Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bethea officially leaving?

Bravo

He was quoted on twitter saying "My first time testing the open market, I'm pretty excited!"

Also saw that he said he would "love to finish his career here but both sides must come to an agreement" (which is obviously what every player goes through).

In my opinion I feel like he feels that he won't be back next year! I am sure he still believes he should be payed more. I do not think we will be seeing him... If he does leave how do we replace him? Thoughts??

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they'll let him test the market.  I'm sure someone is going to offer him more than we're willing to pay.  Heck, they gave Reed a big contract and most people knew he was about done.

I really like Bethea and appreciate all he's done for the team, he's a true iron man.  But it is a business, you don't pay for what someone has done, you pay for what he can do.

He was quoted on twitter saying "My first time testing the open market, I'm pretty excited!"

Also saw that he said he would "love to finish his career here but both sides must come to an agreement" (which is obviously what every player goes through).

In my opinion I feel like he feels that he won't be back next year! I am sure he still believes he should be payed more. I do not think we will be seeing him... If he does leave how do we replace him? Thoughts??

Bethea has been around for a while..

I wouldn't give him a ton of money.

If Byrd hits the open market and we pursue him I would go nuts..

Yeah, they'll let him test the market.  I'm sure someone is going to offer him more than we're willing to pay.  Heck, they gave Reed a big contract and most people knew he was about done.

I really like Bethea and appreciate all he's done for the team, he's a true iron man.  But it is a business, you don't pay for what someone has done, you pay for what he can do.

This.  I think Bethea is one of those guys who would be tough to see leave but it may be better of for the team. 

What if we releases Landry,

Kept Bethea.

Signed Byrd.

Hm?

Laron Landry needs to be released too. I'm officially sick of him. I liked the signing at first, but the last few games of the season he has ruined my fondness of him.

He just throws his body. Doesn't wrap up if his life depended on it. All you see is this blue/white blur (depending what jerseys we're wearing) flying across the screen missing the ball carrier. He hits more Colts players than he does other players

Then gets up & struts around all body builder like as if he's really done something. I really can't stand Laron Landry now

Laron Landry needs to be released too. I'm officially sick of him. I liked the signing at first, but the last few games of the season he has ruined my fondness of him.

He just throws his body. Doesn't wrap up if his life depended on it. All you see is this blue/white blur (depending what jerseys we're wearing) flying across the screen missing the ball carrier. He hits more Colts players than he does other players

Then gets up & struts around all body builder like as if he's really done something. I really can't stand Laron Landry now

He looked great at times and looked horrible in others. I'm willing to give him another chance just for the fact he's on a new team with new players. Let's see if he builds a Chemistry here.

I think that Bethea is a great piece of the defense. He plays the run well and has been in the system long enough to help newcomers to the team. He is a good leader and been asked to a lot for the team. This is the first year in many that he did not make the pro bowl, but there are some really good safeties around. If we can keep Howell healthy this will be a very good back end to the defense that does need some help.

Kept Bethea.

Signed Byrd.

Hm?

Then we'd have quite a bit of dead cap to deal with which when you're talking about signing Byrd (and resigning Bethea) ain't going to be be too good for the overall cap scenario. I think Landry's dead cap hit would be $5Mill odd? One of the cap gurus will know better. 

We move landry to SS and Howell plays FS

Need a playmaker. Must pray that they can get jarius byrd somehow or another good one. look at seattle and san fran. they are considered the 2 best defenses in the game and alot of it has to do with dynamic playmaking safeties. howell and landry dont make enough big plays. 

I wouldn't be sad to see if him go. Like the guy a lot, but I'm not willing to invest a ton of money into keeping him here. He's consistent, but not very good anymoreI

I would be sad to see him go but as you say the level of play doesn't justify a big contract. Last year we gave him a pass saying he didn't have a decent safety alongside him, and ok Landry hasn't been lights out this year but still he beats Zbi hands down and Bethea hasn't really looked all that much better. 

My overriding memory of him this season is just getting burnt deep in coverage consistently. 

I think Bethea has been a great player. But the years of wear and tear are taking their toll. For years he was forced to tackle more than he should have to. Didn't he lead the team in tackles in 2011? A safety should never lead the team in tackles. That means the guys up front aren't doing their jobs. With Dungy's undersized guys Bethea often had to help out, or clean up someone's mistakes. I love the guy, he is a gamer and I hope he retires a Colt. But even through he is only 29, he's an old 29 if you get what I mean. A lot of games played (including postseasons...two SB runs, that's a lot of extra wear)

If he's willing to come back a decent price, I am ok with it. If not, Howell can step in.

Landry had a great start to the year but after the injury, I don't think he was the same. I am not the first to bring this up, heard it on JMV last week. I think that ankle sprain limited him after coming back. He also needs to work on form. But when he's on he is really strong at stopping the run. I would give him another year....

Kept Bethea.

Signed Byrd.

Hm?

Landry's contract prevents him from being released this offseason, and honestly I don't think he's been as bad as some make it out to be, especially considering he may have been playing banged up for a large portion of the season.  This is also his first full year in THIS defense being added to a newly constructed secondary.  

There are a couple of things I find funny about that.  One is that we pretty much knew that's the kind of player he is and that's what a lot of people were excited about when we signed him.  An enforcer, a big hitter at the safety position.  Someone that will hit other teams and make them pay for getting into his territory.  That's what he is but now that's not what people want anymore.

Secondly, I remember back when there were still "dislikes" on the forum, there was a thread about getting more big hitters for the defense and I made a post saying that big hitters were great but they also need to be able to wrap up and tackle.  I got dislikes on that post and it blew my mind.  I didn't know wrap up tacklers had become a bad thing  to some people.

My final thought....the secondary needs to work together, gel as a unit.  I think a lot of people are getting upset because the secondary isn't performing as well as a unit as quickly as most people would like.  The injuries to Landry and Toler certainly didn't help that and if we keep replacing players every year they're never going to.  I understand the concern with Toler staying healthy and if the coaches aren't convinced he can play a full 16 game season then I do think he should be replaced.  I do NOT think either Toler nor Landry should be replaced at this point due to performance.

I would be sad to see him go but as you say the level of play doesn't justify a big contract. Last year we gave him a pass saying he didn't have a decent safety alongside him, and ok Landry hasn't been lights out this year but still he beats Zbi hands down and Bethea hasn't really looked all that much better.

My overriding memory of him this season is just getting burnt deep in coverage consistently.

Well that's what I meant really lol.

I will miss the guy, and his contributions. But I'm not going to miss his level of play.

Landry seems to me like the Alfonso Soriano of baseball. Lots of strikeouts, lots of swings and misses but when he gets bat on to ball, it is like a highlight reel because it ends up being an impact play

You left out the part where his production is highly replaceable.

Landry is that guy that goes for the big hit...highlight reel hit. That often causes swings and misses, injuries, or in this day and age suspensions. To me he is more worried about how big his arms are then perfecting his craft...I know that is very critical and I have no proof it is just how it comes off...I have no clue how much time he spends in the film room or improving his agility and speed but I see plenty of pictures of him doing curls. Bethea has been up and down but overall been good this year. Clearly though with his age and the ever increasing pressure put on safeties to cover and tackle I think he is going to want more than what we will get from him in the  next phase of his career. We likely won't be moving Landry because of his contract but we definately will need a safety that can cover because that is NOT his strength. 

People keep referring to "free safety" and "strong safety" positions but thats not really applicable to this secondary. In this system the safeties are interchangeable. Both play in coverage and both play up at the line. Just depends on play call. If Bethea leaves, whoever he  is replaced with will need to be able to do the same unless the system changes. Also, I dont think you can count on Howell as a starter. He played well in San Fran but wasn't so hot after that and was hurt pretty quick too

Need a playmaker. Must pray that they can get jarius byrd somehow or another good one. look at seattle and san fran. they are considered the 2 best defenses in the game and alot of it has to do with dynamic playmaking safeties. howell and landry dont make enough big plays. 

i agree completely, i was just saying the scenario with our current roster. i really hope we make good moves for the D this offseason. our offense is set besides the line