Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay suspended 6 games, fined $500k (updated, merged)

csmopar

1. I guess I'm old school and I think there is is and should be a separation between private life and professional life. The NFL did not lose one sponsor because of Irsay, if the Colts lost a season ticket holder then that affects Irsay not the league.

2. Yes, that is what I said (or meant to say) I think DUI and DWI laws or too lenient. But that is because there are some things I have no tolerance for and that is one of them.

3. Thanks for making my point about the "higher standard". Irsay was punished much more harshly than any player in the NFL and much more harshly than just about any other representative of an organization that I can think of (although, I must admit I don't know how all organizations have dealt with all drug related offenses with all their employees). Especially when, as I feel, it has nothing to do with the NFL. (See how I tied that back into the original point ;) )

#1. Is not new , though. Teachers are on a code of conduct ; in some states, if arrested for a DUI, they can lose their job.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1. Is not new , though. Teachers are on a code of conduct ; in some states, if arrested for a DUI, they can lose their job.

I actually think schools have no business extending their reach outside the classroom.  Some have school consequences for kids getting caught drinking off campus

I think that is the parents business and not the schools.

But, I can see them being concerned with DUI and other crimes by teachers.  They are molding young minds.  But I wonder how they get  their information?  Is it public record they are watching?

Schools need to be careful with their reach. There was a time when if a woman was visibly pregnant...........she had to stop teaching..........I guess seeing a pregnant woman was judged somehow harmful to kids in a school setting.

This business with employers getting into your private life is creepy

I actually think schools have no business extending their reach outside the classroom.  Some have school consequences for kids getting caught drinking off campus

I think that is the parents business and not the schools.

But, I can see them being concerned with DUI and other crimes by teachers.  They are molding young minds.  But I wonder how they get  their information?  Is it public record they are watching?

Schools need to be careful with their reach. There was a time when if a woman was visibly pregnant...........she had to stop teaching..........I guess seeing a pregnant woman was judged somehow harmful to kids in a school setting.

This business with employers getting into your private life is creepy

There's a point where it's obviously intrusive. That line might be blurry at times, but there are some clear instances where it's a problem.

However, I don't think that applies to Irsay, or most other public figures.

There's a point where it's obviously intrusive. That line might be blurry at times, but there are some clear instances where it's a problem.

However, I don't think that applies to Irsay, or most other public figures.

True the nfl is a pretty unique business model though

I'm pretty uncomfortable with people being tried and convicted by public opinion. It's a slippery slope

YES>...     ....  

Why did Jim not have "someone" on the line ready "on call" to roll his bombed * around town?

Seriously?    But in the end...    these type things are never planed.   

My only advice to Jim Irsay is this: Hire a professional driver because a) you can afford it, b) it will give you piece of mind, & c) if I could afford to do so, I would just to avoid traffic congestion, being tired behind the wheel, or having a horrific mishap in the future. 

No judgements here at all. It's just that an incident like this that could have ended tragically either in harming myself or an innocent driver near me would prompt me to think about hiring a driver. JMO. 

Very good post..

The NFL's player  /    OWNER dynamic is really becoming very interesting.    IMO it is not even a conversation.    They are employees,     PERIOD.   Who are unionized. 

I would make one guarantee on this issue.....      EVERY owner in the NFL wants the Irsay mess to go AWAY.     ALL these guys have skeletons.      Drill ONE owner AND "make him a little upset" ...     or "MAKE AN EXAMPLE OUT OF HIM" ....      hemmmmmmmm    (ie come down Really hard on dude)  I would love to be a fly on the wall of the conversations following that "decision" at an owners meeting.    

It's not going to happen to the degree the PC media and the totally ridiculous NFLPA would like.     

In the end they WILL ALL take care of each other.      Owners.....

They OWN the dang league...     they cut checks...     

I agree with a lot of what you say here and my main thought reading through this thread is how many people act like it's okay that the league fined him a half a million dollars for something that really doesn't have anything to do with the league.

But I will say, Goodell is doing what he is hired to do.  Goodell is not an employee of Irsay or the owners, to continue with your analogy he is the CEO of the business the owners help set up.  It would be like if several businesses went together and hired a security firm to manage their security, the owners of those businesses are accountable to the security firm as well. (Or to make the analogy more accurate, if businesses hired a tax exempt, money laundering company.  But that is a different topic).

Hughes comments dont really indicate he is butt hurt at all(Though Im sure he appreciates being a 1st round pick who actually gets on the field on defense more and being able to develop his skills in game action).....Actually its more truth then anything..Dont get me wrong I love our team owner to death...But he was hardly punished.....$500,000.00.....Whats he make that in a minute? Also I think some are fooling themselves if he wont be conversing with Carlie Irsay and passing messages........Also lets be honest......Had that been an owner like Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones or someone else most/many fans would be up in arms calling for his head on a stick

Hughes comments dont really indicate he is butt hurt at all(Though Im sure he appreciates being a 1st round pick who actually gets on the field on defense more and being able to develop his skills in game action).....Actually its more truth then anything..Dont get me wrong I love our team owner to death...But he was hardly punished.....$500,000.00.....Whats he make that in a minute? Also I think some are fooling themselves if he wont be conversing with Carlie Irsay and passing messages........Also lets be honest......Had that been an owner like Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones or someone else most fans would be up in arms calling for his head on a stick

It's ten times the punishment a player would get for a first DUI

It's ten times the punishment a player would get for a first DUI

A player still loses two game checks if this article I am reading is correct and again its not like Irsay don't have connections to still have input behind the scenes if he wanted...Its not really anywhere near 10 times the punishment...games wise? yes  but Irsay don't play in the games and the money will still come in. Hey I ultimately hope he gets help regardless of discipline handed down but it really wasn't as bad as ya make it sound

Hughes comments dont really indicate he is butt hurt at all(Though Im sure he appreciates being a 1st round pick who actually gets on the field on defense more and being able to develop his skills in game action).....Actually its more truth then anything..Dont get me wrong I love our team owner to death...But he was hardly punished.....$500,000.00.....Whats he make that in a minute? Also I think some are fooling themselves if he wont be conversing with Carlie Irsay and passing messages........Also lets be honest......Had that been an owner like Robert Kraft or Jerry Jones or someone else most/many fans would be up in arms calling for his head on a stick

That is a completely asinine comment. Irsay's net worth is 1.6 billion.  That is not how much money he makes or how much cash he has on hand, that means if you add up everything he owns plus cash that is what he is worth.  Of that I'm sure 1 billion or more is the Colts. So no, that is not what he makes per minute. 

Additionally, had it been an owner like Kraft or Jones or Snyder or anyone else, I'd feel the same way... that it's a ridiculous punishment for something that does not really involve the NFL. 

A player still loses two game checks if this article I am reading is correct and again its not like Irsay don't have connections to still have input behind the scenes if he wanted...Its not really anywhere near 10 times the punishment...games wise? yes but Irsay don't play in the games and the money will still come in. Hey I ultimately hope he gets help regardless of discipline handed down but it really wasn't as bad as ya make it sound

players are fined up to 50,000 and no missed games. Last i checked 500,000 is ten times 50000

A player still loses two game checks if this article I am reading is correct and again its not like Irsay don't have connections to still have input behind the scenes if he wanted...Its not really anywhere near 10 times the punishment...games wise? yes  but Irsay don't play in the games and the money will still come in. Hey I ultimately hope he gets help regardless of discipline handed down but it really wasn't as bad as ya make it sound

He's getting fined ten times as much as a player would for a first time DUI. Not sure what you're arguing. It's math. (And it's easy to turn your nose up at someone else's half million. That's a lot of money for anyone.)

And we've never compared the money lost from game checks before. I don't know why people are trying to do that now. The truth is, two players who both have a yearly average of $5m would lose different amounts based on how their contracts are structured. If Drew Brees got suspended four games this year, it would cost him $2.5m. If Peyton Manning got suspended four games, it would cost him $3.5m. 

I'm just not sure how anyone can look at this situation and argue that Irsay's punishment doesn't outweigh what a player would get. It's either ignorant or an outright lie.

That is a completely asinine comment. Irsay's net worth is 1.6 billion.  That is not how much money he makes or how much cash he has on hand, that means if you add up everything he owns plus cash that is what he is worth.  Of that I'm sure 1 billion or more is the Colts. So no, that is not what he makes per minute. 

Additionally, had it been an owner like Kraft or Jones or Snyder or anyone else, I'd feel the same way... that it's a ridiculous punishment for something that does not really involve the NFL. 

Have to account for saving money as well, Of which Im sure he saves some back....I'd hope...and the comment about "a minute" was more sarcasm then factual. Truth is I have no idea how much he makes of what the Colts organization makes as a whole but I mean he does own the team, Just because his business is worth 1.6 bill don't mean that's what he actually has saved, Im sure he has plenty more saved up through the years

Have to account for saving money as well, Of which Im sure he saves some back....I'd hope...and the comment about "a minute" was more sarcasm then factual. Truth is I have no idea how much he makes of what the Colts organization makes as a whole but I mean he does own the team, Just because his business is worth 1.6 bill don't mean that's what he actually has saved, Im sure he has plenty more saved up through the years

Gavin, I know you're young but do they not teach basic finance in school anymore?  Since this is a forum and not a class I will keep this simple... A person's net worth is the SUM of all their assets.  Assets are things like... houses, cars, businesses, guaranteed annual payments, cash (cash includes any money in the bank whether it's a checking account, savings acct, money market acct, CD, etc), stocks, bonds,...  

So, I read in an article that Irsay's net worth is around 1.6 billion.  According to this artcle the Colts franchise is valued at 1.4 billion.  So that means that all other Jim Irsay's other assets equal about 200,000,000.  Not a bad chunk of change no doubt I wish that was my net worth.  But even that number is not what he makes in a year, that is what he's been able to accumulate in his lifetime.  I assume Irsay is 60 something, so for ease of math, let's say he's 70 and he's been accumulating wealth since he was 18.  That is 52 years... $200,000,000 net worth/52 years = averages out to about $3.9 million in assets per year.  So a $500,000 fine represents and estimated 7.7% of his annual net worth gain.

If your company said, "Gavin you did this thing on your own time but it made us look bad so you have to pay us 7.7% of all assets(being how much money you earned, anything of value that you bought, dividends you received on stock) you gained last year."  Would you think it was no big deal?

Gavin, I know you're young but do they not teach basic finance in school anymore?  Since this is a forum and not a class I will keep this simple... A person's net worth is the SUM of all their assets.  Assets are things like... houses, cars, businesses, guaranteed annual payments, cash (cash includes any money in the bank whether it's a checking account, savings acct, money market acct, CD, etc), stocks, bonds,...  

So, I read in an article that Irsay's net worth is around 1.6 billion.  According to this artcle the Colts franchise is valued at 1.4 billion.  So that means that all other Jim Irsay's other assets equal about 200,000,000.  Not a bad chunk of change no doubt I wish that was my net worth.  But even that number is not what he makes in a year, that is what he's been able to accumulate in his lifetime.  I assume Irsay is 60 something, so for ease of math, let's say he's 70 and he's been accumulating wealth since he was 18.  That is 52 years... $200,000,000 net worth/52 years = averages out to about $3.9 million in assets per year.  So a $500,000 fine represents and estimated 7.7% of his annual net worth gain.

If your company said, "Gavin you did this thing on your own time but it made us look bad so you have to pay us 7.7% of all assets(being how much money you earned, anything of value that you bought, dividends you received on stock) you gained last year."  Would you think it was no big deal?

What I think is this.......I am god awful at math...Needless to say when I was in school (Graduated in 2002) nobody asked me to help them with there math homework, Yes they taught finance when I was in school, Still given he has been the owner of the team I would have thought he brought in much more then that over the last 17 years of being owner

What I think is this.......I am god awful at math...Needless to say when I was in school (Graduated in 2002) nobody asked me to help them with there math homework, Yes they taught finance when I was in school, Still given he has been the owner of the team I would have thought he brought in much more then that over the last 17 years of being owner

I'm guessing no one asked you for help on their English homework either? :P 

Well it's a small market team.

I would take being an owner of a franchise in a heart beat but it's not all fun and games.  Think about this also... the salary cap and players salaries are based on TV revenue (CBS.FOX, NBC, ESPN and NFL Network) paying for the right to air the games.   But it's not like the team gets a 128 million in cash in one lump sum to payout during the year.  Additionally the signing bonuses that are paid come out of the owner's pocket.  It's one of the reasons why most NFL owners make their money in other businesses (Kraft from Gillete, the Seattle owner made his gajillions at Microsoft, Snyder is another software billionaire).  Irsay is unique in that the Colts franchise is his main and largest source of income.

Nice post.. always appreciate someone who tries to quantify things, who said Math can' be fun..

So in the conduct policy dolled out by the NFL, punishment is based on the recipients income or the cost to them comparatively? That is an idea that I don't understand.

Irsay is 55, so your averages and percentages are a little skewed, but otherwise your point stands.

Historical evidence makes it clear that the fines aren't based on income. If anything, fines are reduced upon appeal if they are overly punitive, based on income.

I remember when Jacob Lacey got a pick-six, wanna say in 2008 or 2009, and he did a pop-slide as he ran it into the end zone. He got fined $25K for improper celebration (can't go to the ground to celebrate, unless you're praying or throwing up the cross, which is really stupid). He appealed, and the team backed him, because $25K on rookie minimum is kind of hard to deal with. I think Polian said it was more than a game check for him ($25K x 17 weeks is $425K, so that adds up). The fine was reduced, to $5K, I think.