Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chudzinski?

trueblueblood

I think with all the offseason craziness, a lot of us kind of forgot about him. What exactly is he here for? To help pep? Take over the offense entirely? I have no clue... What do you guys think?

He's the assistant head coach. To bring more leadership and experience to this team while helping out on offense.

I think he is here (1) To help Richardson and help Pep figure out how to fit Richardson into the system, (2) We brought him on right around the time when there was a lot of talk about Pep being offered head coaching jobs in college -- so he might be a long-term solution for OC if Pep leaves after next year for a better paying gig, (3) To help the staff make decisions around the board -- for example, D'Qwell Jackson signed from CLE just days after we hired Chud -- I bet you Pagano/Grigs/etc. all consulted with Chud before anyone put their ink to that contract.

I think he was brought in to help Pep with the offense more than anything.

With Chud helping Pep, maybe Pagano will have more time to spend with Manusky, and really rev our defense up in the top 5 or 10? :number1:

According to Pep, per EPSN, they haven't worked on offense together yet. It seems like the plan is for him to help Pagano as an assistant head coach, along with consulting with Pep on the offense. We'll see exactly how it all works out.

According to Pep, per EPSN, they haven't worked on offense together yet. It seems like the plan is for him to help Pagano as an assistant head coach, along with consulting with Pep on the offense. We'll see exactly how it all works out.

I don't get that channel, EPSN is it new? haha   Just kidding ya Superman, I been gone a while.

Yep, he is....who do you think gets Head Coach if Chuck's health goes south?

Actually, Chud is more of a 'head coach' and Chuck is more of a 'defensive coordinator'...IMHO.

No, he isn't. Just because he's the most qualified guy to take over head coaching duties does not make him head coach in waiting. Was Bruce Arians our head coach in waiting in 2012? No. He was the best qualified person to take over in the situation.

I know the offense is completely different, but Chud was credited with Cam rolling in his rookie year and looking much better than many expected. He made the system in Carolina fit Cam's strengths and did not try and put a square peg in a round hole. Some time with our offense, I feel we try to do the same thing, and Andrew is so exceptional, I hope Chud will be able to talk and work with Pep to maybe play into Andrew's strengths. He did an exceptional job with Cam in his rookie year, and that was why Cleveland hired him. I think the club loves Pep, but felt another offensive mind around Chuck could not hurt. I also think as was said earlier, if the Colts continue to win, Pep is going to go. Chud can fill the spot nicely and keep what works well.

I think the most important thing Chud brings though is continuity. If Pep does go after this season, which is possible, we can have him step in as OC. As an offense not having to continue learning new systems gets overlooked too much. Same on the defensive side. I have seen more QB's ruined by having to go through OC and system time after time. Look at the teams you would say are not stabile, and then look at turnover. Of course you can say not winning has got to lead to turnover, and no stability, but I don't really believe that. The Steelers are a really good example. Do they panic and worry when they don't win. Two seasons Tomlin has not gone to playoffs, and you don't hear a peep about his job. I think that is the way to run a franchise, and I am glad we brought Chud in. It gives us stability and continuity with Pep, or God forbid Chuck's health comes into play again.

I confess when I read that I was not at all happy.    I would've thought they would've been in rooms looking at film together for most of the off-season.

Now...   that said...   perhaps they have done that but Pep is not going to say so publicly.   He doesn't want to feel like the student and Chud is the teacher.

I know none of this, I'm only thinking out loud....

But to have someone of Chud's background and offensive expertise and not have him sit down with Pep during the off-season to talk philosophy and how best to use everyone....   just some brain-storming....    just an exchange of ideas....   to not do that seems a huge wasted opportunity to me.

I hope they have and they're just not saying so.    That would make me happier than if it never happened at all.....

I think he was brought in to help Pep with the offense more than anything.

With Chud helping Pep, maybe Pagano will have more time to spend with Manusky, and really rev our defense up in the top 5 or 10? :number1:

That is my hope too I really want this D they have been talking about....make it happen rev it up

I think he is here (1) To help Richardson and help Pep figure out how to fit Richardson into the system, (2) We brought him on right around the time when there was a lot of talk about Pep being offered head coaching jobs in college -- so he might be a long-term solution for OC if Pep leaves after next year for a better paying gig, (3) To help the staff make decisions around the board -- for example, D'Qwell Jackson signed from CLE just days after we hired Chud -- I bet you Pagano/Grigs/etc. all consulted with Chud before anyone put their ink to that contract.

I may be wrong but cleveland didn't use a ZBS. Trent is best in a ZBS. Chud didn't use him well so I don't think that applies.

I may be wrong but cleveland didn't use a ZBS. Trent is best in a ZBS. Chud didn't use him well so I don't think that applies.

This is something that I simply don't understand. Outside of Cherilus, all the linemen seem to move well in space and are suited for a ZBS but we keep trying to play man. I'm hoping a change is in order in that regard.

We had this thread awhile back when Chud was hired....I believe I posted there are only 3 or 4 teams that do not have an assistant head coach or 'special assistant.'  This is simply more football minds in the room.

I hope for better game planning (with some of our horrendous starts) and even better halftime adjustments.  The Browns fired a good man...our benefit :)

I don't see how it could have anything to do with Pep Hamilton or Trent Richardson - considering that Chudzinski is not going to have any impact on what Pep Hamilton does - if Andrew Luck doesn't want him to. And that Chudzinski is the one who got rid of Richardson in the first place. Both of those notions don't seem to pass 5 quiet seconds of contemplation.

My impression at the time of the hiring and today was-is that Pagano - who goes way back with Chudzinski -  felt he was done wrong in Cleveland. So in order to help him out personally, he brought him in and made him his special assistant - not 'assistant head coach'. And that he'll be here for a year until some college program comes calling or another NFL team really does need a position coach.

I know the offense is completely different, but Chud was credited with Cam rolling in his rookie year and looking much better than many expected. He made the system in Carolina fit Cam's strengths and did not try and put a square peg in a round hole. Some time with our offense, I feel we try to do the same thing, and Andrew is so exceptional, I hope Chud will be able to talk and work with Pep to maybe play into Andrew's strengths. He did an exceptional job with Cam in his rookie year, and that was why Cleveland hired him. I think the club loves Pep, but felt another offensive mind around Chuck could not hurt. I also think as was said earlier, if the Colts continue to win, Pep is going to go. Chud can fill the spot nicely and keep what works well.

I think the most important thing Chud brings though is continuity. If Pep does go after this season, which is possible, we can have him step in as OC. As an offense not having to continue learning new systems gets overlooked too much. Same on the defensive side. I have seen more QB's ruined by having to go through OC and system time after time. Look at the teams you would say are not stabile, and then look at turnover. Of course you can say not winning has got to lead to turnover, and no stability, but I don't really believe that. The Steelers are a really good example. Do they panic and worry when they don't win. Two seasons Tomlin has not gone to playoffs, and you don't hear a peep about his job. I think that is the way to run a franchise, and I am glad we brought Chud in. It gives us stability and continuity with Pep, or God forbid Chuck's health comes into play again.

This is exacty right. Chud was given a rookie QB who made a lot of mistakes and produced a 7th ranked offense with (5th ranked in points) in 2011 in Carolina. He changed an offense to suit a rookie QB whom needed lower complexity and was not a a good passer but could run. He had to reduce the complexity of that offense and it still ranked 7th---(on a side note, hmmm maybe there's something to less complexity as well). He also was O Coordinator in Cleveland in '07 and took Cleveland to an 8th ranking in offense (and had Derek Anderson produce 29 TD passes). Pretty impressive credentials. This was not a charity move. This was a solid coaching acquisition.