Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Colts sign a NT?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more disappointed that the Colts have yet again signed rotational players like Langford and Trent Cole for good money. On defense this team needs starters and difference makers. I don't see Cole or Langford as that.

I just hope we sign Williams, Knighton, or Wilfork before they are all gone. If we don't get one of them, I not feeling too confident about this defense going into next year.

I agree we need to sign at least 1 monster on defense, and we really needed another power rb to try to run up the gut behind this o-line, another trent in the making, get an o-line or we will see tackled behind the line again.

If the Colts don't sign a nose tackle I know they WILL draft one. Seeing where they are drafting from I think they will get a good one. There was only three maybe four DT's worth getting. Suh, Ngata Wilfork or Knighton. If the could not sign any of these, and it is starting to look that way. I prefer they draft one. Imagine how inexpensive drafting one would be compare to signing one of those four guys.

How manny NTs does a team need? It's a position with limited role, mostly on running downs.Do they release Chapman and Hughes if they invest big money in a free agent? There is Kerr too.

I'm not sure NT is what the Colts need. I think they need a very good, young ILB and another safety. The rest I think should be just depth players who play a specific role and play it well. The coaches should make up the difference.

How manny NTs does a team need? It's a position with limited role, mostly on running downs.Do they release Chapman and Hughes if they invest big money in a free agent? There is Kerr too.

I'm not sure NT is what the Colts need. I think they need a very good, young ILB and another safety. The rest I think should be just depth players who play a specific role and play it well. The coaches should make up the difference.

53.  If the Colts had 53 NTs then nobody would be able to run the ball against them.

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 11, 2015 - Quoting Hidden Post
Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 11, 2015 - Quoting Hidden Post

The human race...such a lack of humor.

Really don't find anything funny about poking fun at Irsay for his "issue"

It's tasteless, childish, classless, & rather immature honestly

But to each their own I reckon

:dunno:

:scoregood:

This post....... NT isn't very important in a 3-4 if you're in your Nickel & Dime packages alot like the Colts usually are

Only team that ever dominates us right up the middle is the :flyingelvis: . So by that logic, we're paying Knighton to come in and help us stop one team

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 11, 2015 - Quoting Hidden Post
Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 11, 2015 - Quoting Hidden Post

Really don't find anything funny about poking fun at Irsay for his "issue"

It's tasteless, childish, classless, & rather immature honestly

But to each their own I reckon

:dunno:

I respect your opinion friend. As someone who has to take pain medications for multiple blown and torn discs throughout my back from the neck to the lumbar I'm fully aware of what they can do. So, I am not someone who isn't inexperienced with the pain pills although I personally have never struggled with addiction to them because I take that crap very seriously. I have 3 kids whom I plan and pray to God almighty to be here as long as possible to watch out for them....even when I'm in my 80's...which is nearly 50 years off.

Hey, it seriously was in good fun; but if it offended you I duly note that and apologize. Honest and sincere. I like Irsay, he's a good dude I believe and I don't fault him entirely because I don't know the extent of his life and what he deals with.

good quality players  short time contracts so we don't get burned  see jay cutler the cutty   great day

I too at first was a little dissappointed, but you really need to look at it like mad dog said. If AJ signs in the morning, we have really made the offense much better. Herremans can still play I believe, and we have an incredible amount of depth now in the OL, remember we have Harrison, Johns, Thornton, and our CFA acquisition. All four of those are young, and need to get stronger. That is common in the NFL. On defense, Coles had other suitors, thus we probably had to pay a little more, but he will be a rotational pass rusher who can get after it. May not be Demarcus Ware, but I thought Broncos were silly paying him 10M/yr. in FA last year. Remember, Mathis had 18 1/2 sacks when he was 34. Langford is a big body, who has been good against the run, but has always been behind good players. I think he helps at depth. The one thing I do want is a NT, but as everyone has said, it is day one! Fairley has not signed with anyone, and according to earlier reports, we were in the lead. Not a NT, but he could come here tom. after checking out Cincy and sign. Williams and Pot Roast are still out there.

I think the most important thing people are not focusing on though is what Mad Dog said, and something Prisco from CBS brought up. In the next couple of years, we are going to have to pay some very big contracts. All of these signings help our team, gives us a veteran presence, and does not strap our team down for the next 5 years. These are all designed to be 2-3 year contracts, and each player can help. I for one like younger players, but I hate when everyone thinks because a player is over 30 he is done. The key is if they are over 30, don't tie a lot of money up in them for the long term. They are short term help for the Colts. If we can get a Williams or Pot Roast, then we will be fine, and I am not worried if we don't. We save money, since Pot Roast obviously wants a lot, and I am not sure if he is worth it. Williams would be the one I want.

The last thing to remember is with these signings, and others to come, we can focus on the draft now. We have 8 picks, and probably will have 9 with one comp. pick. This will allow us to focus on defense. We don't have to draft a RB in the first round, but they will think about it if Gurley or Gordon is there. I would not be shocked at all to see us draft Jordan Phillips out of Texas as our future NT. Plus we have players on our roster who are still young, will get stronger, and develop. Chapman, Hughes, are young. Players coming out of college take time to get stronger. Regardless some good DL talent will be there when we pick. I would love Shaq Thompson to drop to us. I think Eric Kendricks will be there, who I would love, or Dawson now in the second. Players always fall. Point is, after reflection, we are still building, and doing it the right way. We are securing our long term talent, and filling holes for the ST, with veterans who can play and help.

I don't think we realize how much better our offense will be if we have Johnson, Hilton, Montcrief and Duron Carter catching passes, along with Fleener, Allen, and Doyle. All our receivers are over 6'2" except Hilton. Carter and Johnson are 6' 5" and we have burners who can stretch the field, and run good routes. We also have a dependable back who can catch and block, and if Bradshaw can stay healthy, WOW. Give it some time. As long as the OL improves this year, we are going to be much better!

I actually like what we have done so far after taking some time and looking realistically at it. Can't wait to see where we go from here!

I feel like they're dropping the ball here and will be run over AGAIN next year because they do not have a dependable NT who can occupy 2 blockers consistently.

Overall, I must say I'm not overly impressed by Grigson's signings again this year, as he has again signed mid tier players other than Andre and Frank.

You do know that Arthur Jones commands a double team right? you do know that more often than not Langford will command a double team. Chapman in rotation also eats up space. i think that the DL will be just fine. 

I haven 't scanned this thread,  so maybe this has already been posted...

But Dan Williams is reportedly signing with Oakland.     And TKnighton is heading to DC for a visit.   It's not clear if he's ready to sign there just yet.

How many freakin' down linemen does Washington need? They've already got Hatcher and Paea, and now they're trying to steal Pot Roast from us? Come on 'Skins, you aren't gonna be winning games this year, let us have him.

You do know that Arthur Jones commands a double team right? you do know that more often than not Langford will command a double team. Chapman in rotation also eats up space. i think that the DL will be just fine. 

Granted, I am wrong on a regular basis, but I really agree this.  With Kerr, Chapman, Hughes, and Jones back there, I don't doubt we have some young NT talent.  I'm more worried about squeezing a little pass rush out of the DL.  Maybe Michael Bennett or Henry Anderson in the draft...

Most definitely. If we want one of the top ones on the market we are going to have to make a cut or two though.

ok, so we will have to slice about 8M to afford a top one, correct?  that would be 10M (current cap space) + 8M (cut or two) = 18M and I think that already includes the allocation for the draft.  Seems like we could grab a decent safety and a DT for that, or a safety and a DE in case Mathis can't return to form.  Not real high on Chapman right now (he got handled many times) so I hope we get something.

ok, so we will have to slice about 8M to afford a top one, correct? that would be 10M (current cap space) + 8M (cut or two) = 18M and I think that already includes the allocation for the draft. Seems like we could grab a decent safety and a DT for that, or a safety and a DE in case Mathis can't return to form. Not real high on Chapman right now (he got handled many times) so I hope we get something.

I would say if we could get to 14 or 15 million we would be safe.

The last thing to remember is with these signings, and others to come, we can focus on the draft now. We have 8 picks, and probably will have 9 with one comp. pick. This will allow us to focus on defense. We don't have to draft a RB in the first round, but they will think about it if Gurley or Gordon is there. I would not be shocked at all to see us draft Jordan Phillips out of Texas as our future NT. Plus we have players on our roster who are still young, will get stronger, and develop. Chapman, Hughes, are young. Players coming out of college take time to get stronger. Regardless some good DL talent will be there when we pick. I would love Shaq Thompson to drop to us. I think Eric Kendricks will be there, who I would love, or Dawson now in the second. Players always fall. Point is, after reflection, we are still building, and doing it the right way. We are securing our long term talent, and filling holes for the ST, with veterans who can play and help.

:eek: To the part I tried to highlight. He might have been an option to be our future NT, but I think you just ruined it by insulting him. He played his college football as an Oklahoma Sooner! Way to ruin our chances! :Yikes:

is it mandatory to verify this is a joke? No? Alright. I'm dead serious then.

He may be older, but he would very well be that run stuffing NT that we need. Always respected #75

Plus, he's from the U.

Exactly. This is easily the best FA class/mindset Grigson has had

He finally gets it, get stop gaps in FA.... now build through the draft

Said in another thread that I think the whoopings we take when we lose have finally set in. Most aggressive I've ever seen this FO

I Think We Can Bolster The DT Position In The Draft, I Really Think We Should Sign Rahim Moore At Saftey. He Is A Playmaker An If We Have A Secondary That Makes Plays that Will Give The Front Seven A Lil More Time To Get There.

Edited by 21isSuperman

In my opinion signing or drafting a DT (with one of our first two picks) is a must for the Colts. Hughes and Chapman aren't starting material and Jones was a disappointment last season. I hope they get Knighton because he would be a huge upgrade and it would allow us to invest a high pick into another position of need to get a guy like Armstead or Kendricks, McKinney...

Said in another thread that I think the whoopings we take when we lose have finally set in. Most aggressive I've ever seen this FO

So, do you think Indy will pursue Wilfork?

What do you mean he finally gets it?   Stop-gaps in FA while building a solid core through the draft.  The only real exceptions were Cherilus and Landry.  The rest have either been signed on short term contracts, or longer term contracts that were structured in a way that they could be gotten out of easily if the players didn't perform up to expectations.  

I think the one who is finally starting to get it is YOU! ;)