Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver CB Harris says Wilson is better than Luck [Merge]

1yrdandacloudofdust

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell Wilson has the Ring,  so until someone else from his drafting class matches that,  He will be considered the best of the class.

Is he really the best...???   :dunno:  I don't know, but I do know he definitely impressed me with that last winning drive last night.

You know who thinks Luck is better than Wilson? Doug Baldwin. And he's on the same freaking team. Richard Sherman mentioned Andrew Luck as having the best arm of any QB in the NFL (he did call Luck the 5th "smartest" as opposed to Wilson's 4th). Trent Dilfer has said that he's been told by at least one veteran coach that Luck is "hands down" the best player in the NFL (QB or other position). I've never heard anyone knowledgeable make such a claim about Wilson.

What always gets me when people try to talk about how Wilson is better than Luck is the talk of "efficiency". Sure, his box score numbers would suggest he's more "efficient" than Luck since he has a higher career completion percentage and yards per attempt and a lower career interception total. I think any neutral observer would admit that Wilson has been aided in part by a superior cast around him (especially on defense) and that the running game he has with Marshawn Lynch sets up a more dangerous play action (half Wilsons tds last year). But even if we set all that aside, if he's so much more "efficient", why was his espn total QBR last year lower than Luck's despite being surrounded by such superior talent? And people saying "oh so far this year he's playing better than Luck" - again - his total QBR according to their metrics is lower despite having an easier team to quarterback. 

No weakness in Wilson's game and that drive yesterday when the Broncos had ALL the momentum was money. Wilson is more efficient and makes less mistakes BUT he has the much better team. That being said, the Seattle offense is woefully average IMO outside of Lynch. Harvin disappears and then the other guys seem average to lousy at best. Wilson made the final drive happen last night with his feet and his arm. It was a clinic in how QB carries an offense down the field for the win.

Almost apples and oranges.  Andrew is asked to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball, throw into tighter windows.  RW has a more dynamic offense to run with all kinds of misdirections and a much better running game.  Seattle's offense gets RW on the edges which puts significantly more strew on a defense.  Derek Bevel has built an offense to highlights RW's athleticism an ability to make good decisions.  I think RW gets the nod on being more composed and making fewer mistakes.  You can't over estimate what an impact having that defense provides too.

No weakness in Wilson's game and that drive yesterday when the Broncos had ALL the momentum was money. Wilson is more efficient and makes less mistakes BUT he has the much better team. That being said, the Seattle offense is woefully average IMO outside of Lynch. Harvin disappears and then the other guys seem average to lousy at best. Wilson made the final drive happen last night with his feet and his arm. It was a clinic in how QB carries an offense down the field for the win.

I agree with most of what you wrote. The only point I would disagree with is that the offense being woefully average outside of Lynch. They have a very good Oline and while no stars in the skill positions they are on a whole better than average, with no lousy players.

Almost apples and oranges.  Andrew is asked to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball, throw into tighter windows.  RW has a more dynamic offense to run with all kinds of misdirections and a much better running game.  Seattle's offense gets RW on the edges which puts significantly more strew on a defense.  Derek Bevel has built an offense to highlights RW's athleticism an ability to make good decisions.  I think RW gets the nod on being more composed and making fewer mistakes.  You can't over estimate what an impact having that defense provides too.

"I think RW gets the nod on being more composed and making fewer mistakes."

This among his physical talents and decision making is why I think its so close,

I agree with most of what you wrote. The only point I would disagree with is that the offense being woefully average outside of Lynch. They have a very good Oline and while no stars in the skill positions they are on a whole better than average, with no lousy players.

I thought the Oline was below average yesterday but that was against a great pass rush.

Who is Chris Harris? Some bottom of the rung CB? Yea, thanks for your input buddy.

I know who Chris Harris is, i'm just making a mockery of him.

He is a very, very good corner. Best corner on Denver's team. Check out his wiki page and you will see some of his achievements with the Broncos.

I thought the Oline was below average yesterday but that was against a great pass rush.

Yesterday may not have been the Seahawks oline's best game. I was just saying they are, IMO, a very good Oline. The Seahawks ran the ball fairly well and overall there was not too much pressure on Wilson, although I give Wilson's mobility/calm under pressure a lot of credit for that.

Yesterday may not have been the Seahawks oline's best game. I was just saying they are, IMO, a very good Oline. The Seahawks ran the ball fairly well and overall there was not too much pressure on Wilson, although I give Wilson's mobility/calm under pressure a lot of credit for that.

Yeah, I think the Oline gets that if they can keep the pressure toward the middle than Wilson will run to the edge. Honestly, I don't know why Denver did not have a LB spying him especially on the last drive. It was maddening to watch.

Personally, I think to answer the question, you have to look at the path that led them here. Knowing what you know about both quarterbacks, and the team that the Colts had in 2012, who would you have taken on April 26, 2012?

With all the chips on the table, I'm taking Luck every day of the week. That's not to discredit Wilson. He is a GREAT qb. That drive yesterday was beautiful. I just think Luck is capable of doing more with less.

The Seahawks gave up 141 hits+sacks combined on Wilson while the Colts gave up 138 in 2013

Colts ran 409 times

Luck ran the ball for 377 yards on 63 carries...So take away those 63 runs from 409 and his 377 yards......you now have 346 carries and 1366 yards....3.94ypc

Seahawks ran 509 times.....96 of those by Wilson for 539 yards........Take those 96 carries away you get 413 attempts, Seahawks ran for a total of 2188 yards prior to taking away Wilsons 539....Take away his 539 yards.....Seahawks ran for 1649 yards...5.29ypc....Quite a bit better then the Colts last year but multiple factors go into that,

Luck: 912 yards 9 TD's 3 INT's 69% completion %

Wilson: 651 yards 6 TD's 1 INT 69% completion %

I'd argue it. 

First, I think it is a silly comparison to make. Wilson plays for a much better team and he doesn't have to win games by himself. He also runs the ball well at appropriate times in the game and he protects himself well. Wilson doesn't have to score nearly as much to win because his defense is so good. Luck threw the ball 126 times. Wilson threw 87 times. The average per completion is 7.2 for Luck and 7.5 for Wilson. Luck's stats are inflated because of the blowout win against a very bad Jacksonville team. What do you think Wilson's stats would look like if he got to play those turkeys twice?

This will be the Brady/Manning debate of the future. Wilson already has a Super Bowl win and he played very well yesterday and got a win against a very good Denver team something Luck was unable to do. I still think the comparison is meaningless because of the vast difference between the talent levels of the two teams. If you had a complete NFL draft, I am sure Luck would go number one but Wilson would be right behind him.

surprised-reaction-guy-l.png

Did anyone else catch Broncos DB Chris Harris saying after the game that Wilson is better than Luck?

I mean, I like Wilson. He's a great guy. Good QB. He gets a lot of help from those around him. 

But better than Luck? 

Uh...

You have not been paying attention too well, have you?

That QB looked might good tying the game when down eight points with 58 seconds left. If John Fox had not been so conservative for so much of the game, Denver would have won.

Who knows...they failed.

And as usual we hear "Fox's fault", "bad OT rules" and all the rest.

All I'm saying is that Harris' pot shot at Luck is the useless opinion of a losing football player.

Who knows...they failed.

And as usual we hear "Fox's fault", "bad OT rules" and all the rest.

All I'm saying is that Harris' pot shot at Luck is the useless opinion of a losing football player.

Well, that losing football player had a good view of both of the QBs. They lost to Wilson but the beat Luck and were blowing the Colts out in the first half. I do not find his opinion useless at all. Your opinion on the other hand.......

Pro Bowl LT and Center plus Carpenter is a beast and will be a Pro Bowler this year, I wouldn't call that mediocre or horrible

Then you haven't spent any time watching them. Their pass protection is weak. Their run blocking is inconsistent. They lose focus and commit stupid penalties. Mee Dee Oaker.