Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson News

kjyb

I am not spinning anything you said Look at Richardson's career numbers.

I said yeah look at Richardson's career numbers his rookie year is a better year than Brown has ever had.

Careers:

Richardson 1,513 14 td's in 2 yrs

Brown 2,377 17 td's in 5 years

It doesn't really matter Richardson will be carrying the rock in Indy Brown will be trying to catch on somewhere that says it all

And when they were behind the same line one averaged 5.3 YPC and the other 2.9 YPC. Literally any back off the street could have managed more than 2.9 YPC.

I'll repeat myself again, Trent has more talent and potential than Donald Brown but the gap between the two last year was huge. If you couldn't see that than you weren't watching or you're just majorly biased.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the same thing you did.    But you have to read it a 2nd time.

The article says he gained weight in the off-season and has lost 15 pounds from his off-season high.    So, he was 240 in the off-season.     Now he's 225.

But the article also says he played "around 230" last year.    That's code for more than 230.   So, he's lost 6-8 pounds from last year's playing weight.     Good, but I was personally hoping for more.    I'd love to seem him in the teens.   219 to 213.   Somewhere in there.    I thought his best season in college was his sophomore year when he played at 215.    I think that's closer to his best playing weight.

Weight in the one area where I disagree philosophically with the Colts.    I think they are way, way into too much size.   I hope I'm wrong, but I'll have a better feel for things after this season is over......

I think you get waaay too hung up and nitpicky over player weight.  Without knowing specifics about a particular player's body composition, it's impossible to say that XXX lbs is the right weight for a guy.  :)

And when they were behind the same line one averaged 5.3 YPC and the other 2.9 YPC. Literally any back off the street could have managed more than 2.9 YPC.

I'll repeat myself again, Trent has more talent and potential than Donald Brown but the gap between the two last year was huge. If you couldn't see that than you weren't watching or you're just majorly biased.

The thing is, I don't think Richardson has more talent than Brown. I think the only reason people say that is he was the #3 pick in the draft. There is nothing in his game that sticks out.....nothing. Jim Brown was right when he called him ordinary.

OMFG ...  Donald Brown has finally gotten a little respect on this board.   I stuck up for him for his entire time here and WANTED him resigned.

It only took dude 4 years to finally make it happen...  and in a "contact" year.   

Brown was this boards "whipping BOY" for his entire time on this team.    He was hurt, average, showed a flash every now and again.  

NOW....   he is the player he was coming out of UCONN?     Ahhhh  I get it ...   maybe it does take a "few years" to "figure it out" ???

Donald did a LOT of tippy toeing early in his career.      Just saying.

I think you get waaay too hung up and nitpicky over player weight.  Without knowing specifics about a particular player's body composition, it's impossible to say that XXX lbs is the right weight for a guy.   :)

You may be entirely correct.   I absolutely give you that.

But the players I worry about are players who I think have not performed fully to their ability and I think weight plays a part in that.

(Chapman, Thornton, Landry,  TRich,  Hughes,  Davis,  Redding)   And now there are guys to watch-out for like Adongo and Werner...   so my concerns continue...

And there are some players who have actually lost weight (Castonzo & Chrilous) and they've recently played some of their best ball.    I'm not sure that's a coincidence.

My concerns about weight are always tied to performance.    If a player can play at a higher weight than I'd prefer,  then my concerns are lessened....   but that has rarely happened.   And I'm not just talking about the Colts,  I'm talking about in all my years of following football.    This has been a concern of mine for a long, long time.....

Hopefully that at least explains my view more fully......

The thing is, I don't think Richardson has more talent than Brown. I think the only reason people say that is he was the #3 pick in the draft. There is nothing in his game that sticks out.....nothing. Jim Brown was right when he called him ordinary.

Maybe so, but that's not why I say it. I was a huge fan of Trent's in college. He was fantastic at Alabama. I thought for sure he was going to be the next big RB in the NFL and I still believe the potential is there.

However, I am a big fan of Browns. I think he is one of the most explosive backs to and through the hole in football.

Just the facts, no spin:

Career numbers-Brown= 66 games and 2,377 yds = 36 yds per game @ 4.3 ypc behind poor run blocking O lines (that included, well mainly no one of note) and 83 receptions at 9.2 per reception, also 12 games of 60 or more yds rushing or 18% of games played

Richardson=47 games and 1,513 yds @ = 32 yds per game @ 3.3 ypc behind poor run blocking O line ? (that included Joe Thomas and Alex Mack) and 86 receptions at 7.9 per reception, also 9 games of 60 or more yds rushing or 19%

This is, if I recall, TRich's first time playing with the same OC as the last season. From Brad Childress (under Pat Shurmur) to a cup of coffee with with Norval Turner (under Chud) to Pep Hamilton. Personally, I think there is certainly a possible issue with learning one offense your rookie season, spending the next training camp learning an entirely different offense, and then spending the rest of that season learning a third offense on the fly. Such offense changes early in a career has absolutely murdered some high caliber QB prospects and, while perhaps not needing as much adjustment as a QB does, likely has a non-zero effect on a young tailback. 

This is, if I recall, TRich's first time playing with the same OC as the last season. From Brad Childress (under Pat Shurmur) to a cup of coffee with with Norval Turner (under Chud) to Pep Hamilton. Personally, I think there is certainly a possible issue with learning one offense your rookie season, spending the next training camp learning an entirely different offense, and then spending the rest of that season learning a third offense on the fly. Such offense changes early in a career has absolutely murdered some high caliber QB prospects and, while perhaps not needing as much adjustment as a QB does, likely has a non-zero effect on a young tailback. 

Here is an article on Colts.com about TRich in OTAs.  Good article and goes into more detail about some of the things you stated in this post and what others of us have been saying.  Now if all that, he still comes up at rushes for 3.5 ypc or less then it will be time to get rid of him and go a different direction but anyone that claims to use last year and the gauge for how he will perform this year does not understand football at all.

Just the facts, no spin:

Career numbers-Brown= 66 games and 2,377 yds = 36 yds per game @ 4.3 ypc behind poor run blocking O lines (that included, well mainly no one of note) and 83 receptions at 9.2 per reception, also 12 games of 60 or more yds rushing or 18% of games played

Richardson=47 games and 1,513 yds @  = 32 yds per game @ 3.3 ypc behind poor run blocking O line ? (that included Joe Thomas and Alex Mack) and 86 receptions at 7.9 per reception, also 9 games of 60 or more yds rushing or 19% 

Correction: After I rechecked my reference, I found that Pro Football Reference totalled Trent's games at 47 when they are 31, therefore he averages 49 yds per game. All other numbers are correct.

Here is an article on Colts.com about TRich in OTAs.  Good article and goes into more detail about some of the things you stated in this post and what others of us have been saying.  Now if all that, he still comes up at rushes for 3.5 ypc or less then it will be time to get rid of him and go a different direction but anyone that claims to use last year and the gauge for how he will perform this year does not understand football at all.

Always has to be a whipping boy to blame, you know? Each fan has their own expectation for their team. Most fans give it life with some measurable number or level....x amount of wins......win a playoff game......get to the SB.....etc. Any level of disappointment for many is then countered by blame. The easiest to blame is the player, coach, GM, etc....that displays the most obvious disappointing measurables.

All so convenient and tidy, so clean and just. I would love to see the number of times that a WR dropped a pass that was miss-thrown, where they were blamed for the drop, but the fault could have been.....

the QB threw a bad pass

the WR ran the wrong route

the WR missed the hot read

the RB failed to block, causing the pass to be hurried

the LG got rushed into the QB, shortening his throwing arc

the QB did a seven step rather than a five and outstepped his blind side protector

the OC called the wrong play for the coverage on the field

and the list could be tripled. Life is so much easier with a clean figure to point the blame at. However, TRich can rest easy, his time of blame heaping is nearly over. Soon, and it could be someone we just drafted, someone will be forced to carry the mantle of blame. I love it when a player can be both! Donald Brown was a major whipping boy, and then the example as to how TRich is a bust. That.....is pure fan genius.

I think you get waaay too hung up and nitpicky over player weight.  Without knowing specifics about a particular player's body composition, it's impossible to say that XXX lbs is the right weight for a guy.   :)

You may be entirely correct.   I absolutely give you that.

But the players I worry about are players who I think have not performed fully to their ability and I think weight plays a part in that.

(Chapman, Thornton, Landry,  TRich,  Hughes,  Davis,  Redding)   And now there are guys to watch-out for like Adongo and Werner...   so my concerns continue...

And there are some players who have actually lost weight (Castonzo & Chrilous) and they've recently played some of their best ball.    I'm not sure that's a coincidence.

My concerns about weight are always tied to performance.    If a player can play at a higher weight than I'd prefer,  then my concerns are lessened....   but that has rarely happened.   And I'm not just talking about the Colts,  I'm talking about in all my years of following football.    This has been a concern of mine for a long, long time.....

Hopefully that at least explains my view more fully......

Like both of your posts here, apologies for continuing the OT but looking at weight in a vacuum makes it not a very useful metric. Don't get me started on BMI :P. Now when you get into the like of body fat % you starting along the right lines but there is now universal rule. Different players will react differently depending on their inherent athleticism and body type and even what type of player they are. By that I mean if they rely on out and out physical ability they are more likely to affected by weight fluctuations, wheras a Peyton type player could no doubt play back there just fine at any weight. 

However that said NCF, if there was enough accurate data available it would be fun to chart weight changes against say 40 times etc, to see how much of an effect it did have. I'm sure your right to an extent that teams overstate weight in the same way peacocks fan out their tails.  

Always has to be a whipping boy to blame, you know? Each fan has their own expectation for their team. Most fans give it life with some measurable number or level....x amount of wins......win a playoff game......get to the SB.....etc. Any level of disappointment for many is then countered by blame. The easiest to blame is the player, coach, GM, etc....that displays the most obvious disappointing measurables.

All so convenient and tidy, so clean and just. I would love to see the number of times that a WR dropped a pass that was miss-thrown, where they were blamed for the drop, but the fault could have been.....

the QB threw a bad pass

the WR ran the wrong route

the WR missed the hot read

the RB failed to block, causing the pass to be hurried

the LG got rushed into the QB, shortening his throwing arc

the QB did a seven step rather than a five and outstepped his blind side protector

the OC called the wrong play for the coverage on the field

and the list could be tripled. Life is so much easier with a clean figure to point the blame at. However, TRich can rest easy, his time of blame heaping is nearly over. Soon, and it could be someone we just drafted, someone will be forced to carry the mantle of blame. I love it when a player can be both! Donald Brown was a major whipping boy, and then the example as to how TRich is a bust. That.....is pure fan genius.

I've been on this forum or Indystar since the year Manning got drafted.  And through that time here are some things that the majority of fans agreed with at various times:

Colts should draft Leaf over Manning because he had more upside.

Draft Ricky Williams over Edge

Have dropped Wayne after a couple of years because he was a bust and not able to break into the starting lineup.

Would not have drafted Dallas Clark (in full disclosure, I would not have drafted Clark either, I would have drafted Witten)

I remember long conversations with several people that felt in 2002-2005 that the Colts needed to draft a center because Saturday was just average.

When Dungy was fired from Tampa many wanted the Colts to look at him as a DC but nobody (and yes I do mean nobody) wanted him as a head coach.

I do remember people talking about starting Mike Doss over the rookie Bethea because Bethea was from a small school and not ready to make the jump to the NFL.

Polian was a complete * for wasting a 5th round draft pick on an undersized DE from a small school, of course now that guy in the sack leader in Colts history.

There are hundreds of other examples.  I'm not picking on anyone, all I'm trying to say is that, we as fans know very little about building a team to compete in the NFL.

I've been on this forum or Indystar since the year Manning got drafted. And through that time here are some things that the majority of fans agreed with at various times:

Colts should draft Leaf over Manning because he had more upside.

Draft Ricky Williams over Edge

Have dropped Wayne after a couple of years because he was a bust and not able to break into the starting lineup.

Would not have drafted Dallas Clark (in full disclosure, I would not have drafted Clark either, I would have drafted Witten)

I remember long conversations with several people that felt in 2002-2005 that the Colts needed to draft a center because Saturday was just average.

When Dungy was fired from Tampa many wanted the Colts to look at him as a DC but nobody (and yes I do mean nobody) wanted him as a head coach.

I do remember people talking about starting Mike Doss over the rookie Bethea because Bethea was from a small school and not ready to make the jump to the NFL.

Polian was a complete * for wasting a 5th round draft pick on an undersized DE from a small school, of course now that guy in the sack leader in Colts history.

There are hundreds of other examples. I'm not picking on anyone, all I'm trying to say is that, we as fans know very little about building a team to compete in the NFL.

Lol. Funny but true.

Oh I just remembered another one:

I remember the Indystar board nearly suffering a meltdown because the Colts drafted some DE out of Syracuse when the future NFL superstar, Albert Haynesworth was still available.

That same year there was a smaller, yet no less vocal group, that thought the Colts should draft Donte Stallworth to replace the aforementioned bust that was Reggie Wayne.

Oh I just remembered another one:

I remember the Indystar board nearly suffering a meltdown because the Colts drafted some DE out of Syracuse when the future NFL superstar, Albert Haynesworth was still available.

That same year there was a smaller, yet no less vocal group, that thought the Colts should draft Donte Stallworth to replace the aforementioned bust that was Reggie Wayne.

Amen!! :worthy:

:scoregood:

Donald Brown was a major whipping boy, and then the example as to how TRich is a bust. That.....is pure fan genius.

Yeah, forum posters seem to have incredibly short memories, some even for their own previously expressed opinions.

I seem to recall being among a very distinct minority (like maybe a handful of us) when I would say that I wanted to see what DB could do when healthy for a whole season, and I recall getting pounded with rants about how he would be terrible anyway.

(On a side note, I also expressed interest in seeing how he could do behind a decent OLine, but I never got that chance, at least not with him in a Colts uni... )

Now everybody seems to be on the "DB was pretty good, but TR is the worst EVAHHHHHHH" rant. I wonder where all these DB supporters were, even just last year, and I'll be equally puzzled when TR haters magically become his biggest fan if he turns his game around.

But that is how this forum goes...

Trent had one outstanding game his rookie season, it was against the Colts. If you remove the stats from that game his numbers as far as ypc and ypg drop down to basically the same as last season. He did have 12 touchdowns his rookie season, but they were mostly for short yardage and took multiple attempts to achieve.

The whole idea that of you think Trent is bad then you must be in love with Brown is foolish. Brown was a bust, not worthy of a 1st round pick, Trent can also be a bust and it doesn't mean that suddenly people must love Brown.

Trent's rookie numbers were basically on par with Ballards, Ballard was a 4th round pick. Ballard was not a beast, he was not awesome, he was a serviceable back.

Trent's numbers last season were not on par with anyone's. He was one of the worst in the league, outperformed by backups.

He did not improve with time, which should have been expected because he was here awhile and had time to at least learn a little. Instead his numbers decreased and judging by his touches in the playoff the coaching staff had little faith in him, and his numbers would say that it was for good reason.

I hear people say he has all the talent, or all the tools to be a great runningback. I think that's just a catchphrase and a clever way to make excuses. What tools and talent did he display last season ? Even a blind dog finds a home now and again, but he never did.

In 2 seasons Trent's biggest game was against the Colts who haven't been good at run defense in years.

I'd the starters stink that bad at defending the run then just imagine how bad the practice squad is. Trent probably looks like Peterson each week against those guys, then hits the field against an actual NFL team on Sunday and falls flat on his face.

There is plenty of video of Trent's hesitation, his dancing, his running past obvious holes and straight into defenders or his own linemen.

I wish I could believe that Grigson made a good trade, that Trent was gonna be a beast, or that it was all just a lack of familiarity with a playbook, but I can't. Too much evidence says its just Trent.

Trent had one outstanding game his rookie season, it was against the Colts. If you remove the stats from that game his numbers as far as ypc and ypg drop down to basically the same as last season. He did have 12 touchdowns his rookie season, but they were mostly for short yardage and took multiple attempts to achieve.

The whole idea that of you think Trent is bad then you must be in love with Brown is foolish. Brown was a bust, not worthy of a 1st round pick, Trent can also be a bust and it doesn't mean that suddenly people must love Brown.

Trent's rookie numbers were basically on par with Ballards, Ballard was a 4th round pick. Ballard was not a beast, he was not awesome, he was a serviceable back.

Trent's numbers last season were not on par with anyone's. He was one of the worst in the league, outperformed by backups.

He did not improve with time, which should have been expected because he was here awhile and had time to at least learn a little. Instead his numbers decreased and judging by his touches in the playoff the coaching staff had little faith in him, and his numbers would say that it was for good reason.

I hear people say he has all the talent, or all the tools to be a great runningback. I think that's just a catchphrase and a clever way to make excuses. What tools and talent did he display last season ? Even a blind dog finds a home now and again, but he never did.

In 2 seasons Trent's biggest game was against the Colts who haven't been good at run defense in years.

I'd the starters stink that bad at defending the run then just imagine how bad the practice squad is. Trent probably looks like Peterson each week against those guys, then hits the field against an actual NFL team on Sunday and falls flat on his face.

There is plenty of video of Trent's hesitation, his dancing, his running past obvious holes and straight into defenders or his own linemen.

I wish I could believe that Grigson made a good trade, that Trent was gonna be a beast, or that it was all just a lack of familiarity with a playbook, but I can't. Too much evidence says its just Trent.

you could have just linked to one of your 500 posts that says the exact same thing.

you could have just linked to one of your 500 posts that says the exact same thing.

you could link to one of yours where you think very player on the roster is the greatest at their position and nobody can officially be a bust until they have been retired for 5 years.

you could link to one of yours where you think very player on the roster is the greatest at their position and nobody can officially be a bust until they have been retired for 5 years.

yeah, i don't have any posts like that. But you have about 550 posts with basically the same content as yours above

Yeah, forum posters seem to have incredibly short memories, some even for their own previously expressed opinions.

I seem to recall being among a very distinct minority (like maybe a handful of us) when I would say that I wanted to see what DB could do when healthy for a whole season, and I recall getting pounded with rants about how he would be terrible anyway.

(On a side note, I also expressed interest in seeing how he could do behind a decent OLine, but I never got that chance, at least not with him in a Colts uni... )

Now everybody seems to be on the "DB was pretty good, but TR is the worst EVAHHHHHHH" rant. I wonder where all these DB supporters were, even just last year, and I'll be equally puzzled when TR haters magically become his biggest fan if he turns his game around.

But that is how this forum goes...

DB didn't run hard or worth a hoot until he was running in a contract year and yes, we as fans will all pile

on the TR bandwagon if he starts running effectively...we are fans after all.

Edit: I will gladly eat crow if he actually runs well this season.

DB didn't run hard or worth a hoot until he was running in a contract year and yes, we as fans will all pile

Not sure I agree with your DB eval. It sounds more to me like a way of defending a previously vehement stance turned incorrect position than actual analysis... but I never though DB's problem was in effort.

But to your last comment, I will likewise (if less gladly) eat crow if TR continues to wallow in suckitude.

Just the facts, no spin:

Richardson=47 games and 1,513 yds @  = 32 yds per game @ 3.3 ypc behind poor run blocking O line ? (that included Joe Thomas and Alex Mack) and 86 receptions at 7.9 per reception, also 9 games of 60 or more yds rushing or 19% 

Richardson has only played 31 games in the NFL, not 47 - http://www.nfl.com/player/trentrichardson/2533032/careerstats

I have a feeling that Trent lacks vision and the ability to improvise on the fly.

I think he will come out and have and have a couple of decent games early in the season then once other trams pick up on his patterns he will go back to stinking it up.

I think he runs to where a hole is supposed to be and will run past other holes because he can't adjust. I think that's what the whole dancing deal is, hole isn't where it always was in practice so he jiggles and shakes because he has no idea what to do.

I'm not a football coach but personally I don't think this can be fixed. Like any other job some people catch on and some don't. If his brain can't process fast enough and the instincts aren't there then he won't ever be anything more then he was last season, which was horrible and a laughingstock. I agree that its all mental, I just don't agree that it can be fixed.

Anyone who thinks Richardson is better than Donald Brown, just LOL

Who cares about their "career" stats. Brown was last year and is right now the better running back. Wasn't Richardson Benched for Brown? Unbelievably the denial.

On a side note, I think that makes at least one surgery every single offseason since his draft day.

Year 1. Knee

Year 2. Knee

Year 3. Shoulder

I always though DB played hard, but his lack of consistency was frustrating....and that was compounded by injuries. I was never a huge DB fan, but you could always see the talent.

That's bull %. DBs problem wasn't that he didn't run hard it was his vision in the ZBS. He's much better in a MBS where the hole is predetermined and the backs job is to hit it at full speed and we witnessed that last year.