Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

mewhort or reitz

CR91

I was so looking forward to Reitz's incredibly good pass pro as a Guard. Although, I had hoped it would be at that RG spot that's troubled us so much when Reitz has been injured. Mewhort playing his usual LG. Mewhort progressed in last week's game at RT granted of was his first start there. An additional week of practice at RT; I say leave him there and let Reitz play RG. Reitz is so good in passpro at the RG spot. Should help Mewhort handle obvious pressure overloads over on the R side. That leaves the LG spot open to a vulnerable, weak link.

In some ways, I counter my own argument by point out the Castonzo/Mewhort L side of our oline hasn't been the problem. We may want to leave that strong duo together for continuity and familiarity and help the back-ups on the right side with Doyle, Allen and the RB.

Lots to consider either way.

Having watched all the preseason games I thought Joe Reitz looked bad at the Tackle position.

I honestly thought he would be cut.

Then, when Reitz was called upon to play RT this season (I think the Jags game?), I was not surprised when his struggles continued.

Should the coaching staff choose Joe Reitz to start against Cincinnati and Carlos Dunlap, I think we will have serious trouble pass protecting.

I could only hope Mewhort would be a better option.

Reitz is not bad at Guard. Terrible at Tackle.

So here is yet another personnel decision, of who should be starting over whom...

And the decision squarely rests on Chuck Pagano.

I didn't watch enough of Mewhort at tackle to make the call, but if he's slightly better than Nixon and Reitz I say the lineup should be Costanzo, Reitz, Holmes, Nixon, Mewhort.  I think Nixon and Mewhort would make a decent run blocking tandem on the right side if we need to run.

Or I could deal with Costanzo, Nixon, Holmes, Reitz, Mewhort.

With either combination we will have to provide some help to Mewhort on Dunlap.

I didn't watch enough of Mewhort at tackle to make the call, but if he's slightly better than Nixon and Reitz I say the lineup should be Costanzo, Reitz, Holmes, Nixon, Mewhort.  I think Nixon and Mewhort would make a decent run blocking tandem on the right side if we need to run.

Or I could deal with Costanzo, Nixon, Holmes, Reitz, Mewhort.

With either combination we will have to provide some help to Mewhort on Dunlap.

Yeah.  I'd forgotten about Shipley's injury.  I wonder if we should switch Nixon and Reitz-I only say this because Reitz and AC usually pair up well on the left side pretty well and you make a good point about Mewhort and Nixon and run blocking.  

I'd most comfortable with this one than any other.

Yeah.  I'd forgotten about Shipley's injury.  I wonder if we should switch Nixon and Reitz-I only say this because Reitz and AC usually pair up well on the left side pretty well and you make a good point about Mewhort and Nixon and run blocking.  

I'd most comfortable with this one than any other.

Ultimately, I like the AC, Reitz, Holmes, Nixon, JM lineup as well. My concern is pairing two young guys on the right side, so flop Reitz and Nixon. But I like your lineup.

I vote LT Costanzo, LG Joe Reitz, C Jonathan Harrison, RG Khaled Holmes, RT Jack Mewhort.   However, the coaching staff seems in love with Lance Louis as the top back-up, so I'm sur he'll start at one guard spot and Harrison will sit the bench.

AC, Nixon LG, Holmes C, Reitz RG, Mewhort RT. Keep that through next preseason too.

I vote LT Costanzo, LG Joe Reitz, C Jonathan Harrison, RG Khaled Holmes, RT Jack Mewhort.   However, the coaching staff seems in love with Lance Louis as the top back-up, so I'm sur he'll start at one guard spot and Harrison will sit the bench.

One of these line-ups is our best option with who is healthy. I think JM is by far our best option at RT...Reitz is pretty effective a G but pretty ineffective at RT. 

LT-Castonzo

LG-Reitz

C-Harrison

RG-Holmes

RT-Mewhort

By that tweet they are as stumped and undecided as I am at this point. I put Holmes at RG cause he pulls well and RG we use as our pulling guard a lot. Castonzo and Reitz are familiar with each other obviously, Harrison and Mewhort are more power guys and are capable of knocking a D Linemen off the ball sometimes so that's what I put Mewhort at RT and Harrison at Center......

Long story short I don't think this is suddenly going to be an answer we are looking for but I think it gives the O Line the best chance at success this week, Im certainly not opposed to pulling Harrison for Shipley if Harrison stinks it up through the first half

it does not matter who plays or who sits or who plays where, they are all below average

Oh it matters. There's below average and then there's horrible. If you're referring to the RT position Reitz and Nixon got abused when they filled in there. Mewhort did mostly ok in his one start there, although his lack of experience with him being rookie is worrying.

LT-Castonzo

LG-Reitz

C-Harrison

RG-Holmes

RT-Mewhort

By that tweet they are as stumped and undecided as I am at this point. I put Holmes at RG cause he pulls well and RG we use as our pulling guard a lot. Castonzo and Reitz are familiar with each other obviously, Harrison and Mewhort are more power guys and are capable of knocking a D Linemen off the ball sometimes so that's what I put Mewhort at RT and Harrison at Center......

Long story short I don't think this is suddenly going to be an answer we are looking for but I think it gives the O Line the best chance at success this week, Im certainly not opposed to pulling Harrison for Shipley if Harrison stinks it up through the first half

Yip!