Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Colts will pay tribute to Manning in Week 7 [Merge]

Superman

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be some fights in the stands. I can guarantee it.. after all.. they do sell lots of beer at LOS. Wait.. there are fights everygame due to beer consumption. lmao

I doubt it. The home crowd has a pretty good rep for being well behaved.

This is BRILLIANT on INDY's part..   

Manning is very conscientious of his image.      This is a Jedi mind trick in play by Indy..    

Manning will start crying and balling all over himself..  

Good call by Indy..      We will need all the help we can get..     

This is crazy, and must be a midwest thing. When Ed Reed came to Baltimore, he received polite cheers from fans, which is appropriate for someone like himself, or a Peyton Manning, but he's not getting any kind of tribute from the Ravens as a current member of the Texans. I could see cheering for Manning when he came out and being classy, but a tribute to a Bronco before a critical game that could decide the top seed, and home field in the AFC ? Frankly, I'm stunned. 

The fitting time for this kind of tribute would be when Manning retires, coming back for an old timer's game, ROH ceremony, or 2006 Super Bowl reunion. I understand Irsay is trying to do a nice thing, but the time for a tribute isn't October 20th, with everything on the line. 

This is crazy, and must be a midwest thing. When Ed Reed came to Baltimore, he received polite cheers from fans, which is appropriate for someone like himself, or a Peyton Manning, but he's not getting any kind of tribute from the Ravens as a current member of the Texans. I could see cheering for Manning when he came out and being classy, but a tribute to a Bronco before a critical game that could decide the top seed, and home field in the AFC ? Frankly, I'm stunned. 

The fitting time for this kind of tribute would be when Manning retires, coming back for an old timer's game, ROH ceremony, or 2006 Super Bowl reunion. I understand Irsay is trying to do a nice thing, but the time for a tribute isn't October 20th, with everything on the line. 

i'm not sure if you truly understand the impact manning had on this city

i'm not sure if you truly understand the impact manning had on this city

No, I do. He's impacted me as an opposing fan with his skill and classy demeanor. However, if Unitas came in with the Chargers, I wouldn't expect the owner to give him a pregame tribute before a critical game.

Peyton always plays better with an axe to grind, and this could be a brilliant move by Irsay to throw him off  before the game, who knows. He's probably just trying to do a nice thing, but it's kind of a strange thing to see when you could possibly have a 5-1 team going against an opposing 6-0 team, while Colt's players see the owner and the fans give tribute to the Denver quarterback.

To me, this just makes things all the more interesting. I'll be tuned into the game ! 

No, I do. He's impacted me as an opposing fan with his skill and classy demeanor. However, if Unitas came in with the Chargers, I wouldn't expect the owner to give him a pregame tribute before a critical game.

Peyton always plays better with an axe to grind, and this could be a brilliant move by Irsay to throw him off  before the game, who knows. He's probably just trying to do a nice thing, but it's kind of a strange thing to see when you could possibly have a 5-1 team going against an opposing 6-0 team, while Colt's players see the owner and the fans give tribute to the Denver quarterback.

To me, this just makes things all the more interesting. I'll be tuned into the game ! 

yeah i agree it is odd. but fate put us in this odd predicament. the guy turned indy into a football city

Yep.

This is a classic case of giving no ammunition for second guessers of the decision. "Hey, I gave him the due respect he deserved, and did it formally. What more do you want me to do? " Irsay can ask and rightfully so. :)

Plus, this diffuses a bit of tension too. Maybe Peyton won't be as fired up as he could be spent a bit emotionally???? ;)

He is a crafty old fox.

I would argue that happened in 1995 with the great playoff run...     With Faulk, and Potts injured. 

That is when "IT" happened..      Indy got a taste of it...    and it felt GOOD.

IMO.....

yeah i agree it is odd. but fate put us in this odd predicament. the guy turned indy into a football city

Peyton will still be "fired up".....   He may be a bit emotional, as expected,  but I think playing his brother is pretty emotional for him too,  granted it's not quite the same, but emotional nonetheless...   And we know how those meetings went.

This game wont even be close, to the emotions he feels when he beats on Eli.

I never saw him cry when he played Eli. This will be the most emotional game he plays in his entire career. What Irsay is doing is BRILLANT.

If the Colts beat the Broncos, thy will probably be listed as #1 in power rankings.  Which means we could say "Started from the bottom: 2-14 and #32 in power rankings in 2011 and now we're here: 6-1 atop the AFC and #1 in power rankings.  Sorry, just came into my head, had to say while I had it in my head.

I never saw him cry when he played Eli. This will be the most emotional game he plays in his entire career. What Irsay is doing is BRILLANT.

I agree, this dwarfs anything with Eli. This could be Irsay being crafty, and may take off some of the edge Manning might have had . The big difference here is this isn't some washed up quarterback coming in to play his old team , this is a quarterback coming back at age 37, who is still at the top of his game, when many bet against him with the neck surgery. These are some uncharted waters here. 

It may be the most emotional game he'll play in,  I'll give you that....  

However, You really don't give Mr. Irsay enough credit for WHY he is really doing this.    It's about Character, it's about Honor and  Respect, It's about knowing this is the Right thing to do.  

There is a part of me that hopes he gets really confused with all the blue jerseys and tosses up a few INTs to our guys on D lol.

No, but seriously...I'd expect nothing less from the Colts organization. Manning's contributions go beyond football, which is why I think it's so important to thank him during his first time back.

I've seen Zero trouble at the games I've attended in Indy

Now, the Bengals stadium.... haha different story..

I beg to differ. I worked security for the colts in 2006/2007. That AFC championship game between NE and Indy, things got out of control. I personally broke up 6 fights between the 2nd quarter and the middle of the 3rd. We had impd arrest 2 individuals at half time one being a kentucky state cop drunk off his rear and upset cause he has to sit next to a patriot fan. And then post game about a dozen fans tried to flip the NBC van parked up on the ledge at the dome. And almost succeeded.

It's a pretty good move to keep Manning a Colt at heart.... Manning breaking records under new team, and if he gets a ring or two with new team if treated horrible going back to Indy why would he want to retire a Colt? Just my two cents

I don't think he would be treated horrible if he was not honored . . . he left on fine terms and never said anything negative about colts or fans, so not sure why the fans or team would treat him badly . . . .

I beg to differ. I worked security for the colts in 2006/2007. That AFC championship game between NE and Indy, things got out of control. I personally broke up 6 fights between the 2nd quarter and the middle of the 3rd. We had impd arrest 2 individuals at half time one being a kentucky state cop drunk off his rear and upset cause he has to sit next to a patriot fan. And then post game about a dozen fans tried to flip the NBC van parked up on the ledge at the dome. And almost succeeded.

I take you at your word, and believe this to be true.  I was not at that game.    I just simply stated,  I had never seen any trouble in all the games I'd been to, and you can't beg to differ with that.   ;)

hmm. . . . was not really sure how to take this news at first . . . there are no real precedent that I can think of . . . surely a honoring was going to happen sometime down the road and at least at the point he retired and could come back for a half time talk, presents, and so on . . . this will likely happen anyways . . .

And given that Peyton may not come back to Indy, given the home away and ever third year one plays the same division, he may never come back here again, unless the colts/broncos end up in the same seed . . .. so Isray had to act if he wanted to act, plus it his first game back . . .

I think as some have said, it will be a nice way to diffuse the situation . . . given the importance of the game for both teams, it might be nice to get any possible feelings out of the way that might effect the game . . . yes it might take the edge off of "we want to kill our opponent" but at the same time if you get out all of the hand shakes, thank you Peytons, okay your back, Peyton can thank the crowd and vice versa, and there is some degree of interaction between the fans and Peyton, I think there will be less uneasiness during the playing of the game as Peyton has had an opportunity to personally thank the fans and vice versa . . .

And too it gives Isray an opportunity to thank Peyton and allows him to be honored for what he has done for the city . . . so overall I am glad that Isray is doing it . . .

Then after that the colts can release Mathis in for a sack . . . he he . . .  

It's not crazy at all if you've paid any attention to what Jim Irsay has done for ex-players since he's taken over as owner. In fact this is normal operating procedure for him when an ex star has come back to the play the Colts.  More proof that he isn't his father and isn't nearly as bad of a guy as some would like him to be. 

However, You really don't give Mr. Irsay enough credit for WHY he is really doing this.    It's about Character, it's about Honor and  Respect, It's about knowing this is the Right thing to do.

I didn't say WHY he was or wasnt doing this. I said he was crafty as a fox. I also said he was brilliant.

You came to that conclusion on your own. I'll give you that....

Spot on. This is not an Irsay ploy, this is a genuine gesture of total respect for the guy. Full stop.

If this was the first time Irsay had done something like this for an ex-player I would think there is a little something to Irsay trying to get under Manning's skin.  However, he has a long track record of doing this for guys like Edge, Saturday, and Stokley.  I think he's honestly doing this to say thank you just as he has for other former Colts. 

Clearly all that was caused by those thugs from Boston......

My sentiments, exactly.   I think this is very Classy of Jim Irsay to do, and for him  to set the tone for fans, letting them know it Really is Okay to be Thankful for all Peyton did for the City and Organization.   

Of course, once the Tribute is over, and it's Game On..... I would expect Colts Fans will  behave as they would against any other opponent.

Manning wouldn't expect anything else either.