Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Pagano have what it takes to win a SB

Rob Lowe

I think Dungy actually was fiery at times mentally, his personality and body language just doesn't convey it at all

I've been around a lot of brilliant quiet people in my lifetime & career Rob. The ability to yell, shout, & spit is seldom conducive to learning & live practical curcumstances when it really counts in busy or chaotic situations.

That's been my experience anyway. Any fool can scream, but not every individual can truly teach a person our group a new skill.  Tony Dungy is one of those gifted, soft spoken individuals. 

Is your issue how the message from a coach is delivered to his players as opposed to what that actual message is? Is it a question of bravado & tone vs meaning & substance? 

If a person is respected, there is no need to raise your voice. Greatness needs no self promotion. Everyone else can see it, feel it, & know it based on a person's aura, presence, & reputation to capture a room & everyone's attention inside of it. It gives you goose bumps when it happens...Nothing else like it. Rock stars have it, HOF coaches have it, & Fantastic mentors have it.

I've been around a lot of brilliant quiet people in my lifetime & career Rob. The ability to yell, shout, & spit is seldom conducive to learning & live practical curcumstances when it really counts in busy or chaotic situations.

That's been my experience anyway. Any fool can scream, but not every individual can truly teach a person our group a new skill.  Tony Dungy is one of those gifted, soft spoken individuals. 

Is your issue how the message from a coach is delivered to his players as opposed to what that actual message is? Is it a question of bravado & tone vs meaning & substance? 

If a person is respected, there is no need to raise your voice. Greatness needs no self promotion. Everyone else can see it, feel it, & know it based on a person's aura, presence, & reputation to capture a room & everyone's attention inside of it. It gives you goose bumps when it happens...Nothing else like it. Rock stars have it, HOF coaches have it, & Fantastic mentors have it.

Ive found this to be true also,you don't have to scream and shout to a leader,If people believe in you,they will follow you.

Ive found this to be true also,you don't have to scream and shout to a leader,If people believe in you,they will follow you.

Precisely Robert. If I believe in you, I will walk through fire for you, crawl over broken glass for you, & run through traffic for you. Devotion through well earned mutual respect is a beautiful, beautiful thing to watch directly unfold before your eyes. When lightbulb clicks on for the 1st time, & a person does something they never thought they could pull off in a million years...It's awe inspiring like a natural euphoric drug of perfection & invincibility if only for a moment.

This is what football players mean when they say that the game slows down. Their comprehension & application has become 2nd nature now & no one can stop them now i.e. quiet confidence has emerged now & you have the ability to reach another plane of mental toughness & existence. 

Musicians experience this sensation whenever they finally master a complicated riff, stanza, or drummers finally nail a sophisticated tempo & rhythm. It is so liberating! Coaches & players are no exception to this feeling either.

Well said Robert! Very nice!   :hat:

Say what you want about the guy: he has heart, he defeated cancer, his players love him, has a great reputation, etc. But you have to admit that it doesn't seem that he has the fire and "kill em" attitude of a Belicek, Sean Payton, Harbaugh, etc. I honest think we will always be contenders with Pagano. But it's hard to see us winning the SB with such a passive coach.

In the future I'd like us to target a Gruden, Cowhler, Tomlin, or Saban even

Pagano has everything to win SB but one thing: Experience. It is his second year as HC, and he spent his first season in hospital. He has built a disciplined team, all he needs is more talent and few years experience as HC. He will win one sooner than You may think, seal it!

Pagano has everything to win SB but one thing: Experience. It is his second year as HC, and he spent his first season in hospital. He has built a disciplined team, all he needs is more talent and few years experience as HC. He will win one sooner than You may think, seal it!

Absolutely right HCF. Experience as an HC is all he lacks & Pagano & his staff have been in the Playoffs twice now. That doesn't sound like a colossal failure to me either. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater simply because the Colts have not hoisted this above their head yet... :lombardi:  Give Chuck a little more time to reach the Promiseland. Thank you. 

"In the future I'd like us to target a Gruden, Cowhler, Tomlin, or Saban even." --Rob Lowe 

Really? Gruden loves his MNF booth job on ESPN & he's not leaving anytime soon. Cowher loves his CBS football broadcasting gig & he last coached in 2005. Would modern players revere him & follow him in 2014? Extremely doubtful. Tomlin? The Rooneys are the definition of stability & their franchise has won 6 Lombardi trophies. Do you think they accomplished that with rapid regime turnover? Nope. 

Nick Saban was a disaster running the Miami Dolphins. Plus, he openly lied at an NFL press conference when he was asked about his interest in pursuing college coaching jobs including the Alabama Crimson Tide. Do I want an habitual liar working for the Colts organization? Absolutely not. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2705288

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/18/nick-saban-apologizes-for-professional-mishandling-when-leaving-dolphins/

Bravado + Tone + Message

/ of silly question

I'm skeptical after the decision to punt while losing by 21 points with 10 mins left in our last game. I'm afraid that's he will coach in an ultra conservative way. The kind of coach that will punt on 4th and 1 from the opposing 40 yard line with a middle of the pack defense... Basically how John Fox coached against us before Peyton got upset with him and stopped leaving the field

We'll never know if we try to dump him for the next hot coaching candidate.

We still don't have a solid base for most of the team yet.  At least half the starters on our current defense would never start for a championship defense.  Sure maybe they where improvements over last year, but they aren't pieces you keep around for a long time if you want to build a top 10 defense.  

We lost so many key players on offense it's a coaching miracle we won 11 games.

Say what you want about the guy: he has heart, he defeated cancer, his players love him, has a great reputation, etc. But you have to admit that it doesn't seem that he has the fire and "kill em" attitude of a Belicek, Sean Payton, Harbaugh, etc. I honest think we will always be contenders with Pagano. But it's hard to see us winning the SB with such a passive coach.

Oh good grief! I'd like to ask are we allowed to recycle our previous post regarding that charge about Tony Dungy but I see that I've be beaten to that response.

I think the question you really want to ask Rob is shouldn't we sack Coach Pagano and hire a "win at all costs" kind of coach because winning is the only thing that counts not how you do it. If you think that is correct I would ask you to pick up a copy of "Boys Will Be Boys" by Jeff Pearlman (about the Dallas Cowboys under Johnson and Switzer).

The book has a great opening scene in which Michael Irvin picks up scissors and stabs a teammate in the neck because the 3rd stringer didn't get out of the barber chair in the middle of his haircut fast enough so that Michael could get his haircut immediately AND it goes downhill from there. Charles Haley Constantly openly masturbating all the time, the prostitutes having their own bus on Super Bowl week and arriving a few days before the wives on their team bus (you get why you gotta have happy players so they play for you) and a variety of other questionable practices that were ALWAYS tolerated on that team because Johnson and Switzer were win at all cost coaches.

Payton, BB they have their own versions of dirty laundry.

In my experience the best coaches are the ones that get players to buy into their system and get them to play as hard as they are capable of. Whereas the "kill em" attitude coaches are tempted to do anything to win and overlook anything to win and that leads to corner cutting.

Put me in the camp of fans that wants to win but not at any cost, the how the Colts do it matters to me.

If I could see the future and know that AAron Hernandez would suddenly be acquitted on a technicality and signing him would mean we win the Super Bowl I would prefer we pass.

And lastly, I have zero doubt that all 53 Colts play very hard for coach Pagano but he doesn't shop for the "groceries" and that was the only problem this year (a little lack of talent depth).

So Pagano doesn't have what it takes because his team lost in the divisional round his 2nd year of coaching?

But the Colts need someone with the killer instinct like:

Payton - Who also lost in the divisional round of the playoffs.

So Pagano doesn't have what it takes because his team lost in the divisional round his 2nd year of coaching?

But the Colts need someone with the killer instinct like:

Bill Belichick - Now I think BB is a great coach but he was 13 -19 after his 1st two years as a HC and was the HC for 4 years before he made his first playoffs.

And then you want to look at Saban who didn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL, MR. TWC cable who's career was mired in inconsistency (there were several years he did not even make the playoffs), Gruden was the losing coach in the largest 4th qtr comeback on MNF history. 

Harbaugh is the only coach who has done what Colts fans want, Conference Champion game every year, but 1) he's not available and 2) Colts fans would still gripe that he still has not won the SB.

Bravado + Tone + Message

/ of silly question

No, what's silly is that lackluster response sir...

Ask Dungy if he gets a SB without Manning. Get back to me, thanks.

That's your best comeback Mr. Lowe really? Thank you for playing...You get a C for writing down something I suppose. That's okay, not everybody is capable of bringing their A game are they? 

And who did Jon Gruden thank 1st after winning that Tampa Bay SB in 2002? Mr. Tony Dungy. Are these really your debating skills sir. You are making these counter arguments far too easy. No challenge at all. 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion & I am entitled to disagree with it. Have a nice day. 

I don't know about his leadership, but the most telling thing about his coaching is that the team comes out flat every single game.  How can you get behind by such a big margin in every single game?  How can you get outscored by such a large margin in the first half of every game?