Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pernell Mcphee FA (Mega Merge)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be in the minority here, but I don't want him, unless we plan to put him at DE full time. I know he was an absolute monster last season, but I don't see him being that game wrecking, double digit sack beast year after year that we need. Now, I think he'd be awesome to play DE full time. He played there some last season, and he's 280 plus, country strong, and is very good against the run.

No one should compare him to Kruger or Ellerbe. This guy is the real deal.

No, he and Kruger are different type players, but actually I'd rather have Kruger. He had 11 sacks, and 4 FF's last season. I don't think McPhee can consistently put up big sack numbers. I've never heard anyone compare him to Ellerbe, Ellerbe's an ILB.

No, he and Kruger are different type players, but actually I'd rather have Kruger. He had 11 sacks, and 4 FF's last season. I don't think McPhee can consistently put up big sack numbers. I've never heard anyone compare him to Ellerbe, Ellerbe's an ILB.

I didn't mean compare them as players. I meant compare them as underachieving after they leave Baltimore. I fully expect Ellerbe to put up big numbers. He consistently got pressure this season even when he didn't get sacks.

No thanks. 24 tackles, and 7.5 sacks and we would be paying him 7-8 mil per year? Not worth it. Newsome had about the same stats and was a rookie.

If we're going for another pass rusher, how about a more proven player who is perfect for playing the SSLB role that Walden currently plays. Tamba Hali would be a much smarter signing and would cost less due to his age of 31. Hali is much more proven than McPhee.

We could then cut Walden and have Werner learn and split time from Hali while Mathis and Newsome split time at the rush LB position.

I expect him to be signed. Grigson said enough to a STAR reporter to allow the reporter to write about the Colts making an impact in free agency and getting more physical in the trenches.

That's GM speak for saying the colts will be active in the early part of free agency and will be targeting linemen, IMO.

I expect McPhee to be signed, and probably an Olineman based on Grigs' statements. Also, Mathis appears to be having issues with recovery so the Colts need a proven edge player and can't solely rely upon the draft to find it.

Tamba

No thanks. 24 tackles, and 7.5 sacks and we would be paying him 7-8 mil per year? Not worth it. Newsome had about the same stats and was a rookie.

If we're going for another pass rusher, how about a more proven player who is perfect for playing the SSLB role that Walden currently plays. Tamba Hali would be a much smarter signing and would cost less due to his age of 31. Hali is much more proven than McPhee.

We could then cut Walden and have Werner learn and split time from Hali while Mathis and Newsome split time at the rush LB position.

I agree, and I want Hali too. Just a matter of time until he's cut IMO. Then if Mathis did come back healthy, we'd be loaded with edge rushers, but even if he didn't, Hali and Newsome would be fine as both are capable of double digit sacks.

Yes. Sack numbers are overrated. Disruption is production and McPhee gets a lot.

And...some of those high sack total guys are kind of one trick ponies. I think McPhee seems like a more well rounded player than others.

But $6 to $7 mill per year seems more appropriate than 9, and I don't know how enthusiastic I'd be if he were signed for the 9 mil per year.

as long as we don't give him a landry type deal (by that I mean way overpay) then bring him in. Grigson has been very smart with the cap, we need to stay that way..

Side question, just out of curiosity, what happens if a team has 30 million left under the cap by season end, could they roll all of that over and have say 60 million to spend the following year?

I would love to have him. He is a tweener that he will have to play behind Redding or Arthur Jones but for limited downs, I would not shell out $6 mil. per year, maybe $4-5 range tops.

hope we're not thinking of resigning redding, yea he had a good year, but we need a 5 tech that can play well against both the pass and run

Please, no more massive overpaying ex-Ravens coveted by Coach Chuck.

Somebody slap Coach (and I use the term loosely) Chuck on the side of the head and tell him we don't get all our FAs from Baltimore.

Who are all these ex-Ravens that we're massively overpaying?

Off the top of my head,  I can think of Art Jones,  and Cory Redding

And.......    who else?

By the way,  the ultimate decision on who to sign and especially what we pay them belongs to.....   Grigson.

If I want someone at $6-7 mil. per year, I'd rather have Jared Odrick, who has experience playing 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT and has a little more muscle than McPhee. 

We can then let go of Cory Redding, and have an instant starter over McPhee who benefits playing with Suggs, Dumervil and Ngata, IMO. Odrick was a top 20 defensive tackle last year and disrupts just as well without the same quality of help McPhee gets from other teammates on  the DL.

Chuck seems to like him...........

Chuckles never met an ex-Raven he didn't want....Chuckles has blinders on when it comes to these guys...he is probably even trying to swing a deal for the Ravens water boy.

But if it keeps us from reaching for another 3rd round D player in the 1st, then let's sign McPhee instead.

Wouldn't mind getting McPhee only for the right price he hasnt proven anything but to be a good rotational player with great talent around him. I think he could be an upgrade over Walden but i wouldn't put all my eggs in 1 basket like they did with Walden and RJF i mean dont get me wrong they are a good rotational players. I would rather go get a PROVEN STUD such as Hardy or Hali. JPP and Orakpo are injury prone but have proven ability too but if it was up to me i would go Hardy or Hali 1st in free agency and draft another developmental olb for ex: Newsome to learn from vet's and get stronger.

I've said this in a couple other threads, but I don't think signing McPhee would be a good idea. Yeah, he was a beast last season, but I don't see him being that game wrecking, 12plus sack beast, year after year personally. And that's what we need. We need a freak at OLB. I kind of hope we trade up for Beasley. If he can turn into a pro bowl type, 15 sack OLB like I think he will, it's definitely worth it. 

When Tamba Hali is cut, we need to go after him hard btw.

Completely agree. We need a proven pass rusher who leads by example while we keep grooming Newsome to be the rush LB behind Mathis. In the meantime, Werner will be learning from Hali how to improve on his pass rush from the SSLB position.

Completely agree. We need a proven pass rusher who leads by example while we keep grooming Newsome to be the rush LB behind Mathis. In the meantime, Werner will be learning from Hali how to improve on his pass rush from the SSLB position.

Agreed werner is still only 24 but still worries me that he has mathis mentoring him and still no signs of life...