Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Changes at WR..

Dark Superman

I'd like to see DHB get more screens and slants.  His drop problems come on mostly longer passes, keep them short and just use his size for 4 to 5 yards gains with the chance to break off a long one.  A short passing game is the same as a running game and worked well for the patriots for years.

I like Da'Rick's potential, but I am curious as to why people think he's the second coming of Jerry Rice.

There is a reason this kid couldnt stick to an NFL roster before he made it here to Indy. Love his talent, love his ability, but let's slow down on him a smidge.

I'd like to see DHB get more screens and slants. His drop problems come on mostly longer passes, keep them short and just use his size for 4 to 5 yards gains with the chance to break off a long one. A short passing game is the same as a running game and worked well for the patriots for years.

That's actually where most of his drops came from. The first Texans game he dropped atleast two slant routes and the Denver game I remember he dropped a screen pass that he could of scored on had he caught it.

I know everyone is saying throw deep more because we have a lot of speed on the field, but unless Luck gets semi decent protection, he won't have the time to launch it deep down the field.

That's actually where most of his drops came from. The first Texans game he dropped atleast two slant routes and the Denver game I remember he dropped a screen pass that he could of scored on had he caught it.

I know everyone is saying throw deep more because we have a lot of speed on the field, but unless Luck gets semi decent protection, he won't have the time to launch it deep down the field.

The protection has not been nearly as problematic. You look at 29 sacks and a bunch of hits and pressures and assume that the protection is awful, but for the most part, the protection has been adequate. Even in the Titans game, when Luck got sacked 5 times, most of those sacks were due to poor pocket work by Luck and a hesitance to throw the ball.

I don't think just throwing it deep is the answer; teams are keying on Hilton to take away the deep ball. But if we wanted to, we could take more deep shots, easily. The protection isn't preventing that.

The protection has not been nearly as problematic. You look at 29 sacks and a bunch of hits and pressures and assume that the protection is awful, but for the most part, the protection has been adequate. Even in the Titans game, when Luck got sacked 5 times, most of those sacks were due to poor pocket work by Luck and a hesitance to throw the ball.

I don't think just throwing it deep is the answer; teams are keying on Hilton to take away the deep ball. But if we wanted to, we could take more deep shots, easily. The protection isn't preventing that.

I guess I need to go back and watch the games again ... "adequate" is definitely not the word I would use to describe the protection.

I guess I need to go back and watch the games again ... "adequate" is definitely not the word I would use to describe the protection.

Maybe adequate paints the wrong picture. The pass protection certainly isn't above reproach. Just saying that protection isn't so terrible that we can't take shots down the field. 

I've seen a mixture of both honestly. Luck does hold on to the ball too long sometimes but it could be for a number of reasons each play. Guys couldn't be open, Luck doesn't go through his reads, Luck doesn't trust the recievers (DHB), protection breaks down etc.

I think people also need to see that since the running game has been non-existent the past few weeks, teams are able to tee off on the pass game. Not to mention playing from behind, which has been the case the past weeks early on in games, plays a factor in passing.

If the Colts want to see any sort of improvement in the passing game, they will need to run the ball better and earlier in the game.

your proof of that is what? a PI call? atleast brazill has made plays. pats game. lions game. give him some reps

All is debateable of course.

3 catches at 14 yds per was a nice thing to see from Brazill last game. Definitely needs more chances.

I wouldn`y play DHB anymore baring injury.

One problem with Brazill from last game was Andrews 38% completion perc. throwing his way.

Of course Andrew kinda sucked that day.

Andrews inaccuracy and limited field vision, and slow decision making is really getting exposed.

I like Da'Rick's potential, but I am curious as to why people think he's the second coming of Jerry Rice.

There is a reason this kid couldnt stick to an NFL roster before he made it here to Indy. Love his talent, love his ability, but let's slow down on him a smidge.

Off the field issues.just throw him the ball and we will see what he does.

"Didn't stick to a roster" is a little far-fetched. He got cut by the Bills because they didn't want a WR who needed to learn the playbook. The wanted a plug n play guy.

So the Bills cut him for off the field issues?

The Bills cut him for being a headcase. Reports say hes very emotionally motivated, meaning he gets fired up when he does well, and can give up when he does poorly. They also wanted a guy who would learn quicker, as with as young as they are, they are still trying to build a higj character base.

If Rogers has matures from his experiences being cut and being a practice squad guy, and can learn from guys like Reggie, it will go well. He has all the potential to be a Randy Moss type reciever, both in the good and bad ways.

Rogers is worth the high upside risk of playing because the blunt fact is right now they simply aren't going to win playoff games with DHB as the guy who has to make catches at critical moments.  Hilton has the big play role downfield, Fleener the shorter stuff and the intermediate/outside stuff is just a complete mess.  Worse case scenario Rogers maybe plays the same as DHB.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Rogers is worth the high upside risk of playing because the blunt fact is right now they simply aren't going to win playoff games with DHB as the guy who has to make catches at critical moments.  Hilton has the big play role downfield, Fleener the shorter stuff and the intermediate/outside stuff is just a complete mess.  Worse case scenario Rogers maybe plays the same as DHB.

Even the fans out there that have zero faith in Rogers, still have to admit, he couldn't be any worse than DHB.

I disagree.  The protection has been horrible all year and it's been exploited by our opponents every game.  It's also the reason that Luck holds onto the ball for longer than it seems he may need to.

Here's the problem.  Our opponents have great success with their base pass rush, be that front 3 or 4.  That frees up more coverage.  That pretty much kneecaps the passing attack.  As long as their D-Lines can get throught the OL and harass Luck by themselves, which is exactly what has been happening all year, then they can jam the middle of the field without sacrificing backfield coverage. 

When they do decide to blitz they often get two or more rushers past the line untouched.  No time for even a hot route when that happens. 

We get better pass protection -> they start having to commit more defenders to the rush -> this forces mismatches -> more guys get open -> a smooth and efficient offense -> touchdown city. Everything hinges on it. 

we need better wr's. not taller ones

We need a better oline and everyone looks better. I believe Luck has lost confidence in himself because that line breaks down so fast that even the rare cases the lines give "adequate" protection, he is expecting it to collapse and he is struggling because of it. There is no doubt that Lucks accuracy is not where we want it and I feel it's mostly due to his being rushed so often even if its not every throw, it's in his head. Im not discounting a lot of wr drops either by all of them but Luck hasn't thrown the best placed balls all season either or to the most open. He has some work to do as well, he will though.

All is debateable of course.

3 catches at 14 yds per was a nice thing to see from Brazill last game. Definitely needs more chances.

I wouldn`y play DHB anymore baring injury.

One problem with Brazill from last game was Andrews 38% completion perc. throwing his way.

Of course Andrew kinda sucked that day.

Andrews inaccuracy and limited field vision, and slow decision making is really getting exposed.

your horrible take on luck is getting exposed

your horrible take on luck is getting exposed

He does have to work on ball placement and doesn't consistently make the easier throw when he should, A perfect example of this is at the 8:29 mark of the 4th quarter vs Miami where he looked at Whalen who was wide open in the left flat but Luck double pumped, stepped up into the pocket and forced a throw to a completely covered Reggie Wayne in the end zone with the Colts down 24-20...turned out to be the final score

He does have to work on ball placement and doesn't consistently make the easier throw when he should, A perfect example of this is at the 8:29 mark of the 4th quarter vs Miami where he looked at Whalen who was wide open in the left flat but Luck double pumped, stepped up into the pocket and forced a throw to a completely covered Reggie Wayne in the end zone with the Colts down 24-20...turned out to be the final score

i am not saying luck is without flaws. Just that that dude is overly critical. Keep luck clean and a lot of the problems go away

Heck the best example is the play where Reggie tore his ACL.  If Luck throws that ball clean Reggie makes an easy catch for a huge first down. 

Now I know Luck was under some pressure on that play but it was a bad throw by Luck that he could have made.  Luck is wild with the football at times and doesn't always make the best decision.  However, he's a second year player this is what they do.  However, it's also fair to point out it's something he needs to work on. 

Heck the best example is the play where Reggie tore his ACL.  If Luck throws that ball clean Reggie makes an easy catch for a huge first down. 

Now I know Luck was under some pressure on that play but it was a bad throw by Luck that he could have made.  Luck is wild with the football at times and doesn't always make the best decision.  However, he's a second year player this is what they do.  However, it's also fair to point out it's something he needs to work on. 

I haven't seen many games this year, but in the ones I have seen, my thoughts are that Luck is looking downfield with one eye, and keeping the other eye on the rush.  I've seen him throw from his heels a few times where i thought he was "feeling" a rush that had yet to materialized.

I don't think he's going to be a David Carr, but I do think he's getting a bit gun shy.  It's definitely affecting his passing accuracy, in my opinion.

Wait a minute, I thought you were me. If I'm not you, then who the hell am I?

reggie is working with dhb, we may see something in the near future

Reggie looked pretty disappointed in DHB on that big drop he had last week.  It was a drive killer and he likely would have scored had he been able to secure the catch.  You could see the reaction to a man on that Colts sideline...most notably Reggie.  It looked like he was saying, "COME ON MAAAAAN!"   :lol: