Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cribbs play/ Mike Carey (merge)

fatboy

So it was evident his knee was down hence the reversal. What was was the on air official trying to sell? I honestly had no idea what he was trying to say.

Mike carey has constantly tried to sell stuff the other way against the Colts multiple times. There's a reason he's no longer a ref.

The difference between the Cribbs play and Bryant play is simple: Josh had control of the ball, knee went down, he still had control as the knee went down, hence down by contact. Dez was never down, he dove with the ball, before his body ever touched down the ball hit the ground and rolled. He was never down by contact.

Mike carey has constantly tried to sell stuff the other way against the Colts multiple times. There's a reason he's no longer a ref.

I kind of enjoy when they go to him, and he gets the call wrong.

He's wrong about 50%, which is consistent with the refs on the field.

It's not just against the Colts, but yeah, it seems like he's been wrong in that role way more often than he's been right. I think he's a wannabe. I much prefer Mike Pereira.

The difference between the Cribbs play and Bryant play is simple: Josh had control of the ball, knee went down, he still had control as the knee went down, hence down by contact. Dez was never down, he dove with the ball, before his body ever touched down the ball hit the ground and rolled. He was never down by contact.

Exactly, I don't know what people don't understand.  It's not really controversial.

Someone posted that if he called for a fair catch, we would have gotten a flag to our benefit for interference or something? Not sure how accurate that is

The refs determined the kicking player team player was pushed into Cribbs. That's my understanding of that at least.

So it was evident his knee was down hence the reversal. What was was the on air official trying to sell? I honestly had no idea what he was trying to say.II  h

I have yet to agree with Mike Carey on anything. Every time he makes an argument for a call, the opposite happens…Play was obvious to me…Cribbs knee and entire body are on the ground and touched by a defender before the ball comes out. Oh, but yeah, ok that's a fumble…Right

I guess I do not know the rule well enough - I thought the defender had to give the punt receiver an opportunity to catch the ball before they were hit?   Seems like two times today that the very split second that Cribs contacts the ball he was getting lit up .... the second time I did not think the colts blocked the defender into him - sure glad it worked out for us.

So it was evident his knee was down hence the reversal. What was was the on air official trying to sell? I honestly had no idea what he was trying to say.

Whatever Mike Carey calls it you know the opposite is true, and I don't think he has made one correct call in the time he has been on tv. Glad he isn't a referee anymore. 

It's not just against the Colts, but yeah, it seems like he's been wrong in that role way more often than he's been right. I think he's a wannabe. I much prefer Mike Pereira.

That's why he now works for CBS and not the NFL. Guy is a joke. 

Personally, I am not impressed with Cribbs. He's very obviously over the hill, and he seems reckless. 

That's why he now works for CBS and not the NFL. Guy is a joke. 

Personally, I am not impressed with Cribbs. He's very obviously over the hill, and he seems reckless. 

I don't think he's over the hill. I think our blocking sucks. Josh Gordy gets beat often on punts, and we don't get set up quickly enough on kickoffs. Cribbs isn't as dynamic as he used to be, but he's shown on multiple occasions that he can find a crease and run past everyone. 

But I do agree, he plays on the edge too much for my liking. 

Dean Blandino cleared that up with a rule that has been on the books forever, and that mental midget Mike Carrey completed missed it when he gave his stunted opinion.

The ground cannot cause the fumble. 

Done. Shut up Mike Carrey, you suck, hard. 

About Cribbs; Yes, he should learn to take less risks and fair catch, but there was one return he could've had where we had a 3 on 1 blocking advantage just in front of Cribbs, and somehow the Denver player got by them and hit Cribbs (not on the fumble play, a different one).

So yeah, Mike Carrey......the ground cannot cause the fumble. If I were CBS, I would reevaluate the merits of having an ex-ref contradicting the rule book every damn week on air. 

I don't think he's over the hill. I think our blocking sucks. Josh Gordy gets beat often on punts, and we don't get set up quickly enough on kickoffs. Cribbs isn't as dynamic as he used to be, but he's shown on multiple occasions that he can find a crease and run past everyone. 

But I do agree, he plays on the edge too much for my liking. 

Yeah, thats where I miss Purifoy.  I thought he did a good job blocking the gunners, too bad he could not make better decisions.

Mike Carey is so clueless it shocks and scares me that he was a head ref in the league in the first place and that he lasted as long as he did. I can't count how many times he's been asked about a play over this season and been so sure about something only for the Refs to rule it differently (Carey being in the wrong every time I can recall).

His explanation on this play was that it's the same rule as completing the process of a catch so Cribbs didn't complete the process of a catch so... by extrapolation, it should have been an incomplete catch according to Carey. It was pretty hilarious.

NFL Network asked the Dean Blandino after the game about the play and he confirmed the right call was made and blew Mike Carey's explanation off.

Just watched the "fumble" again. Just like the other return prospect Cribbs had that I eluded to above, I think Cribbs biggest mistake here was trusting that our guys would block for him, and they did not. On the fumble, we had a 2 on 1 advantage against the Broncos gunner, and he got through. Just like the other one, we had a 3 on 1 there. Josh Gordy was a culprit in both, didn't notice who the other offenders were. 

Dean Blandino cleared that up with a rule that has been on the books forever, and that mental midget Mike Carrey completed missed it when he gave his stunted opinion.

The ground cannot cause the fumble. 

Done. Shut up Mike Carrey, you suck, hard. 

About Cribbs; Yes, he should learn to take less risks and fair catch, but there was one return he could've had where we had a 3 on 1 blocking advantage just in front of Cribbs, and somehow the Denver player got by them and hit Cribbs (not on the fumble play, a different one).

So yeah, Mike Carrey......the ground cannot cause the fumble. If I were CBS, I would reevaluate the merits of having an ex-ref contradicting the rule book every damn week on air. 

Yeah, ole Mike was trying to equate Cribbs with a WR who needs to make a football move.  His explanation reminded me of someone at a Super Bowl party who doesn't know football, but pretends he does.

I have yet to agree with Mike Carey on anything. Every time he makes an argument for a call, the opposite happens…Play was obvious to me…Cribbs knee and entire body are on the ground and touched by a defender before the ball comes out. Oh, but yeah, ok that's a fumble…Right

Yeah, it is humorous how often he is wrong........and it is so obvious when he is wrong. And then, he seems to get mad. Thank goodness he is no longer on the field.