Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

J. Freeman wants NEW CONTRACT, skips workouts

TKnight24

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always puzzled by how much fans worry about their favorite team's finances. As far as I'm concerned I don't care about how they manage their salaries, cap and other things. I am sure they can manage. As an individual in the work market I can relate more to players wanting money while they can still get them. Life in NFL is tough, usually short, and if they get injured of don't outperform other players they are thrown away like expired goods. I don't know, I may get more cynical as I'm getting older but I feel like there is a lot of hypocrisy in NFL world. It's a tough business, I don't necessarily blame them, but it goes both ways.

Fans worry about the finances because of the salary cap, so how the money is spent often plays a big role in a teams success.  I can see both sides, but players know how it works when they choose the profession and sign the contract. 

Fans worry about the finances because of the salary cap, so how the money is spent often plays a big role in a teams success.  I can see both sides, but players know how it works when they choose the profession and sign the contract. 

Players obviously know what they're dealing with. This is the little bit of leverage they have. It works often enough that it's not a terrible strategy, and I certainly don't begrudge any of them for using it. There are certain instances where I think it's low brow, but when you have an RFA like Freeman who has easily outplayed his first contract, I get why he wants to talk about a real deal. Players have never liked restricted free agency and franchise tags, and that includes players getting $10-15m for one season. Of course Freeman is going to feel some kind of way about a one year, $2.4m tender. And he's 29. Time is running out for him.

Players obviously know what they're dealing with. This is the little bit of leverage they have. It works often enough that it's not a terrible strategy, and I certainly don't begrudge any of them for using it. There are certain instances where I think it's low brow, but when you have an RFA like Freeman who has easily outplayed his first contract, I get why he wants to talk about a real deal. Players have never liked restricted free agency and franchise tags, and that includes players getting $10-15m for one season. Of course Freeman is going to feel some kind of way about a one year, $2.4m tender. And he's 29. Time is running out for him.

My main point I was making was in reply to RCF asking why fans care about finances. I don't disagree that Freeman is trying to use what little leverage he has and he probably deserves more than he is making, but players don't give money back when they underplay. I would just as soon see Freeman have no choice but to sign a low dollar contract and allow us to get some good depth at ILB.

He's overplayed his hand, especially after last year.  There is no reason the Colts need to do anything with him now, nor should they.  They know he will sign his tender.  They will see how he does this year and decide what to do afterward.  

What happened last year?     He got hurt and missed four games.  

If you give him his per game average for tackles over a 16 games season,  he'd be right there where he was in years 1 and 2.   Among the league leader in tackles.

I don't see how he's over-played his hand at this point?    He's basically saying you're now paying me the minimum required and I think I'm worth more...   so I'm only going to give you the minimum required in return.     He won't be here at any off-season workouts that he's not required to.     It's his only leverage.

He'll be here when the rules say he has to.

Freeman has been very good for the Colts.    I don't see why so many in this thread think he's easily replaceable. 

If you give him his per game average for tackles over a 16 games season,  he'd be right there where he was in years 1 and 2.   Among the league leader in tackles.

I don't see how he's over-played his hand at this point?    He's basically saying you're now paying me the minimum required and I think I'm worth more...   so I'm only going to give you the minimum required in return.     He won't be here at any off-season workouts that he's not required to.     It's his only leverage.

Freeman has been very good for the Colts.    I don't see why so many in this thread think he's easily replaceable. 

I didn't say it was fair, nor do I blame him for trying.  But fact is, whatever the reason, he was at best inconsistent.  The Colts bring in a couple players, maybe draft another at his position, and yes, I think he's overplayed his hand.  If he made all-pro, hey who knows.  But the year was what it was for whatever reason and I don't think he's going to get anything this year.

Freeman is a nice cover LB who can tackle in the open field. He's not stout against the run between the tackles. He gets swallowed up in traffic. He's a good ILB but he is replaceable IMO. Doesn't mean I don't like him. Jerrell, sign your tender. Play out the year and next season someone will pay you. It may not be the Colts but someone will give him a solid contract, it's just a year away.

Life in NFL is tough, usually short, and if they get injured of don't outperform other players they are thrown away like expired goods.

No argument there but its common knowledge how the NFL operates, and too many of these guys completely disregard their college educations. I'm not sure what Freeman's situation is with that....but he is certainly not irreplaceable.

Good for him.  He deserves it, IMO.

I'm usually a "by the book" person on stuff like this, but I think the Colts are taking advantage of him a bit.  He's got a second round tender, meaning management recognizes he is a decent player; he's been a solid player for several years when he was healthy, and at 29 has several more good year left.

And the Colts have cap space, don't they?  Why not a short multiple year contract with a small guaranteed portion.  DQ got it and Freeman's a better player.

A healthy Nate Irving, a healthy Jerrell Freeman, and DQ, might make an ILB less of a need this coming draft. And with the exception of Anthony and McKinney, the other college guys lack the prototypical 34 size just like Freeman does.

I think I'd rather give Freeman his contract than spend a 2nd rounder on the one of the college guys.  Irving can replace DQ.

Good for him.  He deserves it, IMO.

I'm usually a "by the book" person on stuff like this, but I think the Colts are taking advantage of him a bit.  He's got a second round tender, meaning management recognizes he is a decent player; he's been a solid player for several years when he was healthy, and at 29 has several more good year left.

And the Colts have cap space, don't they?  Why not a short multiple year contract with a small guaranteed portion.  DQ got it and Freeman's a better player.

A healthy Nate Irving, a healthy Jerrell Freeman, and DQ, might make an ILB less of a need this coming draft. And with the exception of Anthony, the other college guys lack the prototypical 34 size just like Freeman does.

Lots we don't know. The Colts may have offered Freeman just what you're suggesting.

But they aren't taking advantage of him. They put a second round tender on him because that's the best way they could protect their rights to keep him. If there was a 4th round tender, they would have used it, but there's not. And because he was undrafted, the original round tender would mean they don't get any compensation if another team signs him. It's just the logical choice.

He signed a deal that's dictated by the CBA, in terms of length, amount, and when he can receive a new extension. He's actually making more on the one year tender than he would have on a four year contract if he had been drafted at the end of the 4th round in 2012. I understand why he wants a deal, but he's not being taken advantage of. Not at all. 

Lots we don't know. The Colts may have offered Freeman just what you're suggesting.

But they aren't taking advantage of him. They put a second round tender on him because that's the best way they could protect their rights to keep him. If there was a 4th round tender, they would have used it, but there's not. And because he was undrafted, the original round tender would mean they don't get any compensation if another team signs him. It's just the logical choice.

He signed a deal that's dictated by the CBA, in terms of length, amount, and when he can receive a new extension. He's actually making more on the one year tender than he would have on a four year contract if he had been drafted at the end of the 4th round in 2012. I understand why he wants a deal, but he's not being taken advantage of. Not at all. 

My terminology may lack precision in terms of taking advantage.  Its a business and both sides must do what they need to protect their interests. 

I think he has outplayed his contract the past few years.  At 29, its not unreasonable to pay him more for a longer term and to recognize his past contribution.  We have te cap space to throw him a bit of bone this year.  If he were 32, I'd simply say thank you very much for your service and we'll talk about your compensation each coming offseason. 

I actually think he is too good of a player and too young to take that approach right now.

I can understand he's a bit older and is trying to get a pay check, but after last season I really don't think he's in a position to demand much of anything. Not effective at all at run defense. Pass defense is better but I'm not totally convinced. I want to like the guy, but he just gets washed out in most running plays. I'm not a huge DQ fan, but at least the guy has a nose for the ball and can stop a run play solo. Not to mention our abysmal ability to cover the middle of the field last year partly lies on Freeman (along with the rest of our LB and safety corps). I don't get real into the finances/cap situation, but I'd rather not invest too heavily in him right now. Don't get me wrong, his first season here was pretty impressive. I just didn't see much last season out of him. I do think he has potential to be a decent player (as we've seen), and maybe improving the D-line and safety play will help our LB's look better.

My terminology may lack precision in terms of taking advantage.  Its a business and both sides must do what they need to protect their interests. 

I think he has outplayed his contract the past few years.  At 29, its not unreasonable to pay him more for a longer term and to recognize his past contribution.  We have te cap space to throw him a bit of bone this year.  If he were 32, I'd simply say thank you very much for your service and we'll talk about your compensation each coming offseason. 

I actually think he is too good of a player and too young to take that approach right now.

Got it.

I have no problem with letting him play out the final year of his deal. I also have no problem with waiting until after the draft to make a firm decision about him. If we were to land Stephone Anthony, for instance, I'm okay with trading Freeman for a future pick, and then his new team can figure out how to address his contract, and we have no dead money afterward. 

And the big thing is that there's no telling what kind of discussion the team has had with him so far. We might have offered him three years, $12m, and he said no. Now what?

He underwhelmed last year...A healthy Nate Irving and a draft pick may change his attitude about the situation

Yeah. That's how I feel too. I personally don't have us getting an ILB high but,I think we'll get an ILB at some point.

I think the Colts are looking to finally get younger on defense through the draft, so he doesn't have much leverage.

How dare the man work his butt off since he was in school, reach the NFL, and take the one time he has to cash in for years of work, and asked to get paid. I mean fo..reals?  Don't you know that EVERYONE is replaceable in the draft. Heck...a third round pick from Southwestern Tennessee State Agricultural College could replace you. Experience is wayyyyyy overrated.

Don't forget..fool...if you aren't in the top ten on this board...your trash...washed up....old...replaceable. Be glad you had the opportunity to play in the NFL, suck it up, and let your money go to the top 5% of the players who make 70% of the money in the NFL.

sarcasm off/

By what standard?

He is not very good in pass coverage, he would not be a starter on multiple other teams in this league.  He put up good tackling numbers 2 and 3 seasons ago when he was healthy.  He is coming off a season which saw him miss 25% of the games to injury.  When healthy, he has been a solid player for us, but he is replaceable. 

I'm not sure if you remember Mike Peterson when he was demanding a huge salary back in 2002 and we let him walk, which Polian explained by saying, "at these [free-agent] prices, you'd like them to be great players, not good players.'' 

IMO, same goes for Freeman -- he is a good player, not a great player.  He can be replaced, and therefore, should not be holding out.

He is not very good in pass coverage, he would not be a starter on multiple other teams in this league.  He put up good tackling numbers 2 and 3 seasons ago when he was healthy.  He is coming off a season which saw him miss 25% of the games to injury.  When healthy, he has been a solid player for us, but he is replaceable. 

I'm not sure if you remember Mike Peterson when he was demanding a huge salary back in 2002 and we let him walk, which Polian explained by saying, "at these [free-agent] prices, you'd like them to be great players, not good players.'' 

IMO, same goes for Freeman -- he is a good player, not a great player.  He can be replaced, and therefore, should not be holding out.

You act like he's asking for $10m/year.