Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pernell Mcphee FA (Mega Merge)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bet is that next year he goes to a team ala the Falcons without the D-Line that he currently is with...and proceeds to post 5-6 sacks while making 6-8 million. If he stayed on the Colts, he would be no better than Werner is doing now.

He posted 41 tackles and 4 sacks in 2012, when Freeney was out for a large chuck of the season.

He and Freeney both had right at 800 snaps that season. Freeney had 5 sacks and 12 tackles.  So over $1M per tackle, or $2.8M per sack.

I saw a graphic at some point during our playoff run that showed that when Jones was playing our run defense was dramatically better.    

Opponents run per carry I think was over 1 full yard LESS with Jones on the field than without.

I'm just not sure the guy was ever healthy or ever really in very good shape.

I'd like to see him lose some tonnage and max out at no more than 325, if not less.   Then, I think he'd be a force.

That definitely was a stat from his last season with the RAVENS.

And weren't we also supposed to be the front runners for Paul Kruger because he played for Pags at Baltimore?

I keep looking up and down our roster and I don't see a Kruger anywhere.....

The only way McPhee becomes a Colt is if his price is reasonable.     If he stays high,  I believe we'll pass.

Report: Colts Likely to Pursue Pernell McPhee

...According to a report from CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the Colts "will likely be very involved" in pursuing Ravens defensive lineman Pernell McPhee...

...Ravens defensive lineman Pernell McPhee, a rotational guy in Baltimore who rarely started, is going to hit it big. I expect he can reach $10M a year -- the Colts will likely be very involved -- and will top a class of pass rushers that has some questions. Jerry Hughes might hit $9M a year, with guys like Brandon Graham and Jason Worilds possibly coming in around the $7.5M range. It's certain McPhee is gone -- the Ravens wish him best of luck and are happy for the young man who is about to secure life-changing wealth, and at this point I'd expect everyone on this list to be playing elsewhere next season...

Please GOD NO!!!!!! He is basically a little better version of Erik Walden. The only way I am okay with this is if we sign him for 5 mil or less per year, and immediately cut Walden after. I don't see McPhee being that great pass rusher we need. Just another big bodied run stopper at SSLB.

Please GOD NO!!!!!! He is basically a little better version of Erik Walden. The only way I am okay with this is if we sign him for 5 mil or less per year, and immediately cut Walden after. I don't see McPhee being that great pass rusher we need. Just another big bodied run stopper at SSLB.

You obviously know nothing about McPhee. Your hot takes are evidence enough.

Mcphee can play Defensive End.  He can take over for Redding,  he doesn't have to replace Walden.

They can be on the field at the same time, which is great with his pass rush ability.  The ends that we have now can barely create any pass rush. Plus he can play the run.

Jerry Hughes has never seen ONE double team in his career...    he better stay in Buffalo where he will continue NOT seeing any double teams...       That DL is really, REALLY good.   9m per is STUD money...   and I have seen Jerry enough to know he is not a STUD.    At least he finally decided to hit the weight room...       

Indy will sign Hardy...           Book it...   I want ballers not choir boys.. 

Report: Colts Likely to Pursue Pernell McPhee

...According to a report from CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the Colts "will likely be very involved" in pursuing Ravens defensive lineman Pernell McPhee...

...Ravens defensive lineman Pernell McPhee, a rotational guy in Baltimore who rarely started, is going to hit it big. I expect he can reach $10M a year -- the Colts will likely be very involved -- and will top a class of pass rushers that has some questions. Jerry Hughes might hit $9M a year, with guys like Brandon Graham and Jason Worilds possibly coming in around the $7.5M range. It's certain McPhee is gone -- the Ravens wish him best of luck and are happy for the young man who is about to secure life-changing wealth, and at this point I'd expect everyone on this list to be playing elsewhere next season...

Jerry Hughes has never seen ONE double team in his career...    he better stay in Buffalo where he will continue NOT seeing any double teams...       That DL is really, REALLY good.   9m per is STUD money...   and I have seen Jerry enough to know he is not a STUD.    At least he finally decided to hit the weight room...       

Indy will sign Hardy...           Book it...   I want ballers not choir boys..

I dunno.. Hughes got double teamed by Freeney and Matthis when he was here.

Keep in mind, media analysts thought we were "expected" to sign Paul Kruger and Cliff Avril. Both didn't happen. 

Indy still had Freeney and Mathis on the roster then...     I guarantee if hindsight were ...          Grigs would have ponied up for ate least one of them.  

Mcphee can play Defensive End.  He can take over for Redding,  he doesn't have to replace Walden.

They can be on the field at the same time, which is great with his pass rush ability.  The ends that we have now can barely create any pass rush. Plus he can play the run.

Indy's problem is they don't have that ONE guy who demands a lot of attention.     Mathis?   Can't count on him.   I see indy swinging for the fences for a pass rusher and it won't be McPhee...  

One constant double team totally changes everything along the DL...     Indy needs a playmaker so badly. 

HARDY   and he could come relatively cheap?   Maybe?   Bring in a Hardy type and hope Mathis comes back near his potential...    Indy is in business then.

He had EVERY opportunity to make it here in INDY..       Heck he could not stick to the special teams unit.      He was just bad here.

Buffalo has a lot of studs on that DL.        Darius and Williams are monsters...        Jerry would be a fool to leave that situation.  And get exposed for the average player he is.     Heck the guy we traded for him played well in Buffalo....       not here.

I dunno.. Hughes got double teamed by Freeney and Matthis when he was here.

He had EVERY opportunity to make it here in INDY..       Heck he could not stick to the special teams unit.      He was just bad here.

Buffalo has a lot of studs on that DL.        Darius and Williams are monsters...        Jerry would be a fool to leave that situation.  And get exposed for the average player he is.     Heck the guy we traded for him played well in Buffalo....       not here.

I don't think Hughes was ever going to work out as a Colt, there was something going on in the backgrbd for sure tha carried through even with a new FO.

He's not getting cut... 

H Ngoti (sp)  has a REALLY good chance at getting cut IF he refuses a pay cut or restructure...    And I would pay him top dollar.

Please no. I don't think he'll be the same beast next season playing full time. I want Tambi Hali if and when he's cut.

He's not getting cut... 

H Ngoti (sp)  has a REALLY good chance at getting cut IF he refuses a pay cut or restructure...    And I would pay him top dollar.

You don't think Hali will be cut? I think KC has been planning to cut him since last year when they drafted Dee Ford. They have to pay Houston and also fill several other holes. I think Hali will definitely be cut unless he takes a pay cut. DeVito will probably be cut too. He's another guy we should target IMO. I don't see Ngata being released myself. I seen where they offered him a pretty good amount of cash.

That definitely was a stat from his last season with the RAVENS.

Turns out I was wrong AND right.

Where I was wrong was this:   I didn't see the graphic on TV.     I saw it on ESPN.com.    Information from the Colts.

Where I was right was this:    What I said originally.   The Colts defense WITH Jones was much better against the run than it was WITHOUT him.

This has nothing to do with Jones' years with the Ravens.

Here's the story with the easy to read graphic:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/10797/colts-snap-count-analysis-defensive-line

In our system he doesn't seem big enough to be a DE. He'd be smaller than RJF and he had trouble being a force in the run game. Redding is 310 pounds and McPhee is 280.

i don't want to overpay for another ok backup player we need game changers

Absolutely right on!

I am a big Grigson fan but if he pays big $$$ for this guy his job as Colts GM needs to be seriously questioned.

Grigson needs to break his terrible habit of signing 5-7 mediocre FAs to fill holes...they all look great at this time of year but they show their true under-performing selves by the middle of the season...then we are stuck with them.

Please Grigson, just get us 2 or 3 IMPACT players, QUALITY NOT QUANTITY...and fill in all the other holes with draftees, UDFAs and anybody you can find CHEAP.

Absolutely right on!

I am a big Grigson fan but if he pays big $$$ for this guy his job as Colts GM needs to be seriously questioned.

Grigson needs to break his terrible habit of signing 5-7 mediocre FAs to fill holes...they all look great at this time of year but they show their true under-performing selves by the middle of the season...then we are stuck with them.

Please Grigson, just get us 2 or 3 IMPACT players, QUALITY NOT QUANTITY...and fill in all the other holes with draftees, UDFAs and anybody you can find CHEAP.

when i saw the report we were interested in him and were gonna make a real run at him and that he could command 10 million a year i couldnt help but laugh! If we actually do that ill be so disappointed.  

We run the same system as the Ravens run so.....

we don't have a 4 front we have a 3. He plays the Olb in either system, and I'm not sure who he rotated with. Suggs plays the bull, which is what Mathis plays , or Werner this year. The Bull in a 3-4 usually plays with his hand on the dirt in pass rush situations. So no he cannot play end in our front if he's under 290, and 290 is pushing it. The only way he plays around 290 is if he's jj watt.