Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bethea officially leaving?

Bravo

Bethea is actually a better tackler than Landry ... signing Landry was a big mistake ...I really think we should let Bethea walk and release Landry. Neither one of them can cover anybody either. Start fresh at both safety spots no way could we b any worse off at that position.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with SMonroe a contract is for what a player brings to the table not for what they have already eaten (try to make that metaphor work but I don't know if I did).  Anyway that' being said, there seem to be a whole lot of people who really don't know what they are seeing when they watch a game.  Bethea has not lost a step (that is a bad cliche saying and one in which the average fan who watches the games on TV or live really have no basis for determining).  And I don't care how you look at it, Bethea had one of the best seasons of his career; tackles... 2nd most in career, solos tied for first most in career, PD - 6, two less than his best of 8, INTs 2, TFL-6 (tied for 7th best among safeties and his highest TFL of his career), if you look at Advanced NFL Stats, he had his 2nd highest WPA and EPA of his career.

Whether or not the Colts retain him, I have no idea but Bethea is not done by a long shot.

Bethea is a good SS, but we really need a FS that can cover, tackle and have good instincts.  We need money to sure up the defense as a whole.  Take this lose and fuel the fire.

yes for sure like byrd we basically have 2 run support SS if we could get rid of landry to free up some cap space which i don't think is possible i would rather tj ward at SS and byrd FS

Unfortunately I just don't see Bethea staying. 

He didn't have a great year and he is a old regime player. I think that adds up to him going somewhere else.

I think if we let him walk, it will set the defense back at least another year. The guy is an ironman at his position and a leader on defense.

He was quoted on twitter saying "My first time testing the open market, I'm pretty excited!"

Also saw that he said he would "love to finish his career here but both sides must come to an agreement" (which is obviously what every player goes through).

In my opinion I feel like he feels that he won't be back next year! I am sure he still believes he should be payed more. I do not think we will be seeing him... If he does leave how do we replace him? Thoughts??

he needs to get paid.  he is not paid like the talent he truly is.  The Texans will sign him to a big deal.  I see him holding out and having many teams up their bidding and such.  He is not wealthy, but he will be.

Bethea won't be back, he had a great career as a Colt but it's time for him to move on. Delano Howell was the best safety we had this year imo, another gem Grigson found. The games he started vs the 49ers and Seahawks he played great and so did the entire defense . He's a better coverage safety then both Landry and Bethea.

Landry was inconsistent but he was playing as a FS for most of the year when he's really a in the box safety. One year removed from the pro bowl the talent is still there and i think he will play to that level again next year. 

You don't need two pro bowl safeties to have a great secondary, Landry and Howell are good enough. The Patriots, Broncos, and 49ers don't have the best safeties but they all have great pass rushers, ILB's, and have multiple good CB's, something we don't have. 

Bethea has been a fantastic player for us since he was drafted, but he's going to get far more than he's worth thrown at him.  He wasn't very good this year and it's time to move on.  Be great if we can draft a player half as good as Bethea was in the 6th round this year though.

I would like us to move Landry to Bethea's spot if he walks and sign a true FS. Obviously Byrd is the best available, but Im not too sure of the money it would take to aquire his services. Bethea just had too many mistakes in coverage for my liking this year. He can still play the run nicely but thats why we signed Landry. Neither seems good in coverage.

I agree with SMonroe a contract is for what a player brings to the table not for what they have already eaten (try to make that metaphor work but I don't know if I did).  Anyway that' being said, there seem to be a whole lot of people who really don't know what they are seeing when they watch a game.  Bethea has not lost a step (that is a bad cliche saying and one in which the average fan who watches the games on TV or live really have no basis for determining).  And I don't care how you look at it, Bethea had one of the best seasons of his career; tackles... 2nd most in career, solos tied for first most in career, PD - 6, two less than his best of 8, INTs 2, TFL-6 (tied for 7th best among safeties and his highest TFL of his career), if you look at Advanced NFL Stats, he had his 2nd highest WPA and EPA of his career.

Whether or not the Colts retain him, I have no idea but Bethea is not done by a long shot.

Agree with Coffee he is correct Bethea is & has been a quality safety since he arrived here as a 6th RD pick. He is solid & IMO will be hard to replace if he leaves. Given that I do want him back, but you can not overpay for a guy going into his 9th year as a safety. My hope is we get a 2/3 year deal that works for both parties.

Bethea won't be back, he had a great career as a Colt but it's time for him to move on. Delano Howell was the best safety we had this year imo, another gem Grigson found. The games he started vs the 49ers and Seahawks he played great and so did the entire defense . He's a better coverage safety then both Landry and Bethea.

Landry was inconsistent but he was playing as a FS for most of the year when he's really a in the box safety. One year removed from the pro bowl the talent is still there and i think he will play to that level again next year. 

You don't need two pro bowl safeties to have a great secondary, Landry and Howell are good enough. The Patriots, Broncos, and 49ers don't have the best safeties but they all have great pass rushers, ILB's, and have multiple good CB's, something we don't have. 

Howell has played how many games? really I ain't handing over the keys to him. He could stay healthy this year Bethea plays no matter what, Howell looks frail to me.

He was quoted on twitter saying "My first time testing the open market, I'm pretty excited!"

Also saw that he said he would "love to finish his career here but both sides must come to an agreement" (which is obviously what every player goes through).

In my opinion I feel like he feels that he won't be back next year! I am sure he still believes he should be payed more. I do not think we will be seeing him... If he does leave how do we replace him? Thoughts??

Bethea is NOT officially leaving.     At least,  not yet.

He's officially posturing.....     which is what ALL smart free agents do.

They make it public that they'd like to stay....   that they like the team and the franchise and the fans and the city and they don't want to go anywhere....

And then they remind (that from their perspective)  it's not up to them,  it's up to the team to make them an offer to make them stay.....

Or something close to all that.....

That's how the game is played.

This is going to play out over the next two months....    Free Agency is roughly in mid-March....

He wasn't even top 10 at his position in INT's.......He was 24th at his position in passes defensed......Dont know whether or not he will be resigned either but I wouldn't resign him for more then 3-4 mill for 2 years...He averaged 6 mill over the contract he is about to finish out, several Safeties made less and were much more productive

Howell is not injury prone he should be back by training camp. He's not a better tackler then Bethea( really no one is at safety) but he's a good tackler and much better in coverage. The only thing Bethea can do is tackle he's useless at everything else and can never find the ball when it's in the air. I watched the 49ers game again and Howell was everywhere and was laying some big hits. Howell has all the skills, speed, and ball awareness to start next year at FS, he just need more reps and he'll get it because Bethea won't be back. We can still draft a safety in later rounds for depth.

Howell has played how many games? really I ain't handing over the keys to him. He could stay healthy this year Bethea plays no matter what, Howell looks frail to me.

Bethea has lost a step or 3. He's good against the run, but a liability in coverage. I love what he's done for us in past years, and he's been very dependable health wise. But I think the same as he does, he is probably looking for more money than Colts are willing to pay. 

Just a question: If Bethea had picked Brady off in the endzone on Saturday, would so many fans be so willing to see him depart from the Blue Horseshoe so quickly? I am neutral on this question. Just curious what other INDY fans think I guess. 

If he gets that crucial turnover in Foxboro, does that change anything? He had his fingertips on it...

Bethea is NOT officially leaving.     At least,  not yet.

He's officially posturing.....     which is what ALL smart free agents do.

They make it public that they'd like to stay....   that they like the team and the franchise and the fans and the city and they don't want to go anywhere....

And then they remind (that from their perspective)  it's not up to them,  it's up to the team to make them an offer to make them stay.....

Or something close to all that.....

That's how the game is played.

This is going to play out over the next two months....    Free Agency is roughly in mid-March....

Well put NCF! 

He wasn't even top 10 at his position in INT's.......He was 24th at his position in passes defensed......Dont know whether or not he will be resigned either but I wouldn't resign him for more then 3-4 mill for 2 years...He averaged 6 mill over the contract he is about to finish out, several Safeties made less and were much more productive

You are always good with contract numbers Gavin. I always notice what others excel at & SW1 sucks at. LOL! A genuine complement I swear. I ran out of likes.  :thmup:

Just a question: If Bethea had picked Brady off in the endzone on Saturday, would so many fans be so willing to see him depart from the Blue Horseshoe so quickly? I am neutral on this question. Just curious what other INDY fans think I guess. 

If he gets that crucial turnover in Foxboro, does that change anything? He had his fingertips on it...

I'd have to say yes, because his play, and the fact that he was going to be a FA this upcoming year, was brought in to question mid-year. I think its time to move on. I'm still confused why people thought he played so well against KC. He completely blew his coverage help for Toler when Toler got burnt deep against Avery, by jumping on the inside route, which was well covered mind you, and left Toler all alone. Toler is equally to blame, but Bethea has been doing this too long to let that stuff happen. On another play he blew HIS coverage on the RB, when the RB ran a wheel route right by him as he was caught looking in the backfield, and got burnt for a TD there as well. He had man-coverage on that RB which made it even worse. His decisions on the field have left a lot to be desired, especially when he used to be the guy you could consistently count on not to screw up. He's always going to be one of my all-time favorites, but I think the Colts can do better right now.

So?  His INTs and PD are in line with what he has done his entire career with is a fact that goes against the theory that he has "lost a step".  I hope the Colts don't overpay to keep him but the thing is we, as fans, have no idea really what is overpaying or underpaying.  For example, if the Colts pay him more than 3-4 mil for 2 years you will think he is overpaid, the Colts may think he's a bargain if they get him for 12 million on a 4 year contract.  Since it' is the Colts money they can spend it how they see fit.

So?  His INTs and PD are in line with what he has done his entire career with is a fact that goes against the theory that he has "lost a step".  I hope the Colts don't overpay to keep him but the thing is we, as fans, have no idea really what is overpaying or underpaying.  For example, if the Colts pay him more than 3-4 mil for 2 years you will think he is overpaid, the Colts may think he's a bargain if they get him for 12 million on a 4 year contract.  Since it' is the Colts money they can spend it how they see fit.

3-4 years for 12 mill total yeah Im good with that....But we need to bring in competition for him(thereby tying a roster bonus in with his contract)...... there is no way he has played up to his 4 year contract he is finishing out (26 mill)

How much do ya think he will be asking for?

That's really hard to say now that he's got a bit of injury on his record, and his particular injury comes with a risk of recurrence, even with surgery.  Nevertheless, it's promising that he came back after the injury and played all the remaining games on his schedule once cleared.  He's probably going to ask for top 5 money, and honestly, with his production, even with the injury, he probably deserves it. 

I guess, on a yearly average, that would make him worth no less than $7 millio na year, since that's what he's currently making as a franchise player.  If he gets top 5 money, that menas he would probably see around $7.5-$8 million a year  Forget about bonuses and guaranteed for a second.  He'll accept no less than a 4 year deal, but ask for 6 (no team would give 7 since he's not a Calvin Johnson or franchise QB type).  I think any team, assuming health and no cap space concerns, would be okay with that.  So lets say they meet halfway.  5 years at $7.75 million.  So a contract for 5 years with a max value of $38.75 million. 

If it's anything like the 4th highest paid S Eric Weddle's contract (5 year, $40 million with $18 guaranteed plus $13 million signing bonus), then we're probably looking at something like a $12 million signing bonus and $15-$20 million guaranteed. 

It's fun to speculate with contracts, but honestly, we really hvae no idea how to value these players.  But I would say that, unless teams think Byrd's foot is going to be a problem in the future, he should probably see some sort of high payout deal such as this.

That's really hard to say now that he's got a bit of injury on his record, and his particular injury comes with a risk of recurrence, even with surgery.  Nevertheless, it's promising that he came back after the injury and played all the remaining games on his schedule once cleared.  He's probably going to ask for top 5 money, and honestly, with his production, even with the injury, he probably deserves it. 

I guess, on a yearly average, that would make him worth no less than $7 millio na year, since that's what he's currently making as a franchise player.  If he gets top 5 money, that menas he would probably see around $7.5-$8 million a year  Forget about bonuses and guaranteed for a second.  He'll accept no less than a 4 year deal, but ask for 6 (no team would give 7 since he's not a Calvin Johnson or franchise QB type).  I think any team, assuming health and no cap space concerns, would be okay with that.  So lets say they meet halfway.  5 years at $7.75 million.  So a contract for 5 years with a max value of $38.75 million. 

If it's anything like the 4th highest paid S Eric Weddle's contract (5 year, $40 million with $18 guaranteed plus $13 million signing bonus), then we're probably looking at something like a $12 million signing bonus and $15-$20 million guaranteed. 

It's fun to speculate with contracts, but honestly, we really hvae no idea how to value these players.  But I would say that, unless teams think Byrd's foot is going to be a problem in the future, he should probably see some sort of high payout deal such as this.

I guess I just see it much different, I see him as a middle of the pack Safety who makes alot of tackles but mostly 15-20 yards down field, I posted where he ranked this year at his position in a couple categories and both were way outside the top 10, To me I just cant see paying him top 5 Safety money when he isn't a top 5 Safety, The point was brought up by CoffeeMaker that he was in line this year with what his production has been like his whole career, Which I agree with that it was....But its replaceable.....averaging 1.12 ints per season. 3.7 passes defensed and 4.6 tackles per game (many of them down field) isn't close to a top 5 Safety to me by a long shot

People really need to accept this.  Hope you don't mind I added this quote to my sig as a constant reminder :)