Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney as a 3-4 DE?

12isthenew18

I think you meant as a 3-4 OLB, not DE

And we know that doesn't work. A few years ago I thoght he could have been a decent situational pass rusher when we went to the 4-3 on passing downs.

He said he'd give the hometown discount. If his ego would have allowed him to be a part timer, it may have worked. I don't know if he has the speed now.

And we know that doesn't work. A few years ago I thoght he could have been a decent situational pass rusher when we went to the 4-3 on passing downs.

He said he'd give the hometown discount. If his ego would have allowed him to be a part timer, it may have worked. I don't know if he has the speed now.

I'd check with him again.  Maybe the last year has soften that ego a bit and he'd be willing to come here on the cheap.  Play one year as that situational pass rusher like Philips, then retire as a Colt.  What would be the harm in checking him out.

I'd check with him again.  Maybe the last year has soften that ego a bit and he'd be willing to come here on the cheap.  Play one year as that situational pass rusher like Philips, then retire as a Colt.  What would be the harm in checking him out.

I highly doubt he would go cheap. Not in his nature. He can't defend the pass or the run so what's the point?

He was actually doing well as a 3-4 OLB in San Diego before his injuries

is it possible I doubt it but it'd be really good to see him but erik needs to change his number then

Thoughts?

He's much, much better as a 4-3 DE as most 3-4 DE's are 300+ lbs, causing either a double team or at least more of a hassle.  Freeney would speed around the tackle whereas a 3-4 guy just holds them up while the OLB makes the pressure.

I do miss him as a Colt.

he was still a good pass rusher last year as an OLB.  he hasnt been able to stay on the field lately though, and he has not been any good against the run.

if mathis isnt ready for day one, i wouldnt mind him playing some rush LB for us.

one problem could be the vet minimum is too high for what his role would be

I highly doubt he would go cheap. Not in his nature. He can't defend the pass or the run so what's the point?

I agree.  That's why I would use him only as a situational pass rusher when we have four guys with hand in dirt.