Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Majority "NO" to Decker

Bravo

I have been wondering for some time why sooo many people are against us getting decker?

From what I saw last year this guy can make some plays. He has shown hands recently and is reliable! No he does not excel in a certain thing but he is solid at everything. Peyton Manning makes every receiver look better but believe it or not so does Andrew Luck!!

I know there have been many post on this but I really want to know why everyone is so against it! I'm okay with the signing and I want everyone to convince me why I shouldn't be.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand the money part.... But he is arguably going to be the best WR FA.. Of course he is going to want a lot of $$$ maybe he would take a slight pay cut to play for a great team like the Colts. (Doubt it) just a thought! Also I like Nicks but health has hurt the Colts so bad in the past... I would be nervous. I wouldn't mind it though!

I think people are crazy for not being interested in Decker (at the right price).

Wayne is coming off of major surgery and is only getting older.

T.Y. Hilton is a smaller guy.  So is Whalen.  Rogers is young but suffered from poor route running last year.  Brazill started to come on late last year but he's been in trouble before. 

Decker is 6'3" and has a very solid build.  He is a great route runner with above average hands and decent speed (4.53 in the 40-yard dash).  I think he would be a major asset to our receiving corps. 

I think I'd probably rather pay less and give Nicks more money up front and gamble he's going to be healthy and if he's not cut him in a couple of years than pay what it's going to cost to bring Decker here.

I find this astounding. I don't see how you can compare the oft injured Nicks with Deckard. Deckard is the real deal and he would be the number one receiver the Colts need to replace Reggie. I agree the game is won in the trenches but I don't see us making much progress there. You can draft a rookie WR and in two or three years he might come off of the practice squad. Decker is a great player right now.

No to Decker only because of the price tag. You never overpay for average or above average. You overpay for the best top 5 at the position period. Haven't the Pats should you guys you don't have to overpay for players. 

Agree with respect to not over-paying him.  However, it's hard to argue with the price he is demanding.  His stat lines from the last two seasons are far from average.

Welker has average speed and a below average build.  That doesn't mean his production is average.

Decker is unequivocally the #1 free agent WR this year.  If he doesn't get paid here, he will elsewhere. 

Waste of money. We have plenty of decent WRs. Don't want to waste 1/13 of the cap on somebody not worth that. Is he going to make our offense that much better? No. I don't believe in having 20m in cap tied up in 2 WR alone. Get a good OL and it won't even matter. I wouldn't want any WR that would cost 10m, being Decker just makes it magnified.

Because with our 2nd pick- we can get players like Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews-both big reliable targets who we could mold into what we want them to be unlike Decker who might be used to what is done in Denver. Also a draft pick like Robinson or Matthews would be cheaper.

I understand the money part.... But he is arguably going to be the best WR FA.. Of course he is going to want a lot of $$$ maybe he would take a slight pay cut to play for a great team like the Colts. (Doubt it) just a thought! Also I like Nicks but health has hurt the Colts so bad in the past... I would be nervous. I wouldn't mind it though!

I'm with you. Let's get Decker

Because with our 2nd pick- we can get players like Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews-both big reliable targets who we could mold into what we want them to be unlike Decker who might be used to what is done in Denver. Also a draft pick like Robinson or Matthews would be cheaper.

Were gonna need our 2nd round pick for something other than WR... Jordan Matthews is going to be gone by then anyway! I watch every Vandy game and if he is still avaibable by late 2nd round anyone in this league has NO idea what they are doing. haha

Who on the Colts has had better numbers than Decker recently?

Not the point. He is CLEARLY a #2 receiver. Heard it everywhere, including the folks I respect on the Sirius NFL network. We don't need another #2. For what it is worth (I know, I know, very little) the majority of the commentators on Sirius NFL think Decker is not a great idea for the Colts either.

Because we need to concentrate on O-Line and D-Line. We have some good WR/TE guys coming for next season. Put Fleener or Allen in the slot if needed. Or a 1 year deal with Nicks if grigs thinks we need one. Make sure it's low dollar signing.

Not the point. He is CLEARLY a #2 receiver. Heard it everywhere, including the folks I respect on the Sirius NFL network. We don't need another #2. For what it is worth (I know, I know, very little) the majority of the commentators on Sirius NFL think Decker is not a great idea for the Colts either.

I do agree that the Colts have plenty of other needs (OL, DL, Secondary, and LB, to name a few).

But my point is that we don't really have a #1 or a #2 at the moment.  We don't know how Wayne is going to react after a major knee surgery. 

Hilton got banged up easily last year and while he had some epic performances, he was not necessarily consistent.

After Hilton, it was WR by committee last year.

In a pass-happy league, you can get away with a decent line (so long as you can run), an outstanding QB, and a great WR corps.

Last year, we had an atrocious line. 

Decker had 11 TDs and 1,288 yards in 2013.

Wayne had 503 yards and 2 TDs in 2013.

Not sure if we are living in the same universe . . .

Bro, I meant the season before last. Luck's rookie year. Wayne was in the top 5 in receiving yards that year I believe. My bad. I hit the 3 instead of the 2. should have been 2012.

Decker had 11 TDs and 1,288 yards in 2013.

Wayne had 503 yards and 2 TDs in 2013.

Not sure if we are living in the same universe . . .

I happen to love the universe I live in - and the TRUTH is the truth is the truth.

Decker is a #2 receiver, we don't need him.

ColtsHappy

I'll gladly take Decker over Nicks. Reciever is not a big need, but this would allow us to draft defense... and give us a unbelievable group of recievers even after Reggie retires.

To be completely honest though I'm actually really not so sure our recovering core is as great as everyone thinks it is... Wayne and Hilton are great! But if we had an injury then we are in trouble! Brazil is okay but Luck makes him look better! And Rogers obviously has potential but hasn't had much time to show it! (Although I believe he can be a stud if he works hard and stay OUT OF TROUBLE) and Whalen has good hands... But seriously I feel like our receiving core needs more work.... The Luck factor helps! Yes other needs are wayyyy more important (CB,OL) but wr does need to be addressed.

The over-infatuation with skill players every off-season is exactly why we've struggled to field a truly dominant team in the trenches all these years. It's really stupid; we don't even need a receiver right now, just like we didn't really need to waste a 1st on a RB. It all starts upfront when it comes to winning football games. Losing franchises waste money on the shiny toys in the off-season, while the winning ones stock up on picks and build up dominant lines, with the occasional key free agency pick up every now and then.

Not to mention, the last big time free agent receiver to actually live up to the investment was?......

Same crap different year. Let's all go on and on about wr's, te's, rb's, cb's and safeties. Championship teams are built from the line out. Both sides of the ball, period. The lines are the cake, wr's and all that other crap the icing.

To be completely honest though I'm actually really not so sure our recovering core is as great as everyone thinks it is... Wayne and Hilton are great! But if we had an injury then we are in trouble! Brazil is okay but Luck makes him look better! And Rogers obviously has potential but hasn't had much time to show it! (Although I believe he can be a stud if he works hard and stay OUT OF TROUBLE) and Whalen has good hands... But seriously I feel like our receiving core needs more work.... The Luck factor helps! Yes other needs are wayyyy more important (CB,OL) but wr does need to be addressed.

Having a receiver like Decker also helps because I think it moves Whalen to kick return duties... I'm sick of seeing T.Y. Hilton have to get back there to return them knowing if he gets in trouble it could make things a bit tougher. A group of Reggie Wayne, Decker, Hilton, Rogers, and Brazill would be scary with Whalen coming in and out. Then having an o-line that can open running lanes would stretch things even more.

Because he's a number 2 receiver with inflated stats due to playing with Peyton Manning. 

Imagine what Hakeem Nicks, a true number one receiver, could do with Peyton Manning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Glyscx2J54

Nicks is the one we should go after

If he is that and he is willing to sign for one year cheap, why wouldn't he sign on to play with Peyton Manning and replace Decker. He may be a true number one receiver although I am not convinced of that but he can't stay on the field. Decker can and that makes him worth many millions more. You are only a number two receiver when the number one is better. Thomas is better but no one on the Colts including Wayne coming off of injury and aging is either.