Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texan sign Fitzpatrick

Narcosys

Not sure what to expect from this. The logical thing to assume however is that Fitzpatrick is either going to be a starter this year, or he is here to tutor Manziel/Bridgewater or whatever QB we get and help smooth the transition into the pros.

My guess......They will keep Schaub and he starts next year and Fitz will be the Texans second string because starting him over Schaub makes no sense.....Its not like Fitz is much younger then Schaub with an upside. I think the Texans are way overthinking this, Just suck it up, Start Schaub, he is a good QB who went through a bad stretch last year on a team that lost many good players do to injuries, Is he a QB thats going to take you to the SB and win? No...He cracks under the pressure especially after he makes a bad play...He lets it snowball but he is much better then any QB you can get in this draft and much better then Fitz, Let him start(while possibly drafting your future QB in the 2nd-3rd round) and they will be right back in the hunt

Not sure what to expect from this. The logical thing to assume however is that Fitzpatrick is either going to be a starter this year, or he is here to tutor Manziel/Bridgewater or whatever QB we get and help smooth the transition into the pros.

If the Texans dont pick Bortles, i think they go with Clowney and use Fitz as the starter and mentor to Keenum.  Manziel i believe is going to be a bust, and Bridgewater didnt impress much with his Pro Day.  Maybe they are waiting to see who is coming out for QB in the next 2 years. 

However, since you have the first pick, now is the time to get a QB.  You know the browns always get a QB with their first pick and the jags are following suit.

My guess......They will keep Schaub and he starts next year and Fitz will be the Texans second string because starting him over Schaub makes no sense.....Its not like Fitz is much younger then Schaub with an upside. I think the Texans are way overthinking this, Just suck it up, Start Schaub, he is a good QB who went through a bad stretch last year on a team that lost many good players do to injuries, Is he a QB thats going to take you to the SB and win? No...He cracks under the pressure especially after he makes a bad play...He lets it snowball but he is much better then any QB you can get in this draft and much better then Fitz, Let him start(while possibly drafting your future QB in the 2nd-3rd round) and they will be right back in the hunt

No chance in hell Schaub starts in Houston ever again.

wth.

Okay well if your comment was somehow serious no we did not think he'd start over Luck?

I think that was the point of the original comment. He was implying that the Texans signing Fitz is like us signing Hasselbeck, because he's clearly a back up. It wasn't sarcasm exactly, just a rhetorical question. 

Personally, I don't think that this signing tells us very much. I think that the Texans will either draft Clowney and start Keenum, or draft a QB and start him. In either scenario, Fitz is the back up, so his signing seems fairly inconsequential. 

I like this signing. Fitz has been a decent starter for lousy Buffalo. I have to think O'Brien can bring him along. I could see Fitz being the starter or the back up depending on the draft. I still think the Texans take a QB first. I have to think Schaub's days are over.

No chance in hell Schaub starts in Houston ever again.

Its either Schaub or hope some rookie QB plays great right out of the gate(Or hope Keenum has improved) because if not you just have Andre Johnson running routes for exercise that he dont really need......He is already 32....If the Texans move on from Schaub your basically saying your committed to developing a QB...If Im the Texans I see if he wants to go to an automatic contender, Lots of different things to think about if the Texans go with some rookie QB or Fitzpatrick

Its either Schaub or hope some rookie QB plays great right out of the gate(Or hope Keenum has improved) because if not you just have Andre Johnson running routes for exercise that he dont really need......He is already 32....If the Texans move on from Schaub your basically saying your committed to developing a QB...If Im the Texans I see if he wants to go to an automatic contender, Lots of different things to think about if the Texans go with some rookie QB or Fitzpatrick

I think when they benched Schaub last year they were done with him. They would not have been so active on the QB front looking at different guys if he was going to be there. New coach IMO means new start.

I think when they benched Schaub last year they were done with him. They would not have been so active on the QB front looking at different guys if he was going to be there. New coach IMO means new start.

Right.......I just dont think thats the right move (speaking from a pure fan perspective, Im obviously a Colts fan but I also like talking personel strategy as well as football on field strategy)

Right.......I just dont think thats the right move (speaking from a pure fan perspective, Im obviously a Colts fan but I also like talking personel strategy as well as football on field strategy)

Really? I thought they should have moved on from Schaub some time ago and began developing a young QB. It was obvious he was never going to win them a championship.

I like the on field strategy stuff too. :)

If the Texans dont pick Bortles, i think they go with Clowney and use Fitz as the starter and mentor to Keenum.  Manziel i believe is going to be a bust, and Bridgewater didnt impress much with his Pro Day.  Maybe they are waiting to see who is coming out for QB in the next 2 years. 

However, since you have the first pick, now is the time to get a QB.  You know the browns always get a QB with their first pick and the jags are following suit.

Yeah, everyone seems high on this Bortles kid all of a sudden, and if his arm strength has improved, then he's the prototypical QB. I like Johnny and his skillset though, wouldn't mind having him here, and as long as Clowney doesn't just show up to show up I wouldn't be against drafting him either, as long as we get someone in the second or trade down. I don't think we should wait and hope for a franchise QB to fall in our lap, so you're right, the time is now to get one.

Just saw that we traded Schaub. So yeahhh...we have to get a guy first overall, unless O'Brien believes he can groom Case to be the starter.

after trading Schaub and Bortles having an excellent pro day and Bridgwater not so much, i believe Bortles will be their guy, u could make a case for Clowney but i think getting a franchise QB is a much better investment 

Some of y'all were just crazy thinking Schaub was gonna not only stay but be the starter. There was no way it was going to happen.

Fitz's signing was the true death knell for him, even though most of us knew he was already gone.

The line of thinking now is that we are going to spend a high draft pick (not 1-1 necessarily just high) on a QB and have an open competition between Keenum, Fitz, and whoever it is we draft. This scenario still leaves us the possibility of taking Clowney.

I don't expect Fitz to start, his deal looked like a backup deal all the way. But if something happened, like an injury or something, and we started winning games with him under center, I'd probably bet we'd just roll with him and see what happens.

Some of y'all were just crazy thinking Schaub was gonna not only stay but be the starter. There was no way it was going to happen.

Fitz's signing was the true death knell for him, even though most of us knew he was already gone.

The line of thinking now is that we are going to spend a high draft pick (not 1-1 necessarily just high) on a QB and have an open competition between Keenum, Fitz, and whoever it is we draft. This scenario still leaves us the possibility of taking Clowney.

I don't expect Fitz to start, his deal looked like a backup deal all the way. But if something happened, like an injury or something, and we started winning games with him under center, I'd probably bet we'd just roll with him and see what happens.

I think ya'll traded down on the pick up of Fitz and possibly trading of Schaub

Smart move.

There are no franchise qb's in this years draft.  Not by a long shot.  So don't reach by picking a quarterback with the first pick just because you need a quarterback.  Bridgewater, Bortles, Manzeil.....none of those guys are even close to being worthy of being the top overall pick.

Sign a smart, decent, veteran quarterback, and either trade that pick, or draft Clowney to pair with Watt.

I don't think this tips us off either way on what they might do. Its a back up signing regardless...who can give you some quality starts if called on. We all knew they would add a vet to protect them going forward on their draft plans or if they would bring in Mallet or someone along those lines. Who knows maybe they go after Glennon who seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle in TB...I thought he played nicely last year. I just don't think any of those qbs are worth a top 5 pick this year..kinda like last year...but they are going to go regardless. At best I can see Bortles being an Dalton type qb..that flashes good and bad. Houston has a lot of talent...they very much underachieved...and somebody will land in a good situation because I think Obrien is a good coach too.