Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who are we starting at HB?

bestQBever

It's not about production. It's about a GM trying to give his guy a chance to help him save face for making one of the dumbest trades in the past few years, easily. Grigson's destiny will ultimately be tied to that trade if it doesn't pan out and the wins stop coming

I hear you, but I don't think Grigson's future rests on whether the TRich trade works out.    Even if he flames out,  plenty of teams have drafted someone in the first round who didn't work out.    We've drafted TRich with the 26th pick in the 2014 draft, and even if it doesn't work out,  I don't think that holds Grigson's future.

But here what I think does....

The offensive line.     Especially the middle of that line.     All these fun weapons and pieces we have won't do much if the O-line can't get it together.    If Grigson -- himself a former olineman -- can't build a decent offensive line through the draft and free agency,   I think THAT will sink his future.

That's why I can't believe Costa is the ultimate answer at center.

If we can build a line,  then Luck lives up to his promise,  our receivers catch lots of passes,  and some healthy running back runs for good yards and everyone is happy.

But if Grigson fails at building an offensive line,  Heaven help the Colts and Heaven help Ryan Grigson.

Others here may disagree.......   but that's my view from 1800 miles away.....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who loves Ahmad Bradshaw.....

If you want him to be productive for the Colts,  I don't think you want him to be the starter getting the most touches.   He literally can't hold up for 16 games if he gets that job.

But.....   he might be able to hold up if he gets the Donald Brown spot.   The change of pace RB.   The guy who will get 10-12 touches instead of 16-20.    That might work out really well for Bradshaw.

But if you make him the starter, I think it's counter productive for everyone...   the Colts and Brown.....

Just my opinion,  and, as always,  your mileage may vary....

It's not about production. It's about a GM trying to give his guy a chance to help him save face for making one of the dumbest trades in the past few years, easily. Grigson's destiny will ultimately be tied to that trade if it doesn't pan out and the wins stop coming

You must have missed the playoffs.. (I'm kidding, sorta, you know what I mean!). 

You very may well be right, but the metric as far as I understand it in the NFL is production. I don't think Grigson will be attached to anything more than drafting Luck, honestly. If Ballard and Bradshaw are more productive, I think they'll get the work ultimately, but Richardson is going to get the looks early, for sure.

For those who loves Ahmad Bradshaw.....

If you want him to be productive for the Colts,  I don't think you want him to be the starter getting the most touches.   He literally can't hold up for 16 games if he gets that job.

But.....   he might be able to hold up if he gets the Donald Brown spot.   The change of pace RB.   The guy who will get 10-12 touches instead of 16-20.    That might work out really well for Bradshaw.

But if you make him the starter, I think it's counter productive for everyone...   the Colts and Brown.....

Just my opinion,  and, as always,  your mileage may vary....

Sorry.....   brain fart!

That should read the Colts and Bradshaw....   (not Brown!  DOH!!!)

Richardson was nfl top 100 coming out of his rookie season. And the best prospect since Peterson when he was drafted, at least according to the same experts and draft books saying this is the best. deepest draft evah.

Give the guy training camp and preseason. If he fails to impress we have Ballard and Bradshaw. And Richarson will be in the exact same place as Brown was coming out of training camp last season.

That's a tough one.  Honestly I think they will rotate a lot.

I like the idea of Bradshaw being the 3rd down back or something.  Ideally he would start because when healthy he's the best back by far.  But perhaps because of his injury problems we would be better served by limiting his snaps so we can preserve him for the playoffs.  

I would think the starter would be Trent but our problem is as a team we start slow, so I think it would be better for the team if Bradshaw starts and gets the team going! So, I think Bradshaw should start at least the first three drives then he transitions to 3RB and Ballard and Richardson split carries. And Ballard should play any overtime games we have.  :thmup:

Richardson will be seeing the field plenty, i promise you that

Only if he's productive.  The advantage that the coaches have is 10 games that they had with TRich.  It won't take long to figure out if TRich's troubles this season were a result of no off season and training camp in this system.   If Bradshaw is healthy, the Colts will monitor his carries as a precaution (I hope). Ballard is a wildcard IMO coming off the injury.  Unless you Adrian Peterson, its year 2 that most are fully recovered. I worried that without Donald Brown, we could end up with TRich getting way too many carries as a result

Ballard should start but its whichever back that's hot that will get the reps. 

I think Bradshaw could be a huge pickup that was largely ignored by everyone.  He needs to stay on the field but hopefully a year off really did him some good.    I definitely think the Colts have a good group of running backs and should surprise a lot of people next season.

I hear you, but I don't think Grigson's future rests on whether the TRich trade works out.    Even if he flames out,  plenty of teams have drafted someone in the first round who didn't work out.    We've drafted TRich with the 26th pick in the 2014 draft, and even if it doesn't work out,  I don't think that holds Grigson's future.

But here what I think does....

The offensive line.     Especially the middle of that line.     All these fun weapons and pieces we have won't do much if the O-line can't get it together.    If Grigson -- himself a former olineman -- can't build a decent offensive line through the draft and free agency,   I think THAT will sink his future.

That's why I can't believe Costa is the ultimate answer at center.

If we can build a line,  then Luck lives up to his promise,  our receivers catch lots of passes,  and some healthy running back runs for good yards and everyone is happy.

But if Grigson fails at building an offensive line,  Heaven help the Colts and Heaven help Ryan Grigson.

Others here may disagree.......   but that's my view from 1800 miles away.....

In what time frame do you assign all this pressure to build an O-line and how do we measure the its successful arrival?  Are we successful when the message board faithful are satisfied with the results?  Not trying to be argumentative - you know I value your perspectives, but I'm admittedly weary of the ghost chasing propaganda regarding the O-line that is so prevalent around here.

Most teams in the NFL are struggling to build a solid O-line, and most are also repeat offenders just like the Colts.

Trent was traded for a first round pick.  He will get every single chance he can get to be the starter.  Trent will start the season off as the starter and if he struggles will probably be replaced by either Ballard or Bradshaw.

Colts wont make that mistake again.  They played Trent waaaaay too long at starter trying to make the trade pan out. If all three are good that's great but they wont force Trent this season.

Colts wont make that mistake again.  They played Trent waaaaay too long at starter trying to make the trade pan out. If all three are good that's great but they wont force Trent this season.

Everything we have heard is we need to improve the offensive line and that was part of the struggles.  Trent will be the starter week 1 with this upgraded offensive line. He may have a shorter leash this year, but Grigs invested a first round pick in him.  He will get every chance possible to be the starter.  

Hard to believe there are still soooooo many people on here that think Mr. snail Richardson will be magically better than he was last year. This guy totally sucked last year, and for all you dreamers out there I got news for you, he's not going be any better this season. Just because he was good in college does not mean a darn thing when it comes to the NFL, and just because he was a number 1 draft pick that does not guarantee anything. This so-called runner is SLOW, slow to the hole slow with his cuts and he's only going to hurt us when he's on the field. If he had been a 7th round pick he would have been cut already!

^^^^^^^Luckyblue  Yeah I find it hard to believe too.  Trent's finish to the 2013 season was a nightmare.  Not a little disappointing either more like a liability every time he was on the field.  Brown and Addai were disappointing Trent was something else.

We had the same amount invested in him in 2013 when he lost his job and barely played down the stretch.

We did not have Richardson to work with at all last off season. Our coaches/GM have expressed their optimism about Richardson even with his short comings last season. Keep in mind this isn't necessarily a reflection of what I'd do but just what I feel the FO will try and do.