Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'rick Rogers...future #1 WR

ED29_1659yards

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garçon runs very physical after the catch and I certainly don't think we've seen enough to say Rogers has better hands. I know Garçon's hands are much more consistent now than when he was a Colt.

he still has those inconsistent drops

And I assumed you meant physicality while going for the catch, which Rogers does have Garçon beat on.

Why is it a foregone conclusion that this is Reggie's last year? I could see him reup with us for another 2 years. He took a big discount to stick around after the 2-14 season to help rebuild the franchise, so why wouldn't he potentially stick around a couple more to see the Monster fully built? With that being said, it's certainly a possibility that it's his last season; however, I wouldn't state it so definitively.

read a lot of posts in Mathis`s last..last contract year saying it was his final year and all that. Why rush Reggie out just like were doing with Mathis? GOOD veteran leadership is important, something both bring 

I like what I'm seeing from DaRick so far. Still raw and needs to work on consistency.  But size, speed and big play ability is definitely there.  Don't know if he is a future one but he could certainly become a valuable weapon for Luck down the road.  He brings a skill set that complements our current stable of receivers.  Luck will have a ton of options in the passing game this year.

he still has those inconsistent drops

And I assumed you meant physicality while going for the catch, which Rogers does have Garçon beat on.

As does Rogers, he dropped quite a few very catchable balls in his limited play last year. Garcon is quite physical going for the ball as well, I don't see how you can say Rogers, in his limited time, is definitively better than Garcon. Either way, I listed 6 similarities that I can see between the two players and you say "eh" because of 2 characteristics that they are more similar in then you want to admit.

Sorry I am still VERY lukewarm on Rogers. He has to show me much more than he has before I am piling on his bus. Same with Allen.

ColtsHappy

If you don't like a player or aren't sold on them, I get that. Please stop saying players have to prove something to you as if you have a say on lineups rosters etc. you sound ridiculous. Furthermore are there varying degrees of Luke warm or is it just room temperature? Luke warmier?

Havent been impressed with him so far this year.  Hasnt done much to me.  Here is what he did.

His first play was a PI that negated his 39 yrd catch

2nd play was incomplete but a defensive PI

3rd was a 14 yard TD.

Yet here we are drooling over him again?

Meanwhile Whalen had,

5 yard TD

10 total yards in returns

3 incomplete pass

4 receptions for 27 total yards.

Even though they are two completely different types of receivers, we have plenty of burners like Rogers. I like Whalen for our reception type receiver as we only have Reggie around for that. 

He's no where near a #1, more like a 3 or 4.

Havent been impressed with him so far this year.  Hasnt done much to me.  Here is what he did.

3rd was a 14 yard TD.

Meanwhile Whalen had,

5 yard TD

3 incomplete pass

Even though they are two completely different types of receivers, we have plenty of burners like Rogers. I like Whalen for our reception type receiver as we only have Reggie around for that. 

I kinda don't get it - everyone thinks Rogers is a lock and that we are gonna carry 6 WR's. I am not so sure he is a lock - but he still has some time.....

Is anyone giving attention what D.Rogers is doing. He's looking more and more like the the guy many thought he would be. He's scored in both preseason contests, and is dominating every one-on-one matchup. With this being Reggie's last year, and Nicks having a suspect right foot, D.Rogers, T.Y. Hilton, and D.Moncrief make for a very exciting future for colts nation...

You are aware that a ROOKIE started ahead of him and Griff came in as the 3rd WR. With TY and 87 sitting we decided to start Moncrief and Nicks.

Rogers is the 6th WR on our depth chart I would be more worried if we keep 6 WR's and don't trade the guy than I would be fitting him for the HOF jacket.

He still has the same problems rounds off routes and doesn't always  go hard and worse than that I don't get the feeling Luck trust him to be where he is supposed to be that is a problem. Again that is my opinion. The fact we started a rookie over him is a fact.

Is anyone giving attention what D.Rogers is doing. He's looking more and more like the the guy many thought he would be. He's scored in both preseason contests, and is dominating every one-on-one matchup. With this being Reggie's last year, and Nicks having a suspect right foot, D.Rogers, T.Y. Hilton, and D.Moncrief make for a very exciting future for colts nation...

Not to be a stickler for detail vs the Jets we scored 1 td pretty sure it was a swing pass to Boom. Did I miss Roger's score somewhere in there?

Ken your #1 in my book,

Your book is filled with naked imagery, profane accusations toward the President of the United States and a diatribe of nonsense railing against the perceived, impending alien invasion of Earth. 

I am honored, because all these things bring me joy. 

Is this post a joke. Nick's foot injury? He looked pretty good running with first team while Rogers watched. 87 is retiring next yr?

Oh look, yet another Colts Forum troll.... :clap:

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are a troll. If you got rid of everyone here who believes the TR trade was awful and that he is a bust, you would all be just talking to yourselves and patting each other on the back. When you call someone a troll, take a good look in the mirror. That is what a real troll looks like. I think we have one of best QBs in the NFL, I think our receivers as a group are in the top three. I think the Oline is still not very good but the defense is improving. But, I am not allowed to say that a running back who ALWAYS gains under three yards per carry is a bust. Well, open your eyes because he is. I think he is the worst starting RB in the NFL but he won't be a starting RB long. They took him down two or three pegs last year and they are going to do it again. I'll bet you are one of those delusional few who predicted he would gain 1200 yards this year. You have to get to 600 first and he may not do that.

3rd was a 14 yard TD.

Meanwhile Whalen had,

5 yard TD

3 incomplete pass

Why are you so insecure about your boy Griff? I don't see anyone in here downplaying Griff's game so they can prop up Rogers as you're doing in the reverse. I think you're being a bit fanatical.

Your book is filled with naked imagery, profane accusations toward the President of the United States and a diatribe of nonsense railing against the perceived, impending alien invasion of Earth.

I am honored, because all these things bring me joy.

Nice dude!! Alien invasions rock, no better way to go out Independence Day style..

Since we're talking about our young receivers, I'd like to mention Moncrief. I was critical of how he's prone to body catch. That showed itself at least twice last night. If this guy starts using his hands away from his body to make those catches, even with guys hanging on him, he'll bring those balls in. If he keeps trying to trap the ball against his chest, he's going to miss out on a lot of plays.

And I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I would think the coaches are working with him and lets hope he can make the adjustments.

I've not seen anyone predicting Rogers and Moncrief will be future hall-of-famers, but these two young athletes clearly have the physical tools and the potential to be really good.  It's up to them to work hard, learn the pro game, and develop their skills to reach that level of play.  

With a few rare exceptions, the vast majority of young receivers coming out of college do not excel in their first two years in the NFL.   It usually takes at least two to three years for them to even earn a starting spot.  The great Reggie Wayne -- a first-round draft pick -- was no exception.  He increased his production in each of his first three seasons, but he did not eclipse 1,000 yards until his 4th season.

As long as Rogers and Moncrief continue to show improvement throughout the season and from one year to the next, they will be the future starting wideouts for the Colts, especially after Wayne retires.  Based on what Rogers did last season and so far this preseason, the Colts can't risk putting him on the practice squad.  He might not clear waivers.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they are a troll. If you got rid of everyone here who believes the TR trade was awful and that he is a bust, you would all be just talking to yourselves and patting each other on the back. When you call someone a troll, take a good look in the mirror. That is what a real troll looks like. I think we have one of best QBs in the NFL, I think our receivers as a group are in the top three. I think the Oline is still not very good but the defense is improving. But, I am not allowed to say that a running back who ALWAYS gains under three yards per carry is a bust. Well, open your eyes because he is. I think he is the worst starting RB in the NFL but he won't be a starting RB long. They took him down two or three pegs last year and they are going to do it again. I'll bet you are one of those delusional few who predicted he would gain 1200 yards this year. You have to get to 600 first and he may not do that.

Is there another subject you can whine about? There is a reason you are being called a troll. This thread is about the receivers and you are still harping on TRich. We mostly try to stay on topic but you seem to not have that knowledge.

Yeah, whether they're eligible or not, it's hard to see either of them getting through waivers.

What's tough is that we might need to keep an extra lineman at the start of the season, with Holmes, Mewhort and Nixon being less than 100%. And then Bradshaw hasn't played yet, so we don't know whether he'll be able to hold up, and might need an extra back. We're only keeping two QBs. That makes receiver the only deep and healthy position, and we might have to sacrifice someone. 

full back

I can imagine down the road, after Reggie retires, 3 WR sets with Rogers and Moncrief on the outside with Hilton in the slot. Then our 2 WR 2 TE sets with Fleener and Allen. If Rogers and Moncrief live up to their potential, Luck is going to shred defenses throwing in these sets. I think this year the 2 TE sets are going to be fun, with Reggie and TY on the outside.

And I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I would think the coaches are working with him and lets hope he can make the adjustments.

I think that is more mental than anything. DHB still can't stop doing it, even with spending countless hours on the jugs machine standing there catching with his hands. Garcon used to have a bad habit of doing it as well and seems to have finally broken that habit from what I have seen of him.

A starter has to either be able to run more than in just a straight line or be Randy Moss. I'm not buying Rogers as a future #1 until he can pick up a true second route at least.

That's not on Rogers, that's on Pep's play calling. He can only run what he's told to run. I would like to see some more inside crossing routes like Pep had him doing in the Cincy game myself, but if he keeps beating his man over the top you have to keep exploiting it until the other teams stop it.

That's not on Rogers, that's on Pep's play calling. He can only run what he's told to run. I would like to see some more inside crossing routes like Pep had him doing in the Cincy game myself, but if he keeps beating his man over the top you have to keep exploiting it until the other teams stop it.

Having seen him in camp, I'm not convinced it is on Pep. Rogers is wildly more effective running the go route than any other route by a wide margin. His route running is bad. Not sub-par - bad. He's not appeared to have advanced as a route runner at all, and he quite honestly looks lazy in his attempts to run routes at all.

Having seen him in camp, I'm not convinced it is on Pep. Rogers is wildly more effective running the go route than any other route by a wide margin. His route running is bad. Not sub-par - bad. He's not appeared to have advanced as a route runner at all, and he quite honestly looks lazy in his attempts to run routes at all.

I get what you are saying, but to say you need to see more routes out of him, Pep needs to get him plays where he's not running those fly routes all of the time. I doubt Rogers is running those on his own. I'm with you, as I want to see more routes, especially using his size in the screen game.

Why are you so insecure about your boy Griff? I don't see anyone in here downplaying Griff's game so they can prop up Rogers as you're doing in the reverse. I think you're being a bit fanatical.

It was for comparison purposes. Moncrief didn't do much either and is only those 3 that might have the possibility of getting cut. Fanatical? This coming from people calling Rogers a #1 lock after making 1 catch. Lay year doesn't count cause we don't have enough body of work to determine if that is his norm.