Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pernell Mcphee FA (Mega Merge)

Agreed werner is still only 24 but still worries me that he has mathis mentoring him and still no signs of life...

Completely agree. We need a proven pass rusher who leads by example while we keep grooming Newsome to be the rush LB behind Mathis. In the meantime, Werner will be learning from Hali how to improve on his pass rush from the SSLB position.

I hope I'm wrong about Werner, but I just see him as being our main backup OLB for the future. He's good against the run, and sets the edge well, but I don't ever see him consistently putting pressure on the QB. 4-5 sacks per IMO. I'm extremely high on Newsome though. I think he can consistently put up big sack numbers year after year. I expect him to be a force next season. I will say though, Werner looked like he was breaking out at the beginning of the year. Then he just disappeared.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I'm wrong about Werner, but I just see him as being our main backup OLB for the future. He's good against the run, and sets the edge well, but I don't ever see him consistently putting pressure on the QB. 4-5 sacks per IMO. I'm extremely high on Newsome though. I think he can consistently put up big sack numbers year after year. I expect him to be a force next season. I will say though, Werner looked like he was breaking out at the beginning of the year. Then he just disappeared.

he was fighting injuries last season

I want Hali also, and he will come at a decent price. Every article I have read has McPhee being able to get at least 8M/yr. Some are saying possibly 10M/yr. He may well get it considering certain teams have so much cap space, and in the case of teams like the Raiders, they are way behind on spending the 89% level you must spend of your cap space between 2013-17 seasons. I don't want a player who has played so few downs, and has been helped by a very good defense behind him. Remember, look at the system players are in and who they play with, which really can help players.

Look at Jerry Hughes. Does anyone think he would have had 20 sacks the past two years without the defensive line Buffalo has. You can only double team so many players. Someone is going to pay him, possibly Atlanta, and with there DL, they are going to be very sorry I believe.

^^^

Agreed 100%. Colts won the Hughes-Shepherd trade. Low risk, high reward.

Hughes is a bit player and average starter who is the product of the best defensive line in the league.

Even if the second part of your comment was true, we still lost the trade.

I want Hali also, and he will come at a decent price. Every article I have read has McPhee being able to get at least 8M/yr. Some are saying possibly 10M/yr. He may well get it considering certain teams have so much cap space, and in the case of teams like the Raiders, they are way behind on spending the 89% level you must spend of your cap space between 2013-17 seasons. I don't want a player who has played so few downs, and has been helped by a very good defense behind him. Remember, look at the system players are in and who they play with, which really can help players.

Look at Jerry Hughes. Does anyone think he would have had 20 sacks the past two years without the defensive line Buffalo has. You can only double team so many players. Someone is going to pay him, possibly Atlanta, and with there DL, they are going to be very sorry I believe.

I disagree with you on Hughes, I think he's a good player, just didn't get his fair shake here. I do agree mostly with what you say about McPhee. They have a good system in B-More, and he fits in well there. I just don't see him being worth nearly what he'll probably get this offseason, and I especially don't see him being a key cog in anybody's defense. You pay somebody $10M a year, they damn well better be top 10 at their position. 

Who are all these ex-Ravens that we're massively overpaying?

Off the top of my head,  I can think of Art Jones,  and Cory Redding

And.......    who else?

By the way,  the ultimate decision on who to sign and especially what we pay them belongs to.....   Grigson.

Just another reason for a certain poster to take shots at Pagano for absolutely no reason.

Isnt he an OLB ? or has he switched positions? 

He is an OLB, he used to rotate at backup DE in 2012, if I remember right, but lately it has been behind Suggs and Dumervil.

After giving a back up player like RJF a starter contract who I think benefited from the interior play of the 49ers, it does make me leery if McPhee will not produce as a starter in a starter role because he won't get the same help with the DL interior like he does with the Ravens.

He is an OLB, he used to rotate at backup DE in 2012, if I remember right, but lately it has been behind Suggs and Dumervil.

After giving a back up player like RJF a starter contract who I think benefited from the interior play of the 49ers, it does make me leery if McPhee will not produce as a starter in a starter role because he won't get the same help with the DL interior like he does with the Ravens.

You make a pretty valid point there!

^^^

Agreed 100%. Colts won the Hughes-Shepherd trade. Low risk, high reward.

Hughes is a bit player and average starter who is the product of the best defensive line in the league.

A guy who posts 10 sacks is a bit player while Shepherd is not on the Colts.

This is 180 degrees FALSE.

There's not an ounce of truth in that.

A guy who posts 10 sacks is a bit player while Shepherd is not on the Colts.

This is 180 degrees FALSE.

There's not an ounce of truth in that.

My bet is that next year he goes to a team ala the Falcons without the D-Line that he currently is with...and proceeds to post 5-6 sacks while making 6-8 million. If he stayed on the Colts, he would be no better than Werner is doing now.

He posted 41 tackles and 4 sacks in 2012, when Freeney was out for a large chuck of the season.

6671.jpg

NFL sources tell the Baltimore Sun that free agent OLB Pernell McPhee is expected to command $8-$10M per season.

The Sun calls McPhee a "luxury item the Ravens probably can't afford to retain," much like the Arthur Jones, Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe situations of years past. Baltimore, up against the cap, will be fine to roll with Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil and Courtney Upshaw on the edge. McPhee won't come cheap to pass-rush needy teams, but he's just 26 years old and has plenty of tread left on his tires after serving as a part-timer throughout his Ravens career. He was PFF's No. 2 3-4 OLB last season, behind only Justin Houston.

Who are all these ex-Ravens that we're massively overpaying?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Art Jones, and Cory Redding

And....... who else?

By the way, the ultimate decision on who to sign and especially what we pay them belongs to..... Grigson.

and we didn't even over pay for them anyway so idk what that guy is talking about lol

and we didn't even over pay for them anyway so idk what that guy is talking about lol

Honestly,  I don't think we over paid for either...  especially Redding, whose deal was for less than $4 Mill per year.

Jones only looks overpaid because of his bad ankle injury.    When healthy,  he can play...

My bet is that next year he goes to a team ala the Falcons without the D-Line that he currently is with...and proceeds to post 5-6 sacks while making 6-8 million. If he stayed on the Colts, he would be no better than Werner is doing now.

He posted 41 tackles and 4 sacks in 2012, when Freeney was out for a large chuck of the season.

Even if you believe he's a product of being on a very good line,  he's still got to deliver.

So,  by your theory,  if we trade Werner to Buffalo he'd step right in for Hughes and do just as good and record 10 sacks.

I don't think I'm buying that argument.

So...why do we only sign Ravens and Browns players?

Just off the top of my head...

Primary free agents signings:

Hakeem Nicks -- Giants

Art Jones -- Ravens

Phil Costa -- Cowboys

D'Qwell Jackson -- Browns

Mike Adams -- Browns

RJF -- Niners

Walden -- Packers

Toler -- Cardinals

Landry -- Jets

Thomas -- Patriots

Cherilus -- Lions

Bradshaw -- Giants

DHB -- Raiders

Redding -- Ravens

Zbikowski -- Ravens

Satele -- Raiders

McGlynn -- Eagles

McKinney -- Ravens

Butler -- Patriots

Trades: 

Richardson -- Browns

Davis -- Dolphins

Sheppard -- Bills

The Colts DO NOT only sign Ravens and Browns. Why does this myth exist and persist? There isn't even a lot of ex-Ravens and ex-Browns to talk about. There are dozens of other acquisitions in the last three years, but none of them are notable ex-Browns or ex-Ravens. That's 7 out of however many.

Honestly, I don't think we over paid for either... especially Redding, whose deal was for less than $4 Mill per year.

Jones only looks overpaid because of his bad ankle injury. When healthy, he can play...

yeah I love having Jones hope he stays healthy next year with no problems cause he is awesome

yeah I love having Jones hope he stays healthy next year with no problems cause he is awesome

I saw a graphic at some point during our playoff run that showed that when Jones was playing our run defense was dramatically better.    

Opponents run per carry I think was over 1 full yard LESS with Jones on the field than without.

I'm just not sure the guy was ever healthy or ever really in very good shape.

I'd like to see him lose some tonnage and max out at no more than 325, if not less.   Then, I think he'd be a force.

I hope Grigs doesn't try to break the bank if they're looking at McPhee he is a good rotational player at best with great talent around him imo. I say only get McPhee if he gives us the ChuckStrong discount which is unlikely so i will pass on him and look at other proven Olb in free agency and some difference makers in the draft

Just off the top of my head...

Primary free agents signings:

Hakeem Nicks -- Giants

Art Jones -- Ravens

Phil Costa -- Cowboys

D'Qwell Jackson -- Browns

Mike Adams -- Browns

RJF -- Niners

Walden -- Packers

Toler -- Cardinals

Landry -- Jets

Thomas -- Patriots

Cherilus -- Lions

Bradshaw -- Giants

DHB -- Raiders

Redding -- Ravens

Zbikowski -- Ravens

Satele -- Raiders

McGlynn -- Eagles

McKinney -- Ravens

Butler -- Patriots

Trades:

Richardson -- Browns

Davis -- Dolphins

Sheppard -- Bills

The Colts DO NOT only sign Ravens and Browns. Why does this myth exist and persist? There isn't even a lot of ex-Ravens and ex-Browns to talk about. There are dozens of other acquisitions in the last three years, but none of them are notable ex-Browns or ex-Ravens. That's 7 out of however many.

Cribbs.