Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should the Colts do with Art Jones after the season?

RockThatBlue

Art Jones  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What should the colts do with Art Jones?

• Let him go after the season
    • Keep him
    • Restructure his contract and keep him

We''ll at least have a new coaching staff and possibly new management. Who knows what they'll want. New coach will surely want his own guys though - significant roster turnover probably. Might have a different scheme. We''ll see in January.

We''ll at least have a new coaching staff and possibly new management. Who knows what they'll want. New coach will surely want his own guys though - significant roster turnover probably. Might have a different scheme. We''ll see in January.

If the colts hire a coach who wants to run a totally different scheme they are stupid.

Not sure there would be drastic roster change with a new GM/coach. New management is usually brought in because the team needs a roster overhaul. The Colts just need to draft better and stop wasting money on overrated free agents.

You have the 29th ranked defense, the oldest defense in the league and about three pieces worth keeping long term. A scheme change would be stupid? Can't see how it would matter.

Not to mention, the pieces worth keeping would be fine in any scheme.

The perfect scenario would be cut him then bring him back on a cheaper 1 year deal for him to prove himself. But you almost never see that. So maybe we could restructure the contract and keep him like 1 more year then cut him. It would be awesome to have him back, but yeah. He would be a backup/rotational guy. And maybe the best backup/rotational DT in the NFL because that dude is a beast when he's healthy. But yeah. Anderson and Langford are better than him, and that's saying something, because Art Jones is a good player IMO. What we gotta focus on in the offseason as far as defense goes is a premier pass rusher. If we bring in a 12-15 sack OLB then our defense could be top 10.

You have the 29th ranked defense, the oldest defense in the league and about three pieces worth keeping long term. A scheme change would be stupid? Can't see how it would matter.

We have the oldest? Didn't realize that. Figured the 2 rookie DL would drop that

He should have to restructure his contract to reflect being a backup situational player in order to stay. Otherwise he should be cut as long as his dead cap hit isn't too out of whack.

Anyone know the cap ramifications if he's released?

Doesn't make sense (IMO) to release him after 2105. His base for 2016 is only 4.5 mill. and prorated bonus is 1.1. So that's a cap hit of 5.5. If they cut him , the dead money is the last 3 years of prorated bonus which is  3X 1.1. So the dead money would be 3.3. When the smoke settles , the way I read that is you only saw 2.3 in cap money by cutting him. Plus that 4.5 salary is not really all that bad. 

The following year , I think he has to prove his worth as his base jumps to 6.25 mill. With the pro rated 1.1 bonus , the cap hit is 7.3. Now if you cut him . it's 7.3 minus two years of pro rated bonus of 2.2 mill. So the Colts save 5.3 by cutting him.

Mathis, Adams, Jackson, Walden, Cole, etc.

Lotta dudes over 30 who won't be here long term.

You answered your own question.

We are older because we are trying to fill spots to win NOW. This is typically thru older vets. I don't see the problem. Grigs just infused youth in the DL, safety, and CB in this draft.

Whats the problem? Every team has holes, are youngrr at some positions, older at others. We saw NE has holes, we just failed to keep pressng them in the 2nd half.

Answered my own question? I never raised a question. I simply pointed to the reality. A faction of Colts fans are still focused on and living in offseason hype, believing this team is somehow close to a championship. Sure if, we can face Hoyer, Bortles and Mettenberg in the playoffs, then yes, we're on the doorstep. If everything goes right,, that is. In the real world, outside of Luck, a few skilled players and a handful of other players, this team is in need of a complete makeover.

some people blow things WAY out of proportion. ^^ as for Jones id give him one more chance hes a force when healthy and would compliment our line very well. he has very good credentials-- genetics his brother chandler is a great football player and stays healthy and his brother jon is just a bad@$$ I think it would be a good idea to give him another go around

The perfect scenario would be cut him then bring him back on a cheaper 1 year deal for him to prove himself. But you almost never see that. So maybe we could restructure the contract and keep him like 1 more year then cut him. It would be awesome to have him back, but yeah. He would be a backup/rotational guy. And maybe the best backup/rotational DT in the NFL because that dude is a beast when he's healthy. But yeah. Anderson and Langford are better than him, and that's saying something, because Art Jones is a good player IMO. What we gotta focus on in the offseason as far as defense goes is a premier pass rusher. If we bring in a 12-15 sack OLB then our defense could be top 10.

Not so fast. We also need some consistency out of our ILBs and a replacement for Toler before we're top 10. Once we get that, though, the D is gonna be very scary.

Not so fast. We also need some consistency out of our ILBs and a replacement for Toler before we're top 10. Once we get that, though, the D is gonna be very scary.

Yeah but a pass rusher is most important IMO. But yeah I hope we cut Toler and sign Janoris Jenkins. Our ILB's may be ok. I'd let Free go and let Moore or Irv start next to DQ next year. Probably Irv starting with Moore in on 3rd downs. But both are starting caliber IMO

It doesn't matter that our DL has played well without him....

That's 3 guys for 6 games.      You need all the quality bodies you can get to survive 4 pre-season games,  16 regular season games,  and however many post-season games you play.

It's quantity as much as quality.

We need a healthy Arthur Jones.    And if we can convince him to re-work his contract,  then perhaps we have a win-win situation.

We want another year of Art Jones if we can make it happen.

We can't just start over I think there are more than just a few that are worth keeping but you are right, key pieces are old and some are just ineffective. Personally I think that adding a strong pass rusher suddenly makes the defense, as it sits now, much much better and certainly better than 29th. Its amazing what adding a playmaker or 2 to a squad will do in the NFL. That is definitely doable in one offseason.

He's getting paid way too much to be a depth player. He just can't stay healthy. He has to go.

they don't have much depth on the end spot. If they can afford him and they stay with the 3-4 they could use him. You can never have enough bodies there. There is no reason to rush to releasing him unless they are in desperate need of the cap space or he doesn't fit the defense anymore or he's just not healthy.

I would agree the goal would be to get him to rework his deal but if that doesn't happen it doesn't mean the Colts couldn't make it work if they wanted too.

they don't have much depth on the end spot. If they can afford him and they stay with the 3-4 they could use him. You can never have enough bodies there. There is no reason to rush to releasing him unless they are in desperate need of the cap space or he doesn't fit the defense anymore or he's just not healthy.

I would agree the goal would be to get him to rework his deal but if that doesn't happen it doesn't mean the Colts couldn't make it work if they wanted too.

I'm quoting your post but I'm basically asking everybody this. Does Jones still fit our defense? Yes its a 3-4 but our D line is different then when he played on it last year. But he would still fit right? I'm sure the answer is yes but he would be the " fat slow guy" on our line for lack of a better way of putting it lol.

I'm quoting your post but I'm basically asking everybody this. Does Jones still fit our defense? Yes its a 3-4 but our D line is different then when he played on it last year. But he would still fit right? I'm sure the answer is yes but he would be the " fat slow guy" on our line for lack of a better way of putting it lol.

if they fire the coach he might not fit the new coaches defense. That's where I was going with that. A new coach might go back to a 4-3.

Yes, but those pieces fit well in this type of scheme. You don't want to bring in someone who plays primarily zone coverage when you have Vontae for example. But yeah, I have to agree, on defense there isn't a whole lot there that's not easily replaceable.

Is he even worth keeping with how well our D line has played without him?

Uh, we are getting killed up the middle.

The kid is a gamer but at best a backup.

If not already, the next few games should get this thru Most heads.

Jones is a bargain at $4.5M

But ya, take the $3.5M cap hit and save a Million. lmao