Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When La'el clears his name

12isthenew18

It would be a miracle if we were able to get Collins as an UDFA. (Assuming his innocence). He was my favorite OL in this draft. I can't imagine it will happen, but if Grigson were able to pull it off, I might take back some mean things I said about him.

When and If he clears his name we'd be crazy not to go after him. He's one of the best 3-4 O-Lineman in this class and would have been a 1st rounder for sure. From what I understand and have read, I don't believe the kid had anything to do with what happened. Its just common procedure for authorities to interview everyone and check every box.

If he came to Indy he could start at RT for a legit super bowl contender. I like the players we added in the draft, but the one thing we're missing is a long term RT. If there's any reason to believe Cherilus won't return to his 2013 form then we should definitely add La'El Collins (provided he can/will clear his name). Projected starting lineup of Castonzo-Mewhort-Holmes-Herremans-Colins with Reitz, Thornton, Harrison, John, and Heenan for competition/depth (the last two might be practice squad). I'd be pleased with that. 

There will be 32 NFL tems trying to sign him when he clears his name. I don't think he signs here unless he's promised a day 1 starter position like some team will.

That sounds like a no brainer

There are few things in life more awkward than explaining a dead, pregnant ex-girlfriend to police. 

IF........if he clears his name......

Was he the father of the baby she was pregnant with?

IF Collins' name is cleared,  of course we'll go after him -- and HARD.

Everyone can offer him the same deal....   I think it's 3-years at roughly $1.6m total.     That's it.

What everyone CAN'T offer is what we can....  Andrew Luck,  a division we should dominate making it easier to make the playoffs, and a legitimate shot at the Post Season for about the next 10-12 years.    And while I'd never tell the kid he's got a "guaranteed" spot on the line waiting for him,  I'd make it clear that the depth chart looks incredibly favorable for him.   (#Understatement!)

What should our contract offer be 4/8m 6m bonus?

Colts (actually, all NFL teams) have $80,362 to use towards UDFA signing bonuses.  Pay will be approximately $410,000 year 1, $510,000 year 2, and around $600,000 year 3.  You could give La'El a larger signing bonus (say, 20 grand or so) and a first round tender after year 3 if he plays well.  But La'El gets to pick who he'll sign with, unlike being drafted.  But nobody will offer anything until the police clear him of being a suspect.  His next step is being interviewed by Baton Rouge police-

“There are numerous other people who are going to be interviewed,” said Lt. Johnny Dunnam, a Baton Rouge police spokesman. “So he is one of many.”

I also ran across this-

"Boren, Collins’ attorney, said a private investigative company recently was hired to determine Collins’ whereabouts on Friday — when Mills was shot — and Boren said he believes the resulting alibi will rule out Collins as a possible suspect in Mills’ death."

I'm thinking that Collins and agent asked teams not to draft him in rounds 4-7 (this is what I had heard anyway) for 2 reasons . One he gets to pick his team.... that's obvious. Two maybe they can get the NFL to reverse the decision to not allow him to enter the supplemental draft ? Seems like if he was not drafted and was cleared , it would not be an unreasonable request. 

Can he sign a shorter deal than 3 years?  I'm guessing he would want it to be as short as possible.

The team that signs him would have the rights to him for 4 years. The best he can do is get paid in his 4th year on whatever the 1st round tender price would be for that year.

The team that signs him would have the rights to him for 4 years. The best he can do is get paid in his 4th year on whatever the 1st round tender price would be for that year.

Not true. UDFA contracts are only 3 years long. He would be wise to sign with a team that is known to extend players early for good performance. Sadly. we are not one of those teams. However we can offer quick success which could help him sway our team into extending him after year two.

Not true. UDFA contracts are only 3 years long. He would be wise to sign with a team that is known to extend players early for good performance. Sadly. we are not one of those teams. However we can offer quick success which could help him sway our team into extending him after year two.

what I said was true. Yes it's a 3 year contract but the team can retain his rights for the 4th year by putting a qualifying offer on him. If he's good they put a first round tender on him and he earns around 3 million. Another team can offer him more but has to give the team their 1st round pick for that year. They can also match the offer.

If this guy is 100% innocent, man... what a terrible thing. I mean it's bad enough a young woman and her then-unborn child died. If he turns out to be the father you'd have to believe that changes the investigation some. Crazy story though. 

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/, OverTheCap has already solved this issue, he can win good money but needs to start plus needs a team that is willing to extend him after just 2 season(is the minimun before a UDFA extension).

There is no way he can contractually guarantee himself an extension after 2 years.

That having been said basically you offer him a contract with a small signing bonus but guarantee the salary throughout the length of the contract.  This will result in guarantees around that of a 2nd round pick.

But he won't ever approach the money he'd have gotten as a 1st rounder.  Sucks for him.

There is no way he can contractually guarantee himself an extension after 2 years.

That having been said basically you offer him a contract with a small signing bonus but guarantee the salary throughout the length of the contract.  This will result in guarantees around that of a 2nd round pick.

But he won't ever approach the money he'd have gotten as a 1st rounder.  Sucks for him.

I just learned something.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Page 28, under Renegotiations (k)

i) A Rookie Contract for a Drafted Rookie may not be renegotiated,

amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player’s

third contract year.

(ii) A Rookie Contract for an Undrafted Rookie may not be renegotiated,

amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player’s

second contract year.

So a UDFA can be extended after two years. You're right that he can't guarantee that extension in advance.

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

third contract year.

second contract year.

So a UDFA can be extended after two years. You're right that he can't guarantee that extension in advance.

Yeah... I thought that I was messed up by thinking it (the extension) had to be after year 3. I never even thought it could be different for RFA than drafted players. 

third contract year.

second contract year.

Yeah it could be of benefit to him.  But honestly I don't see why a team would just give up a year of cheap play like that.  

Honestly the league should have just let him enter the supplemental draft.  

Yeah it could be of benefit to him.  But honestly I don't see why a team would just give up a year of cheap play like that.  

Honestly the league should have just let him enter the supplemental draft.  

Some teams like to give early extensions in order to keep the total contract value down. It's a little bit of a cap discount, especially when the bonus is laid over the final year of the rookie contract, but the salaries don't increase until the next season. 

The Colts haven't done that under Grigson, but they also haven't had any young players worthy of extensions. Not until AC in 2014, but they had his fifth year option. I still expect deals to get done for him, Hilton, Allen and Fleener sometime before camp.

bet we don't even look into him

Unless he's just playing it cool, you may be right.

{"We feel comfortable that we have enough options to work with," general manager Ryan Grigson said. "We have (offseason workouts), and then we can see them out on the grass and figure it out from there. We feel confident in what we have."}

http://www.indystar.com/story/colts-insider/2015/05/04/indianapolis-colts-nfl-draft-lsu-lael-collins/26891729/

He won't sign here knowing that Castanzo and Cherilus are starters. Mewhort could also play some RT. I like Collins but Cherilus was great when healthy, I think he has a few good years left.

I think he considers is, probably the best chance to start on a super bowl ready team. its likely a 50/50 chance Cherilus goes down and Collins will have to step up. 

If he signs with us he likely starts next year