Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Colts will pay tribute to Manning in Week 7 [Merge]

Superman

My sentiments, exactly.   I think this is very Classy of Jim Irsay to do, and for him  to set the tone for fans, letting them know it Really is Okay to be Thankful for all Peyton did for the City and Organization.   

Of course, once the Tribute is over, and it's Game On..... I would expect Colts Fans will  behave as they would against any other opponent.

Hey Gramz, So, are you going to the game?

Did you find someone to make you that 1/2 Manning (bronco), 1/2 Luck jersey?     :)

Someone should have mass produced it, and sold it out.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is crazy, and must be a midwest thing. When Ed Reed came to Baltimore, he received polite cheers from fans, which is appropriate for someone like himself, or a Peyton Manning, but he's not getting any kind of tribute from the Ravens as a current member of the Texans. I could see cheering for Manning when he came out and being classy, but a tribute to a Bronco before a critical game that could decide the top seed, and home field in the AFC ? Frankly, I'm stunned. 

The fitting time for this kind of tribute would be when Manning retires, coming back for an old timer's game, ROH ceremony, or 2006 Super Bowl reunion. I understand Irsay is trying to do a nice thing, but the time for a tribute isn't October 20th, with everything on the line. 

A midwest thing?? Jeez.  You have a problem with this because it don't fit into your made up mind illusion of Irsay and Manning hating each other. You been talking that up for over a week now. Now it's not fitting to you??  Besides Ed Reed was a great player but not even close to being in the same category of Manning. Could it be the Colts and Irsay has more class than the Ravens? We all remember the NFL had to force the Ravens to use the Colt name on their scoreboard instead of Indy. I suppose you think that move was classy? 

Hey Gramz, So, are you going to the game?

Did you find someone to make you that 1/2 Manning (bronco), 1/2 Luck jersey?     :)

Someone should have mass produced it, and sold it out.

I am going to the game....

I am not wearing a 1/2  and 1/2 Jersey.

I think it's a great gesture on irsay's part, but the team has had a history of this for players that have returned here.  Heck I even remember one for Ryan Lilja when he was with the Chiefs and they played in Indy.  This is nothing new, and I would've been shocked if they didn't do something for Manning.  I do expect it to be the best tribute that they've done for previous players though, as he was something truly special to this team, city, and state.

There is nothing crafty, manipulative, or genius about it, it's the right thing to do, and something that this team has always done.  Whether other teams have done it, or would do it....it doesn't matter.  Irsay always does things differently and most of the time does them the right way....this is just another example of him doing things right.

The whole night is going to be exciting, strange, and emotional at the same time.

Also, how odd having one of the most beloved characters in Colts history, and one of the most hated characters in Colts history in the building at the same time. And both with the opposition.

The whole night is going to be exciting, strange, and emotional at the same time.

Also, how odd having one of the most beloved characters in Colts history, and one of the most hated characters in Colts history in the building at the same time. And both with the opposition.

Can't say I ever understood the hate for Elway. Robert Irsay made his bed.....

Can't say I ever understood the hate for Elway. Robert Irsay made his bed.....

Logically, I understand that.

Emotionally, I need a villain, and it can't be my favorite team.

You know, why wouldn't someone want to play for my favorite team?

That's my logic anyway.

Elway doesn't know I hate him, and wouldn't care if he did.

So, we're good.

What if he ends up throwing a pick-six in the game's final seonds that wins the game for us - then he proceeds to rip off his Bronco jersey, revealing his Colts jersey underneath.  I was thinking the same thing about AV when he faced the Pats in NE for the 1st time.  He misses a FG then rips off his jersey to reveal a Pats jersey underneath. 

That would be AWESOME!!!!

I'd wait till his career is over and pay tribute then. The players can separate business from sentimentalness no doubt but how many of the fans can do that? especially IF we get down big in that game, which I dont think will happen at home. Now I dont think this will blow up in Irsays face (And I have no doubt Jim has even thought about that possibility....who wouldn't in this situation?)and I would hope the fans dont all start turning on Irsay and Andrew but I think we all know without a doubt that some will and maybe even if we win(maybe even on this very forum)...which I think is a good possibility. well deserved tribute no question about it but I just think wrong time

Clearly all that was caused by those thugs from Boston......

actually it was a pretty even split, the one fight i broke up was of a guy getting the crap beat out of him while he was trying to take a leak while wearing a Tom Brady jersey at half time... apparently he was running his mouth about Peyton choking again and some drunk and angry colts fans had enough. One guy went to jail on that one, and the victim taken to the hospital.

actually it was a pretty even split, the one fight i broke up was of a guy getting the crap beat out of him while he was trying to take a leak while wearing a Tom Brady jersey at half time... apparently he was running his mouth about Peyton choking again and some drunk and angry colts fans had enough. One guy went to jail on that one, and the victim taken to the hospital.

Just for the record, I was just joking.

How are they honoring him?

here is my  Comment #  28,  

Jim Irsay said during the NFL owners’ meeting earlier this week that the team is planningto pay tribute to Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning prior to their Sunday night game at Indy’s Lucas Oil Stadium on Oct. 20.

Details of the Manning tribute are still being finalized.

It may be tricky because it’s difficult to believe Manning would break from his pregame routine to watch a video montage of himself.

Perhaps, the best the Colts can do is introduce Manning with the starting lineup. That’s what Tampa Bay did for John Lynch in 2004 and Philadelphia for Brian Dawkins in 2009. It didn’t disrupt the game and they received thunderous applause.

“We’re going to have a great tribute,” Irsay told the Indy Star. “It’s going to be something where you go into it wanting to have a lot of fun, where you love Peyton as a Colt fan, but now we’re competing against him.”

http://blogs.denverp...ext-week/22352/

INDY STAR

will include a gracious reception from the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts are planning a tribute for Manning to acknowledge his remarkable contributions during 14 seasons with the franchise, team owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports.

Details — including the extent of the tribute, which will likely occur during pregame festivities for the nationally-televised Sunday night game — are still being finalized.

http://www.indystar....ing-Oct-20-game

any pregame may actually be a distraction for Peyton & company

Peyton has a precise routine  of x minutes practice ending x minutes before game time then stay in locker

Had to do it a few times then couldnt Vs ravens due to many continued delays from lightning

I've been to over 100 games at the dome/LOS. I've never seen one fight

I've never seen a fight but I've seen the paddy wagon after the game........and the police loading people into it

Where there is alcohol.........there will be poor choices

It's not crazy at all if you've paid any attention to what Jim Irsay has done for ex-players since he's taken over as owner. In fact this is normal operating procedure for him when an ex star has come back to the play the Colts.  More proof that he isn't his father and isn't nearly as bad of a guy as some would like him to be.

I wonder how Peyton feels about this. Will it be a destraction to his pre game preparation ? Who knows. Will it distract the Colts preparation ? Irsay seems to be the kind of owner that wants to be liked desperately. He is much more fan friendly than most owners , and interacts with fans through social media unlike any owner I've ever seen. I don't know many owners that give tributes to ex players coming back with opposing teams. He obviously isn't his father, who was a virtual recluse and generally communicated through attorney Chernoff.

I appreciate the gesture he is making towards Manning, and recognize it is somewhat of an unprecedented situation with Manning, but I would be concentrating on getting the team ready for a critical game, then working on a tribute to an opposing quarterback. It is the timing of it I question. I also believe this is an indicator that the relationship had been strained , and Irsay believes this is a step towards a better relationship. I'm also sure Irsay is aware of the historical implications if Manning continues to have record breaking seasons in Denver, and brings them possible future Super Bowls. I'm sure he would prefer Manning be best remembered as a Colt.

I wonder how Peyton feels about this. Will it be a destraction to his pre game preparation ? Who knows. Will it distract the Colts preparation ? Irsay seems to be the kind of owner that wants to be liked desperately. He is much more fan friendly than most owners , and interacts with fans through social media unlike any owner I've ever seen. I don't know many owners that give tributes to ex players coming back with opposing teams. He obviously isn't his father, who was a virtual recluse and generally communicated through attorney Chernoff.

I appreciate the gesture he is making towards Manning, and recognize it is somewhat of an unprecedented situation with Manning, but I would be concentrating on getting the team ready for a critical game, then working on a tribute to an opposing quarterback. It is the timing of it I question. I also believe this is an indicator that the relationship had been strained , and Irsay believes this is a step towards a better relationship. I'm also sure Irsay is aware of the historical implications if Manning continues to have record breaking seasons in Denver, and brings them possible future Super Bowls. I'm sure he would prefer Manning be best remembered as a Colt.

you need to stop with the strained relationship nonsense. Irsay and the colts have done this for many former, players

you need to stop with the strained relationship nonsense. Irsay and the colts have done this for many former, players

So you are an insider to the Irsay/Manning relationship ? I'm assuming since they have not talked, as far as we know since the press conference, lets just say if not strained, distant, professional, and perhaps cool. Remember, the other players didn't have the same circumstances of their departure, with the media circus, accompanying tweets saying the guy was a politician, and not keeping comments in the family, when both camps were volleying stuff back and forth. Not to mention the 28 million dollar bonus that wasn't paid , when it supposedly wasn't about the money. Sure in the press conference all the right things were said, but you've really heard nothing since this tribute, of any communication between the two. 

The Denver Post reported on October 10th that, " It may be tricky because it's difficult to believe Manning would break from his pregame routine to watch a video montage of himself. " Perhaps Manning views this as a distraction, we don't know, but no comments about this from Manning yet. 

A midwest thing?? Jeez.  You have a problem with this because it don't fit into your made up mind illusion of Irsay and Manning hating each other. You been talking that up for over a week now. Now it's not fitting to you??  Besides Ed Reed was a great player but not even close to being in the same category of Manning. Could it be the Colts and Irsay has more class than the Ravens? We all remember the NFL had to force the Ravens to use the Colt name on their scoreboard instead of Indy. I suppose you think that move was classy?

I'm not saying Irsay and Manning hate each other , but there has been very little communication , leading to conjecture. Let's put it in terms we can all understand from a business standpoint. You started working for a company in 1998 that was not very successful. For. 13 years you gave it everything you had, made this company one of the top ones around, and signed another contract. However , you have a bad neck injury that puts you career in jeopardy. You tell the boss that you will do everything in your power to get back. You are owed a 28 million dollar bonus, but the boss has made a business decision to not pay the bonus , and move onto a younger guy in that position. How do you feel ? Put all the emotions aside , you're dealing with a guys livelyhood and money , when he's at his lowest ebb trying to recover from an injury. It is a business , but you could see from a business perspective why the guy released wouldn't be happy.

On the other front, who cares if the Colts or Indy are on the scoreboard in Baltimore. I would always put Ravens versus the city of the team they are playing for all teams. I think that stuff has mostly died down, especially after the 2nd Super Bowl win. .

I'm not saying Irsay and Manning hate each other , but there has been very little communication.

Just how much "communication"  do players of opposing teams (former players included)  normally have with  Owners of said opposing and/or former team....??

I have relatives and friends, and yes former employers who I may not see or communicate with for a few years,  nothing derogatory, just life and work gets in the way.    When we do meet up,  it's always good.

side note:  How does anyone know how much, or how little, if any, communication has gone on between them.

Not Everything is done for public knowledge, and/or opinion.

Edited by Gramz