Brief Comparison: Manning's Colts Vs. Luck's Colts

jimhegley

Just a brief comparison between Manning’s Colts and Luck’s Colts:

- two All-Pro pass-rushers   vs.   nearly non-existent pass rush

- All- Pro LT   vs.   very god LT

- All-Pro Center   vs.   not even sure who might start there

- good to very good RT   vs.   struggling rookie LG

- All-Pro running back   vs.   All-Pro aging veteran

- Possible/probable HoF head coach   vs.   head coach working on one year contract

- apparent miracle worker O-line coach   vs.   I have no idea ?

- HoF GM   vs.   Grigson

- Possible/probable HoF head coach   vs.   head coach working on one year contract

- HoF GM   vs.   Grigson

Those things are true but not exactly what they seem. He didn't have Edge when he had Freeney and Mathis at the top of their game. He didn't have a great coach for his entire career. That all-pro LT only played a short time. It seems like an absurd comparison in many ways.

I think is clear the best Colts team on the field since their arrival in Indy is the 2005 team. They were firing on all cylinders that season. Great offense & defense was strong. Edge was playing great ball, Marvin & Reggie we're tearing it up. Peyton was at the top of his game. 14-2 and I think we all know the undefeated season was on the table. Luck & squad are good, but young. Not the same fire power. They play with guts more than precision which will come in time and some better pieces.  

whatever . . . but just for me, it says something!  I never intended it to be deeply thought out and researched.  I guess I am not really qualified to post on this website in spite of the fact that I have been a Colts fan since 1954.  Sorry to embarrass you'll!

whatever . . . but just for me, it says something! I never intended it to be deeply thought out and researched. I guess I am not really qualified to post on this website in spite of the fact that I have been a Colts fan since 1954. Sorry to embarrass you'll!

For someone your age, you act very childish with the poor grammar to go with it. One doth protest too much?

whatever . . . but just for me, it says something!  I never intended it to be deeply thought out and researched.  I guess I am not really qualified to post on this website in spite of the fact that I have been a Colts fan since 1954.  Sorry to embarrass you'll!

Its not just that.  But you're also comparing Luck going into year 4 with Manning's colts after 14 years.  Completely different if you compare their first 3 years side by side.  Mannings Colts really didn't start becoming a top AFC team until 2003 and on.  Those first 4- 5 years were roller coaster years

The base level of expectations were higher when Luck started, due to which comparisons will be made earlier than necessary, that has to be kept in perspective. The fact that we are a spoiled lucky franchise in terms of success should not be forgotten :).

But if lessons from the past and present are any indication, win your SB before your QB gets his big contract is mostly applicable (Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, Russell Wilson all come to mind) because it does help put a better team around him, just those extra 1 or 2 players in the pass rush or secondary that make a difference. Peyton and Eli did make plays in the playoffs during their SB runs but their D stepped up more than in the previous playoff runs, and most of those Ds' elements were built in the draft (with Polian and Reese), something Grigson has yet to prove he can get it done in the draft.

Patriots did rent Revis and Browner on their way to the SB, and maybe our rentals in free agency pay off as well :) along those lines. Our defensive philosophy has been more free agency oriented than draft oriented, sooner or later there has to be a balance struck since it is not sustainable long term.

Please young man do not make comparisons between Luck and Manning. They are two different types of QBs. You came off as complaining about this team when I am not too sure if that was your intent. As another member mentioned all those players you mentioned were not on the Colts at the same time. As a new member please feel welcome to voice and share your thoughts, just think them out a little more. There have been countless threads in the past that have discussed, debated and argued over past, present and the future of this team. Different team, times and players really cant be compaired to each other because of the situations.

It was a good post so don't sweat it. Some of the guys on here make a living posting on this

site and can get a little critical at times.

- HoF GM   vs.   Grigson

When I first got on, I just about lost it the first day on a couple of guys on here.  A couple of them are not here anymore.  This is a site for your opinions as well as others so hang in there.

We had a great run with the great 18, but number 12 is going to carve his way to the top of the charts.  He is the best young QB that I was seen in many years.  Sometime we will be comparing others to Andrew Luck.  Then we will end up saying..."Quit the comparisons.":)   :funny:

- HoF GM   vs.   Grigson

Clearly you have No Idea what All-Pro means. Come on man!

Its not just that.  But you're also comparing Luck going into year 4 with Manning's colts after 14 years.  Completely different if you compare their first 3 years side by side.  Mannings Colts really didn't start becoming a top AFC team until 2003 and on.  Those first 4- 5 years were roller coaster years

Yeah, I feel like people sometimes forget it took Manning 6 years to win his first playoff game. Luck won his first playoff game in his second season, and in that game had one of the best, most electric, heads up plays (goal line fumble recovery) I've ever seen a QB make.

Clearly you have No Idea what All-Pro means. Come on man!

actually he is mostly right

Freeney

Saturday

and james were all first team all pros

though it was kind of a loaded statement, he wasnt wrong about the coach and GM.(though dungy was peyton's coach for less than half of his time here)

tarik glenn was never an all pro but he was a three time pro bowler

mathis never made all pro until luck was here

he was right about right tackle too

My comparison is that Colts football is really fun to watch again. It has been way more entertaining over the last 3years then the last few years of Peyton. They became too regimented and mechanical. No one looked like they ever were having fun. Ever. Today's Colts look like they have fun. They can play schoolyard football when needed which is something that Peyton could never or will ever be able to do. Also more wins in the playoffs for Luck in his first 3 years

Instead of comparing Manning's greatest teammates and coaches during various times of his 15 yrs as a Colt vs Luck's 1st 3 years should we only use Mannings first 3 years? I'm not saying your wrong I guess I just don't get the point of the comparison. Are you saying Luck is better because he's doing more with less? Are you saying Grigson isn't surrounding Luck with as good of a team as Polian did for Peyton? What's the point?

Not much of a roller coaster. The only losing seasons Manning's colts had were his rookie yr and the year he broke his jaw.

Not much of a roller coaster. The only losing seasons Manning's colts had were his rookie yr and the year he broke his jaw.

I think you're missing the Jim Mora "Playoffs?...Playoffs?" year. Was it 2001 they went 6-10 or something like that? I could be wrong...too lazy right now to use google....

These Colts are ahead of those Colts in terms of results.  It took Manning's Colts six years just to win a playoff game.  Luck and company have three wins in the playoffs in just three years and also have a trip to the AFCCG.  That's really the only comparison I need. 

Those things are true but not exactly what they seem. He didn't have Edge when he had Freeney and Mathis at the top of their game. He didn't have a great coach for his entire career. That all-pro LT only played a short time. It seems like an absurd comparison in many ways.

exacly

These Colts are ahead of those Colts in terms of results. It took Manning's Colts six years just to win a playoff game. Luck and company have three wins in the playoffs in just three years and also have a trip to the AFCCG. That's really the only comparison I need

yeah so correct.