Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Pagano have what it takes to win a SB

Rob Lowe

Say what you want about the guy: he has heart, he defeated cancer, his players love him, has a great reputation, etc. But you have to admit that it doesn't seem that he has the fire and "kill em" attitude of a Belicek, Sean Payton, Harbaugh, etc. I honest think we will always be contenders with Pagano. But it's hard to see us winning the SB with such a passive coach.

In the future I'd like us to target a Gruden, Cowhler, Tomlin, or Saban even

Say what you want about the guy: he has heart, he defeated cancer, his players love him, has a great reputation, etc. But you have to admit that it doesn't seem that he has the fire and "kill em" attitude of a Belicek, Sean Payton, Harbaugh, etc. I honest think we will always be contenders with Pagano. But it's hard to see us winning the SB with such a passive coach.

People said the same about Tony Dungy once too. Who has as many rings as Cowher, Tomlin and Gruden. And Gruden is painfully overrated......he won a SB with Dungy's team. Tomlin doesn't even make the playoffs all the time but yeah.....lets hope for him.

Some can be absolutely ridiculous here. Pagano just coached his real full year in the NFL.....give him more time. He will be even better next season.

If people want the coach of NE you won't get him. He is a rare all time great at the very top. Maybe Pagano can become a great coach himself but NE envy won't help either.

Pagano is fine but he has to be able to let go of certain coaches if they do not feel are getting it done. Manusky's D is what I am still worried about.

His best D happened with the 49ers under Mike Singletary. I don't agree with him playing so much zone vs Brady, especially if your pass rush can't get there. He wised up in the second half but I do feel we will be better with Wade Philips in the long term.

I am however willing to give him one more year with Grigson shopping/drafting for more groceries on the defensive side.

**In the future I'd like us to target a Gruden, Cowhler, Tomlin, or Saban even**

I started to take this seriously until the end. Your on a roll.

In the immortal words of our friend,  JSkinnz.....

Dear God!    Please!    Make!    It!!     Stop!!!!!!!        :facepalm:        :loco:        :facepalm:        :loco:       :facepalm:        :loco:        :facepalm:        :loco:

It's not fire he's lacking. Much more about game plans and prepping the team. He's a great leader but needs to hone his craft.

He is not really a great leader...he justs cheers on his players and says nice (exagerated) things about them to make them feel good...and that's it.

You can't forget that this was his first full year with the job. He still has a young team.

People said the same about Tony Dungy once too. Who has as many rings as Cowher, Tomlin and Gruden. And Gruden is painfully overrated......he won a SB with Dungy's team. Tomlin doesn't even make the playoffs all the time but yeah.....lets hope for him.

Some can be absolutely ridiculous here. Pagano just coached his real full year in the NFL.....give him more time. He will be even better next season.

If people want the coach of NE you won't get him. He is a rare all time great at the very top. Maybe Pagano can become a great coach himself but NE envy won't help either.

While I heavily disagree with the OP on who to go for I don't quite disagree. Just to give you perspective and of course I don't speak for everyone here but I think many (like myself) don't want to see another Colts QB be held back by the coach. Pagano does deserve credit for keeping the guys together he also has blame that is a bit too much to look over. His reluctance to change and lack of accountability coupled with * poor time management and the willingness to concede instead of fight is very worrying. All I ask for in a HC is the same I request in players, he needs to do everything he can to help the team win. If he gambles and loses so be it as long as it was a smart gamble and he used every resource he has. But I haven't seen that from him and Luck isn't going to be on a small contract forever. That in itself is the concern. But I know he will stay and I (as a colts fan) hope he learns and succeeds.

Tony Dungy wasn't really a fiery guy either. Really, I would say Pagano is much more passionate than Dungy ever projected. I think Chuck has what it takes.

He's horrible as a head coach. The worst thing about him is how he handles personnel. He doesn't seem to want to start the best guys. A guy like Pete Carroll would've never started the season with TY as DHBs backup. He also wouldve replaced Satele the moment his backup outplayed him.

Chuck suvks witg Xs and Os then he cant handle a roster. Andrew Luck's biggest problem is he's stuck with Chuck for at least another 2 seasons. There is no way that guy gets fired. Unless the Colts start missing tge playoffs, but with a healthy Luck in the AFc South, that probably won't happen. He's going to have a winning record on top of being likeable.

I see it, fans see it....D-line suck,  O-line Suck, coaches suck, bring on Saban....I'm all for that, at least he'll tell you if you screw up and do a better job or else.....Coaches on the colts appear to be more lacks and want to be the players friend instead of being their coaches....Totally out of character.

Frustrating to see the Colts lose a game that they could have won with better coaching especially on the Defensive side as well as the Offensive side.  More so on the Defense....Light a fire under Manusky so he can make a difference on the team.  Rob Lowe above is right, too passive....Can't win waiting to see things happen.

and Dungy has more Super Bowl rings than that Saban guy.  I think fans like the idea of a coach with fire because they want to see a coach yell and scream like they want to do when things don't go well.  In reality I think even firey coaches have to watch how much yelling they do or sooner or later pro-athletes just tune you out. 

One of the better quotes I heard from a Colts player, I think it was Mathis during the 2010 season, when he was asked about Caldwell's lack of fire he said something to the effect of "We are grown men, we don't need someone yelling at us telling us we messed up.  We know when we didn't get the job done." 

I don't get the criticism of Pagano.  First of all, lets face the facts.  We don't have that much talent.   We have one Pro Bowl player.  We need better players in many positions.  But for us to get to 11-5 two years in a row, have so few turnovers and so few penalties shows a well coached team.   I like the guy.  I think he will be regarded as one of the best coaches in the league within the next 5 years.  I think sometimes fan have to accept that sometimes the more talented teams win.

Oh man, Jules stole my thunder...No worries...Imitation is the highest form of flattery anyway. Good job Jules!