Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Johnson is a Colt.

Dustin

I'll bet that TY popped the cork on a bottle of Dom when he got the news. DBs around the league now have somebody else to think about. Now think about the defensive nightmare that the Colts present with Fleener, Allen, AJ, TY and Gore, all on the field at the same time with Luck's finger on the trigger. Can't wait to see it!

If we can just get a D... though I do wish we'd let Reggie come back just for the ride. I know it's not possible but man it would be neat seeing him and AJ lined up together

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, yes, it is. They were talking about it at length on JMV's show today.

I think you've seen the numbers now from the Spotrac link that several posters have provided.

Andre's average per year figure of $7m per is 18th overall.

As a media guy, I'd recommend not listening to local media for serious stats and minutia.   Local guys rarely care about that.

Local guys think Big Picture.   "The Colts made another good signing.    They're heading in the right direction"    that type of thing.    But when you hear a local guy talk about statistical analysis then you should be very, very skeptical.    Typically, they're talking our of their rear. 

I'm not talking about Indianapolis guys....   I'm talking about local guys all over the country.   There's rarely enough interest in statistical analysis,  but everyone cares about Big Picture.

The info you want is on the internet....   you just have to know where to look for it.    Ask around here,  there are lots of very stat-savvy posters here who can guide you to the right spot.  

$7 mill per is a very good signing.    I feared it was going to be more.    Really glad it's not.

Big story people are missing to me is, our biggest rival just lot their best cover corner.... How the hell are they gonna deal with both Johnson and Hilton? Both of them are gonna beat 1 on 1 coverage consistently, and you can't double both.

Not to mention Moncrief, Carter, Fleener, and Allen

Big story people are missing to me is, our biggest rival just lot their best cover corner.... How the hell are they gonna deal with both Johnson and Hilton? Both of them are gonna beat 1 on 1 coverage consistently, and you can't double both.

they lost both starting corners

Another Texan fan here. I wont repeat all the great things you probably already know about AJ. But he was for sure a fan favorite in this town for his greatness on and off the field, and I think the off the field AJ is why we like him as much as we do.

A lot of Texans fans like myself have been kind of upset with the Texans organization for a while now, especially the past few for not giving Andre a good QB. Schaub was a good QB for a while, but one of the things that he did regularly that kept AJ from having a ton more TDs and yards was two things; 1) Not leading the receiver. 2) Under throwing the deep ball. Had Schaub thrown it to Andre in stride on any route, especially deep balls, his numbers would be gaudy. That is a big reason why his TD numbers were so down. Another reason was they barely stinkin threw him the ball in the red zone. Who knows why.

All last year and this off season I have been a little ticked at the media for saying Andre is on the decline. I totally disagree. Is he still in his prime, I dont know. Could be. A couple of reasons for his low numbers last year: The emergence of DeAndre Hopkins and the Texans not being agressive in their play calls for AJ like they were before Bill OBrien. I could be wrong, but personally I dont think Obrien had AJ on his favorites list, despite AJs normal high character, since AJ held out. Obrien is a a Bellichek protege as you know and he is a team first guy, all the way. When AJ held out, I think it left a bad taste in his mouth. I could be wrong, but AJ sure did have a lot of underneath screens thrown for him, which by the way is AJs worst option possible because he is not a juke type of guy. He cuts in routes well but never jukes anyone. And in case yall didnt catch it, AJ said Obrien told him a few days ago he would probably only catch around 40 balls next year. They were trying to push him out the door imo (mainly bc his salary).

I know this has been long winded. All to say, we still dont have a QB, unless Mallet surprises big time, so I will be cheering for AJ and him getting a ring next year. I have been looking for all his Colts interviews and videos today and I am really excited for him. Hopefully the league will finally get to see what he can do with a decent QB.

Another Texan fan here. I wont repeat all the great things you probably already know about AJ. But he was for sure a fan favorite in this town for his greatness on and off the field, and I think the off the field AJ is why we like him as much as we do.

A lot of Texans fans like myself have been kind of upset with the Texans organization for a while now, especially the past few for not giving Andre a good QB. Schaub was a good QB for a while, but one of the things that he did regularly that kept AJ from having a ton more TDs and yards was two things; 1) Not leading the receiver. 2) Under throwing the deep ball. Had Schaub thrown it to Andre in stride on any route, especially deep balls, his numbers would be gaudy. That is a big reason why his TD numbers were so down. Another reason was they barely stinkin threw him the ball in the red zone. Who knows why.

All last year and this off season I have been a little ticked at the media for saying Andre is on the decline. I totally disagree. Is he still in his prime, I dont know. Could be. A couple of reasons for his low numbers last year: The emergence of DeAndre Hopkins and the Texans not being agressive in their play calls for AJ like they were before Bill OBrien. I could be wrong, but personally I dont think Obrien had AJ on his favorites list, despite AJs normal high character, since AJ held out. Obrien is a a Bellichek protege as you know and he is a team first guy, all the way. When AJ held out, I think it left a bad taste in his mouth. I could be wrong, but AJ sure did have a lot of underneath screens thrown for him, which by the way is AJs worst option possible because he is not a juke type of guy. He cuts in routes well but never jukes anyone. And in case yall didnt catch it, AJ said Obrien told him a few days ago he would probably only catch around 40 balls next year. They were trying to push him out the door imo (mainly bc his salary).

I know this has been long winded. All to say, we still dont have a QB, unless Mallet surprises big time, so I will be cheering for AJ and him getting a ring next year. I have been looking for all his Colts interviews and videos today and I am really excited for him. Hopefully the league will finally get to see what he can do with a decent QB.

I very much enjoyed reading this analysis.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

All of the Texans fans in this thread have been beyond classy.  Very refreshing to read!

Who needs defense when we have an offense that can score 40+ a game???  J/K

This is excellent!!!

That's my avatar! 

Any way, things are looking real good along with a solid draft. I hope Grigson does some wheeling and dealing to get more picks in the draft.

From what I've seen so far they are starting to look for guys to beef up their pass rush and ability to push the pocket. They've added Jabal Sheppard from Cleveland, they are showing interest in Pot Roast and Nick Fairley.  My guess is the Pats will beef up across the D line and on edge rushers via FA and the Draft.  In addtion to that they will grab some young talent at CB in the draft, FA, or via a trade.  They don't make the kind of moves(letting Revis go and having Browner seek FA) without having an end vision in mind.  They will have a strategy I'm quite sure.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet because I didn't read through the entire thread, but I was thinking about this last night....Andre Johnson is one of the receivers that Vontae has struggled with the most.  Now that he's on our team, maybe Andre will give Vontae some pointers that would help him be better prepared to face Andre-like receivers.  Just might be able to help Vontae, and our other CBs, take their games to the next level.  One can hope anyway :)