Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Vontae be a first team all pro next year

12isthenew18

He was the best last year but earned no credit from fans and AP. If he repeats that type of season do you think he gets respect?

Pats fans be like, who's Vontae?

But seriously, I think he has a very high possibility of earning all pro this season. He deserves a lot of credit for how hard he plays.

There is a real argument that Vontae should be the highest rated CB in the league.... how many games has it been since he has allowed a TD throw against him now? I know it has been 1014 game snaps since he has.... That is incredible.

Also, when thrown at he allowed a passer rating of 36.7..... I mean come on.... How is he not already the first name to be called to the all pro team?

There is a real argument that Vontae should be the highest rated CB in the league.... how many games has it been since he has allowed a TD throw against him now? I know it has been 1014 game snaps since he has.... That is incredible.

Also, when thrown at he allowed a passer rating of 36.7..... I mean come on.... How is he not already the first name to be called to the all pro team?

TY scored on him in the Pro Bowl

The thing that put Revis over Vontae for me last year was that Revis could play anywhere, including the slot.  Then, I think it was in the playoffs, I saw Vontae play some slot and cover TEs and times.  That makes him neck and neck with Revis.  However, I think it's largely a name game.  Richard Sherman made All-Pro last year despite having a handful of games where he looked very beatable.  To me, the top 2 CBs in the game are Revis and Vontae and I'm not sure what order I would put them in.

Vontae doesn't get as many INTs. That is because QBs will sometimes test Sherman and Revis, but are conditioned to not throw the ball anywhere in the vicinity  of Davis.

It's mostly because Vontae has terrible hands. 

The thing that put Revis over Vontae for me last year was that Revis could play anywhere, including the slot. Then, I think it was in the playoffs, I saw Vontae play some slot and cover TEs and times. That makes him neck and neck with Revis. However, I think it's largely a name game. Richard Sherman made All-Pro last year despite having a handful of games where he looked very beatable. To me, the top 2 CBs in the game are Revis and Vontae and I'm not sure what order I would put them in.

Vontae lined up on Gronk on the goalline and didn't allow a TD. He was maybe the best in the league last year

Vontae lined up on Gronk on the goalline and didn't allow a TD. He was maybe the best in the league last year

Agreed.  I had Vontae in my top 4 or 5 last year.  Then, when I saw him get moved around, play some slot, cover Gronk, and do it all really well, I put him in my top 2 with Revis.

That is not true. Vontae has excellent hands, especially for a corner.

Excellent? I wouldn't say they're awful for a corner but saying they're good is a stretch, much less excellent.

And how many drops?  Excellent hands doesn't refer to a few highlight plays, it's consistency.  And he's dropped his fair share.

When was that?

Show me these drops. Or just tell me what game it was, along with what time of the game, and I will pull the video from the digital library and watch them.

When was that?

Show me these drops. Or just tell me what game it was, along with what time of the game, and I will pull the video from the digital library and watch them.

Off the top of my head there was a pretty bad drop against Houston last year.  I don't exactly remember every pass breakup that would have been a pick if he had "excellent" hands.

Off the top of my head there was a pretty bad drop against Houston last year. I don't exactly remember every pass breakup that would have been a pick if he had "excellent" hands.

Home or away game? What quarter and how much time was left?

Also if you can only think of one drop "off the top of your head" then you're not doing well defending your position.

Jerry Rice had dropped passes. Marvin Harrison had dropped passes. Every receiver in the hall of fame has dropped passes.

One drop. That's all you can "kind of" remember Vontae having?

My argument stands strong. Vontae has excellent hands.

Home or away game? What quarter and how much time was left?

Also if you can only think of one drop "off the top of your head" then you're not doing well defending your position.

Jerry Rice had dropped passes. Marvin Harrison had dropped passes. Every receiver in the hall of fame has dropped passes.

One drop. That's all you can "kind of" remember Vontae having?

My argument stands strong. Vontae has excellent hands.

He definitely had a few against Denver. I think one in the opener and 2 in the play off game. One coming in the 4th quarter. I wouldn't say he has horrible hands, but he has definitely dropped his share of easier interceptions.

If there are only 4 highlights of his outstanding plays in his career, it stands to reason all the other times a pass was thrown at him, he defended, but didn't intercept with a great hands play.   4 examples does not prove a point either way in  a career for any player.  Heck, doesn't JJ WATT have far more great hands highlights than that?  (Don't bother to look it up, I don't really care that much either way) but it is disingenuous to demand proof down to the quarter, home/away and minute of a game... what if he produced 4 examples of him dropping passes? Guess what? That wouldn't be convincing proof of bad hands either.  Stalemate. 

If there are only 4 highlights of his outstanding plays in his career, it stands to reason all the other times a pass was thrown at him, he defended, but didn't intercept with a great hands play.   4 examples does not prove a point either way in  a career for any player.  Heck, doesn't JJ WATT have far more great hands highlights than that?  (Don't bother to look it up, I don't really care that much either way) but it is disingenuous to demand proof down to the quarter, home/away and minute of a game... what if he produced 4 examples of him dropping passes? Guess what? That wouldn't be convincing proof of bad hands either.  Stalemate. 

Do a search on Google and you will find several of Vontae's interceptions. I only listed 4 because they were the top returns of the search.

Vontae has proven throughout his career that he has excellent hands. 

Last season around week 2 or 3, I posted a very long and detailed thread stating that Vontae was the best corner in the game. Even most Colts fans did not agree with me, and most still don't. If Vontae cannot even get the respect he deserves from Colts fans then how can he get enough respect to become an All Pro. There is no question mark to end that last sentence, because it wasn't really a question. 

Vontae is the second best CB in the league IMO, second only to Revis. He's better than Sherman because the safeties are really the core of the L.O.B.

One on one,Sherman is very beatable and last season he got beat by a handful of guys including rookies ODB and Kelvin Benjamin.

Vontae is the second best CB in the league IMO, second only to Revis. He's better than Sherman because the safeties are really the core of the L.O.B.

One on one,Sherman is very beatable and last season he got beat by a handful of guys including rookies ODB and Kelvin Benjamin.

This

Sherman's job is to cover a specific area. I do not believe his skill-set translates to man coverage, because he lacks the speed to do so. He is an awesome zone scheme corner though.

Vontae is so talented and so unique that he can cover the fast receivers, but can also line up against the bigger TE's (Gronk).

When Vontae lined up on Gronk, I knew Gronk had no chance. 

Sherman's job is to cover a specific area. I do not believe his skill-set translates to man coverage, because he lacks the speed to do so. He is an awesome zone scheme corner though.

Vontae is so talented and so unique that he can cover the fast receivers, but can also line up against the bigger TE's (Gronk).

When Vontae lined up on Gronk, I knew Gronk had no chance.

Hmm no... Sherman is every bit the man corner that Vontae and Revis are. Sure, Sherman will see some zone coverage every now and then, they all do, but again he's primarily a man cover guy. Seattle plays their corners just like the Colts do.