Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Tryout Deion Branch

NCost12

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fine with this move as well. We sign him for a small guaranteed contract and if we are knocked out of the playoffs... we give him his money and his walking papers.

We don't need him to run the vertical routes... so that is good. A playoff-experienced possession receiver sounds real good right about now.

If he can help get us to the next round of the playoffs... I think this team could have the lights turned on and make a run like we did back in 2006. Just sayin'.

Have some of you forgot who our receivers are? Of course we could use him here. Our receiving corp has under-performed all year long. One decent game by Rogers and Brazill is not enough to convince me they are serviceable. We need experience here period. Even Grandpa Branch might be better than most of the guys we have currently.

Have some of you forgot who our receivers are? Of course we could use him here. Our receiving corp has under-performed all year long. One decent game by Rogers and Brazill is not enough to convince me they are serviceable. We need experience here period. Even Grandpa Branch might be better than most of the guys we have currently.

Not only do you have to think about how "good" our WRs have been since Wayne went down but how about injuries?  I mean I know its a stretch that a new person will pop up on the injury report every Wednesday....  People are shooting down this idea to add a veteran who has been productive. If he did well in the workout and he can catch I don't see what is bad about signing him.

Branch has some of the best hands in the league. He can (or could) get open with shiftiness and is a GREAT route runner.  He is probably  not as fast as he once was, but can still CATCH a ball, and move the chains on third down. That alone would help this team. Third down conversions are KILLING this team right now.

Another veteran to help these young wr's with route running and playoff experience is a positive. Plus he is a high character guy that may help  keep Rogers head on straight and in the game. What can it hurt?

If he was not old and over the hill, he would still be with the Pats who need receivers very badly. No, I am not 12. I wish I was.  :D

as recently as 2011 he had 51 catches and 702 yards......2012 he only played 10 games and was only targeted 29 times, if you don't get the targets then you cant produce, he is 34 not 44, several wr's play inot there late 30's

as recently as 2011 he had 51 catches and 702 yards......2012 he only played 10 games and was only targeted 29 times, if you don't get the targets then you cant produce, he is 34 not 44, several wr's play inot there late 30's

Ocho Cinco is also available as is TO. Hell, why not bring in Jerry Rice? Why do you think he was only targeted 29 times? He can't get separation anymore.  :D

Ocho Cinco is also available as is TO. Hell, why not bring in Jerry Rice? Why do you think he was only targeted 29 times? He can't get separation anymore.  :D

Chad Johnson is 35, Terrell Owens is 40 and Jerry Rice is 50. Branch is 34 which btw is younger than Wayne.

If he was not old and over the hill, he would still be with the Pats who need receivers very badly. No, I am not 12. I wish I was.  :D

Interesting that he is younger than every other WR you mentioned.  I wouldn't say you were 12 I think that would probably be shooting too high.

Yeah, I did run into him at the opening of St. Vincent's sports performance center at the Clay Terrace mall and had a picture taken with him. Cool dude. He said he still keeps in shape and his agent had reached out to a few teams, that was at the beginning of the season. When I asked him about Austin Collie, who he was training along with, felt Austin Collie was caught in a numbers situation with the 49ers but I felt he was being too nice about Collie there. :)

That was on opening day of the NFL season. He looked like he was in shape, and had been training hard. So, I doubt he will be rusty.

I like the idea of bringing in Branch. Don't need speed and explosiveness. we have that in our young receivers. Could use little more on field vets, reliable route running and great hands for third down conversions. Sign him to a 1 yr low money contract, show him a few looks and maybe it pays off with not much gamble

I like the idea of bringing in Branch. Don't need speed and explosiveness. we have that in our young receivers. Could use little more on field vets, reliable route running and great hands for third down conversions. Sign him to a 1 yr low money contract, show him a few looks and maybe it pays off with not much gamble

Exactly speed and explosiveness are great but we didn't have that with Wayne we had a guy who ran great routes and caught most everything thrown his way. I think this a veteran guy who can fill in for Wayne with the role he had.

He is what Whalen could have been for us with some YAC, IMO. The slot guy that will move the chains and will allow the young guns to run the wheel, 9/go routes to clear the underneath and force teams to respect the underneath.

The slot WR position is not an easy position to play because it is the recipient of hot reads a lot of times. There was a time when we had Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, Blair White, Anthony Gonzalez, all of whom were skilled to play the slot. Not anymore.

Would be a great signing if it happens. Don't expect heavy YAC but you can expect good hands and chains being moved more reliably with Deion Branch. Every once in a while, he can get behind the D if he recognizes blown coverage and Luck has the arm and Big Ben like ability to stand in the pocket, take a hit and deliver it to a WR behind a blown coverage.

I would pass on Branch would rather our young WR's get the experience in the playoffs. Just because he has experience doesn't mean he'll be able to get open or beat press coverage. The Patriots waived Branch for guys like Greg Salas and Stallworth, when Belicheck waives a player he probably doesn't have anything left. Brazil should be fine as the 3rd WR and as bad as DHB is, the one thing he can do is catch underneath crossing routes because of his speed. We won't see DHB much in the playoffs anyways but at this point in Branch career, he really can't do anything.