Bravo

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is just a simply misguided notion.

Let me ask you - when Wilson and Kaepernick contract's are up, what do you think the Niners and Hawks will do? Let them walk and rebuild in the fashion you suggest or pay them?

The answer is very clearly pay them. Why do you think that is? Because it is the most important position in sports and the one position most responsible for a team winning. If you do not have a QB, you have nothing. This new model you keep yammering on and on about is nothing close to a new model.

It would be interesting if the 49ers decide to let Kaep walk and bring in another QB on his rookie scale to keep the rest of the team intact. I doubt it will happen yet but I think within a few years this could be a model for getting back to the SB quickly.

I don't think there is a major need right now at WR, but there could be soon depending on how much longer Reggie will last. My question is how much $ do you think Julian Edelman will be looking for if he's not resigned by the pats? If we could get him at a decent price I wouldn't mind looking into it. I think TY, Rogers, Whalen, Brazil, and Edelman would be a great group of WR's after Reggie is gone.

It would be interesting if the 49ers decide to let Kaep walk and bring in another QB on his rookie scale to keep the rest of the team intact. I doubt it will happen yet but I think within a few years this could be a model for getting back to the SB quickly.

You failed to answer the question.

What will they do - pay them or them walk?

You have to ask yourself why a rebuilding team would trade their number three pick for a low round draft pick. The reason was that they already knew what Richardson was and what he lacked. Now, if you want to argue that they should never have spent the number three pick on a running back at all, I would agree with that. The fact is that just about any back late in the draft or available would be an improvement over Richardson. I will give you that we go two years out of Davis but second round picks are precious and I think we would be better off with those picks than the player we wound up with.

They traded him because they were loading up on picks and they knew that having an offense based on an all pro talented RB with no QB is not the way to go so they shopped him despite drafting him 3rd overall and already paying like 3/4s of his rookie contract. Sure drafting a RB that high is iffy, but the talent and hype TR had coming out of Bama it was expected of him to go high and he produced very darn well in CLE despite having broken ribs and being their entire O. Sure he flopped here last year but I feel his blame is partial at most in his lack of production. 

As for Vontae we got him with 2 years left on his rookie contract and will have him locked up long term officially tomorrow. A player of his talent is worth far more than the 2nd we gave up for him.

Decker had 11 TDs and 1,288 yards in 2013.

Wayne had 503 yards and 2 TDs in 2013.

Not sure if we are living in the same universe . . .

Decker also played in a record setting offense with D. Thomas, J. Thomas, and W. Welker opening up the field for him. I agree that he is a #2 WR who will get #1 money simply because his FA occurred at the opportune time. I'd take him at 5-6 per year.....not 8-10 though.

They traded him because they were loading up on picks and they knew that having an offense based on an all pro talented RB with no QB is not the way to go so they shopped him despite drafting him 3rd overall and already paying like 3/4s of his rookie contract. Sure drafting a RB that high is iffy, but the talent and hype TR had coming out of Bama it was expected of him to go high and he produced very darn well in CLE despite having broken ribs and being their entire O. Sure he flopped here last year but I feel his blame is partial at most in his lack of production.

That makes zero sense. Let's trade a runningback we just drafted with a 3rd over all pick and two other picks because we will be in better shape if we pay 3/4 of his salary and only get a fraction of what we paid just a season before. Sure he is awesome and one of the best in the league but we really covet those late round draft picks and dont mind paying him to be awesome somewhere else.

The very best they could have gotten out of the deal was a mid-round pick.

If you wanted to stockpile picks and you thought Richardson is great but just not a good fit for your rebuilding process then why not let him play out the current season and profit more off his greatness.

If you are building a team and you have a great player already on the roster are you gonna take a pick thats way later then the player was drafted and chance your rebuild on an unproven rookie or will you stick with the great player you already have ? Are you gonna do this after the player has only been on the team for 1 season ?

The Browns didnt like what he showed them and they took what they could get to lessen the blow, thats the only way to explain the trade.

You failed to answer the question.

What will they do - pay them or them walk?

I said that I doubted it would happen that they let them walk. I think that answers the question. I also think signing them will bring both of those teams back to the rest of the NFL and it will be rare if they make Super Bowl runs. Just like the Colts.

I said that I doubted it would happen that they let them walk. I think that answers the question. I also think signing them will bring both of those teams back to the rest of the NFL and it will be rare if they make Super Bowl runs. Just like the Colts.

So these teams, who business is to win, feel the best way to that end is to keep their franchise QB's? Doesn't sound like a brave new world to build an NFL team.

I am and I like Luck as much as you all do. I also thought at the time it was a no brainer to draft him. But after seeing how the 49ers, Ravens and Seahawks got to the Super Bowl, I think the day of taking the QB first is a thing of the past. I am watching Houston closely to see who they draft. I'm betting they take Clowney or trade down and take a QB on the second or third round. That will be a very dangerous team for years to come and they will play with a QB on his rookie contract and they will be able to keep a good line and defense around him. We are already feeling the Andrew Luck penny pinch now.

post-655-0-47150900-1394420996_thumb.jpg

I just don't think he's very good. Over the last two years I saw him dropping quite a few key passes and yelling at the tv screen that this guy is over rated and a product of Manning. I really, REALLY do not want my beloved Colts wasting dough on this guy. I'd much rather them put the money elsewhere and worry about getting Fleener more involved.

Maybe it's just me, but I say just say no to a Decker!

If Decker were coming cheap then I definitely be all for the signing but at the money that he will probably want its a definite NO from me!! I'd like to think that Grigson would rather shell out money on the trenches or positions of more pressing needs and then addressing Wide Receiver in the draft where we can get a WR cheap!

We have to accept that Reggie may not come back 100% and is in his final days anyway...

Decker would be an outstanding addition........at maybe $32 mil for 4 years

I think as a positive and TRUE Colts fan - your statement is ridiculous.

Why not focus on REGGIE recovering like Adrian Peterson. Give him the benefit of the doubt and give us all a break with the negativity.

Reggie is not Marvin.

Just because Marvin couldn't come back - that means nothing on the Reggie front.  Why start spreading the bad news - which is exactly what you are doing - when at this point - there isn't any.

Sheeeeesh.....

I dont see the pressing need to spend big on any receiver at this point. Yes it would be nice to have a replacement for Reggie waiting in the wings, but there are more pressing needs right now.

If Luck doesnt have a strong line then he isnt gonna be able to utilize a receivers full talent.

If we dont have a defense that can stop the run and get the other teams offense off the field then any receiver is gonna be useless.

Work on the defense and the offensive line, because a good QB can make a mediocre receiver look good if he is on the field and has time.

Decker isnt a once in a generation talent, nobody is gonna go to the Superbowl just by having him on their team.

Why not focus on REGGIE recovering like Adrian Peterson. Give him the benefit of the doubt and give us all a break with the negativity.

Reggie is not Marvin.

Just because Marvin couldn't come back - that means nothing on the Reggie front.  Why start spreading the bad news - which is exactly what you are doing - when at this point - there isn't any.

Sheeeeesh.....

AGE!!!!

So while I kinda agree with Beauregard (I just threw up in my mouth a little as I typed that) about the reasons teams have been succeeding lately, I'm not inclined to agree with his conclusions.  Yes, Seattle won by addressing the trenches and drafting a QB late, but not because of their "strategy" of drafting Wilson in the 3rd vs. the Colts picking Luck first overall.  QB is still by far the most critical position in the game.

Some of you might recognize my consistent rant here:  It is all about VALUE.

Right now, the Seahawk roster is brimming with guys outperforming their draft position and/or their contracts.  That comes from a delicate dance between outstanding talent evaluation and blind luck.  Every team strives for it, but if it was as easy as Beauregarde suggests, the NFL would ALWAYS have the parity it so desperately craves. 

We as fans have the distinct advantage of hindsight, but let us not mistake that for any real sense of how to evaluate player talent or put a team in position to get a little lucky.  Even the best in the NFL isn't as good or as consistent as Beauregarde believes himself to be.

IMO, the Colts have done a remarkable job of striking that balance.  They were nowhere near the team Seattle was 2 years ago, and they've come a long way towards bridging the gap in the meantime.

As for the OP, I am not yet convinced we are set at WR, and I personally think Decker is a very good player.  But he strikes me as too expensive for what he would bring (ie. NOT A GOOD VALUE).  I agree someone will pay him big bucks, but don't expect it to be the Colts.

Decker is durable, and reliable and a perfect fit for us.....The lack of football acumen on this site is ridiculous sometimes ...If you want good players you have to pay for them! The cap is going to go up 20 million in the next 2 years and Reggie was already slowing down before the injury ..

WE WILL STILL HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY TO RESIGN OUR GUYS NEXT 2 YEARS ...We resign Vontae, sign Decker, Byrd, Saffold or EDS, Cody, and McCluster and draft defense we are Super Bowl favorites in AFC...You don't win super bowls picking mediocre players off the scap heap! We need PROVEN commodities

We have the 2 little speed guys in Hilton and Brazill...We have Wayne assuming he recovers and Whalen for the slot..We have the high ceiling potential #1 in Rogers who still needs a few years to get polished ...What we need is the big reliable receiver to make the tough catches over the middle and that's exactly what Decker is and he is proven and a high character guy who will fit in perfectly here..

We have the 2 little speed guys in Hilton and Brazill...We have Wayne assuming he recovers and Whalen for the slot..We have the high ceiling potential #1 in Rogers who still needs a few years to get polished ...What we need is the big reliable receiver to make the tough catches over the middle and that's exactly what Decker is and he is proven and a high character guy who will fit in perfectly here..

I think there are many on here who would agree with you about his skillset, and about the team's need for that skillset. 

HOWEVER, a simple cost-benefit analysis suggests Decker will NOT become a Colt, simply because he is going to be too expensive for the value he would bring to the team.  Grigson's brief history with the team seems to underscore that he is a "hunt for value uber alles" kind of GM.

I think there are many on here who would agree with you about his skillset, and about the team's need for that skillset.

HOWEVER, a simple cost-benefit analysis suggests Decker will NOT become a Colt, simply because he is going to be too expensive for the value he would bring to the team. Grigson's brief history with the team seems to underscore that he is a "hunt for value uber alles" kind of GM.

Exactly, and if we are going to spend money I'd rather build the trenches on both sides. Skill positions to me is a luxury.

Reggie will be 36 in the middle of the upcoming season....Peterson turns 29 later this month.  7 years is a lifetime in football age and can factor a lot into recovery.

I hope Reggie comes back, but there is no guarantees, and if he if does....how many years is he going to be a #1 receiver?  

Rogers and Brazil combined for 26 catches and 350 yards last season.  They have  talent, but they are a long way from a sure thing #1/#2 receiver.

We have the money to build the trenches and sign a receiver and safety! We can get Saffold or EDS for the o- line...We can get a Cody for NT..

WE can draft defense!

Hughes and Chapman and Werner will be better!

Thornton and Nixon will be better! Thomas will be back.

We can sign Decker, Davis, Byrd and still have $$ for the lines!

Contracts will be coming off the books and cap will go up 20 million next 2 years ..

IF the cap eas gonna stay the same your $$ points would be valid but it's going WAY up

Unlike Coach Nice Guy , competition was encouraged and the best players were rewarded with playing time. If Pagano would've just benched satele, our line would be viewed differently.

Oh look it's this nonsense again.  Satele was on the verge of being benched last year but then McGlynn got hurt.  David Reed was brought in, given a chance, benched and then cut.  Cassius Vaughn was brought in, given a chance and then benched.  DHB was brought in, given a chance, but then benched and relegated to ST's.  I'm not seeing this "nice guy that's too afraid to bench one of 'his guys' "

Oh look it's this nonsense again. Satele was on the verge of being benched last year but then McGlynn got hurt. David Reed was brought in, given a chance, benched and then cut. Cassius Vaughn was brought in, given a chance and then benched. DHB was brought in, given a chance, but then benched and relegated to ST's. I'm not seeing this "nice guy that's too afraid to bench one of 'his guys' "

Most of those decisions were made after the offense started to stall when Reggie went down. TY Hilton shouldve started after training camp. He outplayed his competition. Satele started in the playoffs, and McGlynn stayed at guard. So what season were u watching? They were both healthy enough to play an no changes were nade to the line. They start the guys that make tge the most money. Pete Carroll does not. Thats the biggest difference between the two offensive lines imo

grigs should be fired if he does that

$32 million for four years for Decker? That would be a bargain and the Colts should jump all over that. I think he will be offered more than that and a longer contract. He would be the best WR on the Colts roster immediately.

$32 million for four years for Decker? That would be a bargain and the Colts should jump all over that. I think he will be offered more than that and a longer contract. He would be the best WR on the Colts roster immediately.

Reggie is a superior player to Decker until he shows otherwise

Reggie is a superior player to Decker until he shows otherwise

Not at his age. You are dealing from emotion, not logic. If Reggie makes it back at all it will probably only be for a year at most. Decker is 26, with a good record and good character. I have loved Reggie too. I am not sure he will even be a semi-productive starter next year. I hope and pray that he is but my logical mind screams at me that it is very unlikely.

Not at his age. You are dealing from emotion, not logic. If Reggie makes it back at all it will probably only be for a year at most. Decker is 26, with a good record and good character. I have loved Reggie too. I am not sure he will even be a semi-productive starter next year. I hope and pray that he is but my logical mind screams at me that it is very unlikely.

Reggie will be fine.