Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Majority "NO" to Decker

Bravo

Most of those decisions were made after the offense started to stall when Reggie went down. TY Hilton shouldve started after training camp. He outplayed his competition. Satele started in the playoffs, and McGlynn stayed at guard. So what season were u watching? They were both healthy enough to play an no changes were nade to the line. They start the guys that make tge the most money. Pete Carroll does not. Thats the biggest difference between the two offensive lines imo

DHB was a far better blocker than TY and that's why he got the starts.  TY still saw plenty of play time except for the first game against the Raiders.  And yes, McGlynn played in the playoffs, but was coming off a broken thumb.  I don't remember what week it was but it was towards the latter part of the season, Pagano was asked about Satele and instead of giving his usual ringing endorsement, he said he was going to look at the situation and do what was best for the team.  That's the same thing he said the week before DHB was benched.  That tells me Satele would have been benched that next week but I believe that was the week McGlynn broke his thumb.  That or someone else got hurt that meant we had to keep McGlynn at OG.  I don't remember exactly just that an injury happened that forced them to keep McGlynn at OG and Satele at C.

Also, doesn't the fact that they just cut Satele tell you something?  If he was one of their favorites, he would still be here.  Just because you and/or a few others think that X player outperformed Y player doesn't mean the coaches saw the same things in practice throughout the week.  I have zero reason to believe that the coaches are using any type of favoritism or contract details in determining who starts and who doesn't.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reggie will be fine.

Again, that is your heart talking not your head. I hope he will be too but I do not expect him to be the Reggie we all knew. Father time gets all of us. He might not have been the same this year without the injury. Decker is young and healthy and probably still has some upside.

Again, that is your heart talking not your head. I hope he will be too but I do not expect him to be the Reggie we all knew. Father time gets all of us. He might not have been the same this year without the injury. Decker is young and healthy and probably still has some upside.

Not a ten million a year upside

Not a ten million a year upside

I think the market will prove you wrong. How about $40 million for five years? Is he worth $8 million per year or do you apply any logic on his worth at all and you just aren't interested in seeing him become a Colt and consigning Reggie Wayne to retirement?

I think the market will prove you wrong. How about $40 million for five years? Is he worth $8 million per year or do you apply any logic on his worth at all and you just aren't interested in seeing him become a Colt and consigning Reggie Wayne to retirement?

I wouldn't mind him coming in to compete for the number two spot

I have been wondering for some time why sooo many people are against us getting decker?

From what I saw last year this guy can make some plays. He has shown hands recently and is reliable! No he does not excel in a certain thing but he is solid at everything. Peyton Manning makes every receiver look better but believe it or not so does Andrew Luck!!

I know there have been many post on this but I really want to know why everyone is so against it! I'm okay with the signing and I want everyone to convince me why I shouldn't be.

I don't want him because he drops too many passes. We've had way too much of that the last few years. Also, whenever he can't catch a pass he cries to the ref's for a PI flag. All this for the amount of money he'll want doesn't make much sense to me.

So, you are going to make Hilton the number one now? Of course he would be in a competition. That is the way the NFL works. They aren't going to give him anything but the opportunity.

Why does there have to be a clear cut number one? New England didn't have one when they ran a dual TE attack. I think the combination of Wayne (slowed or not) Hilton, Allen, Brazill, Fleener and Rogers is more than enough firepower for Luck. When he ran this same offense at Stanford, he set school records without a true number one, either. You could argue it was Fleener, the TE. Like I said, the infatuation with skill players every off-season is a sure fire way to field a loser. I wouldn't be mad if every off-season move made this year was solely O and D line, draft included, because we sorely need them both upgraded immediately. Screw another receiver. Decker can go be a free agent bust for someone else. We want Super Bowls

Why does there have to be a clear cut number one? New England didn't have one when they ran a dual TE attack. I think the combination of Wayne (slowed or not) Hilton, Allen, Brazill, Fleener and Rogers is more than enough firepower for Luck. When he ran this same offense at Stanford, he set school records without a true number one, either. You could argue it was Fleener, the TE. Like I said, the infatuation with skill players every off-season is a sure fire way to field a loser. I wouldn't be mad if every off-season move made this year was solely O and D line, draft included, because we sorely need them both upgraded immediately. Screw another receiver. Decker can go be a free agent bust for someone else. We want Super Bowls

You are reading my mind or you have paid close attention to what I say every offseason. :thmup:  I get so sick of most Colts fans clamoring for skill players and especially WR's every yr.. It's embarrassing and stupid considering that having great skill players pretty much got us nothing for yrs. here with the best QB to ever play the game. I don't know when Colts fans are gonna learn that great teams are built in the trenches and not with a bunch of skill guys that can't do their job because our lines freaking suck every yr..

I agree the focus and priority needs to be on the trenches.  I agree they both desperately need to be improved.  And I agree that Decker needs to go elsewhere.  I wouldn't even be upset if that ends up being the extent of it.

But I completely disagree with any argument that receiver NEEDS TO just be ignored this year.

Even if you want to believe Rogers will develop into a 1 or 2 down the road (not sure I'm there yet, with his sloppy and sometimes lazy route running), there is miles of room for improvement over the tail end of the Colts roster.  Brazill and Whalen haven't shown they can be anything more than serviceable, and are VERY replaceable.

He isn't going to be a bust and they Colts may never get to a Super Bowl in Luck's playing career. If they are, they had better be doing it in the next ten years because then there will not be any money for free agents. I agree with you in general but the Colts are weak at WR. They lack depth and they are counting on a full return to form by Reggie Wayne which may or may not happen. I don't care if they take Decker or not but in free agency you get about what you pay for.

Seemingly....NEVEEERRRRRRRR.

You are reading my mind or you have paid close attention to what I say every offseason. :thmup:  I get so sick of most Colts fans clamoring for skill players and especially WR's every yr.. It's embarrassing and stupid considering that having great skill players pretty much got us nothing for yrs. here with the best QB to ever play the game. I don't know when Colts fans are gonna learn that great teams are built in the trenches and not with a bunch of skill guys that can't do their job because our lines freaking suck every yr..

Because it isn't true. What is true is that it takes a balanced mix. I can't see the Colts paying for major upgrades on the O-line or defense. They are short two draft picks. Just where are these players going to come from? Vince Wilfork may be available, would you be happy with him for some huge price.

I agree the focus and priority needs to be on the trenches. I agree they both desperately need to be improved. And I agree that Decker needs to go elsewhere. I wouldn't even be upset if that ends up being the extent of it.

But I completely disagree with any argument that receiver NEEDS TO just be ignored this year.

Even if you want to believe Rogers will develop into a 1 or 2 down the road (not sure I'm there yet, with his sloppy and sometimes lazy route running), there is miles of room for improvement over the tail end of the Colts roster. Brazill and Whalen haven't shown they can be anything more than serviceable, and are VERY replaceable.

I would rather completely ignore receiver this off-season if the alternative is to overspend on one in free agency or use a high pick in a draft where we're already down a 1st round pick. I'm more than content to roll with the guys we have right now. Receiver should not be a top priority this off-season. I'm cool with a low key acquisition for depth or a mid to late round draft pick being used. Other than that, I feel it's a splurge at this point. Lets splurge on the Benz and Beamers after we have a house to sleep in and a garage to park it in

I don't want him because he drops too many passes. We've had way too much of that the last few years. Also, whenever he can't catch a pass he cries to the ref's for a PI flag. All this for the amount of money he'll want doesn't make much sense to me.

He doesn't drop that many passes unlike DHB and he makes some great catches. Running down Deckard doesn't make your point it shows that you have another agenda and don't want the Colts to have any first class receivers. Luck is in for a very long, boring career with no one to throw to. Believe me that Indy receiver core is very weak and if Reggie has slipped any, it will be very serious. I guess you forgot the struggles that occurred when Wayne got hurt last year.

Seemingly....NEVEEERRRRRRRR.

Because it isn't true. What is true is that it takes a balanced mix. I can't see the Colts paying for major upgrades on the O-line or defense. They are short two draft picks. Just where are these players going to come from? Vince Wilfork may be available, would you be happy with him for some huge price.

Of course it takes balance but a lot of fans don't understand that we can't go out and waste 10 mil a yr. on a #2 reciever and still build balance where the team actually needs it. There are a lot more available guys than just Wilfork too that would be far more beneficial for our team than Decker would be. 

Of course it takes balance but a lot of fans don't understand that we can't go out and waste 10 mil a yr. on a #2 reciever and still build balance where the team actually needs it. There are a lot more available guys than just Wilfork too that would be far more beneficial for our team than Decker would be. 

I don't dispute that but I won't be upset if the team signs either Deckard or Nicks. If they don't, they will have to draft a WR and those picks might be better used for what you want. Too bad we are missing two of them. Mendenhall just retired in Arizona and he was 26. He would be better than Richardson right now.

He isn't going to be a bust and they Colts may never get to a Super Bowl in Luck's playing career. If they are, they had better be doing it in the next ten years because then there will not be any money for free agents. I agree with you in general but the Colts are weak at WR. They lack depth and they are counting on a full return to form by Reggie Wayne which may or may not happen. I don't care if they take Decker or not but in free agency you get about what you pay for.

Our receiving core was good enough to win us a playoff game without Reggie or Allen. I'm more than confident in that same core, plus those aforementioned players, with another off-season under their belts, mind you. Receiver was not a weakness last year; coaching was. DHB had no business starting, and Pagano was insistant on slamming Richardson into McGlynn and Satele's back over and over again until we had no other choice but to throw because of the holes we put ourselves in. Once Pep threw out the old playbook and installed the shotgun, short passing game, the offense magically started clicking. Like I said, our receivers are fine for next year, so long as we actually throw the ball

Our receiving core was good enough to win us a playoff game without Reggie or Allen. I'm more than confident in that same core, plus those aforementioned players, with another off-season under their belts, mind you. Receiver was not a weakness last year; coaching was. DHB had no business starting, and Pagano was insistant on slamming Richardson into McGlynn and Satele's back over and over again until we had no other choice but to throw because of the holes we put ourselves in. Once Pep threw out the old playbook and installed the shotgun, short passing game, the offense magically started clicking. Like I said, our receivers are fine for next year, so long as we actually throw the ball

All of that is very simplistic and you act like Pagano and Pep didn't care about winning. Yes, you won a playoff game but the Colts QB threw three interceptions. The Colts receivers are very anemic and that WILL be addressed whether you like it or not either in free agency or with the second round draft choice that needs to be spent on O-line or defense. We are going to pay a huge price for losing those two draft picks. The Texans are picking at the top of every round and unless the Colts do something dramatic in free agency, I see them coming back and challenging the Colts for the division title. They have better pieces in place. Yes, they need a QB but we have been seeing teams get to the SB and win without fantastic QBs for the last two years. The Colts elected to draft Luck (that was the prevalent theory for a championship team at the time) but they have had so many holes that while he has let them to two good records, they might start turning the other way and certainly will in two years when he takes a huge bite out of the salary cap. Seattle and San Francisco may get another SB or two while that is all happening.

We should probably just go ahead and give the Texans their Super Bowl rings now and save time on the 2014 season.

No, but they have a tremendous advantage if they are being observant. While we try to surround Luck with the talent we already should have had when we drafted him, they have a very solid team with seven good draft picks and the knowledge that signing a franchise QB is not the only path to the Super Bowl. It is our path and we must make it work. I hope the management is up to the task. I will be watching to see if the formula that seems to be in play works yet again.

All of that is very simplistic and you act like Pagano and Pep didn't care about winning. Yes, you won a playoff game but the Colts QB threw three interceptions. The Colts receivers are very anemic and that WILL be addressed whether you like it or not either in free agency or with the second round draft choice that needs to be spent on O-line or defense. We are going to pay a huge price for losing those two draft picks. The Texans are picking at the top of every round and unless the Colts do something dramatic in free agency, I see them coming back and challenging the Colts for the division title. They have better pieces in place. Yes, they need a QB but we have been seeing teams get to the SB and win without fantastic QBs for the last two years. The Colts elected to draft Luck (that was the prevalent theory for a championship team at the time) but they have had so many holes that while he has let them to two good records, they might start turning the other way and certainly will in two years when he takes a huge bite out of the salary cap. Seattle and San Francisco may get another SB or two while that is all happening.

"You"??? Shouldn't that be "we?".... I think we have a rival fan posing as a Colts fan here, ladies and gentlemen.

And you sound foolish speaking in absolutes. None of us knows what the front office will do, so you can stop with the "whether you like it or not" talk

No, but they have a tremendous advantage if they are being observant. While we try to surround Luck with the talent we already should have had when we drafted him, they have a very solid team with seven good draft picks and the knowledge that signing a franchise QB is not the only path to the Super Bowl. It is our path and we must make it work. I hope the management is up to the task. I will be watching to see if the formula that seems to be in play works yet again.

The same Texans that won 2 games last year? Yep sounds like they are just a marginal qb away from greatness

No, but they have a tremendous advantage if they are being observant. While we try to surround Luck with the talent we already should have had when we drafted him, they have a very solid team with seven good draft picks and the knowledge that signing a franchise QB is not the only path to the Super Bowl. It is our path and we must make it work. I hope the management is up to the task. I will be watching to see if the formula that seems to be in play works yet again.

Having an inferior QB is an advantage?

Remember, this awesome team that has your heart all a flutter went 2-14 last year.

"You"??? Shouldn't that be "we?".... I think we have a rival fan posing as a Colts fan here, ladies and gentlemen.

And you sound foolish speaking in absolutes. None of us knows what the front office will do, so you can stop with the "whether you like it or not" talk

Not at all, just a Colts fan who has a poor habit of using unfortunate pronouns when he disagrees with someone. I am a fan of Peyton Manning but not of the Denver Broncos. I hope that is acceptable. OK, I'll restate, I think the front office is good enough to know that they need to address the problem at wide receiver and they will if you think that is not the way to go. I hope that is better. I will also try to say we whenever I am referring to the Colts. Not doing so is a habit I want to break and it has been mentioned to me before.

Having an inferior QB is an advantage?

Remember, this awesome team that has your heart all a flutter went 2-14 last year.

They won't be 2-14 this coming year. You had better hope that they are not 12-4 and winning the division. Yes, I think they are poised to make a major move this year. A full draft of picking from the top of every round will help. I think they will find a serviceable QB who can manage the game ala Russell Wilson.

The same Texans that won 2 games last year? Yep sounds like they are just a marginal qb away from greatness

This is what is funny to me. Some act as if all the Texans need is a QB to be great. Great teams DO NOT lose 14 out of 16 games because they are short a good QB. If they were even remotely close to being as great as some make them out to be, they would have easily won 7-8 games last season with their mediocre QB. The Texans are not nearly as good or as close to be being a top team as many think they are.

They won't be 2-14 this coming year. You had better hope that they are not 12-4 and winning the division. Yes, I think they are poised to make a major move this year. A full draft of picking from the top of every round will help. I think they will find a serviceable QB who can manage the game ala Russell Wilson.

1). Who?

2). Russell Wilson is more than a "game manager."

This is what is funny to me. Some act as if all the Texans need is a QB to be great. Great teams DO NOT lose 14 out of 16 games because they are short a good QB. If they were even remotely close to be as great as some make them out to be, they would have easily won 7-8 games last season with their mediocre QB. The Texans are not nearly as good or as close to be being a top team as many think they are.

Isn't that exactly what the Colts did? Houston is in much better shape with a good and possibly great defense and a new coach who should give them a shot in the arm too.

Isn't that exactly what the Colts did? Houston is in much better shape with a good and possibly great defense and a new coach who should give them a shot in the arm too.

This is exactly my point. The Colts weren't a great team when they went 2-14. They were utter trash without Manning. That team sucked just about as bad as you can suck. Granted the Texans are better than that Colts team was, but they are not nearly as good as many make them out to be. Even with a good QB next season, I don't see them competing for the division at all.

He doesn't drop that many passes unlike DHB and he makes some great catches. Running down Deckard doesn't make your point it shows that you have another agenda and don't want the Colts to have any first class receivers. Luck is in for a very long, boring career with no one to throw to. Believe me that Indy receiver core is very weak and if Reggie has slipped any, it will be very serious. I guess you forgot the struggles that occurred when Wayne got hurt last year.

Do a google search for Decker's drop rate and tell me again how I'm so biased. Also, I never said we shouldn't sign another WR, just not this overpriced, not so sure handed, cry baby one.