Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Colts will pay tribute to Manning in Week 7 [Merge]

Superman

This is what I'd hoped all along.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9801841/jim-irsay-says-indianapolis-colts-honor-peyton-manning-denver-broncos-week-7

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Colts will not give quarterback Peyton Manning the cold shoulder when he returns to Lucas Oil Stadium with the Denver Broncos on Oct. 20.

The Colts plan to honor Manning for his 14 seasons with the organization when the Colts and Broncos play in Week 7, owner Jim Irsay told USA Today Sports.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will get a loud standing ovation when he comes out for his first series but after that he is the enemy for the next 60 minutes.

obviously peyton is gonna get mad respect from the fans, but what Im afraid of is the fans getting timid and not treating peyton like just another opponent  

obviously peyton is gonna get mad respect from the fans, but what Im afraid of is the fans getting timid and not treating peyton like just another opponent

I think our fans understand the situation. You can show him the respect he deserves but still try and give him trouble. One thing that's certain is nobody wants to see a Manning to Welker TD at LOS.

I am sure we will have some * fans that will boo him during this ceremony.  After the ceremony I am completely fine with booing and making him feel as uncomfortable as possible here in LOS. After the ceremony he is the enemy and hopefully the fans treat him as such,

It is nice though that Irsay is going to honor him and everything he did for the city and franchise.

Not surprised, I remember seeing a few  tribute videos played on the big screen when former Colts would return to Indy to play, (David Thornton comes to mind, think I've seen a few others, but can't think of who right now,-maybe Jake Scott & Cato June)...

Of course Manning is on a total different level & therefore the tribute should somehow reflect that...

Man I  bet the Luc will get a little sentimental that night!!! 

Not surprised, I remember seeing a few  tribute videos played on the big screen when former Colts would return to Indy to play, (David Thornton comes to mind, think I've seen a few others, but can't think of who right now,-maybe Jake Scott & Cato June)...

Of course Manning is on a total different level & therefore the tribute should somehow reflect that...

Man I  bet the Luc will get a little sentimental that night!!! 

*Cough* Edgerrin James *Cough* *Cough*

I am sure we will have some * fans that will boo him during this ceremony.  After the ceremony I am completely fine with booing and making him feel as uncomfortable as possible here in LOS. After the ceremony he is the enemy and hopefully the fans treat him as such,

It is nice though that Irsay is going to honor him and everything he did for the city and franchise.

I just don't see it happening. I know there are some fans who adamantly felt that moving on was the right thing, but I don't think many fans were happy to see him go. Regardless how you feel about his legacy or his accomplishments, I don't think there's anything but respect for Peyton Manning among Colts fans. 

I would be highly disappointed if anyone was dumb enough to boo Manning next week. That would really, really irritate me.

very classy, but thats the only time the fans better be cheering for him.

That's what I'm saying I want to see loyal true COLTS fans that night. Yes we should cheer for Manning's terrific years with them, but we should also be an incredibly LOUD 12th man to make it harder for Manning. All I want to see is Colts football shutdown the Broncos. That would be the highlight reel of the year! 

What if he ends up throwing a pick-six in the game's final seonds that wins the game for us - then he proceeds to rip off his Bronco jersey, revealing his Colts jersey underneath.  I was thinking the same thing about AV when he faced the Pats in NE for the 1st time.  He misses a FG then rips off his jersey to reveal a Pats jersey underneath. 

Of course the colts will honor him

That's what they do when players return

My guess is this game has got to be weird for Manning.  This was his home for a long long time

I don't care how focused you are.  Manning loves it here. And people love him right back. That hasn't changed

My sentiments, exactly.   I think this is very Classy of Jim Irsay to do, and for him  to set the tone for fans, letting them know it Really is Okay to be Thankful for all Peyton did for the City and Organization.   

Of course, once the Tribute is over, and it's Game On..... I would expect Colts Fans will  behave as they would against any other opponent.

Realy noit sure if this NFL general or Colt section , hope got right

Jim Irsay said during the NFL owners’ meeting earlier this week that the team is planningto pay tribute to Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning prior to their Sunday night game at Indy’s Lucas Oil Stadium on Oct. 20.

Details of the Manning tribute are still being finalized.

It may be tricky because it’s difficult to believe Manning would break from his pregame routine to watch a video montage of himself.

Perhaps, the best the Colts can do is introduce Manning with the starting lineup. That’s what Tampa Bay did for John Lynch in 2004 and Philadelphia for Brian Dawkins in 2009. It didn’t disrupt the game and they received thunderous applause.

“We’re going to have a great tribute,” Irsay told the Indy Star. “It’s going to be something where you go into it wanting to have a lot of fun, where you love Peyton as a Colt fan, but now we’re competing against him.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/10/10/colts-to-honor-peyton-manning-next-week/22352/

INDY STAR

will include a gracious reception from the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts are planning a tribute for Manning to acknowledge his remarkable contributions during 14 seasons with the franchise, team owner Jim Irsay told USA TODAY Sports.

Details — including the extent of the tribute, which will likely occur during pregame festivities for the nationally-televised Sunday night game — are still being finalized.

http://www.indystar.com/interactive/article/20131009/SPORTS03/310090059/Colts-will-pay-tribute-Peyton-Manning-Oct-20-game

any pregame may actually be a distraction for Peyton & company

Peyton has a precise routine  of x minutes practice ending x minutes before game time then stay in locker

Had to do it a few times then couldnt Vs ravens due to many continued delays from lightning

Of course the colts will honor him

That's what they do when players return

My guess is this game has got to be weird for Manning.  This was his home for a long long time

I don't care how focused you are.  Manning loves it here. And people love him right back. That hasn't changed

That's what I was thinking. It's nice to do this but it's gotta make Manning feel just a little bit awkward.

I just don't see it happening. I know there are some fans who adamantly felt that moving on was the right thing, but I don't think many fans were happy to see him go. Regardless how you feel about his legacy or his accomplishments, I don't think there's anything but respect for Peyton Manning among Colts fans. 

I would be highly disappointed if anyone was dumb enough to boo Manning next week. That would really, really irritate me.

I would think nobody would boo except for maybe a few *s, but you never know fans can be rather dumb when it comes to sports.

My biggest worry is that the fans will be to pro Manning with him coming back.  I am fine with everyone giving him a standing ovation during this honor ceremony, but once that is done the guy is the enemy and should be treated as if he was Tom Brady.  I can just see a lot of fans being to nice and not making noise or even actually kind of rooting when Peyton throws a touchdown or a big first down.

Jim Irsay is a very smart man.

Yep.

This is a classic case of giving no ammunition for second guessers of the decision. "Hey, I gave him the due respect he deserved, and did it formally. What more do you want me to do? " Irsay can ask and rightfully so. :)

Plus, this diffuses a bit of tension too. Maybe Peyton won't be as fired up as he could be spent a bit emotionally???? ;)

Yep.

This is a classic case of giving no ammunition for second guessers of the decision. "Hey, I gave him the due respect he deserved, and did it formally. What more do you want me to do? " Irsay can ask and rightfully so. :)

Plus, this diffuses a bit of tension too. Maybe Peyton won't be as fired up as he could be spent a bit emotionally???? ;)

Peyton will still be "fired up".....   He may be a bit emotional, as expected,  but I think playing his brother is pretty emotional for him too,  granted it's not quite the same, but emotional nonetheless...   And we know how those meetings went.