Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did anyone agree with Mike Carey on his ruling? Is this a fumble or an incomplete pass?

ReMeDy

Did anyone agree with Mike Carey on his ruling?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a fumble or an incomplete pass?

• It's a fumble.
    • It's an incomplete pass.

andreJohnson_mikeCarey_ruling.gif

I made a .gif really fast. This was Andre Johnson immediately after the catch. Mike Carey was offering commentary to the analysts, claiming this was an incomplete pass, NOT a fumble. The ruling by the real referee on the field was a fumble, and the Colts gained possession after falling on it. Mike Carey basically said Andre Johnson did not have full control of the ball, therefore even though he makes a "football move," it doesn't matter. He didn't have control of the ball to begin with. He says to look at the ball... It wasn't cradled.

I need to get my eyes checked, cause Mike Carey is seeing something I'm not. Johnson had control of it. Using two hands, he hugs the ball into his chest. It's not until he goes to stiff arm a defender when he loses control.

Even when the decision was ruled a fumble, Mike Carey stuck to his guns and disagreed with the call. This same replay from the same angle was replayed in slow motion as Mike Carey defended his opinion with no uncertainties in his voice.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way that's called an incomplete pass is if the receiver is going to the ground while trying to complete the catch. In this case, when he's on his feet and not going to the ground, as soon as he establishes control of the football -- cradled or not, football move or not, two steps or not -- it's a catch. 

Hmm, it'd be funny if I posted this exact same thread on a Houston Texans forum and they all say it's incomplete, lol.

One of the Texan's forum was funny because their fans were sure the Reggie pass was going to be ruled a catch because in their words "they never get any calls." The Johnson play was the end for them with one guy calling Carey's opinion "doodoo." I love seeing what other fans think about calls in games.

Carey's "analysis" of that play was egregiously irresponsible. 

He must have Andre Johnson on his fantasy team.

How he could be that convinced makes me really wonder about officiating.  He didn't even think there was a remote possibility that it could be a fumble. 

Carey's "analysis" of that play was egregiously irresponsible. 

He must have Andre Johnson on his fantasy team.

How he could be that convinced makes me really wonder about officiating.  He didn't even think there was a remote possibility that it could be a fumble. 

I don't even think he saw the slow motion replay before blurting out it was incomplete. I'm glad the people back in New York get to look at the plays too because the refs are bad. 

One of the Texan's forum was funny because their fans were sure the Reggie pass was going to be ruled a catch because in their words "they never get any calls." The Johnson play was the end for them with one guy calling Carey's opinion "doodoo." I love seeing what other fans think about calls in games.

You know your not right for doing that lol

So let me check my understanding with the more knowledgeable of you, I believe that the whole number of steps taken line of argument doesn't matter, the key is control of the ball. So in theory he could "juggle" the ball a good 10 yards say before dropping it and it wouldn't be classed as a fumble? 

In this specific case Johnson caught it with 2 hands before shifting it to 1 hand to rush with the ball during which he lost control of the ball. That says to me it's a catch and that the fumble occurred during this 2nd motion. 

I know what the guy was saying that he didn't have control or had put it away.  He would be right if putting it away was his first move with the ball.  To me, why the on the field Ref said it was a fumble, he caught the ball and as someone else said, for a step or so, he had put the ball away by having both hands tight on the ball, against his chest.  He had complete control of the ball.  When he decided to move the ball away from his chest, is when he lost it.  Which is a fumble.  Even Johnson knew it was a fumble.

I think the reaction of AJ states it, he was MAD, slammed his helmet on the bench. He seemed to clearly think it was a fumble and didn't even seem to dispute it by his reactions. Looked like a fumble to me.

Or he could have been mad at the poor call?  :dunno:  Just playing advocate of the horned one.. I'm pretty sure it was a fumble. 

He had full control of the ball and started to cradle it.  His inability to cradle it correctly doesn't make the pass incomplete.  

But both hands tightly clench the ball and it's clearly a catch.  

Andre Johnson himself knew it was a fumble, you could tell by his reaction.  He wasn't politicking for it to be an incomplete pass, he walked off the field and threw his helmet down and was clearly mad at himself, not the refs.

And we now know why Mike Carey is no longer an official in the NFL

I think I was watching another game in which they where getting his opinion on and his opinion in that game clearly differed from the refs in that case too.  I can't remember which game it was or if it was even a Colt's game or not.

And remember this year the NFL refs are essentially plugged into the NFL head office while making the call so, their call is pretty much the same as the head office's call on replays.

I don't know what freaking planet you have to be on to think that was an incomplete pass.

IIRC Mike Carey also thought that last fumble by Fitzpatrick was a forward pass.

Maybe they need to go back to his officiated games and review them. He doesn't know the rulebook.

Why does Mike Carey even get to be on TV? Did nobody else say yes to the job? He's up there with Jeff Triplette.

His head is so big it can't even fit in the picture.

UTI1690837_r620x349.JPG?75d51d0aea2efce5

This is why Mike Carey spend 10 minutes in the replay booth.  We almost never got a call from him....a lot of "Play stands as called" because he was scared to make a decision.  Why?  See this ridiculous call.

We should be glad the retired Ron Winter is not on TV.  He would have to meet with his 'team' of officials even before 10 minutes in the booth.  :)

ap081228023784.jpg