Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All FA Concerns/Gripes/Complaints (Mega Merge)

Dark Superman

If the Colts don't win one or more of the next three Super Bowls, all these 30year old+ free agents will either be gone or spot players at best. Our

only hope is that the # 1 draft choices Grigson makes to replace these aging free agents are better than his last two, i.e. TRich & Werne

Bill Polian never liked free agency and and built within now I no why and after that Richardson trade  I lost all confidence in Grigson and in the end I think Luck will still be without a SB 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Colts don't win one or more of the next three Super Bowls, all these 30year old+ free agents will either be gone or spot players at best. Our

only hope is that the # 1 draft choices Grigson makes to replace these aging free agents are better than his last two, i.e. TRich & Werner.

Its all good. We signed a real tough guy in the backfield. A proven player. He's got miles on the tires but still has gas in the tank. We signed a veteran at RG to help the youth along the line. We signed a vet at OLB as an insurance policy for Mathis' return. We also got a veteran WR that was in demand from others and by all accounts can still be a threat.

Plus, we aren't done with FA in my opinion and we still have the draft.

only hope is that the # 1 draft choices Grigson makes to replace these aging free agents are better than his last two, i.e. TRich & Werner.

WOW...... have a Snickers!

Bill Polian never liked free agency and and built within now I no why and after that Richardson trade I lost all confidence in Grigson and in the end I think Luck will still be without a SB

You lost all confidence in Grigson?

That's pretty quick.

I guess we have been 2-14 the past 3 seasons.

Bill Polian never liked free agency and and built within now I no why and after that Richardson trade I lost all confidence in Grigson and in the end I think Luck will still be without a SB

Well I guess that settles it then....you'll have to languish, toil and wallow in pitiful misery for the next 10-12 years.

Have nice day. :)

Bill Polian never liked free agency and and built within now I no why and after that Richardson trade  I lost all confidence in Grigson and in the end I think Luck will still be without a SB 

Losing confidence in a GM over a single transaction is....well.... :nutz:

I badly want us to get good starters for our front 7 from the 1st 2 or 3 picks. We have to build that young core on defense like we have on offense, in a bad way. Can't count on free agency for most of our needs down the road.

ah, I see...I misinterpreted your previous post.  I still think losing all confidence in Grigson at this point though is :nutz:

I come from the old school build from within and keep trying to get younger. I understand everyone wants a quick fix in the NFL today but in the long wrong going after to many overpriced free agents usually does not work GO COLTS have a good day 

I come from the old school build from within and keep trying to get younger. I understand everyone wants a quick fix in the NFL today but in the long wrong going after to many overpriced free agents usually does not work GO COLTS have a good day

good thing we don't have many high priced FAs then huh

"Luck will still be without a SB" ... Are you kidding, me? Unbelievable! ;)

We can't call Werner a bust yet.  TRich, OK, but he's still on the roster and can be used in certain situations.  Werner knows the pressures on.  He needs to put the work in and get stronger and smarter.

Pagano benched him for the most important game of the year.  Tells me they lost confidence in him.  Was pulled from games because he was doing nothing.  Sorry, getting bigger & stronger doesn't translate into more talent.

Actually the build from within didn't work too well for winning SB's for the Colts either.    Polian refused to build a good defense through the draft and he didn't use free agency to build it.    So the Colts had a crappy defense for a decade.  

The FA signings they have made so far have been fantastic.    Impact players for low dollars.    Vegas agrees, they have moved the Colts up to one of the favorites to win the Superbowl.    They are not always right, but they are right more than they are wrong. 

Actually the build from within didn't work too well for winning SB's for the Colts either.    Polian refused to build a good defense through the draft and he didn't use free agency to build it.    So the Colts had a crappy defense for a decade.  

The FA signings they have made so far have been fantastic.    Impact players for low dollars.    Vegas agrees, they have moved the Colts up to one of the favorites to win the Superbowl.    They are not always right, but they are right more than they are wrong. 

Not sure I completely agree with your assessment of Polian's attempts to build a defense. If  you look at what we had in the mid to late 2000's on defense it was solid. The biggest issue we had was stopping the run. We had 2 premeire pass rushers with Mathis and Freeney. Most teams are lucky to have 1. We had the NFL defensive MVP in 2006 in Bob Sanders at safety(his only true healthy year). The weakness was the interior of the defense. But, if you get honest and look at the failures of those teams in the playoffs the offense bears just as much blame as the defense. New England knew how to stop our offense and if it were not for a mistimed/route jumped curl pattern in the Super Bowl we'd likely be talking about the Colts being 2 time Super Bowl champs.

I agree with your overall post. We got some things we needed in FA. It's always great to get young and build thru the draft and I'm sure we'll attempt to keep doing that but for the short term the team has made some FA signings that appear to be just what they need to help them win this year.

I have no problems with the pickups in FA, although I think Gore and Coles contract could have been structured a little better.  A sound draft that gets good talent to replace these FA pickups in a year or two will happen.  I have no doubt Grigson will get a RB, Guard, NT, and SS in the draft that will compete this year.  There is a lot of Dline and RB talent in the draft.

Not sure I completely agree with your assessment of Polian's attempts to build a defense. If  you look at what we had in the mid to late 2000's on defense it was solid. The biggest issue we had was stopping the run. We had 2 premeire pass rushers with Mathis and Freeney. Most teams are lucky to have 1. We had the NFL defensive MVP in 2006 in Bob Sanders at safety(his only true healthy year). The weakness was the interior of the defense. But, if you get honest and look at the failures of those teams in the playoffs the offense bears just as much blame as the defense. New England knew how to stop our offense and if it were not for a mistimed/route jumped curl pattern in the Super Bowl we'd likely be talking about the Colts being 2 time Super Bowl champs.

I agree with your overall post. We got some things we needed in FA. It's always great to get young and build thru the draft and I'm sure we'll attempt to keep doing that but for the short term the team has made some FA signings that appear to be just what they need to help them win this year.

The Colts defense during that decade was totally reliant on Manning being able to score early and often making teams give up on the run and thus allowing Freeney to lead the pass rush.  That is great for winning regular season games, but not playoff games.   I don't think many people who watched would think the Colts defense was "solid".   The numbers looked good, but they were skewed.   

I don't agree that the offense bears just as much blame as the defense.   That's crazy.     Don't you remember watching the defense give up over 200 yards rushing to teams on a weekly bases?   Fantasy players would always pickup/start the RB going against the Colts.   The offense was usually pressured to score on every possession because the defense could not stop the run.   Manning had to make the other team pass the ball.    Not saying that it was a bad strategy, it worked most of the time.    Just not in the playoffs consistently.   Good teams wouldn't give up on the run as soon.  

The Colts defense during that decade was totally reliant on Manning being able to score early and often making teams give up on the run and thus allowing Freeney to lead the pass rush. That is great for winning regular season games, but not playoff games. I don't think many people who watched would think the Colts defense was "solid". The numbers looked good, but they were skewed.

I don't agree that the offense bears just as much blame as the defense. That's crazy. Don't you remember watching the defense give up over 200 yards rushing to teams on a weekly bases? Fantasy players would always pickup/start the RB going against the Colts. The offense was usually pressured to score on every possession because the defense could not stop the run. Manning had to make the other team pass the ball. Not saying that it was a bad strategy, it worked most of the time. Just not in the playoffs consistently. Good teams wouldn't give up on the run as soon.

U make good points. I did watch the games thanks to Sunday ticket. My recollection of the playoff games was that when we lost, it was usually due to the offense sputtering because the other teams defense was able to disrupt the timing of manning and the receivers. The year we did win, the defense stopped the run and the offense was able to run effectively

same as last year we did not address our main needs, no impact safety, no monsters on front 7 on defense, no monsters on the o-line, we got past their prime additions on offense and burned our cap so there is nothing left for monsters, nothing left but the draft and some of them work out and some don't, imo a bad free agency for us

The FA signings they have made so far have been fantastic.    Impact players for low dollars.    Vegas agrees, they have moved the Colts up to one of the favorites to win the Superbowl.    They are not always right, but they are right more than they are wrong

Agree with you on the crappy D we had with him but I think some of the reason for that was spending so much to keep the offense together and yes some of the recent signings are better then some of Grigsons previous signings.Hope I am wrong time will tell GO COLTS 

same as last year we did not address our main needs, no impact safety, no monsters on front 7 on defense, no monsters on the o-line, we got past their prime additions on offense and burned our cap so there is nothing left for monsters, nothing left but the draft and some of them work out and some don't, imo a bad free agency for us

The same could be said of Free Agency...some of them work out, some of them don't.  The big difference, however, is that the Free Agents that don't work out burn up a LOT more money than draft picks.

To say that Grigson did not address our main needs is preposterous and completely untrue.  We needed OL help...he signed Herreman.  We needed DL help....he signed Kendall Langord.  We needed pass rush help...he signed Trent Cole.  We needed RB help...he signed Gore.  He signed veteran players for position groups that had no veteran leadership (other than DL because we do have Jones) that, despite what people think, are not automatically at the decline phase...in face, considering the caliber of these players, there's a good chance they won't start to hit the rapid decline until their new Colt contracts are up.

Now, we can let the young guys continue to develop, and phase them in gradually.  IMO, this is the best way to manage the roster.  Every team needs both Solid Role players as well as playmakers...and then also solid depth.  Yeah, we can get established playmakers and hope they continue to play at the same level after receiving their big contract, which isn't always the case.  But this strategy is a lot more expensive and doesn't provide nearly as much cap flexibility.  Or we can use FA to get those solid role players at a moderate contract (with the thought that there is still the chance they could continue to develop into playmakers...which does happen quite regularly) and look for the guys that will develop into playmakers in the draft.

This has been the best FA work by the Colts in many years.   I hope they can add some size to the d-line still in free agency.   At least in the draft.

It is an appeal of his suspension, and the loss of salary resulting. If he argues that we wrongly suspended him and a judge agrees and overturns the suspension and loss of salary, that also takes away our ability to get out from under him freely. 

I'm pretty sure I read on PFT last month that there was some kind of appeal or grievance filed, or coming. 

Man...

That insight tho....

For a team with 40 million plus to spend, we have done it perfectly. We've spent with BOTH eyes on the future. All of these deals are 3 and 4 years. We haven't committed big, long term money in any of these players, so if the moves don't work out, we don't have to be saddled with a cap choking deal for several years into the future. These signings are going to allow us to draft and groom young players for the future, AND pay them when the time comes. 

You wanted an impact safety? We couldn't afford McCourty. Who were we supposed to get? Rahim Moore? Antrel Rolle? Say Da'Norris Searcy. I dare you.

We brought back Mike Adams (Who had a pretty impactful season last year.) Sure, there is some uncertainty at the other safety spot, but we had the same problem last offseason. No one thought Adams was a great addition, and he had his best pro season. Have some faith in Grigson and Pagano. 

We didn't add any of the high end front 7 free agents because they all want/got long term cap heavy deals. We will likely make moves to bolster those spots before the draft. Cheaper guys who we hope outplay their deals.

We haven't fully addressed the right side of our offensive line. Specifically at Tackle. Is Herremens the answer?

We haven't done anything to sure up our run defense behind the line.

We are stuck with a center that has trouble snapping.

We are riding on Adams. We need to address the safety situation in case he doesn't pan out or gets hurt. Last year could have been a fluke. We're "weak" at the other safety position.

These are my only worries. Otherwise great free agency.