Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson News

kjyb

Anyone who thinks Richardson is better than Donald Brown, just LOL

Who cares about their "career" stats. Brown was last year and is right now the better running back. Wasn't Richardson Benched for Brown? Unbelievably the denial.

On a side note, I think that makes at least one surgery every single offseason since his draft day.

Year 1. Knee

Year 2. Knee

Year 3. Shoulder

I agree it was NO question who the better runner was last year. Also those injuries you mentioned go to show why RBs careers are so short. They take such a pounding only the very elite or lucky can withstand father time. He also had some pretty serious rib injury early in the season as well as some ankle issues coming out of Alabama if I'm not mistaken. I'm just not that high on drafting a RB in the modern NFL. Not because its a pass first league although that is a factor but because the league is seeing an increase in size and speed on defense that is taking its toll on these runners and its hard to have just one primary back. If you can find one of those few Adrian Peterson guys sure you can spend a first rounder on them but its just very hard to justify the pick otherwise. 

As for Donald I've always been a fan. Donald didn't see a lot of time because he isn't very good in pass protection. We all know Peyton would rather have an avg. Joseph Addai then a young spry Donald Brown. I always wish we would run more screens and swing passes to him and let him get in space with that break away speed but we rarely did that. I think Donald will be a good fit in SD this year. If Mathews breaks down...I think he fills in quite well. Donald has that rare take it to the house speed that few RBs posses....I wish we could have seen more of last year early in his career. If Trent can turn it around he has all the athleticism to be a great back...power/speed is deadly...however his vision is still lacking. We all can only hope the trade pays dividends. If we see lots of Vick and Ahmad...it will be a very dissappointing season for me.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it was NO question who the better runner was last year. Also those injuries you mentioned go to show why RBs careers are so short. They take such a pounding only the very elite or lucky can withstand father time. He also had some pretty serious rib injury early in the season as well as some ankle issues coming out of Alabama if I'm not mistaken. I'm just not that high on drafting a RB in the modern NFL. Not because its a pass first league although that is a factor but because the league is seeing an increase in size and speed on defense that is taking its toll on these runners and its hard to have just one primary back. If you can find one of those few Adrian Peterson guys sure you can spend a first rounder on them but its just very hard to justify the pick otherwise. 

As for Donald I've always been a fan. Donald didn't see a lot of time because he isn't very good in pass protection. We all know Peyton would rather have an avg. Joseph Addai then a young spry Donald Brown. I always wish we would run more screens and swing passes to him and let him get in space with that break away speed but we rarely did that. I think Donald will be a good fit in SD this year. If Mathews breaks down...I think he fills in quite well. Donald has that rare take it to the house speed that few RBs posses....I wish we could have seen more of last year early in his career. If Trent can turn it around he has all the athleticism to be a great back...power/speed is deadly...however his vision is still lacking. We all can only hope the trade pays dividends. If we see lots of Vick and Ahmad...it will be a very dissappointing season for me.

I sort of dismissed it at the time but it's like a snowball rolling down hill, just picking up steam as he goes. A very well respected, former college coach and former scout told me the day we drafted Richardson that not just his running style, which would lead to injuries itself. Also his body type, that he is just to built, too stocky and that those guys don't last in the NFL. I thought it was kind of stupid and short sighted at the time, but as the seasons go on, he is consistently battling something, it starts ringing true at some point. I just can't see him being a bellcow, 16 game, 270 carry back, he's just hurt too often and it's only year 3. 

Very astute observations on Brown and I think you're right, I think what San Diego does is perfect for him. 

I sort of dismissed it at the time but it's like a snowball rolling down hill, just picking up steam as he goes. A very well respected, former college coach and former scout told me the day we drafted Richardson that not just his running style, which would lead to injuries itself. Also his body type, that he is just to built, too stocky and that those guys don't last in the NFL. I thought it was kind of stupid and short sighted at the time, but as the seasons go on, he is consistently battling something, it starts ringing true at some point. I just can't see him being a bellcow, 16 game, 270 carry back, he's just hurt too often and it's only year 3. 

Very astute observations on Brown and I think you're right, I think what San Diego does is perfect for him. 

I agree I don't like big backs that give a lot of angles for defenders to hit. If your built like that you have to have a downhill running style ala Frank Gore/Lynch....there are only a couple in the history like Petterson/Brown that had that size and power and make you miss. I like Trent...just he hasn't translated....personally I prefer those little wrecking ball runners like Jones-Drew and Bradshaw etc that are compact and powerful...don't give a lot to hit. I think we will be lucky if Trent ends up like someone I think he seems similar to and that is Ricky Williams....who also didn't reach his potential...but who at times was great when he had his head on straight.

That's bull %. DBs problem wasn't that he didn't run hard it was his vision in the ZBS. He's much better in a MBS where the hole is predetermined and the backs job is to hit it at full speed and we witnessed that last year.

DB was always a soft runner until last season. He would crumble first fingernail got laid on him, until last year

he was motivated by being fourth string before injuries to fellow RB's and also being in a contract year.

He was almost out of the league until injuries to Ballard, Bradshaw and the uselessness of T. Rich last season.

He did what he had to do to get another contract this year because he ran like the devil was chasing him and

was a very effective RB.

DB was always a soft runner until last season. He would crumble first fingernail got laid on him, until last year

he was motivated by being fourth string before injuries to fellow RB's and also being in a contract year.

He was almost out of the league until injuries to Ballard, Bradshaw and the uselessness of T. Rich last season.

He did what he had to do to get another contract this year because he ran like the devil was chasing him and

was a very effective RB.

Erroneous. It's okay, you're not the only one who believes this nonsense.

No kidding!

I no longer recall who posted it, but last year or the year before, someone ran all of DB's stats for yardage after contact, and that alone disproved all the "lack of effort" comments. The poster had a bunch of other cool stats about DB. Wish I could remember who that was...

Oh well. Haters gunna hate.

And us old guys gunna forget stuff sometimes.

No kidding!

I no longer recall who posted it, but last year or the year before, someone ran all of DB's stats for yardage after contact, and that alone disproved all the "lack of effort" comments. The poster had a bunch of other cool stats about DB. Wish I could remember who that was...

Yeah, I remember that as well but, like you, I forget the poster.

No kidding!

chuckle. Ya he had stats showing DB was a good pass blocker too.

Donald always managed to break a couple long runs to the outside each season to distort his ypc. He was just like TRich, always running straight ahead into his lineman. Never could find a hole. 

He actually made some great cuts last season into holes that hadn`t yet opened. it was shocking.

No doubt he ran hard through attempted tackles. Yes it was a contract year, a mighty fine motivator.

chuckle. Ya he had stats showing DB was a good pass blocker too.

Donald always managed to break a couple long runs to the outside each season to distort his ypc. He was just like TRich, always running straight ahead into his lineman. Never could find a hole.

He actually made some great cuts last season into holes that hadn`t yet opened. it was shocking.

No doubt he ran hard through attempted tackles. Yes it was a contract year, a mighty fine motivator.

you are getting into all kinds of other issues that had nothing to do with what I was saying. I don't agree with your assessment, but regardless... his vision, his pass blocking, his YPC, his "distorted" stats, his face plants into line men's butts, his injuries, whatever... Not the same as "lack of effort".

I get it. You see his stats, want to through out the best parts, and claim the rest as the only important evidence. And nothing will budge you from there.

Likewise, I can't get past lack of opportunity, * poor blocking, wrong scheme, and the injury bug.

Tomato. Toe-mahhhh-toe. Let's call the whole thing off.

I'm just not buyin' that DB wasn't tryin' (until his contract year). It smacks of an unwillingness to admit previous assertions might have been wrong about DB, so another unfounded criticism is added in an attempt to validate the contempt.

I expect the same from the TR haters, even if/when he turns his game around (I'm less optimistic than I was with DB). In my family, we've referred to the tendency as the yeahbutts.

"Wow, so and so just ran for 120 yards today."

"Yeah, but..."

"So and so scored 2 TDs in the first half!"

"Yeah, but..."

"Did you see that impressive run?"

"Yeah, but..."

It doesn't really matter anyway, he had one great season then bolted for more money to another team.

We won't even know DB existed as long as Bradshaw/Ballard stays healthy.

I don't know about other fans on here but I feel like a jilted bride after watching him flounder for three

years on the roster, then leave us at the alter after having a really good year.

It doesn't really matter anyway, he had one great season then bolted for more money to another team.

I don't know about other fans on here but I feel like a jilted bride after watching him flounder for three

years on the roster, then leave us at the alter after having a really good year.

Running backs have short careers...he was right to take the money.

It's not Brown's fault that the Colts didn't even attempt to re-sign him. He bolted for money, period. The Colts offered him nothing, as far as I know.

It's not Brown's fault that the Colts didn't even attempt to re-sign him. He bolted for money, period. The Colts offered him nothing, as far as I know.

Probably because they were afraid he was going to lay down on them since this season wouldn't

be a contract year. :) We see things differently bro, no hard feelings. On to the next subject, we are

:deadhorse: here. :shake:

No kidding!

I think it was Mouthfire. He was charting all the backs.

Look at Richardson's career numbers. Last season, Donald Brown was the far superior RB, there is no way you can say otherwise. If Trent gets over his mental block and his tentativeness he has the talent to be a top RB in the league but as of last year it's Donald Brown and it's not all that close. 

FWIW, I loved Richardson at Alabama. I knew he was a better back in his true freshman year than the eventual Heisman Trophy winner, Mark Ingram. So, I do believe he can be great.

because alabama  had top o'line  . big dif then sucky colts line.

I am a Trent fan he is a Colt want to see him succeed. I am not sure he can't be the cow bell or whatever for a few years his rookie numbers weren't bad on a really bad team that had Weedan as the starting QB and Little as the #1 receiving threat. I know everyone says Mack etc but it was 9 in the box all year Weedan is probably the worst QB in the league. That being said. 

I am right there with you on not spending a high pick on a RB the guy I would have love to see us grab this yr if the trade had not been made was Terrance West. The fact of the matter is running backs are a dime a dozen. You build an O Line and with Luck and our weapons on the outside

Not a big Brown fan though pass protection is a big part of the game. He is pretty limited would be a good third down back except that pass protection thing.

because alabama  had top o'line  . big dif then sucky colts line.

No %. As I said, though, in Richardson's freshman year he was already clearly better than the heisman winner Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy (who had a great rookie season) never looked even close to as good as Richardson at Alabama.

They did not want him so they let him go. Bradshaw Richardson with knowledge of the offense and Ballard on a bad knee are all better than Donald Brown.

He was a first round pick and had 5 years to show something he had a couple of good games last year and all of a sudden he is a keeper he has 4 years of work that say otherwise. He wasn't even picked up by a team that is giving him a look as a starter he is back up material all day. He may not even see the field in SD it would appear Matthews is finally coming around and Woodhead is still there.  

I am a Trent fan he is a Colt want to see him succeed. I am not sure he can't be the cow bell or whatever for a few years his rookie numbers weren't bad on a really bad team that had Weedan as the starting QB and Little as the #1 receiving threat. I know everyone says Mack etc but it was 9 in the box all year Weedan is probably the worst QB in the league. That being said. 

I am right there with you on not spending a high pick on a RB the guy I would have love to see us grab this yr if the trade had not been made was Terrance West. The fact of the matter is running backs are a dime a dozen. You build an O Line and with Luck and our weapons on the outside

Not a big Brown fan though pass protection is a big part of the game. He is pretty limited would be a good third down back except that pass protection thing.

remember  trent was a rookie  cleveland o'line rank 9, have 3 pro bowlers on cleveland o'line .

They did not want him so they let him go. Bradshaw Richardson with knowledge of the offense and Ballard on a bad knee are all better than Donald Brown.

He was a first round pick and had 5 years to show something he had a couple of good games last year and all of a sudden he is a keeper he has 4 years of work that say otherwise. He wasn't even picked up by a team that is giving him a look as a starter he is back up material all day. He may not even see the field in SD it would appear Matthews is finally coming around and Woodhead is still there.  

Ballard is not nor was he ever better than Brown. Colts didn't re-sign Brown because they have 3 fairly cheap and good backs as is and Brown was going to demand around $3 million a year so it didn't make sense.

Grigson giving up a #1 for him was foolish

I don't know why  you give up a #1 pick for any running back. I still think Trent can be a solid player and believe his play will take a little of the sting away this year.

Terrance West is probably going to beat out poor Ben Tate he finally gets out from behind Foster to run into this kid by mid season that will be West's job I think. He went in the 3rd

remember  trent was a rookie  cleveland o'line rank 9, have 3 pro bowlers on cleveland o'line .

when you can't throw the ball it doesn't matter how good the O Line is Weedan started every game and Little was the leading receiver with 53 catches. Trent was the offense and every team knew it and he still managed decent numbers as a rookie.

We will see this year

Ballard is not nor was he ever better than Brown. Colts didn't re-sign Brown because they have 3 fairly cheap and good backs as is and Brown was going to demand around $3 million a year so it didn't make sense.

Not sure how you can say Ballard wasn't not better he started over Brown so the coaches thought he was a better back than Brown.

Brown 108 for 417  the back up

Ballard 211 for 814 the starter

Brown was a first round pick who in 5 years in the league has managed to gain 2300 yards so you are right it did not make sense to sign him

It smacks of an unwillingness to admit previous assertions might have been wrong about (a player), so another unfounded criticism is added in an attempt to validate the contempt.

This is worthy of the posting Hall of Fame. (I edited to fit all)

No %. As I said, though, in Richardson's freshman year he was already clearly better than the heisman winner Mark Ingram and Eddie Lacy (who had a great rookie season) never looked even close to as good as Richardson at Alabama.

any great rb run behind a nfl style offense at alabama  . have remember  alabama has one best o-line in college.

Not sure how you can say Ballard wasn't not better he started over Brown so the coaches thought he was a better back than Brown.

Brown 108 for 417  the back up 3.9

Ballard 211 for 814 the starter 3.9

Brown was a first round pick who in 5 years in the league has managed to gain 2300 yards so you are right it did not make sense to sign him

lmao That's the exact same YPC. Yet you think Ballard is clearly better but when I use stats from the same season that show Brown is clearly better than Richardson, you ignore them because they don't fit your biased views.

Here they are again:

Richardson -  157 for 458 2.9

Brown - 102 for 537 5.3

By the way, you keep bringing up that Brown was a 1st round pick. It doesn't matter, it's completely irrelevant to this topic.

lmao That's the exact same YPC. Yet you think Ballard is clearly better but when I use stats from the same season that show Brown is clearly better than Richardson, you ignore them because they don't fit your biased views.

Here they are again:

Richardson - 157 for 458 2.9

Brown - 102 for 537 5.3

By the way, you keep bringing up that Brown was a 1st round pick. It doesn't matter, it's completely irrelevant to this topic.

We will see at the end of their careers who the better back was Richardson or Brown.

I think we will have a pretty good idea after this year. I did not ignore last yr stats I simply pointed out Brown never had a yr close to Trent's rookie yr Since it appears ypc is the only thing you consider when judging a RB both were at 3.6 rookie yrs Trent just had 4x the yards and TD's

Ignore the circumstances he played under last yr the truth will be known this yr

We will see at the end of their careers who the better back was Richardson or Brown.

I think we will have a pretty good idea after this year. I did not ignore last yr stats I simply pointed out Brown never had a yr close to Trent's rookie yr Since it appears ypc is the only thing you consider when judging a RB both were at 3.6 rookie yrs Trent just had 4x the yards and TD's

Ignore the circumstances he played under last yr the truth will be known this yr

I hope you're right. As I said multiple times I fully believe Richardson can be great but I can't ignore last year, to do so would just be ignorant.

Gotta disagree...I have always thought Ballard was better than Brown.