Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay suspended 6 games, fined $500k (updated, merged)

csmopar

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Irsay for sure doged a bullet!! The plea deal he took helped him a little bit! Irsay coulda but him really hard! 6 games and $500,000 is still a decent amount though!

He just HAS to stay out of trouble now! I sure hope he does! If he doesn't i think he will have no choice to pass the team down to his daughters.

500k to the NFL. No suspension. One misdemeanor charge is all. All his pills were prescribed. Dudes a broke mess physically and I would bet cannot stop taking them. That's why the court left the allowance to still have them. His body is broken.

To your point, saying "he is broken";

I will say Jim was looking in pretty bad shape the previous year or so prior to his DWI/DUI incident..

However, I had heard reports that after his rehab stint and some passing of time sober or at least on a routine schedule of his prescribed pain meds, that his over all health/appearance looked to be "much" improved.

So I guess my question is, can anyone who may have seen Jim at training camp or wherever comment on this???

Jim Irsay's transgression  probably cost the Colts the Super Bowl bid in 2018, and I'm pretty sure the SB committee considered that.

The Super Bowl committee also did not award  New Orleans because of the power outage in the second half between the 49ers and Ravens, delayed everybody and the game, in front of an international audience.

That left Minneapolis/St/ Paul, and they were awarded the  Super Bowl.  Indianapolis will be back to host another Super Bowl at LOS.  In the 2020 decade likely for the next opportunity.

Jim Irsay's transgression  probably cost the Colts the Super Bowl bid in 2018, and I'm pretty sure the SB committee considered that.

The Super Bowl committee also did not award  New Orleans because of the power outage in the second half between the 49ers and Ravens, delayed everybody and the game, in front of an international audience.

That left Minneapolis/St/ Paul, and they were awarded the  Super Bowl.  Indianapolis will be back to host another Super Bowl at LOS.  In the 2020 decade likely for the next opportunity.

Interesting

:blueshoe:   In my humble opinion this sounds like an appropriate punishment given Irsay's status as a team owner.  I consider it both fair and reasonable.

:blueshoe:   Don't believe that draft picks would have been considered since this was a violation of the "personal conduct policy" and his violation did not in ANY way have any affect on his team.

:blueshoe:   Time for Irsay to move on - and - for us to join in that quest.

hard to beat a brand new stadium.  I hope they rock it

That power outage though........I talked to people who were at that game and it was very unnerving. They didn't know if it was a terrorist attack or what. These days your mind goes there

How will salaries get paid?  Is all of the money to play the players, coaches, GM, and other staff placed in escrow before the season?  If not then how does he pay the salaries if he is banned from contact with the team?

I don't think he's banned from contact with the team.  I think he just cannot attend the first 6 games

Guilty. Ok , where is the apology to Colt's Nation ?

Statement from Jim Irsay

September 2, 2014

I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere. Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community. In retrospect, I now know that the incident opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health. I truly hope and pray that my episode will help in some small measure to diminish the stigma surrounding our country’s terrible and deadly problem of addiction. It is a disease like other progressive, terminal diseases—one that can only be successfully treated by understanding, committed hard work, and spiritual growth. I am deeply grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and support during these past few months from my family, friends, care-givers, and our great community. Please know I am firmly committed to staying on my path to good health and I look forward to a great season.  

How will salaries get paid?  Is all of the money to play the players, coaches, GM, and other staff placed in escrow before the season?  If not then how does he pay the salaries if he is banned from contact with the team?

what do you think irsay pays people out of his pocket? i seriously doubt irsay dabbles in the payroll department at all

Irsay could have won the Nobel Peace Prize and Indy still would have lost that bid.

No it didn't ... Minnesota building a new stadium almost guaranteed them the Super Bowl.

Guilty. Gets a court fine and probation. Now to see what the league does.

EDIT: Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11454088/nfl-bans-jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts-six-games-fines-500k

The games are symbolic...

He may not actually contribute on game day anyway..

The fine is the most you can fine an owner..

Its fair

I don't think he's banned from contact with the team.  I think he just cannot attend the first 6 games

That's the way I understand it.

he has to stay away from team facilities...but I ddint hear that he cant contact players and coaches..

He's banned from twitter but that's a ban that should be permanent

Statement from Jim Irsay

September 2, 2014

I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere. Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community. In retrospect, I now know that the incident opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health. I truly hope and pray that my episode will help in some small measure to diminish the stigma surrounding our country’s terrible and deadly problem of addiction. It is a disease like other progressive, terminal diseases—one that can only be successfully treated by understanding, committed hard work, and spiritual growth. I am deeply grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and support during these past few months from my family, friends, care-givers, and our great community. Please know I am firmly committed to staying on my path to good health and I look forward to a great season.  

I'm naive enough to hope that this puts to rest all the nonsense about "when will he apologize?" 

:blueshoe:   Personally - I do not believe that Jim Irsay's actions had ANY affect whatsoever on the Super Bowl being awarded to Minneapolis. 

The NFL has been pretty consistent - "If you build it - they will come" !!!  :blueshoe:

what do you think irsay pays people out of his pocket? i seriously doubt irsay dabbles in the payroll department at all

I understand that. 

I was honestly curious because when players, coaches, and other personnel are suspended the team is also punished by doing without their services which hopefully leads to positive peer pressure to not screw up.  The primary function of the owner is financial.  He pays the bills and reaps the profits.  I was wondering whether suspending him from this function could lead to painful consequences for the team as happens when a player or coach is suspended.  It just seemed logical that suspending the most important person in the franchise, its owner, could possibly lead to much worse problems than suspending a single player or coach would.

I understand that. 

I was honestly curious because when players, coaches, and other personnel are suspended the team is also punished by doing without their services which hopefully leads to positive peer pressure to not screw up.  The primary function of the owner is financial.  He pays the bills and reaps the profits.  I was wondering whether suspending him from this function could lead to painful consequences for the team as happens when a player or coach is suspended.  It just seemed logical that suspending the most important person in the franchise, its owner, could possibly lead to much worse problems than suspending a single player or coach would.

No, measures have been taken to ensure that doesn't happen. Even if Irsay suddenly fell ill, the day to day would still be intact. A team with a more involved owner, like Jerry Jones, would have some issues with day to day stuff, but I'm sure they have a contingency plan in place as well with his son. So Irsay's daughter will operate as the owner, and is already authorized to do so, Pete Ward will manage the finances, and Grigson will continue to run the football stuff. I don't think anything really changes, except on a personal level, since Irsay won't be in the building. But I'm sure they've discussed situations like big trades or signings and whatnot, if the opportunity were to present itself in the next six weeks. And the checks will be signed and bills will be paid, just like normal.

The games are symbolic...

He may not actually contribute on game day anyway..

The fine is the most you can fine an owner..

Its fair

Ehh games are more then symbolic.  He doesn't tie up a billion dollars in an NFL team to watch from his living room.  He wants to be there, especially in the locker room after the games.

We're used to watching it on TV so it doesn't seem like a big deal for us, but Irsay is used to going from his box down to the locker room to celebrate with the team after they win.  Taking that away from him is sort of like saying you can't watch the games on TV anymore you have to listen to them on the radio.  It's not the same, just like watching on TV is not the same as going there and especially not the same as being able to be in the locker room after the game is over.