Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All FA Concerns/Gripes/Complaints (Mega Merge)

Dark Superman

I never been a huge fan of free agency, unless you have a team that is one or two pieces away from potentially winning it all (The Colts are clearly more than a few pieces away) but, I can understand the excitement of going after big name players and trying to better your team. I grew up in the Polian Era, where the Colts drafted their own and hardly ever used free agency to build their team.

Recently.. I have opened up to Grigson's obsession with making the Colts better via. Trades, Drafts or Free Agency. He's aggressive, and if he thinks someone can help us win now, he will pursue them.

Recently, it's been a little quiet and I know it could mean nothing, and I'm probably right. But for some strange reason I have a gut feeling Grigson is going to secure a bigger name through free agency within the next few days. That name? Your guess is as good as mine. I was thinking someone like [Maclin, Hardy or Adrian Peterson]

I don't really care who we sign, or who we pass up on. I am enjoying the show like the rest of guys and look forward to gossiping with you all over who we sign and draft within the next two months.

Here's to a healthy and successful 2015 season. And hopefully one where we finally overcome the Patriots and host the Lombardi.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he spends big bucks on Peterson or Maclin I'll be surprised but perhaps there's enough spend to address both wants and needs.  I agree with you on the draft and the Polian way, EXCEPT I think Irsay would agree we didn't do enough to get over the hump in Peyton's era.  That's a guess of course. I think this time we plan to do more of both.  

Hardy isn't really a 3-4 guy but who knows how we might use him. I'm sticking to the hope he (RG) knows if we run a 3-4 we need a legit premium NT, to me that's Nata, perhaps a second choice would be an aging Wolfork that plays on running downs.  We need to shore up the pass rush. We need a safety and a Right Guard and lack depth at MLB.  

I guess it's a little lost on me why so many people want to go big at running back and wideout in FA.  We have depth within the receiving core (to include TE's) and we can draft a late round RB.  I also think RB is a good value fill where we can get a low price guy that will get the job done.  Open holes and run through them with competence.  I don't like spending huge on a RB and pray he can find a crease or somehow make something happen.  We pass blocked well at the end of the year but we still don't run block well with the current construct of our OLine.

Every team has many holes, there are no complete teams.  I think the magic to FA is to find the tri fecta of: 

1. Fill a need with impact.

2. Find the right contract value (short term/long term)

3. Find someone who fits your values and culture.

It should be interesting!

I never been a huge fan of free agency, unless you have a team that is one or two pieces away from potentially winning it all (The Colts are clearly more than a few pieces away) but, I can understand the excitement of going after big name players and trying to better your team. I grew up in the Polian Era, where the Colts drafted their own and hardly ever used free agency to build their team.

Recently.. I have opened up to Grigson's obsession with making the Colts better via. Trades, Drafts or Free Agency. He's aggressive, and if he thinks someone can help us win now, he will pursue them.

Recently, it's been a little quiet and I know it could mean nothing, and I'm probably right. But for some strange reason I have a gut feeling Grigson is going to secure a bigger name through free agency within the next few days. That name? Your guess is as good as mine. I was thinking someone like [Maclin, Hardy or Adrian Peterson]

I don't really care who we sign, or who we pass up on. I am enjoying the show like the rest of guys and look forward to gossiping with you all over who we sign and draft within the next two months.

Here's to a healthy and successful 2015 season. And hopefully one where we finally overcome the Patriots and host the Lombardi.

Seattle what where you thinking  :Yikes: you have one of the best RB in football still can not believe it

If he spends big bucks on Peterson or Maclin I'll be surprised but perhaps there's enough spend to address both wants and needs.  I agree with you on the draft and the Polian way, EXCEPT I think Irsay would agree we didn't do enough to get over the hump in Peyton's era.  That's a guess of course. I think this time we plan to do more of both.  

Hardy isn't really a 3-4 guy but who knows how we might use him. I'm sticking to the hope he (RG) knows if we run a 3-4 we need a legit premium NT, to me that's Nata, perhaps a second choice would be an aging Wolfork that plays on running downs.  We need to shore up the pass rush. We need a safety and a Right Guard and lack depth at MLB.  

I guess it's a little lost on me why so many people want to go big at running back and wideout in FA.  We have depth within the receiving core (to include TE's) and we can draft a late round RB.  I also think RB is a good value fill where we can get a low price guy that will get the job done.  Open holes and run through them with competence.  I don't like spending huge on a RB and pray he can find a crease or somehow make something happen.  We pass blocked well at the end of the year but we still don't run block well with the current construct of our OLine.

Every team has many holes, there are no complete teams.  I think the magic to FA is to find the tri fecta of: 

1. Fill a need with impact.

2. Find the right contract value (short term/long term)

3. Find someone who fits your values and culture.

It should be interesting!

I agree, fix the o-line and defense

One thing for sure......

We can't fill all the holes in the draft

We could probably get by with our current OL..... Operative word..... Get by.... But the RG spot is not on this roster

We could probably get by with our current WRs....... Get by

We could probably get by with our current CBs

We could probably get by with our ILBs (if resigned)

We are fine for TE

Our K and P are excellent

But......

We need a safety. .... No immediate starters available in our draft position

We need at least 2 quality DL players...... We probably will NOT get an immediate impact player where we draft

We need at least one OLB who can set the edge as well as provide pass rush

We need at least one more RB

We MIGHT be able to get a quality G where we draft

I would be surprised to see him spend big bucks on the offensive side of the ball (well outside of the line). Luck can raise the game of players he plays with...we don't need to spend huge on playmakers there. We have good leadership already there. I do believe on the defensive side we could use an injection of playmakers...we do have a couple guys like Davis that can make plays for us but I don't see that vocal leader on the defense. I'm looking for us to find a guy like that...kinda why I'm hoping we look at a trade with the 49ers for one of their ILB. They have a lot of money tied up and some nice young guys too. Probably not the popular sentiment on here but thats the kind of move I'd like to see...along with some help on the DL.

By the way its kinda quiet because official free agency hasn't started yet.

Apparently the Colts are going to push the Dolphins hard for Suh. Don't know if I want to pay him $20 a year though.

miami got him its all but offical now.  i think we might have been focusing the attention on getting him, now that hes gone things will pick up again in a hurry

It's quiet because we are losing out on everyone we were interested in or who could help us. We're going to have to settle for a bunch of second and third tier guys. But at least we got Herremans!

Almost none of what you wrote here is true.

There are still lots and lots and lots of players out there who we like and want and will make offers on.

Quit panicking over nothing.....     

There are still lots and lots and lots of players out there who we like and want and will make offers on.

Exactly. It's still early. We can still make trades too..

Never count Grigson out to make a "splash" signing.

Splash is not Ryan's style other then that Trent trade. He is checking the cheap sales rack, while other teams are going for what they need without penny pinching. You wnat talent, then you have to sepnd or overspend sometimes to get it.

It's quiet because we are losing out on everyone we were interested in or who could help us. We're going to have to settle for a bunch of second and third tier guys. But at least we got Herremans!

If Herremans is the only signing to get excited about then what's the point of having all that cap space money to use.

Not to be frank here, but he is kind of right. Maclin was an impact WR that could of helped the Colts. Obviously everyone and their mother wanted Suh who now appears locked into Miami. Cobb is staying with the Packers. The only WR left that is still truly a star-type, is Andre Johnson and he hasn't even been officially released yet. I don't want anymore mediocre, "solid veteran" type WR's that end up producing next to nothing (Avery, Nicks). Players like Hartline and Crabtree strike me as those kind of WR's who would sign here on an overinflated contract and end up doing nothing.

However, if the Colts can sign Terrance Knighton and Haloti once he is released from the Ravens, it won't be a total loss. Bring back Mike Adams as well.

Not to be frank here, but he is kind of right. Maclin was an impact WR that could of helped the Colts. Obviously everyone and their mother wanted Suh who now appears locked into Miami. Cobb is staying with the Packers. The only WR left that is still truly a star-type, is Andre Johnson and he hasn't even been officially released yet. I don't want anymore mediocre, "solid veteran" type WR's that end up producing next to nothing (Avery, Nicks). Players like Hartline and Crabtree strike me as those kind of WR's who would sign here on an overinflated contract and end up doing nothing.

However, if the Colts can sign Terrance Knighton and Haloti once he is released from the Ravens, it won't be a total loss. Bring back Mike Adams as well.

It's day one....   and you've defended the post by noting one player.     ONE PLAYER?!?

HELLO?!?

One player.

There are still plenty of other players.    There have been no shortage of fans here whining and complaining.    It's like complaining about the outcome of a game after the 1st quarter.     There's plenty of time and players.

I saw a story that said Philly offered Maclin $9 Mill per.   And he got $11 Mill per from KC.    At that price,  Maclin is a non-starter for Indy.

It's day one....   and you've defended the post by noting one player.     ONE PLAYER?!?

HELLO?!?

One player.

There are still plenty of other players.    There have been no shortage of fans here whining and complaining.    It's like complaining about the outcome of a game after the 1st quarter.     There's plenty of time and players.

I saw a story that said Philly offered Maclin $9 Mill per.   And he got $11 Mill per from KC.    At that price,  Maclin is a non-starter for Indy.

Um, if you read my post I noted 8 players in total in regards to free agency. Not sure what you are reading.