Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A play that flew under the radar

Dustin

Walden has had quite a number of stupid penalties like this. Not just on QBs either.

I like his aggressiveness, just use your head Eric.

Someone has to get on these guys about the darn penslties.

Especially the holding.

His team has a severe lack of fucus, control, and discipline (and to some degree emotion) Those things flow down from above.

Another item that kind of flies under the radar is Pagano's challenge of MM's fumble on the Titan's final drive.  I know the funble/recovery would have been a huge play for the Colts and ended the game but you also have to look at the situation:

The previous 5 plays for Tenn before that were:

Run for -3 yards

Interception

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Then on the next play you get a huge sack.  To put it in a boxing analogy, you have just landed some big shots, the other guy is wobbly and you have him against the ropes and rather than going to the knock out you wrap him up and let him catch his breath.  Calling for the review gave Tenn a time to catch their breath, regroup and refocus and the result was a long TD scoring drive that nearly tied the game.

IMO you let that role and play and keep your D pumped up.  I'm not soley blaming Pagano, whomever the Colts use for their replay told him he had a chance to win it but, if I were Pags I would of gone with the momentum.

Another item that kind of flies under the radar is Pagano's challenge of MM's fumble on the Titan's final drive. I know the funble/recovery would have been a huge play for the Colts and ended the game but you also have to look at the situation:

Run for -3 yards

Interception

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Then on the next play you get a huge sack. To put it in a boxing analogy, you have just landed some big shots, the other guy is wobbly and you have him against the ropes and rather than going to the knock out you wrap him up and let him catch his breath. Calling for the review gave Tenn a time to catch their breath, regroup and refocus and the result was a long TD scoring drive that nearly tied the game.

IMO you let that role and play and keep your D pumped up. I'm not soley blaming Pagano, whomever the Colts use for their replay told him he had a chance to win it but, if I were Pags I would of gone with the momentum.

I see what you're saying but I think Pagano made the right decision. He had to make a quick call and if the challenge is won the game is over; if lost, they still have to drive the entire field. Hindsight might agree with you but they may have lined up and got the first down on the next play, regardless.

Another item that kind of flies under the radar is Pagano's challenge of MM's fumble on the Titan's final drive.  I know the funble/recovery would have been a huge play for the Colts and ended the game but you also have to look at the situation:

Run for -3 yards

Interception

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Then on the next play you get a huge sack.  To put it in a boxing analogy, you have just landed some big shots, the other guy is wobbly and you have him against the ropes and rather than going to the knock out you wrap him up and let him catch his breath.  Calling for the review gave Tenn a time to catch their breath, regroup and refocus and the result was a long TD scoring drive that nearly tied the game.

IMO you let that role and play and keep your D pumped up.  I'm not soley blaming Pagano, whomever the Colts use for their replay told him he had a chance to win it but, if I were Pags I would of gone with the momentum.

Not sure I agree with your rationale.  I thought throwing the flag was worth it.  There was a solid chance that MM might have roles on top of Mathis and not touched the ground.  It could have ended the game right there.

Not sure I agree with your rationale.  I thought throwing the flag was worth it.  There was a solid chance that MM might have roles on top of Mathis and not touched the ground.  It could have ended the game right there.

I see what you're saying but I think Pagano made the right decision. He had to make a quick call and if the challenge is won the game is over; if lost, they still have to drive the entire field. Hindsight might agree with you but they may have lined up and got the first down on the next play, regardless.

I admit, I go back and forth and if this was a debate class I could probably debate on either side of the issue.

And like I said, I don't know what the replay guy told him, if he said Mariota wasn't down when he fumbled you need to challenge this, then I think Pagano did what he had to do.  If the replay guy said something like it's 50/50 or it could go either way, then don't throw the flag and let it play out, IMO.

I yelled at the tv when this happened because it also stopped the clock which would have ran down to 2 minute warning.

Another item that kind of flies under the radar is Pagano's challenge of MM's fumble on the Titan's final drive. I know the funble/recovery would have been a huge play for the Colts and ended the game but you also have to look at the situation:

Run for -3 yards

Interception

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Incomplete Pass

Then on the next play you get a huge sack. To put it in a boxing analogy, you have just landed some big shots, the other guy is wobbly and you have him against the ropes and rather than going to the knock out you wrap him up and let him catch his breath. Calling for the review gave Tenn a time to catch their breath, regroup and refocus and the result was a long TD scoring drive that nearly tied the game.

IMO you let that role and play and keep your D pumped up. I'm not soley blaming Pagano, whomever the Colts use for their replay told him he had a chance to win it but, if I were Pags I would of gone with the momentum.

I admit, I go back and forth and if this was a debate class I could probably debate on either side of the issue.

And like I said, I don't know what the replay guy told him, if he said Mariota wasn't down when he fumbled you need to challenge this, then I think Pagano did what he had to do. If the replay guy said something like it's 50/50 or it could go either way, then don't throw the flag and let it play out, IMO.

I think even at 50/50 you have to challenge that. The possibility of winning that challenge outweighs the supposed "momentum" loss, IMO.

I have watched to replay of the roughing the passer penalty and Walden did hit the QB but not enough to draw a roughing the passes penalty. The QB flopped big time. Walden didn't touch the QB high, low or enough for him to fly to the ground IMO.

I felt the same way CC1.

Walden purposely ran into the QB well after the ball was released. He easily could have pulled up. Whether Mariota flopped is irrelevant as is how hard the hit was. It was late and targeted. That was clear cut roughing.

Walden purposely ran into the QB well after the ball was released. He easily could have pulled up. Whether Mariota flopped is irrelevant. That was clear cut roughing.

He barely touched him. Meanwhile, defenders dive at Luck's knees every game, over and over again, and it NEVER gets called. I thought Walden's penalty was cheap, but I get it. He could have avoided that contact, and chose not to. Dumb foul.

He barely touched him. Meanwhile, defenders dive at Luck's knees every game, over and over again, and it NEVER gets called. I thought Walden's penalty was cheap, but I get it. He could have avoided that contact, and chose not to. Dumb foul.

How hard the hit was is irrelevant and I never said it was all that hard. He intentionally hit Mariota way after the ball was released, he even tried to sell it with a bull crap side check.

Walden purposely ran into the QB well after the ball was released. He easily could have pulled up. Whether Mariota flopped is irrelevant as is how hard the hit was. It was late and targeted. That was clear cut roughing.

If your going to make a big issue out of a ticky tacky foul how about calling out some other players and their penalties? Yes it was not a smart thing to do but Walden was far from the only Colt player who drew dumb fouls. How many drives in the last three games have been stalled because of penalties? I lost count myself.

If your going to make a big issue out of a ticky tacky foul how about calling out some other players and their penalties? Yes it was not a smart thing to do but Walden was far from the only Colt player who drew dumb fouls. How many drives in the last three games have been stalled because of penalties? I lost count myself.

The difference is that our offensive line gets called for multiple holding penalties because they are terrible, Erik Walden gets stupid penalties like that because he is a *.

How hard the hit was is irrelevant and I never said it was all that hard. He intentionally hit Mariota way after the ball was released, he even tried to sell it with a bull crap side check.

It wasn't way after. They typically allow the defender two steps, even if the ball is released. It was a borderline call. Walden could have avoided it, so again, dumb foul, but you're acting like he ran him over.

It wasn't way after. They typically allow the defender two steps, even if the ball is released. It was a borderline call. Walden could have avoided it, so again, dumb foul, but you're acting like he ran him over.

I'm not acting like that at all, actually. I've said several times that how hard the hit was is irrelevant. It was late and he, IMO, clearly hit Mariota on purpose when he easily could have easily pulled up.

Personal fouls are the most avoidable and dumbest fouls possible. This personal foul wasn't ticky tacky. It was a stupid, evident late hit.

Also, I didn't start this thread. I just responded to someone who thinks it wasn't a personal foul. That's just wrong.

I'm not acting like that at all, actually. I've said several times that how hard the hit was is irrelevant. It was late and he, IMO, clearly hit Mariota on purpose when he easily could have easily pulled up.

So what should the coaches do? Would tar and feathers suit you? haha  Walden's penalty was only one in a bunch of penalties. The name of the thread is The Play That Flew Under The Radar and now you want to make it a big issue? It was a penalty that really don't deserve this much attention.

So what should the coaches do? Would tar and feathers suit you? haha Walden's penalty was only one in a bunch of penalties. The name of the thread is The Play That Flew Under The Radar and now you want to make it a big issue? It was a penalty that really don't deserve this much attention.

Are you kidding me? Seriously. You have to be kidding me? This thread is all about how stupid the penalty was. That's the whole point of the thread.

Calling the play for what it was, dumb and avoidable, does not equate to making it a bigger deal than it is.

I know you enjoy singling me out but maybe choose your battles better.

Are you kidding me? Seriously. You have to be kidding me? This thread is all about how stupid the penalty was. That's the whole point of the thread.

So where you going with this? Where did I say it wasn't a stupid penalty? I said it was a ticky tacky penalty and that is my opinion. You have a different opinion, so what? You really want this nonsense to carry on? Not me, so lets move on? It's really not worth anymore than what has already been said.

So where you going with this? Where did I say it wasn't a stupid penalty? I said it was a ticky tacky penalty and that is my opinion. You have a different opinion, so what? You really want this nonsense to carry on? Not me, so lets move on? It's really not worth anymore than what has already been said.

Good god. As I said, choose your battles better next time. This was complete nonsense.

You call this a battle? Since when does a difference in opinion called a battle? Maybe to you but that in itself is what is nonsense. I ask that we move on but yet you call it a battle? :console:

You single me out, out of everyone, in a thread that is specifically about how dumb the one penalty was and ask me why I'm focusing on that one penalty. And then you tell me I'm making it a bigger deal than it was, which I really wasn't. And then you say let's just end it. Yes, that was all nonsense. As for "choose your battles" it is an idiom; basically, don't waste your time, and mine, on such nonsense.

So, yes, let's end this.

You single me out, out of everyone, in a thread that is specifically about how dumb the one penalty was and ask me why I'm focusing on that one penalty. And then you tell me I'm making it a bigger deal than it was, which I really wasn't. And then you say let's just end it. Yes, that was all nonsense. As for "choose your battles" it is an idiom; basically, don't waste your time, and mine, on such nonsense.

So, yes, let's end this.

I singled you out? That won't happen again.