Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schlereth: Colts OL -- ESPN

Rhane19

How could anybody not blame Grigson for our offensive line? He's signed guys yeah. But basically all of those signings were terrible. He could have gotten better players in FA and he could have drafted better O-Linemen as well. I mean what about Clint Boling this past offseason? Or trading for Ben Grubbs who's still a pretty good guard? Or yes. Signing Incognio, who I may add is tearing it up in Buffalo this year. Imagine our line with Incognito and Grubbs at Guards.

Grubbs has been terrible so far this year for KC. He was flat out embarrassed during the GB game. I like Incognito and wish we would to taken a flyer on him and gave him a chance. We also should of given Seantrel Henderson a chance coming out of college he was a good tackle at Miami being projected as a 2nd rounder, and fell to the 7th round. He was one of my favorite O-Linemen in the draft, and now he is also tearing it up in Buffalo. Hindsight is 20/20, but it is frustrating to say the least.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't help slow WR to get open. You have to get better WR.

You can't help ILB to play the run with discipline. You have to get better ILB.

You can't show blind RB open holes. You have to get better RB.

But you can help QB to stay healthy: slide protection, chip block, TE&RB late release, 1-step throws from the gun, run game, no-huddle, packaged plays...

Is it so difficult for Pep to understand? These o-linemen are not world beaters, but Hamilton is not helping them.

Since the day Grigson was hired we been screaming build from the lines out. The D line has made improvements but the O still is not getting it done. Tuuurible! I'm sick of all the screaming of people wanting the skill positions. Until the line is fixed screw the damn skill positions!!

Mark has always called us a finesse team and said we're not tough enough....all through the Manning era.  Maybe he was and is right.  I think everyone is starting to pile on now though since Luck is hurt.

No, I don't think that's the case at all. Most of us have been expressing concerns of our line ever since Luck was drafted in 2012 & yes on paper Todd Herremans was signed, but he hasn't exactly blown me away with his talents. Now, part of that might be that it takes awhile to gel as a unit & we have only played 3 games. 

Grigs our GM deserves some credit for adding Trent Cole, Henry Anderson, David Parry, Kendall Langford, & D'quell Jackson to our defense. I'm fair, but I don't ignore the fact that our o-line has been neglected for a longtime. 

Lastly, the fact that Luck bruised his shoulder still doesn't negate the fact that Luck has been taking way too many hits. It's 1 thing to say it; it's another to pay lip service to it. Tony Dungy used to say "Are you part of the solution or are you part of the problem?" I would ask Grigs & Pagano do they feel they have solved anything & if so what have they fixed? Why does the same problem a lack of o-line protection remain constant over more than 2 seasons since Luck landed in INDY? 

No, I don't think that's the case at all. Most of us have been expressing concerns of our line ever since Luck was drafted in 2012 & yes on paper Todd Herremans was signed, but he hasn't exactly blown me away with his talents. Now, part of that might be that it takes awhile to gel as a unit & we have only played 3 games. 

Grigs our GM deserves some credit for adding Trent Cole, Henry Anderson, David Parry, Kendall Langford, & D'quell Jackson to our defense. I'm fair, but I don't ignore the fact that our o-line has been neglected for a longtime. 

Lastly, the fact that Luck bruised his shoulder still doesn't negate the fact that Luck has been taking way too many hits. It's 1 thing to say it; it's another to pay lip service to it. Tony Dungy used to say "Are you part of the solution or are you part of the problem?" I would ask Grigs & Pagano do they feel they have solved anything & if so what have they fixed? Why does the same problem a lack of o-line protection remain constant over more than 2 seasons since Luck landed in INDY? 

Sorry, should have clarified.  I meant the national media is piling on now.  They smell blood in the water.  You are correct that we Colts fans have known about it.

Mark was asked specially what problems he saw regarding INDY's line CS3. His comments are targeted or meant for the Colts & not 31 other teams. The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one & what your primary weakness is...O-line is our achilles heel & until we solve this enigma we go nowhere as a franchise competing for Lombardi trophies.

Misplaced aggression bro. Read some of my posts. I'm the first to state our line is a weakness.

Sorry if ur having a bad day. I was pointing out they start talking about us in the beginning... But guess who else participates in the CBA, ota, and leage(wide)(that's the NFLeague), 31 other teams

Sorry, should have clarified.  I meant the national media is piling on now.  They smell blood in the water.  You are correct that we Colts fans have known about it.

No worries LD. I wasn't mad at you personally or anything like that. I figured that's what you meant. We're perfectly fine. 

National media are pathetic, they read their memos they get from the nfl propaganda office every day. It means nothing, 43 years,nothing has changed, the Colts still suck if you listen to those jerks spew their ignorance. Ignore them, watch the games and decide for yourself how much worse the bronco and steeler offensive lines are than the Colt line, but no one mentions that.

Misplaced aggression bro. Read some of my posts. I'm the first to state our line is a weakness.

Sorry if ur having a bad day. I was pointing out they start talking about us in the beginning... But guess who else participates in the CBA, ota, and leage(wide)(that's the NFLeague), 31 other teams

I thought I was pretty calm, cool, & collected actually. Alright CS3, yes Mark did turn his comments toward the league as a whole toward the end of the 1 on 1 session, but the analyst asked Mark point blank to state what weaknesses he could see in INDY's line. 

If I am slightly miffed, it's because INDY keeps masking the problem by concentrating on other areas like drafting Dorsett as our 1st pick & bringing in Andre Johnson at WR. How exactly Grigs do these 2 new additions result in less penetration on the line & a reduction in QB sacks? Hmmm...Look, I know why AJ was brought in to serve as a substitute veteran in the absence of Reggie Wayne's departure. I get that. 

If you did highlight the vulnerability of our line, great. I agree with you 100% But, the crux of what Mr. Schlereth was addressing pertained directly to the blue horseshoe & we all know this. 

It's like I told M-432 in other thread, I'd rather suffer in other areas like the secondary for awhile if I knew Irsay was spending more money on beef up front or bring in an o-line coordinator with a proven track record of building quality lines that actually keep Andrew's jersey free from grass stains etc. etc. 

THAT OLINE MAAAAN....When people were on here blaming Luck, I was trying to tell them it's not his fault. Now look, u even have analysts keying in on it. Vomit?? That's being nice. This coaching staff hasn't done anything since Arians....injured franchise before he even gets a contract. Sad.

posters on here who blame luck must be former o-linemen

I thought I was pretty calm, cool, & collected actually. Alright CS3, yes Mark did turn his comments toward the league as a whole toward the end of the 1 on 1 session, but the analyst asked Mark point blank to state what weaknesses he could see in INDY's line. 

If I am slightly miffed, it's because INDY keeps masking the problem by concentrating on other areas like drafting Dorsett as our 1st pick & bringing in Andre Johnson at WR. How exactly Grigs do these 2 new additions result in less penetration on the line & a reduction in QB sacks? Hmmm...Look, I know why AJ was brought in to serve as a substitute veteran in the absence of Reggie Wayne's departure. I get that. 

If you did highlight the vulnerability of our line, great. I agree with you 100% But, the crux of what Mr. Schlereth was addressing pertained directly to the blue horseshoe & we all know this. 

It's like I told M-432 in other thread, I'd rather suffer in other areas like the secondary for awhile if I knew Irsay was spending more money on beef up front or bring in an o-line coordinator with a proven track record of building quality lines that actually keep Andrew's jersey free from grass stains etc. etc. 

Even in 2012 when we drafted Fleener and Allen back2back didʻnt make sense...2 TEʻs but no O-line men...you can possibly get a good to decent TE in draft but not O-line men

I meant FA...sorry

Even in 2012 when we drafted Fleener and Allen back2back didʻnt make sense...2 TEʻs but no O-line men...you can possibly get a good to decent TE in draft but not O-line men

I accept the fact that with each draft you will have a surplus at positions you may not need as a franchise like WR, LB, or DB, which is where the theme of best player available comes into action & yes there can be a free agency drought for guards & left tackles or even a quality center, but the best GMs know how to create depth on a roster & transform say a guy on your practice squad or somebody on your active roster into a different position of need & skill. 

Ozzie Newsome seems to excel at his job just fine year in; year out. So does Bill Belichick or AZ Cardinals GM Steve Keim. Ted Thompson does well in GB & Seahawks GM John Schneider is holding things down nicely in the Pacific NW. 

Trent Cole and DQ? Those two shouldn't be in Grigson's plus column.

Since the day Grigson was hired we been screaming build from the lines out. The D line has made improvements but the O still is not getting it done. Tuuurible! I'm sick of all the screaming of people wanting the skill positions. Until the line is fixed screw the damn skill positions!!

I wish I could give you more likes sir!!!

He also called the Colts the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings because Peyton carried the team.  He also said that without Peyton the Colts would be a 2 win team.  

Everyone knew that...2011 was 2-14 without Peyton...the guy knows what heʻs talking about...2 SB wins

Of course, the Grigson haters,  the usual suspects,  are so busy hating on Grigson here that they completely missed the most important comment that Schlereth made which came at the end.    No surprise!

And that is Schlereth saying that -- league wide -- in the 15 years he's been a commentator for ESPN,  this is the worst offensive line play he's ever seen by far.

In other words,  the problem the Colts are having is the same problem most every other team in the NFL is having.   A huge shortage of quality offensive lineman.

And we've had a number of threads this week from a variety of NFL people here in the Colts section talking about the exact same thing.    A terrible shortage of quality offensive lineman league wide.     So this is not just a Schlereth point of view,  this is the view of most everyone throughout the NFL.

But that's not going to get the Grigson haters to cool their jets....   they've got their target and nothing is going to stop them...

Really sad......

Actually he made a point that the Colts line was especially bad. Looks like you werent the one listening. 

:facepalm:

I seem to recall that Mark Schlereth won 3 SBs as a linemen himself. 2 with the Broncos & 1 with the Redskins so he does possess championship credentials in the very unit we are weakest in. Dallas seemed to accumulate quality linemen over several drafts so it can be done. I can be patient as long as I know glaring voids are being addressed. WR & TE weapons don't mean much if your QB is often hurried or on his back. Also, I don't hate either Pagano or Grigson but they knew our deficiencies from day 1 & they still have done next to nothing to make Luck's life easier not harder. Okay, yes Gore is an asset but what holes have we created for him that weren't called back on numerous holding calls? Not too many NCF.

Look at Marvin Lewis's line in Ohio & then look at ours. Enough said...

Come one Marvin Lewis has been in Cinny for what 12 or 13 years. Grigs has flipped the roster in this his 4th. The O Line needs to get better without question. But we have flipped the entire roster. We have 5 guys from when Grig's has taken over.

The drafts have been solid except 2013 which ironically I think Grig's got caught up drafting for need not taking BPA.

My biggest problem with Grig's if it is true is forcing Pep on Pagano as the OC. We have Chud who has taken Carolina and Cleveland from the near the bottom to the near the top of the league. IMO Pep is in way over his head. Watch other teams ball out quick WR's schemed to run free using bunch formations and combo routes. Do we have any other screen but the quick pass the WR. He doesn't put guys in a positions to be their best. He will go months trying to force a square peg into a round box

The one thing that I've always respected about ESPN is that it's real football analysts don't sugar coat things and tell it like it is. Merrill Hodges was one of the few analysts who had the stones to say Manziel would be a bust. And now another analyst hits us with the truth.

Sure, O-Lines are bad league wide but notice how he didn't use that to explain the Colts struggles. So all of you people saying that we all ignored what he said in the video, think again.

He said that the Colts have failed to fix the O-line, putting blame on the GM like we all have been doing. The O-line is bad and it's been bad for 3 years. Regardless of any other people/factors involved, that statement is indisputable.

He may have referenced the whole league, but the Colts were obviously a prime example of the worst. 

If there were no OL there for our draft picks maybe he needed to reach or trade down ... if you know a lot of the OL coming out currently are misses, than trading down and using those extra picks to choose more OL increasing your chances of hitting a good one seems like a legitimate strategy. 

Some of us have been yelling about this for a while ... Grigson doesn't get off the hook just because other teams are having some issues as well ... Grigson has passed on good OL in both FA and the draft preferring to gamble and/or address other positions that are not nearly as difficult to fill. if anything, knowing this is an issue and that it might be more difficult now to build a solid OL should have made him hyper-vigilant devoting more than the normal resources to building the OL. 

Actually he made a point that the Colts line was especially bad. Looks like you werent the one listening. 

:facepalm:

I didn't deny that he made that point,  nor did I disagree with it.

I only noted that everyone missed the key point.....   that there's a huge shortage of quality lineman all over the NFL,  the Colts are no exception.

Stating the Colts have a bad offensive line is simply stating the obvious.    You don't have to be an NFL expert to understand that.

I didn't deny that he made that point,  nor did I disagree with it.

I only noted that everyone missed the key point.....   that there's a huge shortage of quality lineman all over the NFL,  the Colts are no exception.

Stating the Colts have a bad offensive line is simply stating the obvious.    You don't have to be an NFL expert to understand that.

I don't even think its a shortage of quality O Linemen....I know it looks that way...especially when watching our O Linemen over the last going on 4 years. Plenty of O Linemen have came out recently that have been physically gifted athletes but lack the fundamentals so therefore when they come out many are totally lost, They don't either get the 1 on 1 time in college then with schooling and the size of college rosters(I believe the count is 105?) I don't expect many have the extra time to dedicate to learning the fundamentals before they get into the NFL...And I don't believe fundamentals are taught league wide in the NFL.....Sure are not with the Colts, I think most expect you to know the fundamentals by the time you get to the NFL.

Of course, the Grigson haters,  the usual suspects,  are so busy hating on Grigson here that they completely missed the most important comment that Schlereth made which came at the end.    No surprise!

And that is Schlereth saying that -- league wide -- in the 15 years he's been a commentator for ESPN,  this is the worst offensive line play he's ever seen by far.

In other words,  the problem the Colts are having is the same problem most every other team in the NFL is having.   A huge shortage of quality offensive lineman.

And we've had a number of threads this week from a variety of NFL people here in the Colts section talking about the exact same thing.    A terrible shortage of quality offensive lineman league wide.     So this is not just a Schlereth point of view,  this is the view of most everyone throughout the NFL.

But that's not going to get the Grigson haters to cool their jets....   they've got their target and nothing is going to stop them...

Really sad......

Are you actually defending Grigson here lol. Just because most teams have bad offensive lines does not excuse Grigson here. You know what team does not have issues on the offensive line, New England. So, yes you can build good offensive lines when you have a competent GM

Are you actually defending Grigson here lol. Just because most teams have bad offensive lines does not excuse Grigson here. You know what team does not have issues on the offensive line, New England. So, yes you can build good offensive lines when you have a competent GM

Congrats!      You're at 48 posts and I think every single one is some level of hate on Grigson.

It's ALL HATE,  ALL THE TIME!!

No, I'm not defending Grigson,  but I'm never very found of a lunatic lynch mob.....   and that's what too many of these threads turn into.....

No one is all bad or all good.    But for many on this website and in this thread,  that's all they know how to understand.

People are either all good or they suck.    As you get older, you begin to understand that no one is that way. 

It's never one thing or the other.    Most of life is somewhere in the middle....    people in this thread don't seem to understand that....

Congrats!      You're at 48 posts and I think every single one is some level of hate on Grigson.

It's ALL HATE,  ALL THE TIME!!

No, I'm not defending Grigson,  but I'm never very found of a lunatic lynch mob.....   and that's what too many of these threads turn into.....

No one is all bad or all good.    But for many on this website and in this thread,  that's all they know how to understand.

People are either all good or they suck.    As you get older, you begin to understand that no one is that way. 

It's never one thing or the other.    Most of life is somewhere in the middle....    people in this thread don't seem to understand that....

You make a valid point, but it seems the things that Grigson is good at the less important things and bad at the more important things.  

He seems to be good at evaluating and acquiring good WRs, but not so good at identifying OL talent and assembling a good OL.   This might have been ok 10+ years ago when it seemed WRs were the ones that needed time develop and there were a decent number of avg-good OL coming out; but the trend now seems to be more WRs are coming out and ready to contribute early and OL are not. He needs to figure out how to adjust to this trend sooner rather than later or be replaced by someone who can.

He is good at always looking for guys that fell through the cracks and churning the bottom of the roster and I like that he has a little gambler in him.  But, I am starting think he gambles and goes with his gut too much resulting in us taking chances that bad players will turn things around and injured players that will be good grabs if healthy but are liabilities if they don't. 

He is good at the financial/cap management of the business of football; but appears to lack in the HR/personnel side of the business. 

I think the scales are starting to tip toward his bad qualities outweighing his good qualities. I think if he stays both he and the Colts would be well served if he would relinquish some of the power and delegate some of the responsibilities that he is not so good at to people with more expertise; I don't know if that will happen though because very few people at his level in any business want to give up any amount of control. 

While Grigson has certainly failed with the O Line Schlereth fails to acknowledge 1 thing and give his opinion on another

1.Khaled Holmes 5 starts, Hugh Thornton 21 starts, Mewhort 17 starts, That's 3/5ths of our O Line with less then three years of starting combined experience. As to Herremans, Louis and many of Grigsons other O Line pickups, I agree...horrible

2.He is naming off several things the Colts O Line has done wrong ....which of course he is right much of the time BUT....How about breaking down examples on film and stating what can be done to correct it...I mean he is a form Guard

3. Luck holds on to the ball too long and our coaching staff hasnt corrected this.

Same way as posting a picture.

Wow, Schlerth.  Our OL is bad, but it's not the worst in the last 15 years.  As for the Dorsett comment, I mentioned this in another thread.  There weren't any good OL prospects available to us at 29 that would have made sense.  The top OL prospects taken after 29 would have been reaches if we took them at 29

I agree, that is why we should have taken D in round 1 and then used a later pick for more O-line.  Look, I admit Grigson drafted quality players this year, but in FA he should have made sure he was covered.  And better scouting may have turned up 1 or 2 more O-lineman in the draft.  Hell, trade a later round pick to get an O-lineman... how about that?  Bottom line is he just has never made it a priority.  It is one thing to have a bad defense and give up massive rushes.... that's a choice to insure we have quality O.  But anyone should know you have to protect the franchise.  Perhaps he could have traded Duron Carter when there was a big buzz on him for some O line.   Anyway, it's too late now.  If we lose to Jacksonville, we'll at best be a 4 seed and going to NE in the second round for a butt kicking and that's if we even make the playoffs. 

Grubbs has been terrible so far this year for KC. He was flat out embarrassed during the GB game. I like Incognito and wish we would to taken a flyer on him and gave him a chance. We also should of given Seantrel Henderson a chance coming out of college he was a good tackle at Miami being projected as a 2nd rounder, and fell to the 7th round. He was one of my favorite O-Linemen in the draft, and now he is also tearing it up in Buffalo. Hindsight is 20/20, but it is frustrating to say the least.

Would have been nice to have had Henderson, Collins and Incognito.  We'd likely be undefeated with a health QB and a straight shot to the #1 seed. 

You know, the media sells product, and a big part of that is knowing who makes up their audience.

Zak Keefer and Gregg Doyel for the STAR are doing the same thing as ESPN is doing.

Blame Grigs.

Blame upper management instead of the workers who are the ones actually messing up.  Blame Grigs, not Pep or Clyde. It resonates better with the viewer/reader.

Schlereth's comments and Keefer's and Doyel's articles come on the heels of a real personnel guy, Bill Polian, showing how their is a shortgage of Olineman...and stats that show the Colts Oline isn't as bad as some others.

But its the big bad CEO of the company that is the problem...not the little people hired to actually execute the offense. 

Nowhere...NOWHERE..in Big Media has Pep ever been included as being part of the problem. 

A few years ago, Big Ben gets beat up, and Arians the OC takes the blame. 

Its unbelievable really, that the Colts OC has not been questioned about the competence of the offense.  The avoidance is glaring.  Same goes with the QB coach and Luck not throwing the ball away.

The bandwagon/predictable comments from the same sources are getting really old.

You would think O-Line coach, Joe Gilbert, would be taking some of the heat too?

For some reason people want to say "blame x, not y" rather than "blame x, y, z, a, b, and c". Grigs didn't do enough to get the talent, the Pep hasn't done well game planning and play calling, Gilbert hasn't developed talent well enough, Luck should look for quick passes a greater percentage of the time, the individual O-lineman should complete their assignments more than they do. I think I've listed the order of blame in sort of a descending fashion there, but it's not like any of them have been good enough in their respective roles. 

There is a balance between run blocking and pass blocking. Rarely will a line excel at both. The DNA to do each task is completely different. Finesse/Power.

We have not had the right backs to run the ball, and kept thinking it was the O-Lines fault. So we continued to upgrade the O-Line towards running the ball. Problem is we shifted too far away from pass protection. Now that we have Gore, it is easy to see that this O-Line can run block. It just can't pass block to save its life.