Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay suspended 6 games, fined $500k (updated, merged)

csmopar

I don't think he's banned from contact with the team.  I think he just cannot attend the first 6 games

I believe he's banned from any contact with the team.

Can't be at the facility at all.     Removed from all team business.

He gets to come back for week 7.

At least,  that's my understanding.....

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of other people on ESPN and Yahoo commenting that they should have fined him more, banned him for a year and only come back after when he is clean, and also taking picks.  The counter argument to the pick thing is why do that when it hurts the team and the fans more.  However a compelling counter argument to that is that when you suspend players for the exact same thing you are hurting the team more than you are the player. Take Josh Gordon for example.  he did drugs, got arrested, and he is banned for a year.  Sure its going to hurt him, especially in the pocket, but its really going to hurt the team just as much.  Without him their season could basically be shot.  Now there is a plus to that and that i getting a top draft pick next year. 

I don't see how any fan or any person not remotely close to understanding all of the facts of the situation can possibly judge if the penalty is harsh enough.

Go cheer the Colts.

Because the need to project frustration is rampant in sports and those who do anything you dislike are convenient targets. Right now the most convenient targets are:

Jim Irsay

Trent Richardson

Pep Hamilton

#WELOVEYOUJIM

Good, now maybe people can stop acting like this a big deal.

Considering what he potentially got away with (Nobody but Irsay knows what the dope and 29 grand was for), it's a pretty big deal he got off with a misdemeanor charge (including probation + drivers license suspension 1 year), $500,000 fine and only 6 game suspension. 

Considering what he potentially got away with (Nobody but Irsay knows what the dope and 29 grand was for), it's a pretty big deal he got off with a misdemeanor charge (including probation + drivers license suspension 1 year), $500,000 fine and only 6 game suspension. 

Not real pills prescribed 29G is pocket change for a guy like Jim people get DUI's everyday and get same or less punishment .

Standard punishment for a first offense DUI in Indiana

The situation he was caught in can be seen as intent to distribute. Glad it wasn't, but if they had pushed for that, Irsay could have seen a much harsher outcome. 

Without knowing how much of what drugs he had, it's impossible to say that the police didn't pursue intent to distribute.  The police report read as including 11 pieces of evidence they labeled "prescription drugs."  What we don't know is if, for each of the 11 items, whether it was 1 or 100 pills.  So intent to distribute may not have even been on the table to begin with.

Guilty. Ok , where is the apology to Colt's Nation ?

Statement from Jim Irsay

September 2, 2014

I acknowledge the mistake I made last March and stand responsible for the consequences of that mistake, for which I sincerely apologize to our community and to Colts fans everywhere. Even more importantly, though, I am committed to do everything in my power to turn this whole experience into a positive event for myself, my family, and the community. In retrospect, I now know that the incident opened my eyes to issues in my life that needed addressing and helped put me on the path to regain my health. I truly hope and pray that my episode will help in some small measure to diminish the stigma surrounding our country’s terrible and deadly problem of addiction. It is a disease like other progressive, terminal diseases—one that can only be successfully treated by understanding, committed hard work, and spiritual growth. I am deeply grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and support during these past few months from my family, friends, care-givers, and our great community. Please know I am firmly committed to staying on my path to good health and I look forward to a great season.  

Feel free to eat crow.

Standard punishment for a first offense DUI in Indiana

Check out the news because it was just stated that if he should get another OWI within the next 5 years his charges would be changed to a felony. If that should happen he would have to serve time. He is also going to have random drug testing.  Well Jim get clean and stay that way. ;)

The situation he was caught in can be seen as intent to distribute. Glad it wasn't, but if they had pushed for that, Irsay could have seen a much harsher outcome.

There has been nothing said publicly about how many grams he had on him. So you are just speculating on a possible intent charge

I see a lot of other people on ESPN and Yahoo commenting that they should have fined him more, banned him for a year and only come back after when he is clean, and also taking picks.  The counter argument to the pick thing is why do that when it hurts the team and the fans more.  However a compelling counter argument to that is that when you suspend players for the exact same thing you are hurting the team more than you are the player. Take Josh Gordon for example.  he did drugs, got arrested, and he is banned for a year.  Sure its going to hurt him, especially in the pocket, but its really going to hurt the team just as much.  Without him their season could basically be shot.  Now there is a plus to that and that i getting a top draft pick next year. 

I don't think you should equate owners with players

Players do not pay owners while the reverse is true

I think players have a lot of restrictions on what they can and cannot do with their bodies..........down to what they eat and how they excercise, they've got demands on their time that they must comply with  all as part of their contract.........not so for owners

just saying it's not the same 

Without knowing how much of what drugs he had, it's impossible to say that the police didn't pursue intent to distribute.  The police report read as including 11 pieces of evidence they labeled "prescription drugs."  What we don't know is if, for each of the 11 items, whether it was 1 or 100 pills.  So intent to distribute may not have even been on the table to begin with.

If he didn't have a prescription quantity of pills matters but with one it doesn't at all . The only way you can get distribution in his case would be in a sting like situation where a informant wore a wire during a deal or a personal confession but with the condition he was in when arrested could have been thrown out of court .

Check out the news because it was just stated that if he should get another OWI within the next 5 years his charges would be changed to a felony. If that should happen he would have to serve time. He is also going to have random drug testing. Well Jim get clean and stay that way. ;)

These charges wouldn't be changed to a felony.. The new charge would be a felony. That's also standard for Indiana. A dui followed by a second inside of five years will be a felony. Doubtful even if that happens he would see jail time. But I'm guessing that will not be an issue in the future. If nothing else, call a limo

Without knowing how much of what drugs he had, it's impossible to say that the police didn't pursue intent to distribute. The police report read as including 11 pieces of evidence they labeled "prescription drugs." What we don't know is if, for each of the 11 items, whether it was 1 or 100 pills. So intent to distribute may not have even been on the table to begin with.

I can't imagine that they didnt investigate that angle. With the cash and the drugs, it just makes sense. And yet he's only getting hit with one misdemeanor charge.

If he didn't have a prescription quantity of pills matters but with one it doesn't at all . The only way you can get distribution in his case would be in a sting like situation where a informant wore a wire during a deal or a personal confession but with the condition he was in when arrested could have been thrown out of court .

The pills weren't prescribed to my understanding.  Assuming that to be true, the number of pills is relevant.  But if they were prescribed, you are right, they wouldn't matter, because you theoretically wouldn't have more than you're prescribed to have.

I can't imagine that they didnt investigate that angle. With the cash and the drugs, it just makes sense. And yet he's only getting hit with one misdemeanor charge.

Well, I'm sure they investigated it, but I was assuming that their investigation didn't turn up any confession or other evidence (i.e. interrogation).  I guess I spoke to broadly.  There's other circumstantial evidence that could be used, if it were present in the case.  I just meant that if cash and a lower amount of drugs were all the prosecution had, then intent to distribute wouldn't have been a viable charge.

Why thank you!  I'd also add "much prettier" to that.  :D   Her name is Lilly and she was born July 21!  Once I get her in her Colts outfit which she'll start fitting into here soon, I'll be changing my avatar once again.  :)

And may I say that in addition to being so prettier, she looks very alert for a new born. Congrats!

Why?  If one of us owns a business chain say Buffalo Wild Wings and we go out and get blasted and "mess up Irsay style" ...     Should the Vice President or CEO of the company feel obligated to "punish" the owner of the chain?   The court system and the "PUBLIC" will judge dude enough.  

Godell and EVERYONE else collecting a pay check from an NFL franchise work for Jim and 31 other owners.      Since when are owners accountable to their employees?      Who gives a ^&%$   what Jim Irsay is doing on his time?

This is total silliness.. .    And the league and media bending over backwards to be "politically correct" .. 

SIGH..     Comical.   It really is.   

Ray Rice can totally BLAST his wife in an elevator and get 2 games off.      Since when do owners get hammered harder than players?   This is all butt backwards.

Jim Irsay pays Roger G and Roger G is dishing out discipline?   

I seriously don't get it.      

That's a lot less of a punishment than I was expecting.

Guilty. Gets a court fine and probation. Now to see what the league does.

EDIT: Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11454088/nfl-bans-jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts-six-games-fines-500k

Why? If one of us owns a business chain say Buffalo Wild Wings and we go out and get blasted and "mess up Irsay style" ... Should the Vice President or CEO of the company feel obligated to "punish" the owner of the chain? The court system and the "PUBLIC" will judge dude enough.

Godell and EVERYONE else collecting a pay check from an NFL franchise work for Jim and 31 other owners. Since when are owners accountable to their employees? Who gives a ^&%$ what Jim Irsay is doing on his time?

This is total silliness.. . And the league and media bending over backwards to be "politically correct" ..

SIGH.. Comical. It really is.

Ray Rice can totally BLAST his wife in an elevator and get 2 games off. Since when do owners get hammered harder than players? This is all butt backwards.

I agree. Especially about Ray Rice.

Why? If one of us owns a business chain say Buffalo Wild Wings and we go out and get blasted and "mess up Irsay style" ... Should the Vice President or CEO of the company feel obligated to "punish" the owner of the chain? The court system and the "PUBLIC" will judge dude enough.

Godell and EVERYONE else collecting a pay check from an NFL franchise work for Jim and 31 other owners. Since when are owners accountable to their employees? Who gives a ^&%$ what Jim Irsay is doing on his time?

This is total silliness.. . And the league and media bending over backwards to be "politically correct" ..

SIGH.. Comical. It really is.

Ray Rice can totally BLAST his wife in an elevator and get 2 games off. Since when do owners get hammered harder than players? This is all butt backwards.

I get the point about ray rice, but the nfl has always had a personal conduct policy that owners agreed to and wore to abide by. To my knowledge the nfl has always had the ability to punish owners. This is not a Goodell thing.

Jimmy Haslam...    "personal conduct"   ?  Seriously..     A stone cold theif?    NO conduct punishment?  OK

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365105/article/browns-owner-jimmy-haslams-company-fined-92m

the NFL does not want to "make a scene with this issue" ...   but Jimmy is an easy target.  

I get the point about ray rice, but the nfl has always had a personal conduct policy that owners agreed to and wore to abide by. To my knowledge the nfl has always had the ability to punish owners. This is not a Goodell thing.

This morning, Mike Greenberg read an email from a listener sort of questioning what they thought the punishment might be,  and part of the statement that was read was....." and Irsay was driving with a briefcase full of pills that didn't belong to him".

I thought that was really irresponsibe to read that email.  Stuff like this might be floating around the chatter forums and might be the basis for conclusions that are not based on facts.