Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Colts will pay tribute to Manning in Week 7 [Merge]

Superman

I would rather them not have to play but since they do I want the Colts to win.  If Manning has to have a bad game for that happen so be it.  It doesn't mean I am cheering against Manning I am cheering for the Colts.  If others want something else to happen that is well with in their right. 

With that said I will worry about this in a week.  The Colts have a very dangerous game with the Chargers Monday Night.  This is going to be a much harder get than some fans are acting like. 

No worries, our team is focused on the Chargers. We don't have many players left from the Peyton days either so I doubt they are sitting around chatting up a storm over all this like fans are. If we lose I doubt it would have a thing to do with Peyton coming up next....we would get outplayed or beaten on the road. But, I think we find a way to win right now in SD even if it is tough.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, our team is focused on the Chargers. We don't have many players left from the Peyton days either so I doubt they are sitting around chatting up a storm over all this like fans are. If we lose I doubt it would have a thing to do with Peyton coming up next....we would get outplayed or beaten on the road. But, I think we find a way to win right now in SD even if it is tough.

Oh if we don't win I don't think it will be because they are thinking about Peyton.  I just think we could lose on Monday night because the Chargers tend to play us hard and it will just be a hard game.  I am sure even the former Manning guys aren't even thinking about him this week. 

This is BRILLIANT on INDY's part..   

Manning is very conscientious of his image.      This is a Jedi mind trick in play by Indy..    

Manning will start crying and balling all over himself..  

Good call by Indy..      We will need all the help we can get..     

Yes JD, but if Yoda AKA Peyton Manning is the true Jedi Master you claim he is Manning knows that "Age & Treachery Win Over Youth & Skill" --Dr. Thomas Lundeen [Esteemed PH.D. English History Professor that SW1 had in Graduate School] Best class he ever taught was called "Imperialism In Africa & Asia."  :worthy: Translation: Experience does indeed matter. 

It's the classic "Kill your adversary with kindness ploy." Peyton will be the deadly football assassin here not vice verse IMO. This is a business trip not a vacation. Think Brett Favre Returning To Lambeau Field as a Minnesota Viking. Peyton knows what must be done. 

How :censored: dare you tell me "what I meant". What I meant is what I wrote. If you can't comprehend it that's your problem.

Does it make you feel good to fantasize that there aren't thousand upon thousands of Colts fans who hope that Peyton has a brilliant game - completely independent of any other aspects of the game? All that's different about me is that I've got the nerve to say it. And I STILL haven't said a thing about who I'd want to win. Do you know what I really want? For this match-up to NEVER take place. Every aspect of it makes it physically ill. Before the playoffs last year I was begging the football Gods from preventing it from happening, at the same time that many on here were begging for a chance to humiliate one of the most important players in the history of the franchise. WTH?

What are you hoping for, that he completes 10% of his passes and is intercepted 8 times? That he goes home at half-time crying in frustration? Or are you part of the group of "people" on here who openly wish for him to be hurt - something that makes my blood boil. How classy.

Regardless, you should both speak for yourself. I'll do my own talking.

Does it make you feel good to fantasize that there aren’t thousands upon thousands of Colt fans that think we made the right choice? I love how people equate how Peyton is playing with his current all star team with performing the same here with the no name and rookies that we have/had. If that is the case then it is fair for me to say that he would have experienced the same here as Luck did last year, so lets do that. Do you think that Peyton would have had a stellar year looking up from his back 100 + times? Do you think he would have run out of trouble and made throws with people hanging on him? I say no because he could hardly ever do that when he was here. Mostly he would curl up in the fetal position and hope to not loose the ball. I do not think that he would have survived the whole season if he had been here.

So if I am misjudging what you wrote then tell me how exactly that Peyton in your mind is going to prove to Irsay that faith would have been warranted? Is he supposed to go to the middle of the field and dance a gig saying “Look how great I am”? Is he going to go to Irsay”s owners box and say “Look what I am doing now”? Tell me what in your mind that Peyton is going to do to prove the faith.

Don’t criticize me for what you wrote when you won’t admit your feelings to yourself.

I just don't see it happening. I know there are some fans who adamantly felt that moving on was the right thing, but I don't think many fans were happy to see him go. Regardless how you feel about his legacy or his accomplishments, I don't think there's anything but respect for Peyton Manning among Colts fans. 

I would be highly disappointed if anyone was dumb enough to boo Manning next week. That would really, really irritate me.

I agree with that,  Peyton built that stadium.  He deserves respect. 

Does it make you feel good to fantasize that there aren’t thousands upon thousands of Colt fans that think we made the right choice? I love how people equate how Peyton is playing with his current all star team with performing the same here with the no name and rookies that we have/had. If that is the case then it is fair for me to say that he would have experienced the same here as Luck did last year, so lets do that. Do you think that Peyton would have had a stellar year looking up from his back 100 + times? Do you think he would have run out of trouble and made throws with people hanging on him? I say no because he could hardly ever do that when he was here. Mostly he would curl up in the fetal position and hope to not loose the ball. I do not think that he would have survived the whole season if he had been here.

So if I am misjudging what you wrote then tell me how exactly that Peyton in your mind is going to prove to Irsay that faith would have been warranted? Is he supposed to go to the middle of the field and dance a gig saying “Look how great I am”? Is he going to go to Irsay”s owners box and say “Look what I am doing now”? Tell me what in your mind that Peyton is going to do to prove the faith.

Don’t criticize me for what you wrote when you won’t admit your feelings to yourself.

we made the right choice , had to think about future of team

is nice to fantasize about trading that # 1 pick for all the draft picks colts could of got and have Pagano & staff work with that to give Peyton a balanced team, but its still just fantasizing

of Interest , with 1 of those picks we may have taken T. Richardson and still got him now

also could have taken a troubled Blackmon one has to wonder if Peyton could of controlled his outside team issues, Von Miller started before Peyton Got there

still its fantaasy

The right choice of Luck & staff was made, if not seen at the time , u can see it now

we made the right choice , had to think about future of team

is nice to fantasize about trading that # 1 pick for all the draft picks colts could of got and have Pagano & staff work with that to give Peyton a balanced team, but its still just fantasizing

of Interest , with 1 of those picks we may have taken T. Richardson and still got him now

also could have taken a troubled Blackmon one has to wonder if Peyton could of controlled his outside team issues, Von Miller started before Peyton Got there

still its fantaasy

The right choice of Luck & staff was made, if not seen at the time , u can see it now

I always have thougt we did. As much as I hated to see Peyton go I felt it was time to end the type of team we were and start to become the team that we are.

How :censored: dare you tell me "what I meant". What I meant is what I wrote. If you can't comprehend it that's your problem.

Does it make you feel good to fantasize that there aren't thousand upon thousands of Colts fans who hope that Peyton has a brilliant game - completely independent of any other aspects of the game? All that's different about me is that I've got the nerve to say it. And I STILL haven't said a thing about who I'd want to win. Do you know what I really want? For this match-up to NEVER take place. Every aspect of it makes it physically ill. Before the playoffs last year I was begging the football Gods from preventing it from happening, at the same time that many on here were begging for a chance to humiliate one of the most important players in the history of the franchise. WTH?

What are you hoping for, that he completes 10% of his passes and is intercepted 8 times? That he goes home at half-time crying in frustration? Or are you part of the group of "people" on here who openly wish for him to be hurt - something that makes my blood boil. How classy.

Regardless, you should both speak for yourself. I'll do my own talking.

If you hoped that Denver would never play Indy then you are living in the dream world that I thought you were.

If there are any Colts fans that hope that Peyton has a brilliant game, they are not Colts fans. They are Peyton fans. That is fine so be it. But don’t come on here and say that you are a Colts fan but want Peyton to win. If you hate Irsay and Love Peyton that much then stop claiming that you are a Colts fan because you are not. Do I hope Peyton gets hurt NO!!!!!!! Do I hope Peyton looses YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Interpret that JACK

If you hoped that Denver would never play Indy then you are living in the dream world that I thought you were.

If there are any Colts fans that hope that Peyton has a brilliant game, they are not Colts fans. They are Peyton fans. That is fine so be it. But don’t come on here and say that you are a Colts fan but want Peyton to win. If you hate Irsay and Love Peyton that much then stop claiming that you are a Colts fan because you are not. Do I hope Peyton gets hurt NO!!!!!!! Do I hope Peyton looses YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Interpret that JACK

loses*

don't worry , i misspell all the time , check my signature

I've never understood why people feel the need to correct spelling on a forum.  This isn't something like writing a major paper in college it's a much more informal form of communications one in which aberrations and other things are used all the time.  To me people often correct spelling when they have nothing else to go to but don't like what a poster said.  It's a pretty weak counter IMO. 

Do you realize that we seem to be having two completely different conversations?

MAC: "I love cream cheese"

FFTW: "Noooooooooo, BRATISLAVA is the capital of Slovakia".

"Right Choice"? WHERE did I say that it was the wrong choice?. I stated very clearly that I understood why they did it and that I accepted it. I stated very clearly that I have no interest in rehashing that ancient argument. I also stated very clearly that I WANTED them to keep Manning - REGARDLESS OF HOW IT WOULD HAVE PLAYED OUT ON THE FIELD. Stop arguing that it was the "right" decision, that has NOTHING  to do with this.

"Is he supposed to go to the middle of the field and dance a gig saying “Look how great I am”? Is he going to go to Irsay”s owners box and say “Look what I am doing now”?":

All of that would be consistent with your "stick it to Irsay" comment that I was offended by your ascribing to me in the first place. I said absolutely nothing of the kind.

Let me be more specific.  I was never angry with Irsay for letting Peyton go - I felt sorry for him. Nor would I think that Peyton is angry with him either. I've assumed since day one that if Peyton was to win a Super Bowl, Irsay would be right there waiting to shake his hand - probably crying in the process. I have no desire to see Irsay humiliated in any fashion - he's the owner of my team! ALL I said was that Manning had to be hurt by the fact that the Colts "lost faith" in him, and is looking forward to demonstrating that he is all the way back. Irsay has been following him from a distance, but it's different when it happens right in front of you. Irsay will applaud his performance like the gentleman he is - and mean it. But maybe if the performance is good enough there's a little element of doubt introduced into the back of his mind: " I didn't think that he could make it all the way back - I was wrong. That's still the greatest QB of all time - and I let him go."

"Won't admit my feelings to myself". HOW the heck do you imagine that you know what's going on inside my head? Are you a psychic? I've been pretty darn specific here - anything else is what you are projecting on me.

Do you realize that we seem to be having two completely different conversations?

MAC: "I love cream cheese"

FFTW: "Noooooooooo, BRATISLAVA is the capital of Slovakia".

"Right Choice"? WHERE did I say that it was the wrong choice?. I stated very clearly that I understood why they did it and that I accepted it. I stated very clearly that I have no interest in rehashing that ancient argument. I also stated very clearly that I WANTED them to keep Manning - REGARDLESS OF HOW IT WOULD HAVE PLAYED OUT ON THE FIELD. Stop arguing that it was the "right" decision, that has NOTHING  to do with this.

"Is he supposed to go to the middle of the field and dance a gig saying “Look how great I am”? Is he going to go to Irsay”s owners box and say “Look what I am doing now”?":

All of that would be consistent with your "stick it to Irsay" comment that I was offended by your ascribing to me in the first place. I said absolutely nothing of the kind.

Let me be more specific.  I was never angry with Irsay for letting Peyton go - I felt sorry for him. Nor would I think that Peyton is angry with him either. I've assumed since day one that if Peyton was to win a Super Bowl, Irsay would be right there waiting to shake his hand - probably crying in the process. I have no desire to see Irsay humiliated in any fashion - he's the owner of my team! ALL I said was that Manning had to be hurt by the fact that the Colts "lost faith" in him, and is looking forward to demonstrating that he is all the way back. Irsay has been following him from a distance, but it's different when it happens right in front of you. Irsay will applaud his performance like the gentleman he is - and mean it. But maybe if the performance is good enough there's a little element of doubt introduced into the back of his mind: " I didn't think that he could make it all the way back - I was wrong. That's still the greatest QB of all time - and I let him go."

"Won't admit my feelings to myself". HOW the heck do you imagine that you know what's going on inside my head? Are you a psychic? I've been pretty darn specific here - anything else is what you are projecting on me.

"And what I said was: "I'm sure that he wants to walk back into LOS and demonstrate to Irsay firsthand that the faith would have been warranted. I hope that he does."

And how is he supposed to do that without humiliating Irsay? Tell me what you think he is going to do instead of ridiculing me on my interpretation of you ambiguous statement.

"How dare you tell me "what I meant". What I meant is what I wrote. If you can't comprehend it that's your problem."

"And I STILL haven't said a thing about who I'd want to win."

That is because you can”t defend your statements without saying that Peyton should “stick it” to Irsay

I will tell you what the rest of us saw that you wrote . “I Hope Peyton comes in here and STOMPS on us because that is the only way that Irsay is going to admit that he was wrong.”

You were never angry with Irsay but yet you hope that Peyton proves his worth? You would make a great politician.

Double talk Double Talk Double Talk.

Interpret that JACK

To your first line - it's amusing that you chose to read THAT of all things literally. Obviously the match-up was going to take place eventually, I was just emphasizing that I find the whole thing so uncomfortable that I'd prefer it never happen. I wasn't talking about the reality of the NFL schedule, I was making a point, and contrasting myself with those who cruelly embrace the match-up in hopes of watching Peyton fail miserably. That's perverse.

As to your simplistic declarations in the second paragraph, I'll say that I've heard it a thousand times before on here. It was wrong and ridiculous the first time, and time and repetition has done little to improve it. By the way, questioning someones fanhood is against the forum rules. It tends to get people angry. I've been a Colts fan since the 60's - it's not remotely your place to label me otherwise, nor to presume to know what I'm thinking. If I say that I'm a Colts fan, that means that I'm a Colts fan. Are you calling me a liar? I consider that about the most offensive thing you can say to someone. You need to stop.

Try this - I don't hate Irsay, and NEVER said that I did. Where are you getting that nonsense from?

Of course I love Peyton, and think that any Colts fan who doesn't should have his head examined.

Neither of those things have a blessed thing to do with team loyalty.

You aren't a big fan of subtly or nuance are you? You need to consider the possibility that these aren't black/white issues.

To your first line - it's amusing that you chose to read THAT of all things literally. Obviously the match-up was going to take place eventually, I was just emphasizing that I find the whole thing so uncomfortable that I'd prefer it never happen. I wasn't talking about the reality of the NFL schedule, I was making a point, and contrasting myself with those who cruelly embrace the match-up in hopes of watching Peyton fail miserably. That's perverse.

As to your simplistic declarations in the second paragraph, I'll say that I've heard it a thousand times before on here. It was wrong and ridiculous the first time, and time and repetition has done little to improve it. By the way, questioning someones fanhood is against the forum rules. It tends to get people angry. I've been a Colts fan since the 60's - it's not remotely your place to label me otherwise, nor to presume to know what I'm thinking. If I say that I'm a Colts fan, that means that I'm a Colts fan. Are you calling me a liar? I consider that about the most offensive thing you can say to someone. You need to stop.

Try this - I don't hate Irsay, and NEVER said that I did. Where are you getting that nonsense from?

Of course I love Peyton, and think that any Colts fan who doesn't should have his head examined.

Neither of those things have a blessed thing to do with team loyalty.

You aren't a big fan of subtly or nuance are you? You need to consider the possibility that these aren't black/white issues.

If the shoe fits ware it. If you don't agree then report me for violating the rules.

If the shoe fits ware it. If you don't agree then report me for violating the rules.

The shoe doesn't fit, but you refuse to believe it and are trying to jam it in place anyway. In case you hadn't noticed it's really starting to aggravate the :cuss: out of me.

The shoe doesn't fit, but you refuse to believe it and are trying to jam it in place anyway. In case you hadn't noticed it's really starting to aggravate the :cuss: out of me.

It is obvious that we are on opposite ends of the spectrum and neither of us understands the other. I don’t want to get banned from here and I figure that you don’t want that either so I am going to stop this now.

Believe it or not I enjoyed the argument. It is never a bad thing to see the opposite side of things

NBC "officially" started the hype just a moment ago with a promo.  At the end of it Collinsworth said something true.  Indianapolis never got to give Peyton Manning a proper send off.  I hope the fans (and I am sure they will) cheer the man like crazy during his tribute he deserves that.  From there I hope fans respect the fact it's business and make it as hard as they can by making noise for Peyton to win.  Should be a playoff type of a feel in LOS on Sunday Night. 

NBC "officially" started the hype just a moment ago with a promo.  At the end of it Collinsworth said something true.  Indianapolis never got to give Peyton Manning a proper send off.  I hope the fans (and I am sure they will) cheer the man like crazy during his tribute he deserves that.  From there I hope fans respect the fact it's business and make it as hard as they can by making noise for Peyton to win.  Should be a playoff type of a feel in LOS on Sunday Night. 

Just saw that...is that the one with the "I am coming home song"  Dang....seeing those flashes of him in Colts Blue then Orange...was not easy to see.

Seriously that montage just tugged the heart strings.  

For the record...it was the right choice to choose luck.  Just because it is the right choise...doesn't mean I don't respect, admire, and still aww Peyton.

I am going to watch next week's game, sit back and enjoy it.....  I think..enjoy.

Just saw that...is that the one with the "I am coming home song"  Dang....seeing those flashes of him in Colts Blue then Orange...was not easy to see.

Seriously that montage just tugged the heart strings.  

For the record...it was the right choice to choose luck.  Just because it is the right choise...doesn't mean I don't respect, admire, and still aww Peyton.

I am going to watch next week's game, sit back and enjoy it.....  I think..enjoy.

Exactly, I love Manning and I think just about every Colt fan does too.  I was out to dinner tonight with some friends and they asked if I want to see the Colts crush Peyton and I said you know it doesn't bring me happiness to see bad things happen to Peyton Manning.  He brought me a lot of happiness over the years and probably saved football in Indianapolis.  I am going to full on blue and white Sunday night and I want Luck to find away to pull it out but the idea that some seem to have that being a Colts fan means you have to hate Peyton Manning like he's spent years playing for the Patriots doesn't jive with me. 

Peyton didn't cause a major issue and demand that the Colts let him out of his contract publically.  He handled leaving as classy as you could ask anyone to handle it.  To Irsay's credit he handled it with class too.  How many teams do you know give a guy they are releasing a farewell presser?  They both handled what had to be a very emotional and difficult decision with a tone of class even if it was the right thing to do.  A lot of people in the NFL, both owners and players would not have been able to handle things the way they did.

I kinda look at it like this, seeing Peyton do well is kinda like seeing an ex-girl friend or ex-boy friend end up with the right person down the road.  We have our new squeeze in Luck and we are extremely happy with what we have and Peyton is in a good spot for him too and since we cared so much about Peyton we are happy things worked out for both of us. 

Sunday is just going to be an emotional day with a tone of memories.  I am sorry I don't care how much work Peyton puts into things and how professional he is there is NO WAY being back in Indianapolis isn't going to impact him.  There are too many memories here and too many friends and he loved this city and team too much to have it not.  It doesn't mean he will play poorly but if we as fans get emotional thinking about it I can promise you the guy most directly impacted by it is going to feel it too. 

Collinsworth line about Colts fans never really getting to say good bye was so true.  That is what was missing from the whole thing.  The media got to say it, his teammates got to say it, Irsay got to say it, he got to say it but not us.  That's why without question honoring him Sunday Night is the right thing to do.  Colts fans deserve a chance to say good bye to Peyton Manning and show him we loved him too.  With that said I am sure every single one of those fans that wants to say thank you to Peyton Manning also wants to see a Colts W on Sunday. 

Irsay is totally sincere in the tribute..       of course he is.  

BUT it is also a very nice way to get Peyton "of his game" ..    Indy fans LOVE Peyton,  and he loves them..  this break is still very fresh in Manning's mind.    

That game will be very hard for Manning.    Similar to the Peyton vs Eli games...     Peyton does not like these type conflicts.

I hope Manning gets a 10 minute ovation...    he may very well have his worst game in a long time...   

Spot on. This is not an Irsay ploy, this is a genuine gesture of total respect for the guy. Full stop.

I am starting to have "mixed" emotions about this. Not that my "mixed emotions" will change things one way or the other...

I am concerned about the actual "timing" of this... I read somewhere that it would be 22 minutes long... I think that is a bit excessive, and I also wonder if Peyton will even participate. I know he has a certain routine he sticks to as far as warm-ups prior to the game, and if this is scheduled to happen during that time, I don't see him adjusting his time accordingly.... and anyone with a lick of sense wouldn't expect him to.

Just my thoughts on the subject.