot quarterback can land a few knockout shots, but it is hard to become a 65 percent passer without any layups built into the game plan.

Looking at the coaches tape of the Colts' offense with Luck in the lineup, I was struck by the lack of easy throws (bubble screens, slants, seams and quick outs) that typically help a passer get into a groove. Without those rhythm builders incorporated into the opening script, Luck is rarely able to get comfortable before trying to attack the defense downfield. Consequently, he has struggled in the first half of games throughout the 2015 season (as you can see in the box just below), leading to slow starts from an offense that was expected to light up scoreboards around the NFL.

3) A lackluster run game forces Luck to throw against blanket coverage.

As I studied the All-22 footage looking for clues to explain Luck's struggles, I noticed that the Colts aren't really committed to running the football. The team only rushes on 33.7 percent of their offensive snaps -- that's the fourth-lowest percentage in the NFL. Given the lack of persistence the Colts have shown with their running game, it is not surprising that teams primarily are trotting out coverage-based tactics that force Luck to throw against extra defenders down the field.

Yup.. I have been SCREAMING this... WHERE IS THE EASY TE CROSSING ROUTES AND SCREENS/CHECK DOWNS?  We have 2 capable TEs who can catch not just in the red zone, but everywhere and are ALWAYS a winning mismatch when Hilton and Moncrief are drawing coverage.  And the moment they try covering all 4, you run it or toss a pass to Bradshaw who will SCORCH them (I have lost confidence in Gore's hands though).

Put the TE's into the damn game plan running 4-5 yard  crossing routes and watch it work!!!!!!

It’s not exactly a secret that the weakest spot in Carolina’s excellent pass defense is at safety, where Roman Harper is an inconsistent run-thumper who often gets lost in coverage. And the best way to attack safeties is to throw downfield. A lot. On passes defined by the NFL to be “short,” throws within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage, the Panthers are third in QBR. On those deeper throws, though, the Panthers haven’t been quite as effective, as they’re currently 10th in QBR on passes that travel 16 or more yards in the air. I know that 10th isn’t exactly anything to slouch about, but when you’re trying to poke holes in this defense, you take what you can find.

The old Colts would have been able to take advantage of those holes deep in the secondary far more frequently. Andrew Luck posted a sterling 97.2 QBR on throws traveling 16-or-more yards in the air last season, the fourth-best figure in football. Now? A likely injured Luck can’t stay upright and struggles to find his receivers for big gains. He’s posted a 51.9 QBR on those same passes in 2015, the seventh-worst figure in football, with five interceptions across just 48 pass attempts. (Luck threw just two picks on 126 such passes in 2014.) If the Colts want to compete on Monday night, they’ll have to look more like the 2014 Colts in terms of attacking their defensive opposition downfield. Or book a game against the AFC South instead.

Yup.. I have been SCREAMING this... WHERE IS THE EASY TE CROSSING ROUTES AND SCREENS/CHECK DOWNS?  We have 2 capable TEs who can catch not just in the red zone, but everywhere and are ALWAYS a winning mismatch when Hilton and Moncrief are drawing coverage.  And the moment they try covering all 4, you run it or toss a pass to Bradshaw who will SCORCH them (I have lost confidence in Gore's hands though).

Put the TE's into the damn game plan running 4-5 yard  crossing routes and watch it work!!!!!!

I agree .... Dwayne Allen could be a monster if they would do this!

Some of us has been saying these things for almost 4 years

Yeah, but it's never been as obvious as it is now, it's a different beast altogether. In the 3 seasons prior, there was really no run-game to speak of, so it wasn't even really an option, and the offense just kind of clicked regardless.

Fast forward to this season, and we can't even put together a clean, balanced drive against the 32nd ranked defense in the league. The fact that they've been shutout in the first half 6 out of 7 games is beyond pathetic.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000568477/article/andrew-lucks-woes-whats-wrong-with-the-colts-quarterback

Honestly he's kind of touching on the quarterback and the coordinator.

"Looking at the All-22 Coaches Film, I see a young quarterback attempting to make too many big plays instead of managing the game from the pocket. Luck routinely bypasses open underneath receivers (checkdowns/safety valves) to force "hero" throws into traffic. While the quarterbacks with rings do push the envelope as playmakers, they also repeatedly take the checkdown option when the defense smothers intermediate and vertical threats."

2) Indy's offense doesn't feature enough "layups" when Luck's at QB.

Luck certainly deserves to receive his fair share of criticism for recent struggles, but offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton hasn't necessarily helped his quarterback with the game plan. While pairing a vertical aerial assault with a power-oriented ground game can yield big gains on "chunk" plays, the long-ball attack is akin to strictly shooting three-pointers on the basketball court. A hot quarterback can land a few knockout shots, but it is hard to become a 65 percent passer without any layups built into the game plan.

Looking at the coaches tape of the Colts' offense with Luck in the lineup, I was struck by the lack of easy throws (bubble screens, slants, seams and quick outs) that typically help a passer get into a groove. Without those rhythm builders incorporated into the opening script, Luck is rarely able to get comfortable before trying to attack the defense downfield. Consequently, he has struggled in the first half of games throughout the 2015 season (as you can see in the box just below), leading to slow starts from an offense that was expected to light up scoreboards around the NFL.

3) A lackluster run game forces Luck to throw against blanket coverage.

As I studied the All-22 footage looking for clues to explain Luck's struggles, I noticed that the Colts aren't really committed to running the football. The team only rushes on 33.7 percent of their offensive snaps -- that's the fourth-lowest percentage in the NFL. Given the lack of persistence the Colts have shown with their running game, it is not surprising that teams primarily are trotting out coverage-based tactics that force Luck to throw against extra defenders down the field.

Pretty much validation for what most of us have been saying all year. Just happens to be coming from someone in the know

Our line is not built well for our offense and we haven't adjusted with the playcalling. That's the problem.

Our offense is built to have our burners go deep, but Luck rarely has the time to throw those and when he does they're usually dime pieces.

It all starts at the pass blocking and Luck can take some blame for not changing his protection when he does or doesn't read a blitz.

Also no more screens to the outside. We telegraph it way too often.

Considering that Pep did those things when MH was the Qb, I'm not sure the blame can fall Pep.

IMO Luck needs to stop trying to win the game himself and start trying to win the game as part of a team.

I disagree.

I think it's Pep and Clyde seeing Luck as something he is not.. someone who is above check downs.  They tailored a gameplan to what they perceive Hasselback can handle and then turn around and think that said gameplan is below what Luck's ability is.  The thing is all QB's need those high percentage throws.  I think that is where you are seeing Pep being in too big of a league.  He doesn't understand that short yardage ball placement are what make an elite QB not the amazing passes downfield.  

I disagree.

I think it's Pep and Clyde seeing Luck as something he is not.. someone who is above check downs.  They tailored a gameplan to what they perceive Hasselback can handle and then turn around and think that said gameplan is below what Luck's ability is.  The thing is all QB's need those high percentage throws.  I think that is where you are seeing Pep being in too big of a league.  He doesn't understand that short yardage ball placement are what make an elite QB not the amazing passes downfield.  

You could very well be correct.  I just have a hard time believing anyone could be that thick headed, but I will admit, I am often surprised by how stupid people can truly be.

You could very well be correct.  I just have a hard time believing anyone could be that thick headed, but I will admit, I am often surprised by how stupid people can truly be.

I think the evidence is in the lack of improvement on Lucks game.  I honestly do think they see him as a finished product or else we would see at least a marginal improvement on the things that have been ailing him.  (ball placement, holding onto the ball, refinement of throwing mechanics, etc.)

I disagree.

this is it in a nutshell....just watch the Pats offense....it's virtually all short to mid range passes. Brady's not a good downfield passer but one of the best at the short to mid range.

this is it in a nutshell....just watch the Pats offense....it's virtually all short to mid range passes. Brady's not a good downfield passer but one of the best at the short to mid range.

I remember reading a stat-sheet somewhere, saying Brady is currently one of the worst in completion in the league at the deep passes. Makes sense.

Last nights game with Pats and Fins should have awakened Pep!  NE does the dink and dunk, hitches, crossing, screen approach to perfection.  Brady looks phenominal doing this!  We need to have a game plan that involves TEs, backs, etc.  Getting the ball out of Luck's hands quickly helps OLinemen with their blocks.  Also builds rythmn for your QB.  Don't shoot for home run on every pass.  Utilize the running game that so far looks superb.  Comments?

I think some people are over-thinking the issues. It's pretty clear what is wrong with Luck:

1) He's not 100%
2) Our offensive line is horrifying and it's messing up everyone's timing
3) Luck is trying to will us to win when we're not playing well enough, so he's over-striking and making mistakes

I don't see an easy fix to it, sadly. But I don't think you need real expertise to see what is wrong. It'd happen to any QB, I think. I can't see Rogers or Brady faring any better with an injured shoulder and our o-line. I guess we might get to see with Brady, if they keep losing linemen. 

I think some people are over-thinking the issues. It's pretty clear what is wrong with Luck:

1) He's not 100%

2) Our offensive line is horrifying and it's messing up everyone's timing

3) Luck is trying to will us to win when we're not playing well enough, so he's over-striking and making mistakes

I don't see an easy fix to it, sadly. But I don't think you need real expertise to see what is wrong. It'd happen to any QB, I think. I can't see Rogers or Brady faring any better with an injured shoulder and our o-line. I guess we might get to see with Brady, if they keep losing linemen. 

Our offensive line is NOT horrifying.

Matt Hasselbeck was +4.2 against Romeo Crenell. Jack Mewhort was +5.5 and Khaled Holmes was+1.1 against -2.1 J.J. Watt. They can be Pro-Bowlers with Tom Brady.

A lot of people wanted Grigson to sign Orlando Franklin. Sure, he was so good!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/25/2015-free-agents-guards/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/10/chargers-versatile-franklin-added-to-o-line/

After he was signed by San Diego (Tom Telesco), he wasn't so good.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/07/10-worst-free-agent-signings-though-week-4/

Why? Because there is difference between Peyton and Rivers, who "has actually struggled even more when he has had time in the pocket".

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/30/whats-wrong-with-my-qb-philip-rivers-edition/

Mewhort was +3.2 and +5.5 (against Crenell, Watt) with Hasselbeck (2.12 second average time to attempt), but that was not the case with Luck (2.92 second average time to attempt) against New Orleans...

Once again Grigson's fault?!