Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would the Colts be an annual Playoff team if they were in the AFC North?

ColtsBTM12

Sure. The way we got bent over by the Steelers makes me not so sure.

We got Lucky that A.J. Green didn't play in the Bengals game and we match up pretty well against them. Others not as big as a difference. Would be a great division.

the steelers game was an exception and we were without Vontae. And we beat the Bengals pretty easily without AJ, and we would have beaten them with him.

Not sure if this is relevant, but the Colts have only missed the playoffs twice since 1999. And one of those years we drafted A Luck the next year so I'm calling that a push. But like I said, that may not be relevant. My short answer is yes.

The basis of my cousin's argument was that the only reason the Colts are such consistently a playoff team is because they play in an easy division.

The basis of my cousin's argument was that the only reason the Colts are such consistently a playoff team is because they play in an easy division.

That is a very popular subject in this forum from time to time. I don't buy much into that myself because teams don't have any control over that.

Well from 2002-2010 the AFCS was the strongest division, tied with the NFCE, in the NFL. If you'd like you can try and find my thread about it from two years ago.

Geographically, Baltimore would swap spots with us if we were in that division since they're the furthest south

So, Colts, Steelers, Bengals, & Browns

We'd finish 4-2 in the division with both losses coming from Pittsburgh

Really could argue splitting with the Browns if they had a better QB. Barley beat them this year and that was with Hoyer there

Colts would be fine...the we only make it because of a weak division argument is crap...2 years ago we beat both the Seahawks and Broncos (super bowl teams)...this year we again beat the Broncos to get AFC championship...people say we shouldn't have been there? We'll beat us then, we can only beat whose on our schedule...Pats have consistently had our number, besides them I feel like we could at least split with any team and win many head to heads 2-0

I got into an argument with my cousin over this. The way I see it, if the Bengals have been able to make the playoffs the last 4 years in that division, then the Colts would too. Thoughts?

We've beaten the Ravens both times we have faced them in the Pagano era. We have not lost to Cincy. We have not lost to Cleveland.  Pittsburgh beat up on us pretty good, but we were still in that game until about 5-6 minutes remaining in the 4th.  We played very poor that game and were without Vontae and we still had a chance. I think Vontae's absence really hurt us that game -- Ben threw for 522 yards and 6 TDs.  Vontae didn't allow a single TD all year -- I'd like to think his presence could have prevented at least one of A. Brown or M. Bryant TDs (they both had 2).

I'd like to think the past 2 years we would sweep Cincy, sweep Cleveland, split with Pitt, and split or sweep Baltimore.

That division has been a dogfight the past few years, where it comes down to the last 2-3 weeks, but I'm pretty confident we'd be in it right until the end.

It is funny how the NFL works -- Baltimore very nearly knocked NE off in the playoffs, and I think we match up well with them, and could have potentially beaten them.  I know Pagano has said something about turning us into an AFC N smashmouth team when he took over (which makes sense with his experience in Baltimore).  It would sure be nice if we could continue to build that way and figure a way to beat the Pats on top of it. 

IMO, the Texans and Titans are still a QB away from being real threats to de-throne us in the AFC S, and the Jags are quite a bit away.  The teams (at least for the next 2-3 years) we need to get by in the playoffs are going to be the AFC N, the Pats, potentially Buffalo, and potentially Denver (though I think they are on the decline and nobody else in the AFC W really scares me, except maybe the Chargers a tiny bit).

Yes, INDY still would be because Andy Dalton sucks, Cleveland has no QB, Luck can handle Suggs pass rush, & the Steelers secondary does not scare me at all. 

Just try not to let Antonio Brown beat you deep & contain your edges when Le'Veon Bell runs with the ball. I like Mike Tomlin, but without DC Dick LeBeau at 3 Rivers Stadium anymore, the Steel Curtain will suffer somewhat at least initially IMO. 

Okay, resigning his position then I guess...

http://deadspin.com/dick-lebeau-leaving-steelers-says-hes-resigning-not-r-1678740131

I think we would split with the steelers, sweep the bengals and sweep/ split the ravens every year if we were in that division.

Actually that's a pretty accurate annual assessment if INDY switched divisions bestQBever. If Cincinnati ever got a good QB, they'd do some real damage in the post season with their quality backs & ability to stop the run. 

If I could, I'd dump the Titans from the AFC South & replace them with Ravens to toughen INDY up for our November playoff push. I have a ton of respect for Baltimore & John Harbaugh's football program. 

Not to be a downer but why argue over something that is not reality?

He started it. Basically attacked the Colts and said that they were a soft team and that if they played in the North they wouldn't be a regular playoff team. I disagree, because like I said, if Andy Dalton can annually make the playoffs in that division, then I love Andrew Luck's chances.

My answer is yes. The Steelers secondary is one of the worst and if we beef up our defense, we will beat them next year. We already beat the Ravens and the Bengals. Andy Dalton is awful and inconsistent and one could even argue that Joe Flacco is at times as well. And when it comes to the Browns... Well, they are always a hot mess. So I say, yes. Definitely.

the steelers game was an exception and we were without Vontae. And we beat the Bengals pretty easily without AJ, and we would have beaten them with him.

Thank you for saying that Nobody because it ticked me off when analysts kept inferring that we would have lost to the Bengals if AJ was healthy. I don't believe that for 1 second either because of Dalton's inconsistency as games progress not WR Green's athletic talent. 

Thank you for saying that Nobody because it ticked me off when analysts kept inferring that we would have lost to the Bengals if AJ was healthy. I don't believe that for 1 second either because of Dalton's inconsistency as games progress not WR Green's athletic talent. 

I agree with you. Green would not have made that big of an impact. Bengals are just an inconsistent team lead by a lousy QB.

He started it. Basically attacked the Colts and said that they were a soft team and that if they played in the North they wouldn't be a regular playoff team. I disagree, because like I said, if Andy Dalton can annually make the playoffs in that division, then I love Andrew Luck's chances.

But why argue over a hypothetical question?

The Jags used to be a tough team to play, as were the Titans and Texans.  Indy still overcame.   

If we were in the NFC North, I think we would be back and forth with Pittsburgh and Cincy, kind of like we were with the three named above in the years when they were formidable opponents.  

Geographically, Baltimore would swap spots with us if we were in that division since they're the furthest south

So, Colts, Steelers, Bengals, & Browns

We'd finish 4-2 in the division with both losses coming from Pittsburgh

Really could argue splitting with the Browns if they had a better QB. Barley beat them this year and that was with Hoyer there

Cincinnati is farther south than Baltimore

There's no question we play in a pathetic division and have benefited from that for over a decade. If we had been in the North all these years we wouldn't have made the playoffs as many times as we did.

But, we may would have a better team. You build to beat your division first. Not mug effort has to be put into beating the AFC South teams

ALL 4 of the north teams have solid defenses and pretty good running games

Colts have neither of those